Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Routpainted : The Amazing Exploding Fortress  (Read 1614 times)

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Routpainted : The Amazing Exploding Fortress
« on: April 04, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

I've currently got a fort running, one I've been saving the progress of each year on the map archive:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/usermaps.php?fortressName=Routpainted
The idea is simple, create a pod like structure supported only by a support on the bottom, then at the right time pulling the lever.  I aim to maximise the damage, so that means the more dwarfs, structures, and fancy stuff inside the Pod the better.
In my first year I realised my initial Pod would only hold about 30 dwarfs, so in year two I built a second, much large Pod.  The first pod had farms and food related stuff in it, as well as the trade depot, and would be one day turned into a barracks.

The constructions of the second pod allowed me to hold over 100 dwarfs, as well as house nobles in detailed but small rooms.  Then realising I had no burial area I built another smaller pod for burial.

The ultimate objects are two fold:
1) Construct a large structure that can be collapsed at a flick of a switch,
2) Attempt to collapse the structure ater surrounding it with water.

I explain my plan to flood an area so massive on the maps notes, plus other areas of interest.

Every game year I'll be uploading the latest map and adding notes of what I've done so far.  Once its ready to explode I plan to record it as well, so if my PC  does explode it should make for a good video.  I think what will happen is all the internal floors will collapse and fall through anything not supported by a wall, which might result in a rather night concertina effect.  Also the Burial Pod will have a massive drop beneath it so we'll get to see what happens to a several stories high structure if you drop if several stories in this game.

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Brown Moses ]

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Routpainted : The Amazing Exploding Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

Man, you really hate your PC, don't you? What you're suggesting will probably kill the framerate. I once dug under a lake and then opened up the bottom of it. My computer was frozen for 4 or 5 minutes while all the water rushed out.

otherwise, cool idea. You should try the DF 3D visualizer. It would probably make a cool image of it.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

I might top of the Main Pod with a Vomit Prison.  Basically the top floor has a roof of glass or floor grates, and the floor is also covered in floor grates, below which are other cages.  The prisoners in the top floor are sensitive to sunlight so they vomit continually onto the prisoners below.  Even the guards will puke.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Brown Moses:
<STRONG>I might top of the Main Pod with a Vomit Prison.  Basically the top floor has a roof of glass or floor grates, and the floor is also covered in floor grates, below which are other cages.  The prisoners in the top floor are sensitive to sunlight so they vomit continually onto the prisoners below.  Even the guards will puke.</STRONG>

After frequenting these forums for a couple months I'd thought I'd reached the bottom of the barrel for bizarre things to do to your Dwarves.  Boy was I wrong!  This is so unbelievably fantastic.

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

My previous fortress had a water prison working on a similar premise, this would be easier as I would have to rely on floodgates and hatches as I'd hope the vomit would never get deeper then 3/7 before drying up.

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 05:26:00 pm »

Vomit and blood are not dedicated liquids yet, so all you would get would be vomit on the tiles.

Still an awesome idea.

Edit: Broken U key

[ April 04, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 04:34:00 pm »

I've finally finished my Pod design fortress, Routpainted: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2453-routpainted
After about 800 dwarf lifes thanks to reclaiming I've finally got it to the point where I can destroyed it totally. The basic design is 3 connected pod the depth of the game world, with all the rock around it dug out, supported only by two supports conneted to a lever. I've updated my map every year since I started with lots of notes, so you can see how I did it. When I started having to reclaim I cheated a bit with tile editing, but that's because dwarfs go beserk if a couple of there mates die in reclaim mode.
I have collapsed and it takes about 5 minutes to unpause after it starts.

Brown Moses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:38:00 pm »

Now it wouldn't be an Amazing Exploding Fortress if it didn't explode, so here it is: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-492-thedestructionofroutpainted
4 out of 5 times this crashed DF.