Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Onlìl Akur, a community fortress  (Read 13954 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Onlìl Akur, a community fortress
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Logbook, 6th of Malachite, 1051:

We were attacked today. Only by rhesus macaques, luckily. I, Dwarmin, and the other farmer immediately attacked and slaughtered five of the six. The sixth was killed by a fire imp that jumped out of the magma vent and hurled a fireball into the dumb monkey's face.

I've learned to respect fire imps. Luckily, it dived right back into the molten stone instead of bothering us. I, as the butcher and tanner, will be processing the bodies into useful materials.

Ringo has been busily working on making some brass for crafting, once we get an anvil. We've got the magma smelters and some magma glass furnaces up, as well.

Not much else has happened, besides the menacing sight of a herd of unicorns to the northwest. Their horns glinted in the sunlight, sharp and probably deadly.

--Paul McCartney

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 10:53:00 pm »

Logbook, 19th of Malachite, 1051:
We hit alunite a bit ago, which was so exciting. I'm sure the Biggs and Dwarmin thought more of the discovery than I did, though. All Delaar did was complain that the stone furniture wouldn't match.

Our first planting of pig tails is ready to be processed into thread for Delaar, though, and he was happy as always to use his supreme fashion sense.

"Wot'll I be makin' this time?" he asked.

"Socks," I responded.

"More socks? We already haf' enough socks ta' fit a kingdom!"

"Th' traders like socks," I said. We need that anvil, and just because Delaar gets bored of making socks doesn't mean that we should suffer economic losses. He seemed slightly happier when I told him he could mix one or two pairs of mittens in for variety.

--Paul McCartney

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

Yay, I am the snooty sock person nearly!  :D

And with a accent to boot.

Although Delaar ended up Female. Seesh. Unless you can make him male...
Eh.

Maybe keep the illouion that delaar is a dude intill "he" gets married or some thing!

I haves my own gallery matey!
www.adalore.deviantart.com
Not quite dwarfy enough yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35:00 pm »

Dwarmin’s notebook
Page 6
(A smudge has been smeared out across the top of the page.)

See that? Macaque blood. Got it all over my hands-its stinks. Pesky little things actually tried to attack the fort! I assumed they were trying to steal something, but we made sure they never got close to our socks. The “battle” ended quickly, and I particularly appreciated the thunking sound my pick made when it shattered their fragile little skulls. I can smell their meat being cooked right now in our kitchens; I wish I had some Dwarf syrup to drench it in, but that’s a rare commodity, which might not be available for some time. I was told their were Unicorns not to far from our fort, but I didnt believe it. In fact, ive never seen a Unicorn in my life. Their probably Elven myths, used to scare children about wandering into the woods. Anyway, I must get back to digging. But theres something else…

(The script appears hesitant, and shaky)

A fire imp actually decided to help us. It flicked its wrists and a shot a fireball that blew one the Macaques to the land of nineteen. Then it leaped back into its firey home, and..I haven’t told anyone this-but I could swear it smiled at me. Leered right into my soul. Even help from Demons kin is often a harbinger of worse evils. Despite the heat from the calderas, I was still chilled to the bone. May Limul warden of the living stone, protect us from evil, Amen.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

Logbook, 22nd of Malachite, 1051:
The food supplies are overflowing with macaque flesh, which is good. But I've ordered Ringo to make some barrels so it doesn't all rot.

We're also constructing a defensive wall outside of the fortress with felsite blocks. I assigned Door to masonry because we didn't have a mason, and he's already somewhat skilled from carving blocks out of the stone.

We're smoothing out Ringo's room, as well. He seems to have declared that he's "Expedition Leader" or something.

We're processing pig tails, but Delaar seems to prefer slacking off to making us some money-socks.

Logbook, 25th of Malachite, 1051:
It seems that fire imps are wandering about to the northeast, and groundhogs to the north. We may have to attack these groundhogs, but only if necessary.

Delaar is on cloth-making duty, from pig tail threads, and I'm making leather.

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

Thanks to Dwarf Companion, I can change your dwarves' last names and genders for better storytelling purposes. As funny as it would be, I didn't want the phrase "I had a baby today" to appear in Paul's journal.

Logbook, 11th of Galena, 1051:
We were attacked by one of the wandering fire imps today. It ran from its spot in the northeast to the west, chasing and killing groundhogs. Then, on its way back to the northeast, it saw our horse. It attacked and mauled Door's pet war dog, but Ringo came at it with his axe and chopped its leg off.

He then calmly went right back to cutting trees. The horse went right back to hanging around the entrance, unharmed.

More socks are being made. Nice socks, too. I think I see why those merchants trade us their spare anvils for them.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »

Logbook, 13th of Galena, 1051:

Tragedy! Delaar was killed today by a fire imp! He was trying to grab the corpse of another groundhog that the imp had killed when it attacked him. He didn't have a chance. Dwarmin was the next on the scene, and he gave that imp a pick to the brain.

May Delaar rest in peace, with the blessings of Zulban the Hame of Prison upon her. We'll sell her clothes to the merchants with utmost respect. Someone else will have to make socks now.

We named the imp that killed him 'Isansub'.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 04:22:00 pm »

Noooooooooo.......

