Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shedimmorul - Shadowpages (Community Fortress)  (Read 1825 times)

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kung Fu Kingdom - An RTS with Kung Fu!
Shedimmorul - Shadowpages (Community Fortress)
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »

I had screens of the depat plus region screens, but I had previously decided not to use this area due to lack of danger (before the warewolves showed up….) so I don’t have the screens now. It is located on a river delta between two minor rivers with lots of flux under an aquifer. Area is Haunted / Haunted, forest area.

I have no experience digging through aquifers, and I do not intend to read a guide. This should lead to SHINANIGANS. It does not have magma, which will constantly force the dwarves out into the forest to get lumber.     ;)

Also, I will be limited my use of cage traps for when I actually want to trap a monster. I.E., I will not be stacking my entrance full of them. If I decide to start an arena, I may trap a few goblins, but otherwise, its all dogs, pressure plates, levers, and crazy military dwarfs!
------------

1st Granite
Today we break ground for what is to be the great fortress of Shedimmorul! I will mention, for the more common folk, that Shedimmorul means Shadowpages in the common tongue. I will not mention it again, as speaking the common tongue leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

As this is my first journal entry, I shall give some context to the situation I now find myself in. My name is Tekkud Ebaloshrir, and I am the second son of King Anul Ebaloshrir. Three months ago, during a particularly rowdy night, I saw fit to point out my older brothers utter incompetence at his job as prince. Three weeks later my father announced that I would be embarking on a glorious expedition into the Wild North to spread the name of Ebaloshrir to these savage lands. I am sure this sequence of events is simply a coincidence.

Our journey started out as it should – with a parade in our honor, with lots of maidens and what not throwing plump helmets into the path of the wagon train. I appreciated the sentiment, but the mushrooms piled so high at one point we had to call the city sweeper to move them out of the way. I did notice several of the expedition members grabbing a few to put into their bags. While these are not, shall we say, standard rations, common folk are known for their unrefined tastes, and to a certain extent it cannot be helped.

Journeying North was pleasant, as we passed through the Morgal Hills and into the Abknahadin Forrest. Quite pleasant. However, on the third day of our forth month into our trek, it started raining.

Mud, my gentle readers, is not heroic. In fact, it is just the opposite. I was forced to remove my armor simply to stay afoot. Can you imagine? A noble dwarf without his armor? Shame. It will take my squire days to get the shine and polish back into my weapons and armor.

Despite these inconveniences, however, we pressed on. The further and further we Traveled North the darker and more… sinister our surroundings got. Whisperings amongst the men indicated that they thought we should stop, or go back. Cowards! We must press on to the place my father has chosen for us. With a good “Tally ho!” and “What for!” I took to the head of the column, spurring our men on!

Several hours later we arrived at a fertile river valley. It was a beautiful sight to behold. Though the trees seemed covered in some foul and noxious purple ichor, I must say I feel it added to the mystique of the area in general. Suddenly, I spotted some savage looking beasts of the wild. Fierce creatures that emerged from the ground with beady eyes and devilish teeth. I looked back to assess the readiness of the men, in case a conflict should arise.

“Squire! Get me my armor!”

But nay! To my shock, there were only seven men and one wagon still remaining. Deserters! Not even my squire remained. Damn them, those dirty commoners and their lack of moral fiber!

Immediately, I called for a strategic retreat from what the men were calling the “groundhogs”, to take stock of the situation and decide what to do. While I was considering a flanking maneuver on the daemon beasts, one of the commoners, bless his courageous little soul, pointed out that in our hurry to reposition the troops at a more strategically sound location, we had trapped ourselves between two rivers and the fiendish creatures! Zounds!

This was, of course, my plan! What more perfect location could we have for our fortress than a fertile river delta?

I rallied the men and prepared to make a speech. I stopped in front of each one of them and asked for their name and gender (sometimes it can be so hard to tell amongst the common folk).

-------------------------------------------
Alright guys, here is where you sign up to join the original seven! Write a story if you want, or just put your name down.

[ May 05, 2008: Message edited by: Snoopicus ]

Snoopicus: What is the kill radius of lava heat?
Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

McWaffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shedimmorul - Shadowpages (Community Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

Give me the engineer, "McWaffle".  He's a bit new at the whole thing, and will probably end up drowning in some aquifer debacle.  You´ll need mechanisms though, and he'll provide.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

I'll take a miner.

Name him: Gillysit

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Vactor ]

Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

I'll take one of the females by name of Kate. I'm not too particular to profession given that they are often subject to change with work demand.

=)

Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:00 pm »

If you don't mind I'll take the other miner! Rice shall be the name.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I'll take the farmer, and maybe see how I do at brewing as well. Call me Dyce.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 01:25:00 am »

I haven't done a community before, but I'll give it a go.  I'll take a woodworker, whom everyone calls "Axe," simple and to the point (or blade).  He could also be a part-time animal trainer.

[ May 06, 2008: Message edited by: Frelock ]

All generalizations are false....including this one.

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:00 am »

I'll take the fisherdwarf!  Male, named Stinky.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 06:41:00 pm »

Some changes. I changed the start location. Looks the same, no aquifir, but TONS of Hippos. I count 48 skeletal hippos, 7 elephants, and 8 skeletal Bonobo's.

Tekkud is also now female. As I subscribe by equal opportunity jackassery, there is no problem here.

This should be interesting.

Here is everyones profiles. I changed the loadout a bit, so you may not have who you requested.

-----------------------------------

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Snoopicus ]

Snugglybear: I''ve seen it, I think, kill dudes one level above it. But the guy was falling into it at the time, as a dwarven sacrifice. So it''s hard to say.

Snoopicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Annnnnnd everyone just died in what felt like a wave of skeletal hippos washing over us like the tide.

Since my hard drive fragged a few weeks ago and it took me so long to get back to this community fortress, I will start a new one.