Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rocksquid: Failure is fun! (Community Fort)  (Read 3398 times)

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rocksquid: Failure is fun! (Community Fort)
« on: May 09, 2008, 01:06:00 am »

Letter to Edem Mangamud:

Most esteemed Edem Mangamud,
On behalf of my clan, I again thank you for your words against the mad-dwarf Donut in defense of my great uncle Werdnari and for returning his journal to us. Alas, I fear that I must contact you again to beg for your support. The eldest son of our local Baron has begun publicly questioning our clans honor. Some whisper that he seeks to steal my elder brother’s love out of petty jealousy. The Baron’s son declares that any member of our clan couldn’t lead a fledgling fortress for any longer than five years. I intend to prove him wrong, but cannot afford to finance an expedition myself.

May Armok's will be done.

Fellow dwarves! I come to you for help. The eldest son of our Baron insults my clan, claiming none of our number could lead seven dwarves to anything but their doom in five years. When I found support to finance my expedition and prove him wrong, fear was in his soul. Immediately he changed the conditions of his challenge, specifying a site in the cold north and forbidding any dwarves skilled in labor to join me. I laughed at his fear before and I continue to laugh at it to this moment! Edem Mangamud, High Priest of Armok, supports my expedition. His caravans, not the Baron’s, shall be the lifeblood of this expedition. As assurance of his support, he sends us an initiate priest of Armok to join the expedition. Now, who will join us?

-----
I will be using the Martial Arts Mod for this community fortress.

Each starting member will be joining Rocksquid as a peasant. All starting dwarves may take 150 points worth of gear/animals as their personal belongings.

To join:

Dwarf Nickname
Prefered Gender?
Prefered Job?
Personality Quirks?
If Starter: gear to be taken?

Info on the Rocksquid tradition of letting named dwarves "mandate" things shall be given at a later time.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Werdnari ]

[ May 11, 2008: Message edited by: Werdnari ]

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rocksquid: Failure is fun! (Community Fort)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:17:00 am »

Count me in! I'll be Kessif, either sex works. I'll bring...hmm...

10 alcohol of whatever type I've a preference for, rum if none. (20 points)
20 logs (60 points)
10 stones, coal or bauxite preferred. (30 points)
10 2pt. meat (20 points)
If there's sand on the map, 3 Pig Tail Seeds. (3 points) If no sand, skip this.
Put the rest into Plump Helmet Spawn.

Oh nearly forgot...
Prefered Job: Glassmaker if there's sand, mason/mechanic if there isn't. Caregiver if there's nothing else going on.
Personality Quirks: Tends to laugh in an unnerving manner, wants to set up levers in his/her room that no one else knows what they do (even if they do nothing.)

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Sparksol ]

Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

I'm in.

Norman, male.
Mechanic, Crossbowdwarf.
Sees things. Despises Microcline. Mutters. Prefers animals to dwarves.
Gear: Cheap crossbow, a few bolts, Copper boots, puppies.

EDIT: Removed booze because we're taking so much of it anyways.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Dwarfaholic ]

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:00 am »

I'm in
Name: Kira
Preferred Job: Mining/Weaponsmithing
Personality Quirks: Is a recluse who enjoys the finer things in life. Has a preference for metals and the more valuable gems. Has a slight issue with multiple personality disorder. Personalities will appear over the course of this fort. More about his past later.
Starting Gear:
1 Copper Pick
5 Plump Helmet Spawn
5 Sweet Pod Seeds
5 Pig Tail Seeds
20 Turtle
25 Tower-cap logs

You should also use the Minerals mod in addition to the Martial Arts mod. They are compatible. That way we have lots of different kinds of crazy metals.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:00 am »

Name: Dresdor
sex: Prefer Male
Profession: Mason
Quirks: Dresdor likes statues, and produces a large number of them.  He also demands statues in every room he uses (dining room, bedroom, etc).  
Starting gear:
2 War Dogs (62)
20 Turtle Meat (40)
24 Dwarven Beer (48 points)

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 10:08:00 am »

Ok then! We have six of our starting dwarves.

Werdnari: The default dwarf
Armok: The Impressive Clergyman
Sparksol: Kessif
Dwarfaholic: Norman
THLawrence: Kira
dresdor: Dresdor

Now all we need is a warrior not from the north and we can go battle the fire worm! (50 bonus starting points to anyone that gets that before I post again!)

Though I had already picked out a site, I'll load up mineral mod and gen a few more worlds to look for another.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:17:00 am »

Well, seems like I have to fulfill that promise!

Hokay, here it is!

Preferred Gender: Female. Male'll do if none available.

Name: Kalen.

Preferred Profession: Swashbuckler. (Swordsdwarf, basically.)

Personality Quirks: Believes him/herself to be a reincarnation of the captain of the Bellsmaw. Otherwise, perfectly normal. For dwarves. Which is to say not normal at all.

