Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Onlìl Akur, a community fortress  (Read 14085 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Onlìl Akur, a community fortress
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

Logbook, 12th of Timber, 1051:
We got some immigrants today. No wonder, they hear about a calm area with magma and nice stuff and they rush for it. Of course, this becomes quite ironic when the goblins hear about this successful fortress and start laying siege to it.

So we got a brewer, a dyer, two peasants (recruits), a wood crafter (woodcutter now), a furnace operator, a generic metalsmith, a fisherdwarf, and their pets. This brings the population to 14.

Some noticed me as the leader, and came up to introduce themselves.

[OOC: I messed with some last names for fun. And it seems I'm unable to put "ó" into it anywhere (not in the nickname editor, and not in Companion because it just gives me "-|" instead for some reason.]

Delaar's son, come to avenge his father's death or something:

A peasant who wants to be a hammerdwarf:

He wants a silver hammer, but steel will have to be silvery enough for him.

Dagur, a metalsmith:

General Valter, the head of our military of two:

I hope all these dwarves will contribute to the fortress. They will be punished otherwise.

OOC:
Dwarf companion is just a great storytelling tool. I probably won't get a big Nist Akath plot, but I might be able to make a few little plots every once in a while. I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: Dagur and General Valter are married! General valter also has a pet donkey. Maxwell only has a passing acquaintance. I'll get more later.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2008, 09:19:00 pm »

27th of Timber, 1051:

I sent Valter and Maxwell out to disperse a herd of unicorns to test their mettle, and they saw a vicious battle between a large group of carp and a unicorn. The unicorn desperately scrambled out of the water, mostly bruised but not really hurt.

They didn't get any kills, sadly. And Valter ran off in the middle of a chase to grab a copper high boot or a turtle bone gauntlet or something, and Maxwell ran off towards the end for the same reason. The unicorns were driven away, though, so it was a success. We also saw the disturbing power of carp at work.

The outer protective wall is slowly drawing closer to completion. It's definitely not done, but it's almost all the way around the refuse pile.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »

1st of Opal, 1051:
We've decided that we, the remaining six of the original seven, will get small tombs (very small, just big enough for a coffin). Others who earn themselves a name will get a small tomb as well; the rest will have to be buried in one of the communal tombs that can each hold 12 dwarf bodies.

I think it's a good plan; I just regret that Delaar didn't get one. He'll be among his less worthy brothers, but whatever.

Door (perhaps by some affinity to other doors) decorated a door with the imp bones we had, and it was quite a bit more valuable. Ringo said it would be best in his room, and nobody wanted to fight over a door, so we gave it to him. There's also an excess of rooms for the next set of migrants, because this one will only spread more rumors of how fantastic our fortress managing its amazing population of 14.

Another imp got killed a while back rather uninterestingly, and we have discovered that it was the last one. Lucky us.

We've decided to make a pig tail sock, mitten, and glove and see which is the most valuable. I'm rooting for the sock, but Itichi thinks it's going to be a glove.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2008, 10:28:00 pm »

12th of Opal, 1051:
It was the sock after all. I knew it. Itichi owes me a plump helmet and a portion of dwarven flour now. We're making more socks for the elven and human caravans that will probably come next year.

The wall almost completely surrounds the refuse pile now. One section left.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »

Logbook, 22nd of Obsidian, 1051:

Nethgukil. That's the name of the carp that killed Maxwell. There's a small pool near the river that's filled with carp. There were five in this tiny pool, but Maxwell managed to take the number down to three before he was ripped apart. We're going to drain that pool and get his corpse (and stuff) if it kills us.

Which it probably will.

Door is skilled enough in masonry now that he has claimed the title of mason, instead of bone crafter as it was before. He has built the base of the above-ground area by himself and is almost done. We're going to have a barracks on the second floor.

Uh, the river is running red. A unicorn was ripped in half by a sturgeon. This is a bad situation. Those fish are going to be the end of us.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: penguinofhonor ]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »

Logbook, the 1st of Granite, 1052:
Ah, a new year. Door has found time on his busy block-making schedule to make a map of the fortress, included in this entry. I wrote all the little comments scribed (it's a word) all over the map.

