Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 517467 times)

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #1035 on: March 11, 2017, 11:24:27 am »

So you know the trolls making it in around the fortifications? There's a damned ramp up the outside of the fortifications, leading straight into the inside. I have no idea why the fort isn't swarming with zombies right now. I have corrected this. The ramp, not the zombies.
Yeah, sorry about that ramp.  I constructed that when I found out the trolls didn't instantly murderize everyone on the surface, so they found finish the building project of mine.  We were already sealed off then, so I didn't give a shit.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1036 on: March 11, 2017, 11:45:17 am »

FYI, the lever in my bedroom seals the bunker. Probably should've mentioned it earlier.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 11, 2017, 12:31:48 pm »

FYI, the lever in my bedroom seals the bunker. Probably should've mentioned it earlier.
I was thinking, I should rip up all these levers, since I can only guess what half of them do.  That was before I ended up in the bunker of doom, and then I was forced to try and fine a working lever to close the gate. 
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1038 on: March 11, 2017, 03:30:21 pm »

I was thinking, I should rip up all these levers, since I can only guess what half of them do.  That was before I ended up in the bunker of doom, and then I was forced to try and fine a working lever to close the gate.

NEVER rip up levers. The time may come when an unlabeled lever will save us all.

Also the levers in the control room in the bunker are labeled. With engravings.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 11, 2017, 08:02:32 pm »

NEVER rip up levers. The time may come when an unlabeled lever will save us all.

Also the levers in the control room in the bunker are labeled. With engravings.
And that possibility terrifies me. 

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 13, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »

Main post has been updated and TheFlame52 has been added to the turn list.

I've been wondering about what to do about the extra fluff you fellas like to write, and I think the best decision would be if I incorporated it into the PDF format when it comes.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 13, 2017, 03:46:46 pm »

Main post has been updated and TheFlame52 has been added to the turn list.

I've been wondering about what to do about the extra fluff you fellas like to write, and I think the best decision would be if I incorporated it into the PDF format when it comes.
Sounds good.  Too much work I think to track down, and it's not excessively critical to the story.  Perhaps if you're following individuals, but yeah.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 14, 2017, 09:24:37 am »

Wonderful, a new evil artifact, this one a prime example of both "light is not good" and "good powers, bad people." It also fits for "cursed artifact" in the posesion category. Arc is a trope master. This means he is incredibly well versed in the cliches of stories, mostly because he has found that these tend to be reflected in real life.
Don't forget "Talking Weapon", and "Sealed Evil in a Can".
Hey, does Necrothreat III have a PDF?
We're piling bodies in the fortified area, near the gate. Intimidate our enemies! And also get rid of the stench of rot.
You are placing the bodies closer to the necrothreaders?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:40:20 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1043 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:30 am »

Well, I've been back at university for two days, I already hate one of my courses, I have a headache, and if I try to paint while I run DF my PC will melt.

I'll edit updates into this post as slabs are unearthed, as usual.

The next slab is marked "Early autumn".

With scholars here from all over the world, I've heard more stories of the old Necrothreat. Legendary heroes like the Highmax I dreamed of, great leaders like The Flame. In balance, also the crazed forumites like the mad doctor Sprin, who seems to have left his mark even on this fortress.

It's enough to make one feel positively inadequate. I suspect that I will go down in history as having kept things moving and nothing more, no great feats to my name. Perhaps there is something to be done about the risen dead, but I can't say what we could do. Thirteen left alive and none nearly skilled enough to face over sixty unfeeling, undying monsters. My thoughts are more on murderous traps and pitfalls, but I am at a loss as to how to bring it about. Pouring boiling lava over the landscape, whilst tempting, is mechanically challenging and introduces its own problems.

Siege batteries are my first thought, but our technology is so primitive I doubt we would see much success. Somehow our best and brightest are unable to find a way to angle the shots. They say it's something to do with the size of the machines. I'm no engineer. Spears feel more right in my hands than they should, but ask me to think like a mechanic and I'm immediately a mason again.

Traps seem inadequate. Perhaps if smelting operations are brought into operation, vast arrays of silver hammers could be put in place to not merely dismember but annihilate, but with so few hands available I worry it will never be done. Perhaps if I find someone who seems to be hauling and force them to it? I don't know.

The child with the strange ideas is building something. Don't ask me what. She has rocks, gems, cloth, copper, logs... I couldn't even guess at her intentions.

I've assigned a beekeeper to the metallic arts. Armok knows why we have a beekeeper. We have enough problems without adding bees. Bees! Ridiculous. She was hauling rocks around. The boulders do clutter the place, but there are more pressing issues at stake with the armies of Ur at the door. Or are they the armies of Armok? The tales of old the scholars have unearthed sometimes confuse me. Such is scholarship to the laymite.

