Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 516545 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #1320 on: April 19, 2017, 06:04:35 am »

The siege had finally been lifted. Oh, the joy it brought us, I can not describe! Immediately, some of our forumites dropped their belongings, and burst out into celebrations. A great feast would be held! The feast of spring!

I had some of the tables still in our stocks dragged to the rudimentary cathedral, almost fully dug out now. The first smoothing efforts had begun, and some caskets were already in place. Amidst the temple still under construction, I gathered all my forumites. From the youngest child to the most shriveled elder, they all came, awaiting the celebration. My father, Me, and Ganondwarf were seated at the right of the long table, placed atop the bridge in the temple. All our ingredients I had ordered to be prepared. It wasn't much: Some courage wolf and lolcat meat, some persimmons and a whole lot of plump helmets. No cook had survived the catastrophes befalling the fort, so we had to make do with the raw ingredients. Still, the feast was enjoyable. Songs of fertile lands were sang, poems about new life recited, but most of all, we enjoyed the marvelous legends of Old Necrothreat. It was why we were here, after all. Even the visiting scholars joined in on the fun, enlightening us all a bit with their seemingly infinite knowledge.

After my fiftieth mug of Dwarven Wine, I finally headed upstairs, together with the others. Tomorrow, more work had to be done. The temple was still not finished, and whilst we had the opportunity we would need to gather as much outside resources as we possibly could. Our wood was almost depleted, and some fresh water from the brook could also be put to use. Most of the land around us was still ashes and cinders, yet soon, new life would blossom and we would be able to gather a variety of wild herbs and plants. Spring always was my favorite season.

Ganondwarf, finally not forced to train all day, surprisingly sought to pursue some of his other talents. I was never aware of his, somewhat meager, ability to tan, but he seemed to take great pride in his skill to do so.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He was dedicated, I had to give him that. I could not convince him to let it go, as he angrily lashed out to anyone trying to dissuade him. In the end, I had two puppies slaughtered for him so that he could finish his craft. He took a lot of other resources: many gems, rough and cut, logs, and even a large limestone pebble. Just as he had finally gathered all he required, one of the marksmites inspecting our fortifications came hurrying towards me, bringing a message I will never forget.

It seemed their many gods had convinced them to travel towards the fortress. Some came because the legends of old, some because of wealth and fortune. Others, just came. Compelled by forces unbeknownst to them. Yet I could see. The hands of their gods, upon their shoulders. Thukkan, Idräth, Omer. Some even had multiple upon them, or foreign ones belonging to divine and ethereal beings I had never known. Many came too. When looking at the ledgers the Queen of Masons had compiled, I almost jumped in the air! They were so many some of them could immediately be drafted into the military!

Finally, hope returned. The works continued, as we were reinvigorated by the new source of manpower and morale. The next months passed by in a breeze, with few things of note happening. Our woodcutter got maimed by the charred remains of a humongous cherry tree. She has survived thus far, but will most likely never be able to walk properly again, as both her legs were crushed by the impact. Our mechanic, Zuntîr Mörulstettad, has been promoted to tech support, as he is the one who saved the woodcutter. His hands, fine tuned by working with precise gears and mechanisms, are suited for the job. He will need to learn, but I am sure he will succeed. We have dug out some magma smelters and a magma forge, allowing us to freely melt a lot of the invaders' gear.

Finally, after months of heavy labour, Ganondwarf finished his project. He has created Ustoluslosm, "Murderedstrangers". A name befitting of its creator.

Ganondwarf, now a legendary tanner, immediatly went back to sparring with father after finishing his construction. Later that night, father told me Ganondwarf started appreciating his shield more and more, as he had started to fight less aggressively. Maybe crafting Murderedstrangers had finally made him changer.

Spring had passed quickly. Three months had flown by, with almost no accidents happening. The days were still filled with immense labour, but there was a sense of tranquility. A sense of hope. What we had came here for finally looked close. The temple had been completely unearthed, and it only needed to be decorated now. Once the gods were pleased, they might finally aid us more in our eternal search for knowledge.

Knowledge. Knowledge was key. We had many scholars, pondering, day in day out. But no significant written knowledge, other than the dusty, indecipherable "MANVSCRIPTVM DIETATVM". And that wasn't even ours. We would need to write down our findings, and for that, we needed parchment. Lots of it. Quills and scrolls, ink and bindings. Books could be stored within our preexisting yet remarkably empty library, or within the Church of Chaos, the name my forumites had given the sacred cathedral. It was fitting. Just as I was about to order the construction of a magma kiln, an eerie scream came from our fortifications.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1321 on: April 19, 2017, 07:06:13 am »

Realy? Nobody even tried to interpret my speech? I am dissapointed. Its not random mumbling, i spent half an hour on it :(

I will not pretend to understand what you wrote, Gwolfski. I realized that it probably meant something but hell I'm not decyphering it, and as such it holds little interest while it remains without escalation, conflict and conclusion context since it's merely foreshadowing (and as such if you write more it may make sense.)

Now, if you were trying to be philosophical then you definitely need some sort of context to get us invested.
:P
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: April 19, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »

Gods, the chaos.

As soon as I heard the alarms go off, I ordered everyone inside, whilst speeding to the fortifications myself.
What I saw was far from pretty.

Dozens of trolls, some armed, others fully nude. Accompanied by their beasts of war, horses and lolcats. There was not much time. Time lessened, as I saw trolls climbing up our wooden fortifications. Accompanied by all our soldiers: Ruhn's Bolts, The Copper Jewels and The New Wave Warmen, I stood there. My father urged me to go inside and seal part of the fortress, and I obeyed.

Using Omer's scrying powers I looked outside. With his voice, I boomed orders to the soldiers. Yet they did not listen. They could not listen. They lacked the gift. The Marksmites refused to fire a single bolt, instead opting for blunt force by using their crossbows as banhammers. Initially it worked, when small clusters of trolls climbed up at a time. Yet, once the fighting escalated, this tactic immediately failed. Five of our six marksmites jumped off our fortifications and charged recklessly upon the approaching tide of enemies. Only Nox remained with the melee fighters, ready to defend instead of attack.

Things quickly got sour. In the heat of battle, two dwarves, our mechanic/tech support and one of the engravers, left the safety of the fortress to do whatever they had planned to do. Just as the trolls broke through and the troops were forced to retreat. Nox, My father, and the three New Wave Warmen retreated unscathed. Yet Ganondwarf remained behind, intentionally luring the trolls away after his path had been cut off by one of the leaders of the trolls. Skot was his name. Ganondwarf's sacrifice is the sole reason for Nox' escape. He fought bravely, felling Troll after Troll after Troll, yet in the end the trolls outweighed him, and he fell prey to their tusks. Soon, the two civilian forumites fell too, one to the trolls and one to a cursed lolcat.

Some decorative drawings describing the ambush litter the page, all marked with the content they ought to resemble

After ordering the entrance sealed shut with a wooden barricade, we mourned our dead and continued our labor. The temple still needed to be finished, after all. I feared I would not finish it before the start of winter. A sinister ghost had told me, that as soon as the bells of winter rang, my powers would weaken, or even fade. Possibly for eternity, possibly for a time. We needed to toil harder, even as our stocks started depleting. Why my brewers refused to brew deluded me.

Trolls clawing at our doors, we continued most of the summer. We heard them ravage the outer plaza, destroying floors, doors and the depot. I told myself they would soon leave, to keep me from going mad. In the meantime, one of the children crafted a beautiful yet incredibly simple earring. It was good craftsmanship, but the name already eludes me. Compared to our other artifacts it is of no worth.

Nox took Ganondwarf's sacrifice hard. He had known him for a long time, and though they were not friends they shared a history of battles together. I have allowed him to honour Ganondwarf by letting him take Ganondwarf's place as a hammerdwarf in the Copper Jewels.