The elves will come soon, we know it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

Looks a bit cramped in there...  But, I suppose it's better than my tactic of building a fort for a hundred dwarves with seven of them.

This place is gonna look nice in a bit.   Just need some immigrants to pop in and do the gruntwork, so that the founding seven can beef themselves up to massive power and then lord it over the goblins!  And more instruments.  We need more instruments.

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2008, 01:49:00 am »

Bang Bang! Maxwell hammers no more.
Looks like he didn't last very long. A pox upon you carp! and your teeth! If only it were so simple as encasing the lot of you in carbonite and writing you off forever...

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

Logbook, 15th of Granite, 1052:
The elves came today, mockingly prancing through the herd of unicorns unharmed and uninterrupted. Then the kobold thieves came: two of them. They were dispatched by General Valter, the woodcrafter, Biggs, and Ringo. We now have some more copper.

I'm ordering the bins of stuff to be brought to the trade depot. We made some brass goblets and pig tail socks in advance so the elves wouldn't get all offended.

I loved the look on their faces as they left the mildly forested area and entered the stump-filled clearing around our fortress.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Logbook, 18th of Granite, 1052:
We're done trading with the elves, and it was a bit easier than I thought it would be. We had enough socks that we could give some of the lesser quality ones as gifts to their druids. It's never a bad idea to give gifts, and maybe they'll come back next year with something more useful than two bins of cloth.

We bought those bins of cloth, a couple pieces of wood, a cougar in a cage (awesome), and a few other things. Disappointingly, they didn't have any wooden weapons, which are weak enough to be easily used in training without killing anyone.

[OOC: When the economy kicks in, will dwarves be able to buy the cougar if I set it to "Available" under the "animals" screen?]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »

Oh, I just noticed that the kobold that the woodcrafter (has an axe) and Ringo (has an axe) got chopped into many pieces.

Logbook, 28th of Granite, 1052:
We've decided that Door should get working on improving the accuracy of the stocks, so the woodcrafter will be a mason now because we don't make too many wood crafts.

We're also putting some fields up outside for the seeds we bought from the elves, and will probably buy from the humans. Oh, if the elves bring us some sun berry seeds next year we will forgive their snobbishness for a little bit.

Also, the stray puppies will be put in the cage with the cougar. The cougar doesn't seem that vicious, and dwarven dogs are bred to be able to rip a kobold apart with some training so they should be fine for a while.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

GRAH! GRAH! GRAAAH! NO! This is... this can't be happening! Too many migrants! There were over twenty... Some are definitely going to suffer a few "heart attacks" because this is just insane, this is unreasonable, they tripled the fort's population and I can't handle this much at once. No. I just can't. Our army has jumped from 1 to 15 or so because of all the useless ones.

There... the military's down to nine and the hunters (useless) are dead. And one other useless guy. That means I killed nine.

Logbook, 18th of Slate, 1052:
Migrants came today, many of them. Then about a third of them died, bleeding heavily and generally making a big mess of the place.

Then some macaques came and the military is taking them down as I write this.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »

Logbook, 9th of Felsite, 1052:
Some of the migrants introduced themselves to me today:

Dr. Bombay wanted to hunt tigers. I told him that we didn't have tigers here, and he was saddened.

Besides that, nothing else of interest has happened.

-Paul McCartney

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2008, 08:29:00 pm »

Logbook, 7th of Hematite, 1054:

Summer has begun, and the human traders will come soon. Door has reached a suitable precision with his stock records, so he's back at block-making. He seems to have also worked abnormally hard and made an incredibly high-quality coffin. I don't know who will get it, but it will be someone important.

Dwarmin is also demanding an office now, and we know it won't be long before Ringo's self-given "position" goes to his head, so we're giving them both offices and dining rooms.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

Logbook, 18th of Hematite, 1051:
The humans came today and I traded with them. We got some booze, some leather and cloth, some dye, a couple barrels, meat and plants, and a few weapons. Not really that much, actually.

Progress on the barracks is coming along well.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7