Gear: 20 units of wine, ale and beer, each. Then, if possible, a Cougar leather helm, 2 dogs, and 3 Rock Nuts.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Xotes ]

Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

Preferred Gender: Male

Name: Maggarg

Preferred Profession: Blacksmith, if possible. If not, then Miner or axedwarf.

Personality Quirks: Been everywhere, done everything. Once travelled in the explorer's league with an elf and another dwarf. Always cheerful, unless he has to run. Short, even for a dwarf, but stocky.

Gear: 20 units of wine, ale and beer, don't care about what, even meths will do.
Plump helmets. He likes the colour.
Oh, and a pick and a hat, of some sort. I wish there were wizard hats.

...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

I'm afraid that Xotes grabbed the final starting dwarf, Maggarg. I'll get you in on the first immigration wave, unless it somehow is all female.

Onward to Rocksquid, my brave companions!
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2635-rocksquidredux
Story/personalities to come shortly.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Maggarg - Eater of chickens:
<STRONG>I wish there were wizard hats.</STRONG>

Ask and ye shall recieve:
This goes in the helm file:

code:

[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_POINTED_HAT]
[NAME :pointed hat :pointed hats]
[WEIGHT:10]
[VALUE:10]
[BLOCKPOWER:10]
[LAYER:COVER]
[COVERAGE:50]
[LAYER_SIZE:20]
[LAYER_PERMIT:100]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[SOFT]
[LEATHER]

And for the entity file:

code:

[HELM:TEM_HELM_POINTED_HAT:UNCOMMON]

Wow, so bored.

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: THLawrence ]

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

Journal of Sula Kosothecem
1st Granite. Year 1

The journey to Rocksquid is over. The baron's son must truely fear my abilities to send me to such a laughably empty landscape. Our beards grow heavy with ice as we breathe, leading several of us, including myself, to look quite entertaining.

Only Dresdor has been any trouble on the journey, constantly demanding to build his damned statues. I'm quite tempted to forbid the construction of statues just to shut him up!

-----

Log of Sister Veshrimtar, Priestess of Armok.
1st of Granite, Year 1

So far young Kosothecem has proved quite able in his abilities to lead this expedition. Though I do worry that the grudge between he and Dresdor may one day become a problem, for now it remains harmless and I see no reason to revoke Sula's leadership status. Armok watch over us.

[the next page is covered by notes about the other expedition members]

dresdor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vgtheory.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 05:39:00 pm »

This is the third character in a community game I've had that likes cows for their haunting moos...it's freaking me out :-p

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

1st of Granite, 1051
We have arrived at Rockshrimp or where ever we were headed. I don't even remember the trip. I must of blacked out again. Hope I didn't do anything stupid.

I was able to get a preliminary look at the geological features around the place. To the north and west there seems to be a large desert of yellow sand. The cliffs around the desert are made primarily of dolomite. To the south and east there is a layer of gabbro that reaches to the surface. Though I do not know how far down it goes.
Of the odd rocks I have seen a dark green form, a light blue stone, some powdery rocks in the dolomite and a some dark blue stone. Finally there seems to be an odd greenish vien to the north and a strange grey stone stuck in the olivine. The walls seem to be dotted with several clusters of gems. The only one that I have recognized is a small cluster of rock crystal.
Unfortunately I have very little training with identifying the rocks and will have to refer to the manuals.

Werdnari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

Log of Sister Veshrimtar, Priestess of Armok.
21st Slate, Year 1

Most of the expedition has huddled together in the excavated areas for a well deserved break, except Sula. While he's ceased mining for the sake of the others, he remains outside, watching the supplies that we've yet to make room for underground. His leadership skills are slowly improving and he has finally gained some measure of support from Kira, though Kira still continues to show more interest in the stones and ore of this place.

-----

Journal of Sula Kosothecem
25th Slate, Year 1

Kira informed me today that he'd struck orthoclase on the second level of the planned Central shaft. At the rate we are uncovering veins and clusters of the same ores over and over, I'm wondering if we may have to rewall most of the shaft. The native gabbro is much more pleasant than the blasted yellows and greens that are scattered through it. Kira seems filled with joy at every new find, though. At least he's having fun.

-----

The initial quarters of Rocksquid's citizens.

[ May 10, 2008: Message edited by: Werdnari ]

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

"Diary of Norman

23rd Slate, Year 1 in Rocksquid.

Rocksquid. What a pleasant name. The journey was harsh and cold, but we've finally made it. I looked a bit around the landscape, and there seems to be no M-STUFF around.
I may finally be able to relax, just me and my puppies.
And with time, I hope, I'll finally get along with dwarves again.
Oh yes, for me, Rocksquid is the perfect place.

If only I had remembered to bring some donkeys too.

End entry."

Pages: [1] 2