Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 55966 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

Hey, cool!  I hadn't thought about this baby getting into the new forum section.  I may just have to whip up an update later on to commemorate the event.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2008, 03:43:00 am »

sweet i dont have to forumhop to bump this and guilt trip you kagus   :cool:
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2008, 08:28:00 am »

Jadugarr continued down the river until finally coing to the turbulent and brackish waters of the river mouth.  He shot himself out of the river and into the comparitively calm, but undeniably powerful water of the open ocean.

After swimming for some time, Jadugarr began to get a little thirsty.  He bent his head down to take a gulp of the water, but spat it out as the salty water touched his tongue, remembering that a person could not drink from the sea without the proper equipment.

So, he took a swig of water from his waterskin, swirled it around to get as much of the salt out as he could, and then carried onwards.  So far, nothing had come out at him from the murky depths of the sea, but that may have been because the night was in full swing and Jadugarr simply couldn't see as far when it was dark as he could when it was light.  Funny, that.

Hours pass as Jadugarr keeps swimming, periodically ducking his head underwater to check for signs of anything living.  The sun started to poke its head over the horizon, but Jadugarr did not look at the ocean sunrise that was extending its vibrantly coloured tendrils over the water, he was busy using the extra light to find fish.  The sun rose high into the sky as the search continued.   Noon came and went.  Finally, as the sun began to settle itself into the eastern horizon to rest for the night, Jadugarr, with his waterskin empty and his lids drooping from exhaustion, gave up.

Not so much as a squid had shown itself to him in all the time he had spent searching.  Crestfallen, he started to swim in towards shore when he spotted something unusual.  There appeared to be a small wave that was moving in the direction opposite the other waves.  Upon closer inspection, Jadugarr's heart leapt with joy as he spotted the fin cresting the water's surface.  A shark.

Jadugarr quickened his pace as much as he could, and swam towards the creature.  It noticed his movements and began to swim away from the large disturbance with amazing speed.  Jadugarr realized that he would never be able to chase such a creature, and so he tried different tactics.

Balancing his weight as evenly as he could in the water, Jadugarr began slowly moving his legs to propel hsi body forward, creating not a single ripple on the surface.  The shark, confused, stopped its retreat and began probing the water for vibrations.  Jadugarr got just close enough to the beast, and then let out a mighty roar of fury, lashing his whip at the vicious sea-beast!

It rushed away from his attack, and began making that speedy retreat again.  Jadugarr circled around it and drove it back towards shallow water, so as to make fighting it easier.

The sun dipped lower on the horizon, and the moon came out to take its place inside the palace of stars.  Jadugarr continued his tactics with the shark, always circling around it and driving it back where he wanted it to go, sometimes getting a lash or two in on the beast.  As night fell, Jadugarr knew that he would need to hurry his actions, as sneaking around the beast would get more and more difficult as the umbral blanket was tucked snugly around the world.   Jadugarr could not see in the dark.   The shark, however, could.

Stowing his whip, Jadugarr began to approach the large gillneck for what he hoped was the last time.  Jadugarr lunged at the beast and reached out for its slimy head and its huge, black eyes.  The beast wriggled out of his grip with little effort, but Jadugarr latched on again before it could get away.  With a violent surge, it slammed its tail into Jadugarr's leg, causing it to shatter into an unrecognizable lump of flesh that trailed limply in the water.  Jadugarr cried out in pain and released his grip of the shark's head again, but before it could get away he grabbed it again.  This fish wasn't going anywhere.

But, in a senseless act of senselessness, Jadugarr had grabbed the beast with his shield hand.  Charging in under the shield's protective barrier, the shark began to smash its body into Jadugarr repeatedly, breaking legs, breaking arms, breaking ribs that then punctured his heart and lungs.  In his last moments before the shark finally blew what remained of his body into chunks, he was held only by a seething hatred.  The watery ones had won this time, but his soul would haunt them for years to come.  In new bodies, he would fish them from their lakes, snatch them from the rivers with nets, and carve out their eyes to drift in the ocean currents.  As the massive beast's tail whipped itself around for the final blow, so much like the whip that Jadugarr had used for so long, the hulking wreck of a Kentaur parted his lips and with his few remaining teeth, grinned.

