Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How it All Began...  (Read 2505 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
How it All Began...
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:28:33 am »

Here's a little writing exercise, hope it's decent

Long ago ( not in a galaxy far, far away ) there were elves.  These weren't the elves we know today, oh no, these elves were quite different.  They were immortal, tree-loving, and corpse eating, yes, but there were differences.  For one thing, they knew how to work metal.  You don't believe me?  Suit yourself.  You're going to find out anyway. 

As I was saying, these elves were different, sort of, from their modern day descendants.  They could work metal, they were great warriors, and they were actually were pretty decent.  Again, wipe that look of disbelief off your face.  Just listen. 

These proto-elves ruled all the lands of the south, while the goblins, their eternal enemy, controlled the north.  They warred, made peace, and then warred all over again, it was pretty routine.  Look, I can see you're getting bored, just hear me out.  This is where it stops becoming routine. 

If you had been paying any attention, these proto-elves could forge, craft and dig.  Yes, they dug, just for standard metals like iron and bronze.  They were experimenting with magma even, and with this weapon, they could have ruled the world.  Until one elven miner found a certain blue ore. 

You know what I'm talking about.  Light as a feather, but sharper and tougher than any other metal, the elves ( yes, for the last time, the elves ) dug deeper and deeper, mining as much of this glorious metal as they could.  Alas, this metal rush, and resulting golden age, was not to last.  For in their insatiable greed, they opened the pits. 

The demons, those wretched beasts, swarmed out like flies onto a rotten corpse, devastating everything in their path.  But, these elves were greater than they are today.  Stronger, too.  They made the demons fight for every inch, and when the secret to both magma and the blue metal was finally revealed, they armed themselves.  The demons, facing a determined army of indestructible magma wielders, were wiped out, and the remaining few fled into the pits. 

What happened to these remaining few demons?  Well, they were the smart ones, for fleeing so quickly.  They were indeed cunning, and knowing that they could not engage the elves directly, used an immensely effective plan of subterfuge.  They started by systematically ( and non-lethally ) bleeding themselves dry.  They spread their blood upwards through the Earth, past all the metals and dirt, until they reached the vegetation.  The inherently corrupting nature of demons infected the plants.  Most of the plants died, but a few plants survived, one plant being notable amongst all the others. 

This plant was a plump helmet. 

The elves found this plant, and learned that they could only grow it away from the purifying gaze of the sun.  They used it as food, but it's bad taste made it far from popular, that is, until a single plump helmet fell into a well.  The resulting elixir of plant extract mixed with water was a strong substance, known by all as: booze.

The elves who discovered this gladly welcomed this new treasure, learning to grow it without water, even in the harshest environments.  The booze served as a peacemaker, for the elves were starting to fracture, many factions wondering how to best use all their talents and technology.  The booze calmed the situation, but it led to a far worse one. 

The true hardcore drinkers, driven to great obsession with plump helmets, decided to live underground, much to the confusion of the less alcoholic elves.  I'm guessing you know what happens next.  These underground elves, grew shorter, grew facial hair, and grew more obnoxious.  They grew protective of their booze and their underground lairs, and resolved to protect all of it by destroying their elven brethren. 

The Great Booze War started.  The elves, at first, were winning easily, due to their superior numbers and superior determination.  The dwarves, the newly christened abominations, fought hard, but the booze alone was not enough reason for them to fight.  Some of the dwarves wanted to give up, and surrender.  That changed one day, when a stranger from one of the first fortresses came.  He was clad, head to toe, with the indestructible metal, and wielded two, yes two, weapons strapped to his back. 

This strange Dwarf, whose name I cannot reveal, was the survivor from one of the first Dwarven outposts.  It was destroyed by lava, by rampaging elephants, by flaming fisticuffs swinging Dwarves, and by the follies of their numerous overseers.  The survivor descended into madness, shouting about a God of Blood, who would lead the Dwarves into a new age.  And with that proclamation, he lit himself on fire and jumped into a barrel of booze.

A new religion spread.  The Dwarves fought with renewed fervor, pushing the elves back.  The only reason the elves survived was because they sought asylum in the forests, with the great beasts.  The beasts only allowed them within the forests on the grounds that they forsake all knowledge of fire, wood, and hunting.  The elves agreed. 

And so, the Dwarves, mutated booze beasts that they were, after a tumultuous genesis, stood triumphant. 

A third race, a moderate one, with both the grace and wisdom of the elves, along with the industriousness and love for battle of Dwarves, emerged.  Homo Sapiens Sapiens, as they were called, made a name for themselves as both builders and destroyers.

What does the future hold for these three races?  The answer, my friend, is magma. 

My whacky origin story has ended, any constructive criticism is appreciated. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:33:33 am by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How it All Began...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:49 am »

:o

you, my good sir, are EPIC

nice way of using boatmurdered as a plot object. (and the plump hemets! :bow:)

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:39:22 pm »

Good story.

Coolnesstod

• Bay Watcher
  • Drink, Work, Repeat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:42:52 pm »

Its... I....  :'( :'( :'(  Its so BEAUTIFUL!
All glory to the Hypnotoad.
Random fact: Robin Williams was once addicted to cocaine during the late 1980's/early 1990's.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:37:08 pm »

Cool story. But I'd like to point out that you also neglected to mention how these "Homo Sapien Sapiens" as you call them came to be.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:04 pm »

Cool story. But I'd like to point out that you also neglected to mention how these "Homo Sapien Sapiens" as you call them came to be.

Like I said, they were the moderates, they drank the booze, but not too much.  That's how they were spared from becoming dorfs.

Oh, and thanks for the Joker, that's an honor, kerlc. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:41 am »

This I like.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:43:23 am »

yeah i didnt really like the way you dealt with the humans. you should've left them out entirely or gone into way more detail, imo. preferably the former.

other than that, excellent!

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

I like to think the humans are born of dwarf and elven blood.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.