Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ropequest  (Read 2341 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Ropequest
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:39:45 am »

Chapter 1. On the Superiority of Dwarves

"Nish Standardcrazes, Sire." Having made the required announcement the guard stepped back into the shadows beside the grand doors. Alone, Nish proceeded down the gloomy colonnade to the dimly lit throne at the far end. His boots echoed dully from the darkness beyond the slender supports and despite his preoccupation he found time to appreciate the elegance of their construction.

Nish stopped at the foot of the pedestal supporting the ponderous throne and waited. Upon the seat of power sat a dwarf swathed in cloth of funereal black and gray. More correctly he slouched in the chairs stone embrace, propped against a grotesquely carved arm rest as if slowly sagging beneath an unseen weight. He stared ruminatively into the darkness and gave no indication that he had either heard Nish's introduction or noticed his approach.

Nish waited in silence for a time but with no indication of initiative from the other, decided to break the silence. "You summoned me, my King?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Amost Dabblinginks plucked absently at his dark garments. No-one knew for certain what he mourned or that in fact his choice of garb signified anything at all. Most figured he grieved for a family long since lost to both time and the memory of his subjects. Others less sympathetic complained that he sorrowed for himself and his fate. Some conjectured that he lamented for The Uncertain Volcano itself.

"Do you judge the Dwarves preeminent amongst the civilized peoples?" he did not shift his eyes to his subject as he spoke and so it seemed his bass voice addressed the mysterious darkness beyond the colonnade.

"My lord?" offered Nish uncertainly, somewhat nonplussed and not entirely sure that the question was not rhetorical.

"A simply question requires no repetition," sighed the King gloomily to the dark.

Nish cleared his throat and decided to answer the question on its merit without speculating on the eccentricities of his liege. "Ahem. Well, there is no doubt in my mind that we as a people, us Dwarves, are unrivalled as a civilization, Sire."

Amost finally shifted to face his guest. He did not do it all at once. He moved as if on a single tie line directed by a slow and disinterested puppeteer. First one arm swung out to the other side of the chair. Then after a moment of supposed consideration he shifted his hips so that he was no longer leaning away from Nish. Lastly he levered his head around and propped his luxuriantly bearded chin on one fist before it could drop to his chest. The whole display left Nish feeling vaguely inconsiderate. If he had walked to be within the kings gaze from the first he could have saved him the apparent effort.

"Then we are in agreement," Amost finally replied. "Listen attentively now, for this next question is not so simple. Why do you believe...You, Nish. You. Why do you believe in the superiority of Dwarves?"

Nish studied the saturnine monarch on his throne as he carefully considered the query. At first thought the answer, or more correctly answers, seemed easily apparent to Nish and so he prudently decided to take his time in contemplation. King Dabblinginks impassively awaited his subjects reasoning, his slow and infrequent blinking the only evidence of his animation. He gave every indication of a willingness to wait without interrupting for as long as it took Nish to reach a conclusion.

Eventually, finding no trick in the question, Nish inhaled deeply to reply, "Our superiority is plainly displayed in our great works, unmatched by any rivals. In our art and our architecture. In our soaring structures and in our fathomless delvings. It is shown in our cunning mechanisms and in our unyielding steel and in so many more ways, but perhaps it is best and most simply reflected in the envious eyes of goblin, elf and man."

"I ask for the cause and you offer me symptoms," breathed the King dispiritedly. He had sat unmoved through Nish's speech and now remained staring into the young dwarve's cobalt eyes. Nish stiffened slightly but remained calm despite the King's bleak criticism.

"Will you enlighten me, Lord?" prompted Nish.

"There. In that question of yours is a clue to the truth," muttered Amost cryptically. "It is not what the dwarves know or have done, Nish Standardcrazes, it is that we know and have done it."

Nish pondered King Dabblinginks words for long moments but when it became apparent that he did not understand, Amost continued, "Slay a peacock and use its feathers to line a cap. You now possess an impressive cap. That you did not grow the feathers does not change the fact. Were the goblins to overrun us tomorrow with slaughter and claim the mountainhomes, our creations would be theirs, and thus by one measure in your summation they would be our equals. It is not so."

Amost slouched forward, holding the others gaze intently. "Steel is but a secret and were the elves to learn it even by treachery or guile you believe they would be closer to our match? They would not. Mechanisms are a genius not beyond the grasp of human intellect given time or instruction, and in its mastery would they become our peers? No."

Nish had began shaking his finger unconsciously, a habit of his when thinking or trying to remember. He was not a slow-witted dwarf and felt on the verge of understanding. Seeing this, the sepulchral king became quiescent again and waited.

Slowly Nish's wagging finger became still and he refocused on his expectant king. When he spoke it was in a speculative tone. "But they don't know and have not done, Sire. And neither could they hope to learn or create what we have, if we had not first done so. Is that it? It is not what we have learned or created, but that we have thought to seek the knowledge and put it to use in the first place."

Amost's visage remained bleak but he inclined his head to the younger dwarf. "There. That is the truth. It is our thirst for knowledge and our pursuit of it that raises us beyond the standards of others. It is not the lore we currently have, for knowledge owes loyalty to no master and what we hold now will inevitably pass to others. But if in that time we have gained new insight and created new wonders to overshadow our past limits, our preeminence is reaffirmed and assured. The Uncertain Volcano shall never rest on it laurels while I am King. All of which brings us to my reason for summoning you, Nish Standardcrazes."

Nish toyed with the thick braid of his long beard as he gazed curiously at Amost who was again shifting in his throne by slow and deliberate increments. Having assumed a new yet still entirely inappropriate posture the king asked in a subdued tone, "How many monarchs has the Uncertain Volcano known since the first Queen Zasit Pulleyford?"

Nish blinked doubtfully. "I'm unsure, my Lord, but it has been many-"

"Two hundred and ninety two, including myself," interrupted Amost. "I have studied the engravings1. Do you know how long a ruler of the Uncertain Volcano is usually destined to live upon ascendancy to the throne?"

"Again I am unsure, Sire, but-"

"Four years. On average," interjected the King dourly. "I figured the math2. Most managed one and none more than fourteen. Two hundred and ninety two dead monarchs over a thousand years. All but one of them requiring the establishment of a new line. The cost of royal tombs alone has done more to impoverish us than any famine or war in our history!"

Amost was now at his most animated since his guest had first arrived, but his bitterness remained a strangely detached thing. "None doubt the throne cursed, how could they? And we have long since learned to keep our best and brightest from ascending it. That is how the burden has fallen to me in my misfortune and there is no reason to suspect that I will out live those who came before. I am in my first year of rule and if history is any indication I do not possess the luxury of time in which to consolidate my legacy or the elevation of my people."

King Dabblinginks paused to release a protracted breath through his long nose. The dwarven king seemed to slowly deflate and crumple in upon himself before Nish's eyes, the brief intimation of the vigour of moments ago now gone. "I charge you with a task, Nish Standardcrazes," intoned Amost grimly, "and I will not offer you the luxury of refusal."

"I will serve you to the best of my abilities, my Liege," replied Nish apprehensively.

"You are to go forth and seek new knowledge to distinguish your King, our civilization, and our Gods," instructed Amost somberly. "But I will not cut you loose without direction, for I know that to be as sure an invitation to failure as any other. No, you will limit your empirical crusade to one field."

Somewhat dazed by the mounting implications of all that he was hearing Nish asked tentatively, "Which field, Sire?"

"Restraints," replied Amost flatly.

"My Lord?" queried Nish quizzically.

"Restraints!" sighed his King testily. "You know, both ropes of cloth and chains of metal. You are to investigate the use of restraints and report new knowledge of their application."

Nish shifted his weight from foot to foot as he quickly considered his options. He did not find many. "Forgive me, Sire, is there not a more promising field you could task me with exploring? Have we not already established all there is to know of ropes and chains? "

"You think so, do you?" rumbled the king softly. "You think we know restraints in their totality and that there is nothing more of interest to glean? Pray that you are wrong, or your time in the field will be long as you are not to return until you succeed. This is the task that you have been given and you will accept it without complaint, as is the dwarven way. Others will be bestowed tasks perhaps more burdensome than your own, do not think that I would limit my legacy to a sole enterprise."

Nish dropped his eyes from his bleak liege and inhaled deeply while digesting all he had been told. His eyes moved to the monstrous throne supporting the largely supine monarch and for the first time he paused to admire its extravagant bulk. It held the king aloft like a titans hand proffering a sack of rocknuts to the unseen sky somewhere beyond the fortress hold. Cursed or not, it was an exceptional piece of furniture and it lightened Nish's spirits.

"I have but one question, Sire."

"Only one?" muttered Amost. "That hardly bodes well for you in this endeavor."

"Why have you chosen me?" quizzed the young dwarf.

"Ah. Egocentric curiosity. That I can understand and easily answer. I chose you, Nish Standardcrazes, because I deem that you have some of the skill and disposition required to lead this expedition with at least an even chance of success. And to be blunt, you have not made yourself so indispensable to me in Papertemples that I can not afford to risk your life in a venture that may well be doomed to failure and death."

Nish accepted the kings explanation stoically.