Suddenly, Omer spoke to me. His voice sad, regretful even. Still, I managed to comprehend the tongue of the gods with more ease every day, and his speech felt barely different than talking to another forumite. The power was desensitizing me for it, just like terror desensitized my fear.

L̕͡e҉̷͟m͞on̢pié̕,́́͢ ̷̷͡m͟y͡ ͡a͝c̴͠ol̛̕yt͞͡e̵.̴́ ̸̨̀I ̛h̀̕͢á͠v̀ę̛͢ ̶f̶a͟͢ì͡l̸̢͝e̡d̵ ̷y̴͜o̕u҉́.̀ ̢W̕͞h͠i͞ĺ̡̕s̴t͞ ͟͠f̡oc̸͢u̶si̸n̴̢g̢̢ ̴͟oń҉͘ ͢a̶tt̸̡r̕à͡c͘͘tì̴̧n̶g̕͡ ҉̷͝m̸̀òr͞e̸͞ ̸͞me̴̸n ͏́͜f҉o͟r҉̷ ̕t͘h̵͢͢e͜͞ ̧c̛o̢ņ̛s̢͟tr̸̀uct̴̡̧i̧͟o҉̶n̸,͞ I͠ ͏̵ḩ̵͘a̵v҉e̴͜ ͟r͠eg̛r̴ę́tf̵͝u̢l̵̢l̡͡y͞ ̸̡͡į̛͠g̕͝͡nor̶ed̀͢ ̧̀͞t̀he̛͡ ̴̡ş̵͡i̴̶͠e͞͏g̶͟e.͏

̡͞͝T̸h҉̸ę́ ̨̀m̛e͏ǹ̷ w̴į̵l҉l ̴arr̶̨̡i̧̢v̴e ͜͡s̡o̸o͠n̷̨̕.͜ ̀̕͟Th̢̧e ͟w̧͘o͏m̀͝e̶̢n,̵ ̨chi̵͟l̢͡d̷͟͠r̕҉͏e͠n ̛a͜n̢̕d͡ ͠a̸n҉į̢má͜͟l͞s͟ ̸͘͠t҉o̷o҉.҉̧
҉
̷Th̷͜ęy̨͘͟ ̧̛wi͢ll̸̨ n͏o҉̨t̴ ̸s͟u͜ŗ̴v͡í̶͞v̕͏e̴̵͠.̢
̴̧
Í̸͘ ̡am̡ ̛so̵r̕͜r̶y͜.́

Hearing a god apologize like that shattered my heart.

I knew of the slaughter to come, but I was still unprepared to face it.

Words can not describe the sound of a wounded forumite banging on the barricade, chased by a horde of laughing trolls. Most didn't even make it close to the door.

The bone doctor was the first to fall, followed by his six year old daughter and their pet kittens. Then the others fell: the farmer, the ranger, the jeweler, the performer. None made it close, as the horde quickly tore them into a mist of blood and gore.

Two came close though. The first being another ranger. He had managed to kill one of the trolls chasing him with his bare hands, and was on his way to the inner bridge. He, however, was forced to take the elaborate path one of the previous leaders had dug out, turning left and right everywhere.

Trolls, however, are good jumpers, and they quickly caught up to their prey, tearing him apart in the middle of the path.

The second was a metalcrafter. How he got so far is a mystery to all of us. He sprinted pas the hordes outside, dashed over the cluster of trolls still toying with Ganondwarf's now-rotting corpse, and ran up to the roof. We thought he was safe, as we all followed him using a large scrying panel I had improvised within the cathedral. We sighed with relief, and started planning how to get him inside the safe heart of the fortress.

Skot, however, would have none of it.

As sneaky as a troll possibly can be, he managed to get on the roof too.

Just him and the Last Migrant.

The battle was swift and unsurprising. Whilst the metalcrafter, named Ustuth, just as our queen, managed to injure one of Skot's feet, the troll quickly tore off both of his legs. His arms followed suit. Now a motionless ragdoll, Ustuth could only powerlessly watch as Skot slowly tore open his body and started pulping his  innards with his hands, simultaneously feasting on the offal he tore out.

Many of us vomited at the atrocities Skot committed. Ustuth resilience seemed endless, something that worked against him as he would not die. Instead, he survived until he was barely anything more than a head, a spine and a beating heart. It all ended when Skot finally crushed Ustuth's skull to a gory pulp.

We could do nothing but watch.

Again, shocking drawings accompany the notes, sketches of the gruesome slaughter

As Usthuth laid there, bleeding out, and we laid sick in the cathedral, Armok started laughing. And to my fury, I saw the ambushing trolls disappearing, just at the moment the migrants were all dead. This, this truly tore apart my soul.

What a fucking troll.

Hope I'm not updating too much, just enjoy writing this. I also fear I may not finish the cathedral in time. Oh well.

Also, If anyone wants to be forumited as one of the forumites I currently have, please say so! I feel like I'm cluttering up the thread all by myself and I would love some more of your lore.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: April 19, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »

I'll take the Axemite. I think it's time for the return of Apiks.

Also keep writing! I'm greatly enjoying your writeups!
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:56 pm »

You're doing great, there's no such thing as updating too much.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: April 19, 2017, 12:22:31 pm »

Worry not, my lord; your writings are greatly appreciated. :D
Is it possible to have someone designated as both a marksdwarf and a hammerdwarf? And set to switch weapon depending on range?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1326 on: April 19, 2017, 12:28:12 pm »

I somehow missed the fact that I killed myself. I don't know if I should ask for reforumiting now, I clearly don't appreciate it. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: April 19, 2017, 01:20:21 pm »

Ganondwarf died?! I made him invincible! How could a creature with force divider of 1000 lose?!

Anyway... At least I made an everlasting artifact before I died. Too bad it wasn't named 'Rosywander'.
The mechanic is also a fluid/optics engineer. Is that scholar enough for Smoke Mirrors?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: April 19, 2017, 01:34:32 pm »

The mechanic is also a fluid/optics engineer. Is that scholar enough for Smoke Mirrors?
I'm afraid the mechanic/doctor died in the ambush, unless you're referring to another forumite on the list?

I somehow missed the fact that I killed myself. I don't know if I should ask for reforumiting now, I clearly don't appreciate it. :P
I'll gladly reforumite you.

Just remember: All life is temporary in the eternal flesh mill that is Necrothreat

I'll take the Axemite. I think it's time for the return of Apiks.

Also keep writing! I'm greatly enjoying your writeups!
I'm glad you like them!

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: April 19, 2017, 02:12:04 pm »

"They do not know what powers they mess with, nor who is in the body I now possess. A life had to be given and a life I had taken for my return and yet they do not know me. A false queen has installed herself in my throne of bones and my crown has been banished to the deepest reaches of this fortress, far beyond my reach.

The mortal coil does not matter, now that I am here. This is a place of death. Of necromancy, even if I perish yet again, I shall rise again. Rise again to take back what is rightfully mine! Time. Time. I will bide my time. After all, I have all the time in the world, kahahahaha. Yet the crown beckons me. I must have it. THE ONE TRUE CROWN MUST RETURN TO ITS TRUE WIELDER.

But time, yes, time, I shall bide my time. Everybody that knew me is dead, they won't recognize me, yes. I will bide my time. The crown will be mine again. But what is this? I feel new powers at work here, not just workings of Armok and Ur. More gods have taken an interest in my bastion, my salvation. This cannot be allowed to stand. I refuse to bow down to any god! I refuse to let gods control our way of life anymore!

The gods must be destroyed. Banished from this world and the next forever. No longer will I let them hold my fate in their hands. But for now I must bide my time, yes. I will bide my time. And when the time comes for the gods to be put in their place... well... may justice be done though the heavens fall."

As such I'll be taking another go at the fortress if it reaches to my turn. With all the religious maniacs we have I thought it might be time to return to secularist society.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:13:54 pm by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: April 19, 2017, 02:14:57 pm »

"They do not know what powers they mess with, nor who is in the body I now possess. A life had to be given and a life I had taken for my return and yet they do not know me. A false queen has installed herself in my throne of bones and my crown has been banished to the deepest reaches of this fortress, far beyond my reach.

