Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Musical Chairs  (Read 18593 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Musical Chairs
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

quote:
Final versions of all eight fortresses gonna go public at the end? I foresee this being veery interesting ^^
They'll all be emailed to me at the same time as the next person, so I will probably upload them on my server as incrementals.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG> I don't think "The fortress is subjected to a severe flood of water or magma, rendering the majority of it uninhabitable" is a reason to consider a fortress unplayable... Fortresses can be rebuilt, or drained if conditions are right...

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]</STRONG>

He's right. It isn't necessarily the end, though I'm damned if I want to drain a giant fortress, unless the fortress is really awesome.

Also, I finished my first year and I have a pretty big writeup, but it seems the aquifer is really deep and I've not finished penetrating it. Any objections to me doing (estimate) another year to finish it? I don't mind starting again and having another shot at getting through in one year, I didn't plan my attack very well... but I'd rather keep going if its okay.

Edit: Actually, scratch that. I can't get through like this. I'll roll back a few seasons.

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: TotalPigeon ]

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 03:13:00 pm »

Wait, don't abandon just yet!  If I read correctly, you are not limited to a year.

The way the rule works is thus:
Each season is a point up to 4, and it is best that you finish a year at least (2 non finishes is an abortion).  
One recieves no additional points for seasons after the first year (It's a good way to ensure that people don't just ignore a fortress and send to the next person), BUT is not limited to just one year, and could theoretically play as much as they wanted within the week that the fortess is theirs.

I could be wrong.  If so, dogonit.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 03:16:00 pm »

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: Pickerel ]

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »

It's not that. I'm having a great time playing, like always, and an even more hilarious time writing up a log book (I'm sure I will do a community fort once this is finished). The problem is, I'm not getting anywhere with the aquifer at the moment, because the way I've attacked it has failed miserably. So, I'm going to start again and have another go. I don't want to run on too far anyway.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Pickerel:
<STRONG>Wait, don't abandon just yet!  If I read correctly, you are not limited to a year.

The way the rule works is thus:
Each season is a point up to 4, and it is best that you finish a year at least (2 non finishes is an abortion).  
One recieves no additional points for seasons after the first year (It's a good way to ensure that people don't just ignore a fortress and send to the next person), BUT is not limited to just one year, and could theoretically play as much as they wanted within the week that the fortess is theirs.

I could be wrong.  If so, dogonit.</STRONG>

This is correct. I played two years on my fort...mostly because I wanted a ridiculous, ostentatious, awesome tomb for my dorf.

"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Okay! I'll do two as well then. I can make some real progress on my [SPOILER] in that amount of time!

Linthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2008, 08:05:00 pm »

Here's my journal entries for the first half of the year. This a quick warning. I may have gone overboard and their a bit lengthy. At the end of the year I'll post a quick summary of what's important for whoever takes over in case their rather not read this.

First Entry: We are lost. Very very lost. We were part of a huge expedition to establish a glorious outpost at a nearby volcano, except our wagon got lost, in the middle of a vast untamed forest. We are running low on supplies but after days of wandering we have finally found a cliff face. Now our only chance of survival is to build a new home.

1st of Granite: (early spring) I’ve been voted the leader of this outpost. Why my fellow dwarfs would vote for a simple mason is unknown, but none of us really are particularly suited for a leadership rule. My first task was to survey the surroundings.

There was a brook in a valley below us. A ramp would be needed for quick access. There was an exposed vain of iron ore, and an entire Cliffside of Dolomite. That got me thinking. Iron and flux, in plain view, and hundreds of trees. I could order a forge to be set up, clear-cut the forest to upset the elves that surely must be nearby in such a tree infested wasteland, make a little steel. If it wasn’t for the fact that we had no idea where we were this wouldn’t be such a bad place.

Then one of my miners ran up to me. “I’ve spotted a deep chasm, full of ratmen. This place is doomed.”
I pulled up the rough map I drew up of the local area and looked at it. Then I replied “You mean this chasm. The one that is physically impossible to reach without climbing a cliff. That’s no danger. Now go start digging.”
   “Yes sir. The construction of WindLeopard will commence.”
   “WindLeopard? There’s not a Leopard in sight. Why is the fortress called WindLeopard?”
   “We voted. It won”
Sometimes I have serious doubts about my fellow dwarfs.

1st of Hematite: (early summer) it’s been three month’s since I was appointed leader. In that time, I have overseen the basic necessities for our fort’s survival. WindLeopard, as much as I shutter the utter such a silly name, now has beds for all seven of us, workshops for the forts basic necessities, even a farm built into a layer of sand found in the cliff’s above. My miners are now carving out stockpiles to safely hold our supplies, and a dining room so we have somewhere nice to eat. I personally took advantage of the grotto our fort is located in to build a gate. When I pull this lever the bridge will rise sealing us from the outside world.

18th of Hematite: (early summer)
Kobolds. Even when you’re utterly lost they can still find you. Two thieves raided the fortress today. The first I saw briefly at the gate before it fled empty handed. The second was torn apart by our wardogs.

1st of Malachite: (mid summer)
I awoke to find a trade depot had been constructed. When I asked my fellow dwarfs why, they said it was for the caravan. When I asked why they expected a caravan, when no one including us had any idea of where we were, they just said not to underestimate the caravans. They're all crazy.
   In other news I’ve had to reassign the fisherdwarf’s duties, after he kept screaming about an eagle being half a mile away. For now he will do whatever odd tasks need to be done.

1st of Limestone. (early autumn)
After being hounded for two month’s about making sure the fort will be in good condition, for the liaison that is never going to arrive because we are LOST, I’ve set up a basic refining operation. Already we have a few bars of steel for our efforts. Not that anyone’s every going to come by to see it.

The second half of the year should be up in the next few days. I'll try to make it a bit shorter next time.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »

The length is good. I'm just worried I have to match that.  ;)

Blacken: When are you sending the emails out (or, I haven't received the email you sent)?

I'll be starting my fortress soon. I found a decent "untamed wilds" location with magma as finding a haunted or similar site with magma proved quite difficult.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

superninjabeast

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

I've started My fortress and all I need to know is how one earth do I take screenshots?

[ January 23, 2008: Message edited by: superninjabeast ]

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

Alt-printscreen and pasting the image in an image program works fine.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2008, 08:26:00 am »

Don't worry about the length. I had about 15 pictures and 30 odd journal entries the first time, and they were all going to go up.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2008, 02:34:00 pm »

quote:
Blacken: When are you sending the emails out (or, I haven't received the email you sent)?
Classes are over for the week, I should be sending them out tonight or tomorrow.

apache1990

• Bay Watcher
  • Arena Master
    • View Profile
    • Bay Watcher Arena V2.0!
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 02:07:00 am »

The Fortress
I'll work on it more tomorrow, I haven't actually had time to play it much yet.

But I got all my 50 pitchblende locked away safely (though I used one piece to make the door protecting the rest).

TotalPigeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

Aww, it turns out the spot I spent all that time searching for has (at least) three levels of aquifer... I just can't work my way through all of that in a year, even two, I'm going to need more like at least 4. Plus I'm gonna have to bring about 200 stone for making gear assemblies with me and to build an epic wind farm to pump it out... Not happening, at least not today. I guess I'll find somewhere else.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11