"I have done all that I can by you, Nish Standardcrazes," intoned Amost pensively. "It is the millennium year by our calendars reckoning. An auspicious year to begin. I will allow you command of six other dwarves so that you are seven when you venture out, a holy number known to be lucky. I give you free rein in your choice of companions. And though you have the weight of royal decree I would request that you attempt to involve those dwarves eager to accompany you if possible. I chose you partly for your nascent ability at keeping rebellion at abeyance, but you'd be best served if not quashing mutiny at every turn. I suggest you pay especial reverence at the shrine to Lūk and Vumom for they are the gods most intimately linked to your task. I am informed that you are a worshipper of Vunom. That is apt. Please see the clerk on your way out for details on the credit you will be allowed to purchase supplies."

As he spoke King Dabblinginks slowly jerked and rolled over to lay against his thrones gnarled arm, his eyes once more surveying the darkness beyond the colonnade and his doleful mind once more free of Nish.

Nish bowed gravely to Dabblinginks royal back before retreating from the oppressive chamber and its moribund occupant. 

1 I counted them in region1-world_history.txt
2 Again worked it out from region1-world_history.txt

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Ropequest
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:26:53 pm »

Nice writing. Confused of what the hell king meant with restraints... Is it just a story, or community game?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 06:01:16 am »

Thanks, P. I'm not surprised you're confused as even Nish doesn't yet know how he'll satisfy the King. I'll be writing the story around my gameplay which will span both (all three?) modes. More or less as things do or don't go to plan. But the point is not the sotry, that's just to try and keep me motivated. My aim is to test some things for the record. Dwarf science, if you like. The next post should make it clearer.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:21:01 am »

Posting to support and watch. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Chapter 2. Tavern-Talk
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 11:37:05 am »

At length Amost's newest knight-errant headed back to his chambers with his feet dragging and his mind in turmoil. King Dabblinginks recondite words played over and again in his head, but no matter how he racked his brain he could see no way forward. Restraints? Ropes of cloth and chains of metal? To fail a royal task entrusted him before an outset was a shame too acute to consider, let alone bear. Should he simply reconcile himself to a life of exile in the wilderness and be done with it? Was he doomed forever by a mad King and his own limitations?

Nish reached his chamber door and paused to press his forehead against the barrier. His was not an exceptional door by any means, but it was carved and crafted to befit a dwarf of his station which no-one could doubt. Nish's dwarven heart had no recourse but to be pleased. He lingered there soothing his troubled brow against the cool stone when Zasit found him. "Ho, Nish. Doors are opened with the hand, not ones head. There's your trouble."

Heaving a disheartened sigh Nish opened the door and passed through, leaving it ajar for Zasit. The second dwarf followed him and continued in a cheerful manner, "I've finished plotting our initial trade route. All it requires is your approval."

Nish flung himself onto his bed to lie supine with his eyes closed. "There will be no trade route this year, Zasit," he breathed. "There will be no caravan."

Zasit pursed his lips but did not immediately reply. With his eyes closed Nish could hear Zasit busying himself in his chambers but he neither knew or at that moment cared what he was about. Restraints, he pondered. Ropes of cloth and chains of metal. What could he do? The darkness beyond his eyelids lightened and a moment later he felt his elbow nudged. "Here," instructed Zasit. "Drink this."

Nish opened his eyes to find that Zasit had lit more candles and now stood beside his bed proffering a mug. Nish took the mug and propped himself up to drink. Sweet elixir! He downed the imported longland beer in one draught and wiped the suds from his whiskers with the back of his hand. He felt immensely better.

"Well, now that we seem to have siphoned some life into you, would you make with an explanation, boss?" queried Zasit airily. He sat himself down on the natural stone beside the bed, his bald head tilted up at Nish, expectant.

Zasit had first met Nish as a caravan guard when Nish was an aspiring merchant volunteering his services in exchange for instruction and experience. They became fast friends. Zasit was not naturally suited to the life of a guard as his girth attested, but he possessed an intellect sharper than most. When Nish was ready to chance his own mercantile enterprise he offered his friend a junior partnership which Zasit eagerly accepted. This year was to be the start of their venture. But all had now changed.

Nish regarded his friend sorrowfully. "I met with the King," he said softly.

"Oh! Is that it? No wonder you've taken a turn. But we've a diversified inventory and I can't imagine Dabblinginks issuing a mandate against it all."

"He has issued no mandate against our stock," replied Nish, his face grim. "Rather he's placed a mandate on my autonomy. By royal decree I am to embark on a mission to secure the Kings legacy and elevate the Uncertain Volcano. I can't do that and lead a caravan at the same time."

