Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37

Author Topic: Death and Glory!  (Read 55970 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Death and Glory!
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Filled with hatred towards the fiendish creatures (fish) that had caused the death of Smiley, Jadugarr continued his search for the elusive river.  After a short time of searching, he found a small creek trickling through a few hills, and he crawled around in it with his head scraping along the small river stones, in the faint hope that he might find a guppy to punish.

However, there was nothing to be found here, and so Jadugarr set out into the west once more, searching again for the river.

Before he could locate that stealthy landmark, he was interrupted by a grave ambush!

Two prowling panthers had postponed their ponderous pitter-pattering in preference of preying upon a passing pedestrian with plans of penetrating his pancreas with piercing perforations!

Well, screw that.  HEEEEERE KITTY KITTY KITTY!!!

Jadugarr masterfully maneuvered his method of murder by manipulating his magnificient musculature, and then wrought a warrior's workmanship on the weak and wobbling worms that writhed while he whipped them wistfully, vivisecting the verminous visions of veritable viper's venom with vast and very vexing vindication.  Victory!

Confused, he then considered his creative colloquialisms with a collaboration of central cells, which indicated his insufferable idiocy and ignorance in infinitely increasing increments.  And then he found Smiley's head in his backpack and dropped it on the ground, thus breaking the fool's curse.

Jadugarr realized that the river he was searching for was obviously just a myth among the commonfolk, and so he started going south, towards the Worthless Oceans.  But before he could make good on his revised course, a pack of wolves ambushed him from the surrounding woodlands.

Thinking quickly, he picked up a small chunk of obsidian from the ground and hurled it at the lead wolf with the intention of breaking up the pack into more digestable tidbits.

It worked.

Jadugarr, impressed by his own strength, charged into the pack of wolves, lashing at them with powerful cracks of the whip, ripping long gashes and tearing out eyes all the way.  As the ocular components of several canines went flying into the air, Jadugarr felt pleased with his progress.  Perhaps now he was truly ready for the fishbeasts.  I'll find out soon enough he thought, as another eyeball bounced off his helmet.

After that was taken care of, Jadugarr scraped some of the gore off of his face and continued southwards, towards the ocean.  He dearly hoped the vomit that had encrusted on his legs would be washed off by the saltwater, as it was starting to chafe in a most uncomfortable fashion...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

You know, I'm starting to run out of stuff to bet.  But I guess he was cursed anyway.  I know I wouldn't want to think like that for the rest of my life.

Maybe thats why he decided to join you...end the torture.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

Well, I'm not claiming bets.  Betting is strictly audience-only, and so all the offered goods are withdrawn if nobody wins a bet.  Since nobody has bet on the winning cause of death yet, all betting goods have been returned to their original owners.

Personally, I'm putting an overpriced green glass mug on a longnose gar.  

(I just found out recently that glass mugs are each worth as much as a glass crafts, but they still produce three of them)

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

I bet one Large   on death by drowning.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

My bet is an ettin bone greatsword on getting the head ripped off by a random encounter.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

K4tz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »

I bet ages ago that he would be ripped apart by a shoal of fish. :/

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 13, 2008, 02:11:00 am »

Sorry for the recent slowdown of updates, I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Jadugarr, traveling down the invisible stream towards the ocean, encountered yet another pack of wolves.  Pathetically easy, no?

Well, these wolves had fur that was even scruffier than the ones before, and looked even hungrier!  Jadugarr say that they even had more eyes, but then realized that there were just more wolves.

Realizing, with his combination horse/elf brain, that he would need a special battle-plan for defeating these vicious demons, he jumped into a nearby pond and waited with his eyes sticking up out of the murky water.

However, since he had performed this maneuver while they were standing a few feet away and watching him, it did not have the desired effect of making them lose track of him, and the four wolves lined up side-by-side on the banks of the pond and sat down to view the shiny helmeted head of this peculiar creature sitcking out of the water.

After discerning that the wolves were not simply staring past him, and were in fact looking at him, he decided that new tactics must be put into effect.

Slowly, ever so slowly, Jadugarr bent down slighty and picked up a wad of mud from the pond.  He then returned to his somehwat standing position, never taking his eyes away from the wolves who were equally as intent on him.

And then, with a heaving and thrashing strain of muscles, he raised his arm from the water and hurled the lump of mud at the closest wolf!

The wolves sat and watched with mild interest as the small projectile sailed over their heads and splattered into the ground behind them.  

Peeved, Jadugarr threw another lump of mud.  This time, the silty missile landed squarely in the gut of one of the wolves, causing him to vomit unexpectedly.

Now, with the enemy weakened, it was time to strike!  Jadugarr swam towards the shore, and clambered up onto the dry ground, ready to lash out the eyes of these lesser creatures!

He barreled into them, lashing from side to side as he charged triumphantly into their midst.

It was around this time that Jadugarr realized that he had forgotten to take his whip out of his pack again after throwing mud at the wolves.  He had been swinging his hand about with wild strength, oblivious to the fact that there was no weapon being swung by it.

