Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The reclamation of Shorastritas  (Read 4677 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
The reclamation of Shorastritas
« on: March 07, 2008, 12:22:00 pm »

From the journal of Captain Nightwatcher:

I've been given command of 42 stout dwarves with orders to retake a fallen outpost from clutches of the murderous Dyansauri.

Little is known about what happened at this fort. We do know that it was a promising site with a bright future ahead of it, and that the traders who had visited it the autumn before it's fall had spoken highly of it the bravery of the dwarves who once lived here.

Now, I stand on the plateau with the walls of Shorastritas before me. All about me are the scattered possessions of the last dwarves to live here. Inside, I know not what we'll find. Horror and death, no doubt. And possibly those cursed monsters who did this. If they dwell here still, I've got a few words to say to them. Mostly attached to steel bolts.

I shall send a dispatch to the mountainhomes once we've cleared the fortress. We've got our work cut out for us, but nothing a few good dwarves can't handle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to try reclaiming the fortress that my new evil race so brutally smashed in the second year. I figure with a nice large reclamation force I'll be able to take it back and improve the defenses. Plus, since all of these dwarves are military trained I should be able to keep a much larger standing army this time around.

If there is interest, I'll continue to post about the fate of this expedition.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The reclamation of Shorastritas
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

*interest*

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 12:27:00 pm »

only interested if it contains lots of ASCII gore
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 12:45:00 pm »

Is this a community fortress?
If so, can I request multiple dwarves?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 12:56:00 pm »

Uh, sure, people can claim dwarves. So far the only people I've named are the Captain, the trader, and a random speardwarf. Which leaves 39 more dwarves.

As for gore, well, I'll post a screenshot in a bit of the fortress as we found it, with dead invaders, dwarves, and elf merchants littering the scene.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:00:00 pm »

I will take the dwarf with the lowest military skill and the lowest stats, and the most cowardice personality. Name him Akroma, make him haul stuff. He should be the one to die first.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 01:09:00 pm »

Sounds pretty good. Mind if I claim another random speardwarf? Name him.. Guy Smiley.

Go forth brave Smiley and reclaim the great Hall of Shorastritas! May your spear pierce the very heart of Dyansauri!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 01:15:00 pm »

"An army marches on its stomach", so the saying goes.  I'll snap up a brewer or a cook, preferably male.  Goes  by the name of 'Sootface'(if cook or cook/brewer), or 'Sarvik' (if brewer).

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »

Hmm...Looks like the dwarves I gave cooking/brewing skill to are all female. Still want one?
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Shorastritas - Initial report

Captain Nightwatcher - Military commander

We have searched the fortress, and found no sign of living enemies. The corpses of Dyansauri and Dwarf alike litter the ground, as well as a few elves. I can only assume they were merchants. While I have no great regard for the tree dwellers, I would never wish such a fate upon them.

At this time, I cannot say what the scaly bastards intentions were here, except for slaughter alone. The ground is littered with food, barrels, even precious platinum crowns and scepters. So pillage cannot have been their goal. Unless they were interrupted in their search, as they did not even bother to bury their own dead.

I have attached a rough sketch of the scene.

As you can see , the main drawbridge to the fort has been raised, leaving only a small entry port on the western side. It appears that the defensive constructions were left uncompleted, which is how the invaders breeched the fortress. A tragedy, but who has ever heard of Dyansauri attacking in such numbers for so small a fortress?

We shall tread carefully, but for now our task is clear. We will clean up this fortress, bury our dead, and prepare the defenses for the next assault. Revenge will have to wait.

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Mephansteras ]

Come play Mafia with us!

Doler 12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

I want a veteran male axe dwarf name him eeeeh, Grindol Ironfist!

[ March 07, 2008: Message edited by: Doler 12 ]

BLOCKQUOTE>quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>I saw one peasant and all his family was dead of old age. Nephews, parents, grandparents, children, brothers. All dead. I let him jo

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 05:56:00 pm »

Gimmie an axe dwarf name him Stratos
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Ed-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://heiteinah.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

Gimme a hammerdwarf and call him/her "Patsie"
quot;''Mike Haggar'' Jaritek let out a sinister laughter! ''Mike Haggar'' has began a mysterious construction! [Several slaughtered goblins later] ''Mike Haggar'' has created Murrdusk, a Goblin Blood Pond. The Pond Menaces with skulls of Goblins and is hi

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Interesting :O It would be better if it was taking back a fort after... Umm... Hidden Fun Stuff...
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

@thatguyyaknow: I'm afraid I only had one axedwarf. You ok with a Hammer or sword wielder?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shorastritas - 18th Sandstone, 1055

Captain Nightwatcher - Military Commander

The last few months have been productive and at least somewhat uneventful. The fortress has been fully reclaimed, and we have even started to work on expanding it. Our mining crew has mapped out several promising excavation sites and have started digging exploratory mine shafts.

On the surface, we've improved the defensive measures in the kill zone, which should prevent another catastrophy should the dinosaurs mount another large scale attack. Zefron, our resident architect, has also drawn up plans for an ambitious anti-siege perimeter defense. It involves a large outer wall, siege engine emplacements, and numerous traps. It's a rather ambitious design, but our masons are confident that it is doable, so I've given the go-ahead.

In less encouraging news, we've had several bad sparring accidents recently, including the death of one of our finest speardwarves. She was well liked in the fortress, and her loss was a large blow to morale. In response, I've ordered the soldiers to spar without weapons for now. They obviously need to learn better armor and shield techniques.

We also discovered a dangerous giant scorpion living out on the edges of the desert below. It managed to slay one of the rangers who was out hunting camel, so I led an expedition to hunt it down. We were successful, with one of the hammerdwarves crushing it to death in a few swift blows. The marauder 'Debkith' is no more.

-------------------

Administrative log - Runesinger

Winter approaches now, but with the additional supplies we acquired from the caravan we are in fine shape. Food and drink stockpiles are full, and the farming operation is in full swing. I've requested additional herd animals from the merchants to supplement the meat our hunters bring in, although that's more of an emergency measure in case of siege. So far, they've been able to keep us well stocked on the deer, camel, and mountain goats inhabiting the region.

In interesting news, the outpost here seems to have been working on a new type of brew from Glowcaps. Their inedible, so no one has ever really grown them before. But, apparently, when distilled their natural toxins are removed, giving us a delightful drink which glows in the dark. Truly magnificent. Once we have a chance to brew more, I'll start exporting it back to the mountainhomes.

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: [1] 2 3