Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The reclamation of Shorastritas  (Read 4682 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The reclamation of Shorastritas
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mephansteras:
<STRONG>Hmm...Looks like the dwarves I gave cooking/brewing skill to are all female. Still want one?</STRONG>

BY ALL THE BLIGHTED EYES OF MORGUS MORILA, WHY IS IT ALWAYS A WOMAN???

Yeah, sure.  But call her Mable instead, 'Mabs' for short.

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

Can I get a swordsdwarf thats also a metalsmith, [(blacksmith, armour weaponsmith) gem cutter/setter, these can just be activated under labour menu once I'm non-millitary)
Call him Jayfrin and make him male

and if i could I'd like 2 marksdwavres in a squad that I lead and I want them to be called trinadad and tobago.

:D hopefully i can get in...

My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

Well, we're currently in non-military mode for the most part. But I can give you one of the metalsmiths. I'll see if any of them were swordsdwarfs, in case you get reactivated.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 01:04:00 pm »

7th Moonstone, 1055

Administrative log - Runesinger

Kagsok, one of our talented craftsdwarves, has gone insane. She was raving about some brilliant craft she *had* to make out of glass. We told her over and over that sand just wasn't available, so there was no way we'd be making glass for her. Not unless we found some rock crystal, anyway, and we hadn't seen any of that yet.

Now, she runs around babbling about shiny glass, and asking everyone why she can't find it. She won't eat, won't sleep, won't drink. I fear she'll not last long in this state.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

25th Granite, 1056

Administrative log - Runesinger

Winter has passed, and this land explodes in green as life returns. This is indeed a lush land, rich in food, timber, metal, and gems. It would almost be a paradise, if not for the ghosts that haunt our fortress.

We see them, still. The wispy images of some of the brave dwarves who defended these halls, still at their posts waiting for an enemy that has already come.

Kagsok died a few weeks back, mad to the end. Some of the craftsdwarves say they can still here her mad ramblings in the halls near the workshops. Perhaps her ghost is trapped here as well.

In better news, an Elven caravan arrived today. It was small, just two traders and their mules, but they had wood and berries, both of which are always welcome.

Military Log - Captain Nightwatcher

Training goes well.  No further injuries, and those that had been suffered before are almost all healed. Bloodhammer still has trouble breathing, but he insists on patroling with the others anyway. Tough dwarf, and one I'm glad to have with us.

As for enemies, we've seen nothing but a few kobolds in the area. The Elven caravan did pass along rumors of the goblins and Dyansauri in the area fighting. perhaps that is what keeps them away from us. In any event, the winter passed quietly.

Our outer fortifications are progressing. I doubt we'll be done for another year, but I'm confident that the primary defenses will keep us safe should an attack come before the outer walls are finished.

[ March 10, 2008: Message edited by: Mephansteras ]

Come play Mafia with us!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>rich in both food, timber, metal, and gems. </STRONG>

Never write when tired, it just leads to weird updates.

So, has Mabs been doing anything interesting as of late?  Any legendary dwarven wine biscuits?

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

alright I'll just get a metalsmith,
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

@thatguyyaknow - I got a ton of immigrants so you get your axedwarf after all.

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, I do have ghosts of a sort. There are six bodies of the previous defenders who just won't go away. The don't rot and turn to bone, they aren't buried even though I have tons of coffins, and they don't really seem to bother anyone. Not sure what's with them but...eh.

This time, I think I'll do a bunch of logs from the various dwarves everyone has claimed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Akroma's journal -

Ya know, I was starting to think that life here is pretty good. I mean, I was really worried when we set off, since we were probably go'n to be fighting tons of those weird dinosaur people. And they're big, like humans, and have nasty sharp teeth. Man, I wasn't look'n forward to that!

But, we got here and there was just a mess. Noth'n to fight, just lots of cleaning and hauling and stuff. So, hey, no problem. I can do that.

But the other day, I ran into a kobold while I was out gathering stuff up! He had this nasty sharp knife that he waved at me! And I'm sure he was curs'n at me. Horrible little creature! I ran back to the fort as fast as I could. He didn't follow me, thank the gods! I don't know if my heart could've taken that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Guy Smiley's journal

Hmph. Go forth and reclaim Shorastritas! Kill the bastard Dyansauri!

Yeah, that's what they said. I was look'n forward to that! Good fight'n with a tough foe. That's what a dwarf wants! Not this endless patrolling and sparring. Nothing to fight out here but damn kobolds. And they don't exactly put up much of a fight.

We bashed one's brains in the other day. It tried to sneak in past us. Bad move. Noth'n fun, though. We just whacked him in the head and he fell down. Humph. At least one of the rangers got to knock one off a cliff. That'd have been better.

Ah, well. The forts do'n well. So maybe we'll get some gobbos look'n for a fight soon. I can always kill gobbos instead of dinos. Good fun either way!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mabs' Journal

I don't know who the brewer before me was, but that dwarf sure had a great idea with these Glowcaps! I consider myself to be a good, competent brewer. Not a legend like my master back in the mountainhomes, maybe, but it's not like anyone's ever complained about my brews. But this Moonglow, well, everyone's raving about it! I may become a legend yet!

Assuming I can get this new immigrant out of the still. Not like we need two brewers in this fortress. Maybe we can have him take over the cooking. We need a decent cook, and, well, maybe he can learn. I'll not have my legend usurped by this newcomer!

Not like he risked life and limb to take this fort back. No, he had to wait until word spread that it was safe. Coward.

Grindol Ironfist's journal

Ahhh. A fresh batch of recruits to train. The Capt'n has order me to take over the training duties fer a bunch of them. Seems most o' the immigrants who showed up were either unskilled or redundant. But ya can't have too many soldiers. Not in a place that's get'n as famous as this one, anyway. And they'll shape up fast. I'm not known as Ironfist fer no reason!

Stratos' journal

A new life!

We walked up to our new home today. We could see mighty walls being built around the entire area, and see marksdwarves manning the towers of the fortress proper.  And this is no simple human style fortress, no. I goes down, deep into the rock.
A good, strong place, full of good, strong dwarves.

I've been asked to join the military here, and to lift and axe in it's defense. Nothing would make me prouder!

Patsie's journal

I'm not too sure about these recruits. One of them died today, suffered a crushed windpipe after a hammerblow. It was an obvious shot, too. I mean, any idiot could have dodged that!

Well, apparently not any idiot.

But I earned a scolding from the Captain for it, and we're back to training unarmed until these new recruits get used to defending themsleves. I miss my hammer already.

Jayfrin's journal

I was searching around the journal the previous blacksmith had in the forge. Seems they'd come up with some may to temper crystal into a hard enough form to be used for armor and weapons. And, with cinnabar and cobaltite it can be made harder still.

So, me an' the other metalsmiths have been trying it out. It's slow work, even more time consuming then mak'n steel. But the results are pretty good, I'll give them that.

Lot'sa new stuff go'n on here. Good stuff. Maybe that's why those dinosaurs attacked so fast?

I dunno. But if they come back, I think they'll find a stiffer defense then last time. This new crystal is going to give us a real edge! And if I have to, I'll have a sword in my own hand to greet them with. We're not go'n to lose this fortress again. Not if I have anything to say about it, anyway.

Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 04:45:00 pm »

Shorastritas - 16th Limestone, 1056

Captain Nightwatcher - Military Commander

No sign of the Dyansauri, but we've had our first run-ins with the Goblins.

They first arrived trailing a caravan from the High Elves of Lithigica. Sadly, one of our bright weaponsmiths was cut down before help could arrive. I have to give the elves credit, their soldiers made short work of the goblins. I only with their merchants were as brave.

Our soldiers got thier first taste of goblin blood a little while later, as several goblin thieves attempted to sneak past our patrols. Apparently, they're not too good at it.

Another group of goblins was found by one of our rangers. He died, unfortunatley, apparently hurled off of the same cliff face where he had once sent a kobold to it's death. Our soldiers made it there shortly thereafter, and the goblins paid dearly in blood for that assault.

These have been simple scouting parties, I think. No sign yet of any major force, but as a few managed to escape the goblins know we're here for sure.