Zasit gave a long, low whistle, his eyes wide in his round face. "Doesn't ask much of you, does he? How does he expect you to do it?"

"With restraints," Nish said flatly.

"Come again?"

Nish grunted in frustration and levered himself from bed. He placed the empty mug on a shelf before pacing up and down the room. "That was my reaction. By restraints he means ropes and chains. He has directed me to investigate them and only them. I am not to return until I have unearthed new knowledge. But what more is there to be known? Perhaps he would like to know the length of a piece of string? To my mind that is the only question yet to be answered."

"Come now, do not let yourself be so easily defeated," counseled Zasit pragmatically. "Our King is many things, but what he's not is a dwarf amused by trite idioms. I would not go to him with that as your solution to his precious legacy."

Nish returned to his bed and perched on it facing Zasit, his face earnest. "I do not wish to be defeated, but I can see no was forward, Zasit. The King has lumbered me with an impossible task. I am sorry but you had best turn your mind to your own business now that I have been cut loose of it and leave me to ponder my fate."

Zasit rose to his feet and smoothed his trousers. "Nonsense," he declared. "I will help you."

Nish smiled bleakly. "Dabblinginks has bequeathed unto me the authority to take six dwarves along, but for the sake of friendship I intend to spare you the honour."

The fat dwarf grinned wryly and clasped his hands before him on his belly. "But don't you know? Lūk strike me down if I haven't just found inspiration! There may well be a barrel of booze at the end of the tunnel for you yet, my friend."

Nish gripped his beard, his gaze intent and his voice carefully modulated. "Now is not the time to bait me with false hope, Zasit." Zasit flapped his pudgy hands dismissively and sat down beside Nish on his bed almost overturning the other dwarf.

"I have been reminded of a story I heard in the tavern. It was interesting and diverting on an intellectual level but it had no practical value to me until now. Especially the conjecture raised by the those present to listen at the time." That an intellectual discussion would occur in a tavern was no surprise to Nish. He understood it to be the most likely place of all. The rejuvenating effect of alcohol on dwarven physiology was a well known fact and never was a dwarf more inclined to discuss ideas than after a hearty draught. Scholars and philosophers tended to gravitate to taverns as a matter of course. When abroad on business no few dwarves had been disappointed to discover that human taverns did not quite possess the same atmosphere.

"So from memory, there was on this day a trader in the tavern who spoke of a land far beyond the Wealthy Ocean to the south. In this land was a King with a strange fetish. He had an obsession with sea serpents, of all things. Admired them for their majesty, I would imagine." Zasit paused to playfully nudge Nish in the ribs with a round elbow before continuing.

"But the King was troubled for sea serpents had become rare in the waters bounding his land. He despatched a party to found an outpost on the coast. They were tasked with capturing the last of the beasts and breeding them safely to ensure their survival. As you may imagine, the activity involved engineering on a massive scale. Ropes and chains were used to keep the serpents in place once captured."

"A remarkable venture to be sure, Zasit, but we already know that animals can be constrained by restraints," remarked Nish patiently.

"Ah, but did you know that once released from a restraint via mechanism and lever, the line remains fastened to their necks?" countered Zasit.

"As a matter of fact I do. And I wager Dabblinginks knows, too."

"But does he know what happens after that?" Zasit was smiling broadly now, plainly pleased with himself.

"I don't quite follow," Nish had begun rubbing his brow, fearing that this would all inevitably come to nought.

"What happens, Nish Standardcrazes, to the rope around a creatures neck when it escapes into the wilds with the cable dangling behind it? Dangling behind like an umbilical cord to signify it's rebirth from captivity?"

Nish shot to his feet and gripped the grinning Zasit by both shoulders, "By all ten gods, you have it! You're a genius!" Nish's sense of relief was acute. Here was a genuine lead on the Kings seemingly impossible demand. Perhaps his mission was not doomed after all. Perhaps he would not live out his remaining years a bitter and resentful exile from the mountainhomes. Dabblinginks had not specified the amount or even usefulness of the new knowledge he was tasked with finding. This was surely his best hope.

Laughing, Zasit waved Nish off and demurred, "I can't take credit for more than listening. It was others that offered the conjecture that now serves to guide you. I believe it was the Philosopher Sphalerite and the Metal Crafter Saruth Nilunzon who first theorized on the subject at the time..." Zasit went on to recount all that he had heard during that day in the tavern and Nish listened attentively, at times interjecting or theorizing in turn.