And so ends Jadugarr, hunter of fish.  Not the way I would've wanted it, as I was hoping for an adventurer I could retire after having killed a shark.  Perhaps he could put the jaw on his mantlepiece?  

However, that was not his fate.  We shall mourn his passing, but only briefly.  There is much more glory to be had, and much more death to be delivered.  

Make your vote for who enters the arena next, good audience.

EDIT:  Oh, Smiley.  Your husband of one hundred years (you were wed at age thirteen, by the way) will most likely never hear of your death, and will go mad from grief before finally comitting suicide by second party.  The minotaur will then eat his brain.

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2008, 09:38:00 am »

Yar Yar! I vote for a dwarven Hammerer who takes out his justice on the Elves! Smash the tree-huggers into the trees and blow them to bits!

Also, did any of his limbs get torn off? I could stake a claim of the pot if they did =D

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

I wonder if this counts as drowning? I mean sure his body was smashed into a sticky pulp, but surely his mangled lungs would fill with water has he died, thus counting as death by drowning and being mangled by a shark. Therefore, I would like my Larges, my Platinum statues and my plump helmets back, thank you.

Also, I second the dwarven hammerer who brings justice to those pansy elves.

Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

I vote for an elf that turns on his civilization!!!  An elven spearmen,  preferably with the last name "Immortalityhatred"

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

How did Jadugarr survive having his torso body explode into gore?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

That's a byproduct of having two lower bodies. Not very realistic message-wise, because that's the equivalent of the part being mangled, but alright on the overall.

A dwarf hammerer hunting elves would get my vote if I had made any decent hammers for my mod. There's of course the bembularros, but it's more of a crossbow. As it is, I suggest an axedwarf with a dwarven waraxe. And get a tower shield. You'll need it against elven archers.

Also, I'd like to inform the voting people - my mod also has goblins, dark elves, dark outcasts (driders), and tigermen playable, although the latter two are PlayNow-only.

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2008, 10:55:00 am »

No they're not, you can get a trained and equipped outcast.

Also, no, the death does not count as drowning if you had your lower body blown into several pieces.  Cause of death was explosion, not drowning.

However, due to the betting system, you still get your goods back.  If nobody makes the winning bet, all goods are returned to their respective players.  If someone does call the winning bet, the get everything in the pot.  I collect nothing, the betting is purely casual gambling among the audience members.  I simply organize it.

I may need to generate a few more worlds before I actually get one with both elves and dwarves in it.  That's a bit trickier than you might think.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2008, 12:19:00 pm »

Hm, are they now? I'm starting to forget the features of my own mod.  :) Been too busy improving it to actually play it.  :p
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2008, 01:30:00 pm »

Hmm... Larger land generated perhaps? More space = more chance for pitiful elves not to get smushed?

If we can't do precisely a dwarf mauling Elves I'd settle for a Dwarf Mauling pretty much anything other than goblins.

Not that I'm fond of the green scourge, but I figure variety is the spice of life    ;)

[ March 20, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

Try a Medium world, that should probably get them all... though... with all the extra-civs, it might still be a pain.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 21, 2008, 05:11:00 am »

Being dead is cold and clammy.  :D

You got beaten up by a shark's tale. You should hang your head in shame.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 21, 2008, 06:03:00 am »

he should rise his head in glory, silly silly Patarak

also, ym vote goes for the dwarven hammerer

smack them elves
smack them good

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 21, 2008, 06:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Patarak:
<STRONG>Being dead is cold and clammy.    :D

You got beaten up by a shark's tail. You should hang your head in shame.</STRONG>

lol wut

[ March 21, 2008: Message edited by: Patarak ]

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 37