With a quick grunt of embarassment, he reached back to pull out his whip, but at that moment one of the wolves charged and he was forced to hurry his efforts.  With a great pull, Jadugarr drew forth his weapon of choice from his back and squared off against the beast.

Unfortunately, he had pulled the pack off with it, and the now broken straps dangled tauntingly as he held onto the thing.  But there was no time to extricate his whip from it, and so he made do with what he had and bashed the wolf's torso into bits with it.

Swinging the mighty leather container, he pummeled the other wolves as they bore down on him, splintering spines and mangling temporal mandibular joints as he went.  He swung it into the head of one wolf, and shoved it back in on itself, and gave the now half inside-out wolf a closeup of its entrails.

With only one wolf left, and that one suffering from a broken spine, he dropped his pack to the ground and matter-of-factly plucked its eyes out, as though he were plucking prickle berries.  He then snapped its neck, just for good measure.

After attaching the straps to each other again with a few simple knots, he took out his whip (best to keep it readily at hand) and ventured onwards.

Before he reached the ocean, however, he turned and saw the river that he had been following for several days!  Oh, glorious discovery!  After some though, Jadugarr decided that he was indeed ready for the battle that lay ahead, and waded into the water.  

From there, he swam downstream, always on the lookout for his hated foes.  If he saw them, he would not make the mistake he had made last time, and would instead trot alongside the river to catch up with them.

He would not have to venture long, it would turn out.  For his water-trained eyes picked up on the shadowy movements of a longnose gar several yards ahead.  He quickly leapt out onto the shore and ran alongside it, trying to find the mains school of carp these water-demons always followed.

But instead of finding a school of fish, Jadugarr saw a great cliff, as the river poured down into a ravine in a raging waterfall.  With this discovery, Jadugarr was first disappointed, as there was no school of carp to battle with.  But then he remembered the other fish he had seen, and a realization came to him as he stood next to the waterfall.

They cannot get away.

Letting out a massive battlecry that shook the nearby willow trees, he plunged into the water once more, and blocked off the escape that the waterfall would provide the gillnecks.

However, he had forgotten as to how powerful a current gets just at the edge of a waterfall, and was prevented from moving farther upstream, where the fish were.  It was now that he noticed that the slick bancks of the river were too steep to climb out of, and that he would not be able to swim to a location where the water was high enough to allow him to get out.

Jadugarr took a moment to consider how he would get at the fish.  And then, slowly, he starte to turn around to look behind him, an idea forming in his large head.

Waterfalls turn into a river again, don't they?  and, looking down, Jadugarr saw that this assumption had been true.  The river carried on for quite some distance, before disappearing into the mist that was rising up in front of his eyes.

With a great leap, Jadugarr went sailing over the edge of the waterfall, preparing for glorious conquests and mighty fish liver stew...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 13, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

Would now be a good time to bet?  I'm putting a kentaur jester's head on "exploding on rocks at bottom of waterfall"
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

I wouldn't suggest that.  He only bruised a couple arms and is apparently bleeding from his eyeballs.  He'll be fine after a few minutes.  No splattery death, at least not from this waterfall.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 13, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

This is excellent, but I have one peeve being petted by your writing: you switch between past and present tense during the longer battles.

Have fun storming the fish schools!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 13, 2008, 11:32:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm not exactly a professional writer.  And it gets kind of dull trying to spice up a play-by-play fight with the umpteenth pack of wolves, and it's downright difficult doing it without using some of the same words over and over again.

That, plus I'm supposed to be writing for a few other threads at the same time....   My creative tank is draining off the bottom, I need to just relax and play some to give it time to fill up.  I'll try to keep it in mind for the next fight though.

At least I figured out a fun way of getting that waterfall picture.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Yeah, I'm not exactly a professional writer.</STRONG>

If it makes you feel better, I keep wanting to jam my historian friend's cookie down her throat when she gets excited and suddenly starts talking in present tense about events that took place in the 18th century.  So (a) you're not the only one who triggers my pet peeve and (b) historians, who *are* basically professional writers, also switch tenses randomly.

edit: and (c) I think you are writing pretty damned well.  But don't burn all your enthusiasm all at once.

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: benoit.hudson ]

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

Yea just keep up what you doing,and all will be well.
If it makes you feel better,I have this bookmarked.I rarely bookmark forum topics,especially stories.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2008, 04:58:00 am »

Just took a look at the first page and ... wow, much later, and MANY laughs later, here I am at the end =)  Wonderful flying horse-elf shot.  Nothing personal, but I do hope at some point that the elven half gets separated from the horse half so that at least for a moment in time you'll be a majestic creature, instead of a half-majestic creature with a disgusting elf attached to it =P

[ March 14, 2008: Message edited by: valcon ]

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44:00 am »

quote:
Nothing personal, but I do hope at some point that the elven half gets separated from the horse half so that at least for a moment in time you'll be a majestic creature, instead of a half-majestic creature with a disgusting elf attached to it =P  

Don't we all...

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 37