This slab is as large as the others, despite its short text. The letters are etched slightly more carelessly than usual.

She made a thrice-damned mug. With a picture of a mug on it. I should throw her to the dead.

Operation Hammer of Justice, as I've taken to calling it, is underway. The beekeeper (beekeeper! really) is finally working up the dusty construction sites. I'm not yet sure how precisely how we'll put it all together, but we have everything we need to slay these creatures right here in the fortress with this plan, which is better than anything else I can think of.

The queen still seems to have some delusions of authority. She's trying to ban exports. I'm not sure she's all there any more.

There's a child who is apparently an absolute master poet and musician vomiting on the steps. Apparently trying to pick up equipment. I don't even pretend to understand what happens in this place any more.

The beekeeper is cleaning. You try and try and then this happens. Ugh.

And the forge is built! We need only to get the wood furnace going, and then the metalsmiths can start forging parts for the magma works.

The trolls are still thrashing around behind their walls. Don't the things need to eat? It scares me. I don't know that we'll ever be rid of the creatures.

The beekeeper is collecting copper to try to forge a screw for the pump, but I don't think it's dawned on her that she needs charcoal to fire the forge. Noooot the brightest jewel in the crown.

Well... we've got beasts. Forgotten ones, to be precise. Seek Hosoo Booratpesot about fifty urist straight down. It's an andesite crab, although Armok alone knows what andesite's doing here. This is gneiss, phyllite and marble territory. Apparently it spits? Don't know how I know that. One of the ghosts drifting past said something about an orchestra. Don't think anyone's had any instruments to play, though.

It shouldn't be able to get into the fort. The passage into that cavern is sealed, and the only way I can think it might possibly squeeze through is flight. Which it doesn't have.

It's Sandstone! We're getting close to being able to actually clear up some of the mess and make something reasonable of this fort. The research is important, but I want to leave the fortress in a useable position at the end of my tenure. It's hard without access to the outside. Wood for beds is really what I want, but I dare not send out many. Also we don't have many. Doesn't help.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:28:18 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 14, 2017, 10:09:36 am »

Necrothreat III does not have a PDF format yet.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1045 on: March 14, 2017, 10:42:53 am »

You are placing the bodies closer to the necrothreaders?

Yes. Because I need to get them out of the fortress and I can't do a proper pit right now. We can bury them as soon as we have enough hands/time to make that possible.

I feel like the dead are edging closer to the fort. I'm going to find some way of confining everyone inside. There's too much scope for this to go horribly wrong, horribly suddenly.

Everyone's confined to the inside of the fortifications. I'm working on closing off the ramp. We should have enough wood for most of our needs hoarded up inside, since we're working on the magma operations. As soon as we find the new pipe section, Ill have the pump built.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:18:24 am by Arx »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 14, 2017, 10:50:41 am »

Yes. Because I need to get them out of the fortress and I can't do a proper pit right now. We can bury them as soon as we have enough hands/time to make that possible.
Personally I'd atom smash them so there wouldn't be any bodies to animate, but it is your choice.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1047 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:50 am »

The miner is currently doing pretty well at drowning himself in the aquifer. This might go south fast.

Edit: Alright, fixed. We, uh, have a new reservoir. On purpose. Sure.

The miner got a bit overzealous and punched a hole into a higher part of the aquifer. Luckily, we sealed off the room. He got to spend a good while practicing drowning as a reward.

The pump is finally under construction. The beekeeper gets to do it, too! She's having fun hauling huge chunks of copper across most of the fortress. She's going to have to operate it, too. And run the forges, when we have them. We will beat a real job into her if we have to!

I have discovered another beekeeper. They can take shifts.

The other beekeeper burnt himself to death on the magma. That's what you get for trying to make something of someone stupid enough to associate with bees for a living.

That's it for updates for tonight. Some weird, weird DF shenanigans I don't have the energy to deal with. Magma everywhere. I don't even know where the body's gone. O_o
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 12:07:10 pm by Arx »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 14, 2017, 02:32:47 pm »

Wonderful, a new evil artifact, this one a prime example of both "light is not good" and "good powers, bad people." It also fits for "cursed artifact" in the posesion category. Arc is a trope master. This means he is incredibly well versed in the cliches of stories, mostly because he has found that these tend to be reflected in real life.

Well, a fellow troper, I guess it isn't all bad.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 14, 2017, 04:07:19 pm »

Well, a fellow troper, I guess it isn't all bad.
[Initiate psychological warfare tactics]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 07:40:44 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 202