Slowly the two dwarves formulated the embryonic stages of a plan. Nish wagged a finger absently as he summarized their lengthy musings, "We need to find a site with a small population of aggressive and robust creatures. Aggressive so that they will more readily fall into our cage traps and robust enough to ensure their survival when released back into the wilds with lasso attached. If the population is small the chances of the original beast returning to our outpost is increased. If we recapture an original escapee it will incontrovertibly confirm the viability of tracking individual specimens via restraints and my duty to my king will be done. In the meantime we can investigate the other questions raised."

"Sounds about right," said Zasit with a nod.

"Now all I need do is find such a site," frowned Nish.

"You leave that to me, my friend," said Zasit cheerily.

"What do you mean? You know of such a place?"

"No, of course not," laughed Zasit, his belly bouncing. "I barely remember the sky. But I intend to venture forth and find one for you while you remain here to organize yourself and the dwarves that will accompany you on this mission. When I find a likely site I will send word to you with directions."

"Zasit!" exclaimed Nish, grasping the others plump arm. "I can not ask this of you, it is too dangerous. We will find another way."

Zasit calmly removed his friends grasping hand from his arm and replied, "You did not ask me. I volunteered. You speak of danger as if unmindful of insulting me, your good friend!" Zasit adopted an air of mock indignation. "Was I not a caravan guard when I met you? Do I not still know my way around a sword and shield? Of course I do. The fact is you have no-one else to turn to, Nish. Dabblinginks will not sit patiently on the cursed throne while you think and plan interminably. No, he will want to see action being taken, so for your own beard's sake do not turn me aside."

Nish Standardcrazes bowed his head, humbled. He felt moisture at the corner of his eyes when he lifted his gaze to regard his jolly and faithful friend. "Then I accept. But if you die, I will never forgive myself."

"Ho ho! Fear not! What hides in the wilderness to trouble so courageous a dwarf as I?" boasted Zasit outrageously. Nish smiled wanly at his friend, his heart as heavy as a stone in his chest.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:34:08 pm »

small population of aggressive and robust creatures
Giant eagles!
iI's Dwarven ornithology. You decorate images on the ropes and chains before restaining eagles, and when - if - you meet released one, you can determine it's way of migration.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:20 am »

Now you have the idea. But giant eagles sound a little too difficult, plus there are 2000 of them in my pocket world so they're not exactly rare. I have another creature in mind.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Chapter 3. The Crimson Vandal of Burials
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:57:29 am »

Zasit Mineflesh mopped at his brow with a pig tail kerchief. Rapidly fading daylight found the travel-stained and bone-weary dwarf somewhere in the Trustworthy Steppe. He could not be surer of his location for the steppe was vast and mostly desolate and he, never a woodsdwarf, was now lost. For the last several hours he had blundered through the wilds in search of shelter to pass the coming night. He had found nothing more than sparse trees and gently rolling plains. With dusk upon him he finally gave up the search and sat himself down on the sward.

Zasit heaved a sigh. Who'd have thought the simple exertion of hiking could prove so taxing? He was sweating profusely despite the chill and now faced an unpleasant vigil with his back propped against an unsympathetic tree. He must build himself a fire, he knew. There was little chance of sleep and a real chance of freezing without one. In a moment, he told himself, I'll just rest a little first. His stubby legs ached and the prospect of bending over his paunch to gather kindling discouraged him.

"It's later...Than...You think."

The sinister words floated from the gloom. Startled, Zasit clumsily scrambled to his feet in a nervous tangle of sword and shield. A snicker echoed as the dwarf turned in a nervous circle, his eyes straining to see in the dark. "Who goes there? Show yourself!"

"What do...We have...Here?" A second purring voice joined the first and Zasit felt his legs turning to water as more snickers rose from the dark.

"A dwarf...See...Its fear," menaced a third, scabrous and cruel. Titters rippled from the benighted wood all around. Zasit swung his trembling sword in a vain attempt to keep them at bay. The suffocating onset of panic had begun to tighten his throat. How many were there? Was he surrounded even now?

"No...Too fat...For a dwarf," argued another. "A hog...With a sword." More sniggering, harsher now, and Zasit could no longer deny knowledge of his doom.

"We will...Carve it...With its own sharp." All of a sudden the softly derisive laughter exploded into a multitudinous cackling so manic, so claustrophobically intense, that Zasit fled into the dark without conscious thought.

Zasit Mineflesh did not believe in bogeymen. They were a fairy tale. He had slept under night skies in his former caravan guard days but never alone. The dwarven caravans all had a strict night-time policy. No dwarf was to be unaccompanied for any length of time, no matter what. Zasit followed the directive scrupulously, as did they all, but he always figured it a quaint tradition with no basis in fact. Maybe, he theorized, it had started as a jape amongst veterans intent on frightening greenhorns but had somehow stuck in the minds of the superstitious and grown from there. No-one he spoke to had ever seen one, though everyone's friend through a friend could attest to them. Zasit was so confident of the fallacy of bogeymen that he had ventured out into the wilderness for Nish, alone, with no fear of the night. His confidence proved misplaced.

