Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Arcology Challenge!  (Read 2632 times)

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Arcology Challenge!
« on: April 01, 2008, 04:25:00 pm »

For those of us who are familiar with SimCity 2000 and various other mentionings of Arcologies, This challenge should be fun.

An Arcology is a self contained and self sustainable habitat. In essence, it will be a large dwarf made building which contains living, farming, power, trading, and industrial facilities. The dwarves cannot go outside of it, aside from the construction phase.

Your arcology must be built above ground. In fact, it must be supported 1 z-level above the ground. It must be self sustainable, with farming facilities, water pumps (for the farms, of course.) and power systems to power the pumps. It must have a suitable habitat area with bedrooms and a dining area. It may also have a trading area with an airlock of some sort for wagons. It must be realistically supported. No cheats may be used in it's construction.

Your dwarves may start with a suitable amount of provisions and seeds inside of it. However, after they are sealed in, the only resource that may come in or out of the Arcology is water.

Bonus points if..

It's built over something dangerous, such as magma, a chasm, or a cave lake (A cave lake would allow you easy access to water for your farming facility).

It contains facilities that allow for sustained industrial production, such as an animal breeding area for bone crafts to sell.

It has extra creative features.

It can survive for more than 10 years with no casualties or major malfunctions.

Get building.   :D

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: exoleet ]

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Arcology Challenge!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Is there anything wrong with using a plot of soil for ease of farming?  You can mine around it a build supports under it, thus satisfying your conditions.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

I would prefer if you made it entirely self contained, but whatever you want to do is fine.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

Download one of the Chasm Challenge saves.  We are WAY ahead of the game on this except that I'm currently tearing out the plumbing during my turn because it connects us to the outside world.
"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

My point was that you can enclose a patch of soil then undermine it except for a few support pillars as required here:

quote:
In fact, it must be supported 1 z-level above the ground.

Self-sufficient without the water pump/drain system required for stone farming.

exoleet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:41:00 am »

Well, if you're that lazy.. The fun is in the challenge of the whole thing, though.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 05:19:00 am »

Thing is, you can't actually make a self-sufficient fortress with farming.  You need soil, as any stone-farming (which I believe is impossible on constructions, although I'm not sure) requires water.  Water can bre recycled to an extent, but never completely.  You'd need an infinite water source, and last I checked those don't appear mid-air.  Even with Dwarf Playground.

So, what's the scoop?  Allow digging out your spot around some soil to allow food and tree farming, or allow an outside source of water?  

Also, shouldn't there be something about enclosing the whole thing in a dome of clear glass?  I think that would work nicely.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by the OP (shockingly enough):
<STRONG>...Your dwarves may start with a suitable amount of provisions and seeds inside of it. However, after they are sealed in, the only resource that may come in or out of the Arcology is water.</STRONG>

I think it's safe to say that pumping water into the Arcology to farm and draining it off the map is expected.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:34:00 am »

Ah.  That's what I get for not fully reading the post.

Still, it doesn't address the issue of whether or not you can farm on constructed terrain.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 11:04:00 am »

I think so. I've never tried, but I saw a built floor get muddied in a flood in my recent fort, so I don't see why you couldn't

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

you can farm on muddied constructed floors

the wiki sais so

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:43:00 am »

I'm working on something like that now. It's called Sunhammer the Ageless Golden Sanctum of Pride.

The idea: Fortress made of gold. Only foods allowed are turtle(for export) and sun berries. Farms on plateaus arround the tower.

At the momement however, it's an underground storage room hoarding gold bars.

Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>you can farm on muddied constructed floors

the wiki sais so</STRONG>

I'm doing it at Chambergraves even now.  Moved the farms around.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

...and now my Theocracy Challenge map has been shelved.

I've been meaning to build an above ground city anyway, as well as a pump tower, and trying to seal myself in, too, though all as separate personal challenges. Doing them all at once, however, sounds like fun.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside