Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: The Woodsman  (Read 13517 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The Woodsman
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 11:58:00 am »

Here, have some fun: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-411-doggyhelpers

Poor sap...  One breeding pair resulted in 16 dogs, at least three of which are pregnant with more litters (Pandora recently gave birth to a single puppy.  She's probably working on a new batch by now).

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 02:48:00 pm »

looking good kagus, i like the bedroom, looks like you put the brewery right where it should be:  by the bed.  just like the coffee pot =)
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »

How in the world did you kill all the non-hermits? I usually have to resort to starving them, though that would be hard to do without digging.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

I've got a mix of eleven carp, sturgeons, pikes, longnose gars, and sea lampreys in the river.  I told the other members to go wrestle them.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

Hematite Fifteenth, 1054

Yet another summer out in the woods.  I have constructed a makeshift kennel to keep the dogs in, and to keep the puppies out of my way.

I have started work on the second level of the house, however I have not yet finished the ground floor.  I will need to set up some sort of bedroom for the intermediate period between tearing down my temporary brewing hut to make room for the rest of the bottom floor, and building my official sleeping room.

It has been remarkably pleasant so far this summer, as frequent rains keep the air cool enough to work in, and nothing more fearsome than the few wandering butterflies has passed by.  I begin to wonder if this place truly is as utterly removed from the rest of the world as it pretends to be.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 01:17:00 am »

Great writing, really enjoying it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

Timber Twenty-Fourth, 1054

Damn my foolishness!  I'll pay for such childish bravado.

I went down to the river today in a foolhardy attempt to secure it from the fish.  I shot bolt after bolt streaking down into the water, and bloodied fish bodies began to float to the surface, but I saw that more lay below my sightline.

And so, with utter thoughtlessness I stepped closer to the water's edge, presenting not only a better view of the massive fish, but also a closer target for them.

A horrifyingly large sturgeon leapt out of the water and sank its viciously sharp teeth into my right hand.  I  tried to get the beast off me but it simply shook its muscled body about, wringing the bones of my hand into splinters.

I finally managed to shake it off, but it took with it a fair-sized chunk of my skin with it, leaving my hand a bloody and oddly twisted mess.  I shot the crossbow with my left hand, driving a thick bolt into the beast's flopping body with a satisfying thud.  I then retreated back to the relative safety of my home, attempting to cradle my crushed hand without actually touching it, as ropes of fire would entwine themselves around my arm whenever I was careless and something prodded the raw and throbbing flesh.

It will be winter again soon, and I hope that I will be whole again by spring.  But my desires may not correspond with those of the fates, and so I must steel myself for whatever hardships I can.  

I have taken a few strips of cloth from my increasingly threadbare clothing, and made a small splint with a block of cedar.  I will have to spend the season with a single hand, but as I look up at the structure I have managed to build in such short time with two hands, I believe that I can manage something as simple as surviving the winter with one hand truly "tied behind my back".

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

Moonstone Twenty-Sixth, 1054

Winter has come to the forest, and I find that the cold weather causes my hand to throb painfully underneath its bandage.  Luckily, it appears not to have gotten infected, and a translucent layer of new skin has already started to form over the bite.  The bones, however, remain snapped.  I can only hope that, in time, they will heal themselves.

With winter comes a hunger for something warmer than strawberries and salted meat.  I have, with my good hand, constructed a wood-fired stove for cooking.  It's not very pretty, but if I wanted to eat "pretty" I would have gone outside and eaten flowers like an elf.  I managed to do alright with my brewing, so I may as well see how my cooking turns out.  Pity that I don't have one of those absurd hats the chefs back in Kilrudastesh used to wear.

...  I should not think of those moments, they are in the past.  I am here, I am now, and I will not be slowed by memories of the time before the forest.

I am also hungry.  Time to cook.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

Opal Twenty-First, 1054

Midwinter.  The cold bites at my flesh and causes my hand to cry complaint, but it does not defeat me.

The small stews that I have been making are not necessarily works of art, but they are warm and filling.  I am unsure as to how one manages to burn a stew, but I have accomplished that rare achievement, and with little difficulty.

Work has been slow, as I must account for one hand which does naught but trail after me uselessly.  However, progress is continually made, and more patches in the second floor are being filled.  Felling a tree with a single hand is not particularly easy, and laying the cut wood is only marginally easier.

Still, life goes on.  Provided I stop daydreaming and get back to work, that is.

Splime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

This is a really neat story. Please don't get this guy killed.   :D

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

So awesome. Keep it comin', Kagus!   :D
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 01:36:00 am »

Granite Twelfth, 1055

With a new year, a new discovery.  With my newly-crafted cookery, I have found that I can effectively render the raw animal fat procured from carcasses into a usable state.  The dogs may not be getting as much of a treat anymore, but I doubt that that will dampen their spirits much.  They seem too enamored with being outside in the woodland to be unhappy about much of anything.

My left hand has picked up some of the slack left behind from when my right hand was broken, but I still attempt to use my right hand for things I should not.

The hand is showing some improvement, but not much.  I begin to worry about it ever actually healing, but there is not much that I can do about that, now is there?

As time passes, I continue the process of growing some crops, brewing them into beer or fermenting them into wine to fill my continually-draining drink stocks, and then planting the seeds over again.  I find that the unique flavor imparted to the beer from the pine wood used in constructing the brewery has become quite refreshing, now that some of the early surplus of sap has been drained away from the wood and into my belly.

I have made another attempt at a stew, this time using the newly-prepared tallow.  It has turned into something which has the appearance of some sort of porridge, the consistency of slightly rotten innards, and the taste of something best left unmentioned.  Still, food is food, and it is quite filling.  Although that may just be my stomach rebelling against the thought of another portion.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

am i being stupid here, but why did he not head off to bed after he hurt his hand? surley he should have starved to death lying there.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

Forbid the bed.  I knew he was going to get thwacked at some point or another, so I had to find out how to deal with it before it came in a form I couldn't prevent.

He's going around, working like nothing's happened.  He's still flashing yellow though...  I hope that he manages to patch himself up soon.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2008, 07:15:00 am »

Damn...  I hope you guys don't especially mind a long gap between dates, because nothing has happened.  So far this year he's placed a few floor tiles on the second level, slept in the dirt (one of the problems of having a forbidden bed), brewed some Longland beer, and put things in barrels.  I can't spruce up nothing, the ribbons just fall off.

So, yeah...  This guy's going to be taking a while before he considers his situation again.  Sorry about the wait, I'm as unhappy about it as you are.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7