Drat, Why did I have hauling activated! I the snooty or was... the snooty sock person!!! D:

fooie.

I'd like to have like Delaar's son or some thing come in the imagrant wave, and do what ever is useful.
under the name...
Itichi.

:D

I haves my own gallery matey!
www.adalore.deviantart.com
Not quite dwarfy enough yet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2008, 05:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Adalore:
<STRONG>I'd like to have like Delaar's son or some thing come in the imagrant wave, and do what ever is useful.
under the name...
Itichi.

:D</STRONG>

I like the idea of clan names (like Cap'n Mayday does in Nist Akath), so his last name will be Crewedcastles like Delaar's was.

Logbook, 4th of Limestone, 1051:
Autumn has come. The dwarven caravan will come soon. In other news, we've started butchering kittens because they're pretty much useless. Two cats are enough to kill all the rats and fireflies in the entire fortress.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2008, 06:08:00 pm »

Logbook, 9th of Limestone, 1051:

The fort is in a state of depression. Since the death of Delaar, Ringo and I have not really felt up to doing much, but we know we need to. When I told Ringo to stop taking a break and get cutting trees he shouted at me and ran off to do it. He uses his axe well, and I really wouldn't want him to snap.

I dearly hope that we get some help soon.

Logbook, 15th of Limestone, 1051:

The dwarven caravan came today, complete with wagons. The liason came today. Immediately, we heard shouts of "Thief! Run!" and kobold thieves were trying to escape from the fortress without getting further attention from the jaws of our war dogs.

Dwarmin killed one. He's quite the defender of the fort. The caravan guards killed another. The third got away with nothing.

Logbook, 22nd of Limestone, 1051:
We traded with those dwarves and got an anvil, some steel greaves and a steel shield, a lot of booze, some food, and a bag. For sand, you see, for our magma glass furnace. We also got a rope and some metal bars.

[OOC: you can designate a jail from a rope, i.e. you don't need a chain, right?]

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2008, 06:57:00 pm »

Dwarmin’s notebook
Page 19

Limul ignored my prayers. It seems I have been “blessed” with some form of cursed foresight. I had awoken earlier than the others-I just needed some time to myself. Delaar was also up-he said he saw fresh corpse up top that he wanted for to get supper. Even now, I wonder-if I had told him what I saw, would he have stayed back? Dismissed me as a maddwarf? I wanted to, Limul help me, but I felt my throat close up with fear and indecision. I can only blame myself for his death. I could do nothing but sit and drink, and wait for the inevitable.

When I heard the screams, I ran as fast as I could, but I was too late. The same imp-I don’t know how I know that-was sitting on his chest grinning at me. It had set the animal’s corpse as bait. Delaar’s face was gone, burned away. I took out my rage upon the beast, screaming louder with every blow, but it didn’t fight back. It only kept smiling. When I was done there was nothing left but smeared paste.

I can’t dwell on the past. That is not the way of my people, not the way of a true Dwarf. I have decided that I will die here. I don’t care whether be some foul beast claws or a Goblins bolt, or maybe even peacefully in my bed. I will defend this place with my life. I swear this to the spirit of Delaar-this will be a place where the laughter of children is untroubled, where the artist can craft in peace, and where the common Dwarf is protected from the evils of the world. Only by my death can this oath be broken.

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2008, 07:11:00 pm »

Logbook, 8th of Sandstone, 1051:
We've melted the kobolds' daggers and made a copper bar. The magma forge is up, as well, though I'm moving it closer to the bar stockpile on second thought.

Logbook, 9th of Sandstone, 1051:
Ringo is done dealing with the liason. We requested a few gems and some metal. They asked that we make crossbows, bracelets, crowns, cheese, quivers, blocks, and handwear. We can do most of that.

I've decided to take up clothesmaking in Delaar's absence.

Logbook, 16th of Sandstone, 1051:
We've noticed that there aren't many chairs or tables, so the miners have dug out a basic dining room. It still needs furnished.

Edit: [OOC: Dwarmin, it definitely wasn't the same imp, but we'll pretend. It was the second imp that was wandering around to the east.]

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2008, 07:20:00 pm »

A chain and a rope is the same thing. Just like a portal and a door, or a coffer, box or chest.

I request an immigrant. Name him Dagur, or her Nótt. Or Nott, if you can't write an ó.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2008, 07:33:00 pm »

In the immigration wave, I'd like to call the Brewer and Name it Mr. K   (For the Benefit of Mr. K!)
He comes from a family of Dwarven entertainers from the mountain homes.  Though he was kicked from the city cause of his special Pink dwarven wine, though he claims it was meant to enhance the show his family put on.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Kaelem Gaen ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Boksi:
<STRONG>A chain and a rope is the same thing. Just like a portal and a door, or a coffer, box or chest.</STRONG>

Good, it's just that I heard that you could only make a jail from a chain, that ropes were only for animals.

Also, it looks like I probably won't be getting any immigrants 'till spring, which is normal for my forts. But autumn is only half over, so who knows?

Also, Kaelem Gaen, I'm giving you the free planter from the starting seven because he's a brewer.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7