Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plantfarmed: The Hippy Fortress  (Read 3139 times)

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
Plantfarmed: The Hippy Fortress
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »

I'm creating a (mostly) above-ground fortress made entirely of wood, and stone where necessary. It's going to be a little retreat, in the middle of mirthful woods, in a place where it's inaccessible to goblins and humans, but not dwarves and elves.

Due to the amazingly outlandish idea of creating even a small fortress entirely out of wood, I'm going to have to use a Spontaneous Wood reaction. I also have a spontaneous stone reaction because the only forest location I could find with a magma pipe had an aquifer directly above the stone layer. Other than that, I'm going to wing it.

A map of the world, red are points of interest, blue is the barrier:
;)

<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
Re: Plantfarmed: The Hippy Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

Log of the Overseer of Plantfarmed

Early Summer, 1051
I finally have enough free time to write a log entry. We have set up the basic outline of the fort, and dug out a chamber for the food stockpile and plump helmet farm to avoid spoiling. We have found that there is an aquifer directly above the stone layer, so we will have to resort to Elven Alchemy to turn stone into wood, and Dwarven Alchemy to create stone from simple materials. We are hoping that the Dwarven Caravan gets here soon...

Late Summer, 1051
Macaque Attack! Some macaques have broken through our meager perimeter and have begun stealing our stuff. At the end of it all, they stole 4 Adamantine keepsakes that the King gave to us to commemorate a joining of Elf and Dwarfkind. Our wardogs are already on their trail, and I have demanded that the wall be built soon, or at least relatively soon. To do this, I have assigned more dwarves to the Alchemical Furnaces.

Mid-Autumn, 1051
The dwarven caravan has finally arrived. We gave them some crafts made from the macaque bones in exchange for some bins, some seeds, and some leather. We also got some metal bars at an amazingly cheap price. I talked with the liaison, and he wanted to know if the Adamantine keepsakes were safe. I told him of the macaque problems, but luckily we got them back in time for the liaison to arrive. He gave us an extra one in case of any more macaque attacks.

Early Winter, 1051
More macaques! They have stolen all of the Adamantine keepsakes again, so we have released the war dogs to track them. I have stepped up the wall building and have ordered some mechanisms be made to use in traps. I am looking to an immigration wave in the near future.

Late Winter, 1051
The macaque attack is over, and the Adamantine keepsakes have been secured in a lower chamber. We have finished the wall, and we're building the upper levels of the stockpile building, and have finished the bedroom complex. We now have space for 35 dwarves, which is our projected limit of dwarves in order to stabilize our relationship with nature. The magma smelters and glass furnaces have been finished, including a forge with an anvil donated by the liaison. We are stable enough, for now at least.

<Zaratustra> you die

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

Interesting begining. Could we get the map?
How did you get adamantine junk?
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

The Adamantine is a free reaction. I only use it for doors, lava-controlling devices, and as an early-trading item. I'm using it here only as a plot device.
Map can be found here. The saves will be uploaded when I find a good file hosting service.

Log of the Overseer of Plantfarmed

Early Spring, 1052
The Elves came, earlier than expected. We had a bunch of dwarves lined up at the depot, ready for the Adamantine ceremony. They didn't seem interested in it, however. They obviously don't know the virtues of this metal. We practically had to stuff a keepsake or two down their throats in order to get them to take it. We kept the rest to give back to the King when the caravan comes in Autumn.

Mid-Spring, 1052
Immigrants! We got a wave of 23, far more than expected. We only had seven bedrooms set up, but we quickly used the extra dwarfpower to power up more alchemical furnaces and finish up more buildings. For example, we finished the upstairs stockpile and created more workshops.

Mid-Summer, 1052
One of the peasants went insane and claimed a craftshop. He demanded turtle shells but I kept telling him that we don't have any, nor are there any in at least 200 kilometers. He babbled on and on so we kept him locked in the shop to prevent any mishaps. He eventually came out peacefully and walked right into the magma pipe.

Early Autumn, 1052
Right after we finished up the workshop complex (but without the walls), one of the dwarves went insane and claimed a clothier's shop. Luckily, he had what he needed and created this self-centered masterpiece:

I'm beginning to hate artists...

Mid-Autumn, 1052
The dwarven caravan came. We traded back the Adamantine keepsakes for some cloth, leather, bags, and seeds. We also bought some pearlash for the future glass industry, and some metal for any trinkets we may need.

Late Winter, 1052
Nothing happened, and progress on completing, or at least improving the fort has been going well. With the new glass furnaces, I've been mesmerized by the sheer shinyness of it...
I have a plan for the Adamantine that was left behind. I've created more glass industry-related workshops and furnaces for the project. It will be magnificent...

<Zaratustra> you die

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

"Menaces with spikes of rock"?  What exactly have you been modding?  That's nullstone you've got right there, and it can only occur in certain circumstances.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

A spontaneous stone reaction to compensate for the lack of mineable stone in the 2x2 area. In retrospect I should have just created a true spontaneous wood reaction or at least modify the stone reaction, but I'm still learning to mod so I wanted to make sure that it'd work on the get-go.

Won't affect the relative realism if you're worried about it. A wooden fortress the size of mine in a 2x2 area just doesn't spring up in two years.  ;)

<Zaratustra> you die

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 06:58:00 pm »

Would you mind posting the reactions, or at least telling me where I could find them, that sounds intriguing.
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

Certainly. Here are my spontaneous stone, spontaneous wood, stone to wood, and spontaneous Adamantine wafer reactions:

code:
[REACTION:ADAMANTINE_WAFERS]
[NAME:spontaneous Adamantine]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ADAMANTINE]

[REACTION:FREE_WOOD]
[NAME:stone to wood]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:OAK]

[REACTION:SPONTANEOUS_WOOD]
[NAME:spontaneous wood]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:2:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:OAK]

[REACTION:FREE_LIGNITE]
[NAME:spontaneous stone]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT]
[PRODUCT:100:2:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:LIGNITE]  

It's good when you just want to build and not worry about that thing called realism. You can create crazy things.  ;)

<Zaratustra> you die

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 07:31:00 pm »

Cool, i feel like a noob, but how do I use those?

I know how to place them in the configs, but ingame...?

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: Atlas ]

Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

Wrong. Place them in your raws, under reactions_standard. Start new game. Use the smelter to access these new reactions.

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fualkner:
<STRONG>Wrong. Place them in your raws, under reactions_standard. Start new game. Use the smelter to access these new reactions.</STRONG>

I call the raws configs...

And thank you very much.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 03:43:00 pm »

Bad news. Because of my negligence in backing up and modifying RAW files, my fortress encounters a fatal error every time I try to load it. Terribly sorry, but the fortress is now cancelled.

It was a good run, though. It showed me the potential of a wood fortress and gave me a first taste for glassmaking. I'll probably start a glass fortress sometime in the future, but for now the fortress is closed.

Thanks for watching, and see you later.
I think this is better ending than my usual "Give Up at 80% completion" thing that I always do.

The seed for the world was 1595762972 on a Windows XP SP2 system, on a 129x17 worldsize.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: RPharazon ]

<Zaratustra> you die

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

About the "rock".  It's not realism I'm worried about, it's just that nullstone is invisible under certain circumstances and weighs a whopping Γ17766.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kung Fu Kingdom - An RTS with Kung Fu!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

how did you get the square screenshots?
Snoopicus: What is the kill radius of lava heat?
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:13:00 pm »

I cropped them. Having a bighuge screenshot to show such a small event seems painful to the eyes and relatively useless.
<Zaratustra> you die