Zasit careened through the wilds with no clear notion in his head but to escape. The available moonlight did little to facilitate speedy egress but he hurtled on. He crashed through undergrowth heedless of injury and narrowly avoided obstacles in his haste to be away. But his pursuers were not easily eluded. Abruptly, a chilling cackle sounded to his left and he instinctively swerved aside. His overwrought eyes glimpsed a brief intimation of fluffed-out feathers resolving from the dark before his terrified mind shied away from comprehending the perverse entirety. Time and again half-seen horrors in the murk forced the dwarf to alter course as frenzied laughter mounted hot on his heels.

A distant corner of Zasits mind feared he was being toyed with and herded for the bogeymens gratification but the larger part knew there was nothing more he could do to lengthen his last moments. His ragged breath sawed from his abused lungs and he could not be certain that he wasn't sobbing. Suddenly one of the fiends crowed wickedly and closed on the dwarf with alarming speed. It had thin-wings of stretched skin and its hide was sleek and smooth. It viciously struck at Zasit who just barely raised his shield in time. The fat dwarf essayed a counter-strike but the monster avoided it with such contemptuous ease that he knew himself hopelessly outmatched. More figures coalesced from the dark. Solitary eyes, waxy skin, unkempt hair, fanning antennae, multiple horns. They were diverse in form but united in murder and Zasit realized utter despair. The cackling sadists closed on him triumphantly.

Abruptly, inexplicably, all emotion and concern fled the dwarf like ale spilling from a broken barrel. Zasit turned to rush the bogeymen, his face a mask. The monsters darted away in confusion, suddenly wary of a sword wielded with an artistry to match their preternatural celerity. Their erstwhile patsy now fearlessly charged amongst them using his greater bulk to ruthless effect, scattering them. A long-tailed, curly-haired beast attacked but was thwarted by his shield and in the next moment struck upon the arm with his sword. A three-horned aberration sought to capitalize on Zasit's preoccupation but was side-stepped with an agility belying the sworddwarfs girth. Zasit charged again, knocking his opponent down and slashing a deep cut upon its crooked leg. More bogeymen closed on the dwarf from all sides but none could land a blow upon him as he bled them expertly.

He was no longer Zasit Mineflesh, the former caravan guard come entrepreneur, jovial and fat. That dwarf was far away and uninvolved, his flesh requisitioned as a vessel of dwarven war. It was not unheard of that in times of dire struggle or when facing overwhelming odds a dwarf might draw the notice of Gomath. It was a prime topic of theological excogitation and indeed many dwarves campaigned their entire lives in fruitless pursuit of the experience. Zasit had never sought the state himself, largely on account of the dangerous prerequisites. But conscious desire was no guide, so in this place and on this night he had unknowingly become an avatar of Gomath Slaughterhelped, dwarven patron of war.

For that protracted moment of divine reverie Zasit stabbed feet, slashed arms, severed spines, crushed chests, broke hands, lopped limbs and cut a monster in twain. The dwarf sustained no more than a bruised right foot. He felt no pain, suffered no fatigue and knew no fear. He was in many ways a detached spectator to his own dire struggle. He was in a waking dream that held no power to move him beyond an abstracted curiosity concerning his own combative resourcefulness. But no mortal vessel could hope to channel Gomaths force for long. On the verge of conquering his unnatural foes, Gomaths trance proved fleeting. Holy serenity left Zasit as abruptly as it had arrived. All suspended panic and weariness now rushed back to fill the void, threatening to issue from his mouth in a scream.

"Flay your flesh for this!" snarled a mutilated beast before biting the dwarfs right foot. Recoiling in terror, Zasit broke the bogeymans clamp on his pig tail fiber shoe and the vengeful creature bled to death before him. The dwarf may have expected to rout or at the very least discourage most enemies with the inspired swordplay of moments ago but the remaining bogeymen were uncowed. Alien minds overflowing with hate and fury held no notion of morale. No maiming could deter their assault and no crippling would halt their advance. A winged assailant reared up before the dwarf and was, more by accident than design, knocked down and hacked on its leathery pennon by his blade. Zasit wasted no time pressing an advantage and instead fled.

The swordsdwarf hurtled chaotically from the scene of his glorification, the less injured bogeymen and their laughter in close pursuit. Despite his exhaustion the bogeymen could not close the gap on their prey and for the first time Zasit dared hope of true escape. He wound from tree to tree, striving to lose them, when a sardonic cachinnation erupted from ahead heralding the arrival of a new bogeyman. Even as he veered away from the latest arrival he espied another racing close behind. They were as inescapable as the night that spawned them. The dwarfs adrenalized limbs faltered in dismay. Defeated, Zasit was on the verge of submitting to his tormentors when something new caught his eye to the north. He could say no more of its nature than that it was not a bogeyman, but that was enough to spur him on.

He hurried in the direction of the mysterious entity and then followed as it retreated. To the dwarf it seemed as if he was being purposefully led through the steppe. Drawing on his last reserves, Zasit redoubled his efforts and closed on his guide and supposed savior. It was a badger running before him. That Zasit did not despair hinted to his currently slender grip on reality. Not for a moment did he imagine a terrified animal startled from its home to flee from both him and the bogeymen. Since Gomaths earlier intervention it required little conceit on Zasits part to see the badger as an omen of further divine interest in his plight. From the evidence he knew it was Momuz that now succored him. He was the antithesis of night and all darkness so it was only reasonable that he would oppose bogeymen threatening his believers. Zasit understood that Momuz had used his dominion over trees to send a celestial creature of the forests to deliver him from evil.

When another badger joined the first and they both rounded on Zasit to advance with their teeth bared his faith did not falter. The tireless bogeymen had again managed to close on the waning dwarf so Momuzs furry delegates turned to join the fray. When the berserk animals snapped at the dwarf with their slavering jaws he understood their message and did not retaliate. Fly Zasit, their gnashing communicated to him, we will hold them. Deflecting the zealous creatures with his shield, he sped passed them without hesitation in the direction they had shown. The rabid growling of badgers quickly merged with the frenzied cackling of bogeymen to form a new and ghastly cacophony as the two opposing contingents joined battle.

Zasit did not look back. Staggering on, the dwarf cast about desperately for signs of the safety the helpful animals undoubtedly intended for him. He did not dare slow down enough for a thorough search in the dark and instead hoped that he would stumble upon sanctuary before it was too late. Not far behind, the sounds of badger resistance were being swiftly and brutally curtailed, leaving behind only cackling. The fat dwarf felt deep sorrow in his heart. All he could do now was survive so that the badgers heroic sacrifice would not prove in vain. And then, through tears, he espied a greater darkness ahead which caused his faltering heart to soar. Zasit was a dwarf, and any dwarf would have recognized it as an opening in the ground. Badgers be praised!

Running, stumbling, bellowing incoherently, Zasit made for the breach with his last strength even as sick laughter surged behind him. He plunged into the cave and down a short descent, blundering from earthen wall to earthen wall when suddenly the cackling faltered and died from outside.

The only sound now was the dwarfs laboured wheezing. He screwed his eyes tightly shut and gave fervent thanks to the gods while leaning against the cavern wall in an effort to catch his breath. He prayed especially to Momuz, and gave him tribute by making solemn oath to never slay a natural animal for as long as he lived, in honour of the courageous badgers that sacrificed their lives for his own. He still felt guilt and remorse at their passing. So wrapped up was Zasit in religious piety that he failed to notice that he was not alone. An ominous growl reverberated through the cavern and when the dwarf opened his eyes his prayers died on his lips. Before him stood the biggest cat he had ever seen.

Any forester worth his salt could tell you that a wilderness cave more often than not proved occupied. Zasit, ignorant of the wilds, had let his guard down as soon as the tumult without ceased. When the enormous cougar snarled to announce its presence it came as a dreadful shock to the ragged dwarf. He dumbly gawped at the predator while trying to reconcile its presence with the sanctuary Momuz had supposedly intended for him. Was this feline another agent of the divine? Certainly its size hinted to something beyond the mundane. The dwarfs tired feet remained rooted to the spot while he speculated, failing to take heed of the cougars warning to leave its den at once.

Zasits frazzled mind was still trying to decide whether this was another messenger, possibly of a displeased deity, when the cougar pounced. The dwarf emitted a strangled cry and raised his shield to fend off the angry cat. The cougar hissed, spat and yowled ferociously while scrabbling against his copper defense with its terrible claws, seeking to rend his soft flesh. Struggling desperately, the swordsdwarf managed to push the creature away long enough to create an opening for attack. But even as he raised steel he hesitated, recalling his recent pledge to Momuz. He let the blade fall from his hand as the cougar closed with him again.

He wrestled the overgrown creature on the silty floor while trying to devise a means of escape. Killing the cougar would break sacred dwarven covenant and was thus no option, Zasit would sooner be the beasts lunch than a treasonist. Time and again his copper shield kept the creature narrowly at bay as they remained locked in lopsided mortal combat. By oath Zasit could not fight back effectively, and neither could he flee. Even if his legs were not so weary, he had nowhere to go, and the night still reigned. He could not be sure that the bogeymen were gone for good or patiently biding their time outside. He did not dare to find out. He realized he had no option but to grapple with the feline until dawn.

It seemed to the dwarf that he endured an eternity of caterwauling jaws and scything paws in the hours to day. When light finally began permeating the caverns gloom he sobbed in relief and crawled torturously to the opening with his shield on his back like a tortoise. The cougar swiped weakly at him one final time before crumpling to the ground in exhaustion. Zasit clambered from the lair into the daylight, a wretched grime and blood-caked thing. He dragged himself as far as his final strength would take him before falling into an oblivion like death. He slept undisturbed.

Zasit finally woke, still weary, with most of the day gone. He used the cold waters of a murky pool to slough the worst of the filth from his body before forcing his cramping legs into motion. Shelter was again his urgent concern, without it his fantastic exertions of the previous night would be for nought when the bogeymen caught him again. But the steppe proved as unforgiving as ever. The tired dwarf searched and prayed but found nothing. The only protection from the night remained the cats lair, so with heavy feet he retraced his steps while the last light persisted. Upon his return the indignant feline met him with redoubled fury and the pair again fell into a vying heap until morning. Zasit escaped with the coming of day to sleep and search the steppe anew, but was soon forced to go back and do battle with the cougar.

After the thirds nights contention and the third mornings fruitless exploration the dwarf returned to see the cougar changed. From the very first it had been an enormous specimen but it was now something more. Incredible rippling muscles corded its limbs, and the animals tan hide stretched over a mountainous body of outlandish brawn. Zasit gaped and now knew for certain that he was in the presence of the divine. The cougar lay silently before him and a sense of calm assurance washed over the dwarf.

Something made Zasit look down at himself and his amazement intensified. He was changed like the predator lounging before him. Gone was his belly and his once flabby limbs were now hard with sinew.

Zasit had only one interpretation for the miraculous transformation. The cougar before him could only be a manifestation of Tarmid the Esteemed Nails. The dwarven god must have witnessed the swordsdwarfs fearful flight from the night and been left disgruntled by the lack of spine displayed. When Momuzs badgers turned to fight the bogeymen Tarmid would surely have been outraged by Zasits craven failure to support them. Even now the memory burned the dwarf with shame despite knowing that there was nothing he could have done. Zasit reasoned that Tarmid was malcontent with his cowardly escape to the cavern, and so sent the cat to test him. Either he would redeem himself in the gods eyes or he would be slain, and Tarmid would be satisfied. The god had no care for the sworddwarfs compact with Momuz.

Over the course of three nights tribulation, in which the dwarf stubbornly eschewed the expedient of his sword, Zasit Mineflesh atoned to Tarmid and unknowingly won back the God of Valors favor. He now stood humbled before the imposing manifestation of the Esteemed Nails, realizing for the first time that he had been blessed with the strength of arms and the focus of mind to contend with the creatures of the night. Never again would he blaspheme against holy Tarmid by retreating from bogeymen in fear. From now on he would meet them beard first, unwavering. No, he admonished himself, that was not enough. Henceforth he must actively seek them out and challenge them wherever they lurked, only in that way would his worth be confirmed. Tarmids blessing was not a gift to be used passively and Zasit understood that religious servitude could prove a heavy yoke.

Zasit farewelled the cougar and left the cave behind, never to return. He struck out into the wilds, once again in search of a site to suit his friend Nishs requirements, and if nightfall caught him exposed he was never anxious. He traveled far and wide across the Continents of Charming and stayed true to the oaths he had given Momuz and Tarmid. With time word of his exploits spread to the peoples of the land and they gave him title, but it was no concern of his. Finally on the month of Limestone in the year 1000 Zasit found what he sought while stalking the Hill of Ashes. Rejoicing in his heart he retired to the nearest settlement and sent word to his friend.

Code: [Select]
Dear Nish,

Yes, I'm alive despite my earlier imprudence. Soon into my mission I
learned to fear the night but, by grace of the gods, I overcame that
fear and have succeeded in my task. I've enclosed a map with
directions to the Hill of Ashes just south of Squeezedwitch. It is an
area home to ogres. I stalked them for a time and am all but certain
that they are very few in number. Be aware that there are also
werewolves and harpies which may prove troublesome. It will never
be a hospitable site for an outpost so please prepare accordingly.
I have stationed myself in the human town of Boatswheeled, the
residents of which seem to have acquired an affection for me. Once
you have established camp send word so that I may join you.

Yours faithfully,

Zasit