Fortunately, our defensive preparations are nearing preparation. I can only hope that the last few gaps in the walls are filled in before any enemy armies arrive.

Come play Mafia with us!

skeightmachine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>
Another group of goblins was found by one of our rangers. He died, unfortunatley, apparently hurled off of the same cliff face where he had once sent a kobold to it's death.</STRONG>

A cruel twist of fate for this young ranger. Karma struck him back I suppose. He will be missed.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 12:54:00 am »

9th of Slate, 1057

Administrative log - Runesong

Looking back over the past year, I can't help but be proud of this fortress and the dwarves who've put so much work into it.

We've finished the outer walls, our farming and trapping have kept us well fed, and we have abundent resources for trade. We discovered several more small veins of Platinum amongst the magnetite, as well as a gold vein. It's nice to have more wealth then the traders can hope to take off in a trip!

In other interesting news, we've discovered a cave river down in the mines. It's sealed off for the moment, while we discuss it's potential uses. The good captain isn't certain that it's worth the hassle of dealing with the various monstrosities that usually inhabit such areas, but I'm not so sure. I think we may find a few good uses for it.

Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

11th of Felsite, 1057

We had another batch of migrants arrive today. The fortress is now ninety-one strong! This batch was led by a strange dwarf who calls himself the Dungeon Master. To be honest, I'm kind of frightened of him. But he is noble, and so we've set about preparing proper quarters for him. And, I must say that he is useful. His first actions when he arrived was to head down to the forge to make some armor for our soldiers. If only all nobles were so in touch with the honest work that makes us dwarves instead of men.

He seemed...excited about the news of a cave river. I wonder what he knows about the denizens of that cave that we do not?

In other news, our chief architect has drawn up plans for what she is calling a legendary tower and meeting area. She has dreams of a mighty waterfall cascading from the heights, with a statue garden down below near the pool and balconies with tables and chair to create a sublime dining area. It seems rather grand to me, but since Captain Nightwatcher says that the defenses are mostly complete, I guess we can afford to devote a few masons to the work.

Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2008, 02:01:00 pm »

15th of Malachite, 1057

Captain Nightwatcher - Military Commander

The goblins launched their first real assault on our fortress the other day. It wasn't a large invasion force, just a squad of lashers lead by a swordsman. They did manage to catch one of our rangers out hunting, however. Fortunately, a farmer who was out collecting items was saved when our military rushed out to engage the goblins. We had been pelting them with bolts as they made their way to the kill zone when she tried to get through them. Which meant that we couldn't wait for the goblins to really get into a good position for slaughter.

However, she was nimble and able to evade them while our brave warriors rushed out. Ah, my blood still pounds remembering one of our Spearmasters chasing down their swordsman as he fled in fear. She leaped at him, burying her spear deep in his back before running the last two goblins off. A magnificent sight! She's being called a Champion now. A fitting title for a dwarf who has risked her life so often for her fellow dwarves.

Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

5th of Slate, 1058

We've finally gained official attention for our successes! The Baron Tiristdumat, now Count Tiristdumat, has been appointed the new caretaker for these lands. Although I doubt any of my duties will actually diminish any.

Still, this is a major step for us. With the Count came his consort, a tax collector, and Hammerer. She's...a bit odd. But I trust things will work out for the best.

We also got a new batch of migrants in with the Count. Since he has demanded a Royal guard, and our fortress guard was a bit understaffed, the good Captain has taken them under his care. We've more then enough workers for now, so that solved me the headache of figuring out what to do with them.

Come play Mafia with us!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

From the journal of Guy Smiley

So, interesting work we've had lately. The capt'n set me and Stratos down to that cave river they found. I guess the fishers want a crack at the cave fish, or someth'n. Anyway, there were a bunch o' nasty things living in there. Olmmen, frogmen, a couple of snakemen. All ready for a bit o' fight'n.

Me and Stratos, we were happy to oblige.

Well, and a few of those rookie marksdwarves. But they didn't really do much after first snakeman. Mostly off taking breaks with the excitement started. But I guess you can't expect much out of a bunch of milkmaids, can ya?

I'm just hoping the Captain sets up back up to the surface when the goblins come back. I don't want to miss out on the fun!

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2] 3