Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ashmonthol, "Shadedeeps"  (Read 2150 times)

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
Ashmonthol, "Shadedeeps"
« on: April 04, 2008, 11:05:00 am »

Journal of Kronos, 12th of Hematite 1048

After all that has transpired, I feel it has become necessary to keep a journal and record all that has happened and will happen.
I am the prince of our clan, the Darkblades; we are a clan that always helps its own, and meets all challenges with lethal force. Any who seek to harm the clan, including those in the clan, are destroyed, preferably quietly.
But it seems the king has decided our clan is far too dangerous to leave very well alone; although he has yet to announce any course of action against us, we have our sources. The real problem with this, however, is that we cannot strike against him, secretly or otherwise; we have long served the kingdom loyally, and we still live in the mountainhomes; so long as both of these conditions remain true, it would be dishonorable, and somewhat foolhardy to fight him. And yet I have noticed our brethren slowly vanishing, and the remaining ones are becoming lazy from the lack of work.
The course of action had actually been decided some time ago; to send our two regional prospector squads to find a suitable site where we can retreat to, build a new fortress, this one of Darkblade design, and gain the power we were always meant to have.
Unfortunately, it has been years since we heard from our squads; it could simply be the difficulty of finding an area with a chasm, an underground river and an underground lava pipe in close proximity, or it could be that they were lost to the perils of the wilderness; we will just have to wait and hope it is the former...

So, what do you think? Continue?

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Ashmonthol, "Shadedeeps"
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 06:21:00 pm »

With (so far) no replies, I suppose I'll continue. It'll be another update before I actually start the fortress though.

Journal of Kronos, 3rd of Sandstone, 1049
We have finally gotten word from our regional prospectors; they've found such a site as we have been looking for! Using some magic and some nonmagical tools, they have found evidence of very high temperatures and heavy moisture in two very close areas, as well as signs of an underground chasm. I and a small group of trusted members of our clan have already begun packing; come morning we'll be well on our way to 'Shadedeeps', where, hopefully, we will be able to build a new dwarven kingdom that will become greater than any other before us!

Journal of Kronos, 5th of Sandstone, 1049
The king seems to have finally declared us enemies of state. I honestly don't get him at all; just because he hates Blade Spiders, and we happen to use them as battle animals he just can't seem to stand our presence; why, last time one entered his presence, he threw a fit and destroyed his own cinnabar throne! I do hope we can get away from his kind of insanity.
...of course, it might also have something to do with our use of arenas and other specialized rooms to get rid of goblins and execution of nobles who attempt to destroy the fortress with crazy demands might also have something to do with it; although I fail to see what about this is 'immoral', my father tells me that some dwarves to believe it to be so.
But I digress; we will reach the site in a matter of months, and, if we are successful, some unspecified time after that the rest of the clan will slowly make their way to our new home, and traders who are friends of our clan will be along as well.

[ April 07, 2008: Message edited by: Kronos ]

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 07:34:00 pm »

Is this going to be a community fortress? If so, dibs on one of the six! =D
DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 07:40:00 pm »

I don't think people are reading the different forts stories as much as they used to. Don't worry if they don't read it very much.

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

In case that this is a community fortress like it seems to be, dibs on a male dwarf!
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:53:00 am »

I was hesitating between having it a community fortress or simply a story, but I suppose that settles it; community fortress it is!
I started the fortress, just to get everything sorted out, so I suppose I'll list what we have:

1 female miner
1 male miner
1 male trader (Kronos)
1 male brewer
1 female cook
1 female planter
and 1 male axedwarf
all of them are also average wrestlers and novice swimmers.

:D

I'll start as soon as we have names for at least half our dwarves, as I don't want to continue until I can get some conversation into it.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

I call the Brewer, name him Kael.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 06:18:00 am »

dibs on the male miner, call him Hroth

Edit: Didn't want to take the last male away from the guy who wanted one =p
DOUBLE EDIT: Wait, there's a male axedwarf left. nevermind. gimmie the male miner =p
[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

[ April 09, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Silu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Perfectionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 07:04:00 am »

I'll take the axedwarf. His name shall be Silu. Don't let anyone train with him until you get some armor, please.
I'm the lunatic of God's creation.

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

Alrighty then; lets get a bit farther.
Also, for the record, I’m using the Zoo(3?) mod and Robs mod, and one creature I made myself which is kind of a cross between a dog and a giant cave spider that’s smaller than said dog and doesn’t paralyze.

Journal of Kronos, 1st of Granite, 1051
We’ve arrived. I didn’t expect it to be so cold; nobody told me about this! It was just build this or build that, and ‘don’t forget to farm and seal the doors’ as my dad kept yelling at me, or ‘remember to construct barrels, and don’t go chasing after undead elk; you’re no good at fighting!’ my mom kept saying… Actually, I think I can take the cold.

Come to think of it, there aren’t any undead in these parts; one good thing to be grateful for I suppose.
Our supplies include enough food and drink to last us until we can make our own, a yak and a mule that we probably won’t have to butcher anytime soon (we don’t have a butcher anyway)

The dwarves chosen for this assignment are, naturally, only the best in their fields, so this task should be fairly simple, at least until my father decides to make the journey (which shouldn’t be for some time). As I write, Hroth is making the first halls of our new home, and-

“Ey, lookie!” Silu said suddenly, pointing at the spiders.
“What?” Kronos asked, not quite sure what he was getting at.
“De Bladeys seem to like de cold.”
HE was right; the pair of blade spiders they brought along were complacently spinning small webs and having mock fights with eachother, seemingly oblivious to the snow covering everything, including them, despite being unable to generate their own heat.

Kronos turned back to his journal.

The Blade Spiders, the symbol of our clan, appear to be perfectly at home in this wretched climate. I can only draw one conclusion from this; this place is indeed the perfect place for our clan.

As soon as we settle in, we’ll see about getting them trained.

EDIT: assuming we survive (which, I must say, we probably will) I see many querns in our future.

[ April 10, 2008: Message edited by: Kronos ]

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

Journal of Kronos, 25th of Granite, 1051
The Blade Spiders have been trained and our first rooms have been dug; I'm afraid we do not have beds yet, and will probably be sleep on the floor for tonight, but other than that things are going unexpectedly smoothly; we've taken a look around, and I must say I'm impressed; despite supposedly having a chasm, lava AND an underground river, the surface is NEARLY FLAT! you could scour this place from top to bottom and unless you could tell our door was actually a door (we took the time to carve it so that it appeared as part of the rock) you would think there wasn't a single human, elf or dwarf for miles.
Also, I'm going to see about spending some time wrestling with Silu, 'cause when the whole clan makes it over, I'm probably going to find myself stuck at a desk from the point onward.
As soon as we've dug out a few more rooms for our use, we'll start looking for the river.

Next update will be when something interesting happens.
And the other three are still available if anyone wants 'em.

[ April 12, 2008: Message edited by: Kronos ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 07:02:00 am »

I will take the other miner
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos