Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Fortress of Oilglide(POSTPONED INDEFINITLEY)  (Read 3551 times)

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
The Fortress of Oilglide(POSTPONED INDEFINITLEY)
« on: May 28, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Yes, I may have just joined. Yes, I seem naive. Yes, I am ready to start a community fortress.

This is a fortress for those of you who like making elaborate contraptions, trap systems, or even massive engineering projects.
I envision this fortress as being built by some zany minds like me and God knows who else (Yes, I'm looking at you, Keyboardfox, and your lever of death)
I embrace playing styles that are inventive, but I have a slight dislike of head-on approaches. Be comical. BE inventive. Be CUNNING. OR EVEN, (dare I say it?) SADISTIC!(But not too sadistic.)BE... well, you get my point. I ask you, that, once the fortress begins, try not to use brute force to overwhelm the enemy, but build devices that take them down with the pull of a lever or stepping on the pressure plate.
But not only should you use the devices you build for combat, use them for the growth of the fortress. Experiment. "Accidentally" flood a whole floor of the fortress when you leave the floodgates open. Try to take things from a comedian and an inventor's point of view. Laugh at your mistakes. Comment on them and your ways. Enough with the little essay, let us continue to the technical aspects. (By the way, pardon the incoherency of the previous "essay"- I don't exactly have hours to spend on it.)
I am using regional prospector.EDIT: It appears we have an area with magma, a chasm, a river, limestone, Diorite, and Granite. Closer Inspection has revealed the chasm takes up a significant portion of the upper right corner of the map, and is quite rich in minerals. Red sand is sprinkled throughout, and the wildlife is Hoary Marmot, Mountain Goats, Ratmen, and Numerous othercreatures climbing from the rift as we speak. The Granite, Limestone, and Diorite deposits contain gold and a variety of other materials. This is, in the surveyor's opinion, "A byootiful playce with singin' stone an' bright gems jus' beggin' to be dug!"

Ok, this is a succession game in which you become the ruler for a year, to be completed within SEVEN days, or your turn will be skipped and you will be dumped to the end of the list. Speak to me if you cannot make the time.
Here, you sign up for turns. You may choose an alias. Please, from here on out, mention two things you are good at, and two things you are bad at as a ruler. You may, if you have already registered for this, mention them anyway.

1. Kilowatt (TURN COMMENCED)
2. THLawrence (Tentative) (Pending)
3. Dresdor (Pending)
4. Ghostpaw (Pending)
5. Elitay (Pending)
6. Jools (Pending)
7. (Open)

More spots shall open in due time.

Feel free to post suggestions as to what marvel of dwarven engineering could/should be built.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kilowatt ]

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Kilowatt ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
Re: The Fortress of Oilglide(POSTPONED INDEFINITLEY)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

I'll join.
Name: Kira
Profession: Miner/Mechanic

This should be very interesting. We shall build the greatest and most elaborate contraptions known to dwarf. Time to go draw up some plans for a magma waterfall over the entrance which, with the flick of a lever, will close the entrance to invaders.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

Oddly enough, I was thinking of the same thing today. A fireproof bridge, with, at the flick of a switch would be covered in flaming hot magma. I imagine the gobbies saying:

"Hey, look! THe dwarfss are wide open."
*They all run to the entrance*
"Alright, now let'ss jusss'... Hey, do ya ssmell sssomethun' burning?"  :eek:
Did I fail to mention that you sign up as... oh, gotta add that part (reread the main post in a few minutes)

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

You had the thing advertised as a community fort when I signed up. I'll still join since the only other succession game I have joined is "they were gods". With any luck they should come up so I can do one then the other. I don't know how much time I can give to DF right now though so be forewarned.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:00 pm »

I'd like to be in on the year after the dungeon master arrives.  I know exactly what I want to do that is horribly sadistic...

[ May 28, 2008: Message edited by: Ghostpaw ]

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Sign me up.  I don't care when.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:05:00 pm »

I'll sign up for slot 5.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Ghostpaw- I cannot grant your request at this time- we need to fill the spots. Choose one, or I choose one for you. Otherwise you can not participate.

Ghostpaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kilowatt:
<STRONG>Ghostpaw- I cannot grant your request at this time- we need to fill the spots. Choose one, or I choose one for you. Otherwise you can not participate.</STRONG>

4th year sounds like a good bet then.

t''s so sad.  It''s as if De Beers as invaded Dwarf Fortress.  I nearly cried when I saw how valued and rare diamonds were in Dwarf Fortress.

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

two more people to fill it up- do you want to start now, or wait for it to fill? I kinda want to get this off the ground.

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 07:55:00 am »

Sign me up. Sounds like my sort of fortress. Earliest slot still open, please.

I plan to BLACK OUT THE SKY SO WE MAY HIDE FROM THE ACCURSED SUN!

Or something. Possibly focussed around dropping large sections of floor or something on unsuspecting enemies, from near the top of the Z axis, at the pull of a lever. Although if anyone else wants to try that, go ahead... I might change my mind anyway.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: Jools ]

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:05:00 am »

Ok, I will be commencing my turn soon. As soon as people see the marvel of a fortress this has become, maybe more people will then be interested. Also, please reread the latter part of the main post, as I have added a few things...

Jools

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 09:19:00 am »

Couple of quick queries - can we have seven days instead of 5, so that everyone gets a weekend to play it? I'd struggle to fit a year in, just playing in the evenings, especially after a few years have passed and there's lots to do.

Secondly, do you want stuff that our dwarf is good/bad at, or we're good/bad at in terms of running a Dwarf Fortress, or do you really want to hear about my Competent Confectioner and Novice Athlete skillz?

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Seven days it is. Oh, yes, I forgot to mention- What's good and bad about your ruling as  ruler.
Nevermind. My turn begins NOW! (Remeber, 7 days or 1 year...)

Kilowatt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 06:34:00 am »

PArdon the double post. I have postponed this fortress, for a reason I do not wish to disclose at the moment. But remember- this will come back.
Pages: [1] 2