The mortal coil does not matter, now that I am here. This is a place of death. Of necromancy, even if I perish yet again, I shall rise again. Rise again to take back what is rightfully mine! Time. Time. I will bide my time. After all, I have all the time in the world, kahahahaha. yet the crown. It beckons to me. I must have it. THE ONE TRUE CROWN MUST RETURN TO ITS TRUE WIELDER.

But time, yes, time, I shall bide my time. Everybody that knew me is dead, they won't recognize me, yes. I will bide my time. The crown will be mine again. But what is this? I feel new powers at work here, not just workings of Armok and Ur. More gods have taken an interest in my bastion, my salvation. This cannot be allowed to stand. I refuse to bow down to any god! I refuse to let gods control our way of life anymore!

The gods must be destroyed. Banished from this world and the next forever. No longer will I let them hold my fate in their hands. But for now I must bide my time, yes. I will bide my time. And when the time comes for the gods to be put in their place... well... may justice be done though the heavens fall."

As such I'll be taking another go at the fortress if it reaches to my turn. With all the religious maniacs we have I thought it might be time to return to secularist society.
Oh my, let's hope pray this won't manifest into an iconoclastic fury once you take over.
Also, you're up to some good shizzle ingame, might even push out another update today the way things are going.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: April 19, 2017, 02:46:20 pm »

Date Unknown

Hail to ye', Nox.

"It's been a while, hasn't it."

That it's been. I died, y'know, amongst other stuff. I've been working on contacting Arc. He around?

"Doubt he'll ever be."

Really? I could've sworn he'd been here...

"No, there aren't any records of his arrival."

Hm. Well... okay then. Anyway, what's going on topside? P.I. gone?

"..."

...what happened?

"We're not talking about Ganon."

Oooookay then. Anyway... who's up there now? Who's in charge? Did Rogue smash the hat?

"No. There's been complications. And more than that, the bone man? He's back. He possessed the glassic axeman."

:( Well damn. That's not good. He in charge?

"Thank Psyche no. The current overseer - well, high priest, to be honest - would be the Lord Lemonpie. He has his eccentricities, but is a reasonable man. For the most part; something of a fanatic, though. He's been talking with... something. Some things, that feel powerful, like Psyche. Benign ones, though. Not like those "Armok" or "Ur" beasts that you mentioned."

A'right, that sounds great. Though I notice the frosties on their way... he won't be in charge much longer, will he. D'ye need anything a'fore ye leave? I got a repeating crossbow, some experimental psionic amps...

"I'll be fine, Erin. Don't worry. Now, I'm needed back topside. Next time I can spare some time, I'll meet back up with ya."

Aye, that'd be appreciated. Sydney is out recovering some spirits from the ground level - the lab's looking a lot like a refugee camp - but she wanted to meet you. Lemme know the next time you'll be down in advance.

"Will do. I'll be seeing you soon, one way or another."

Erin's going to be getting a surprise when one P.I. Chu/Ganondwarf shows up with the migrants.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:57:05 pm by Glass »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: April 19, 2017, 03:43:35 pm »

That's P.I Kachu! Anyway why do you keep referring as if I'm a private investigator? Besides, both pikachu17 and Ganondwarf are dead.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: April 19, 2017, 04:06:56 pm »

That's P.I Kachu! Anyway why do you keep referring as if I'm a private investigator? Besides, both pikachu17 and Ganondwarf are dead.

Nonono, you're P.I. Kang Ann Chu, sometimes shortened to P.I. Chu. And because I feel like it.
Recall that Erin is also dead. That has not stopped him yet. And I specifically was referring to them because they're dead.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: April 19, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »

Well, the fort is becoming more and more mystically inclined and I very excited. While I am not in the interest of helping the god killer, I had been thinking of this since P. I. found Roseywander and I feel like this would be a good time to say it. I had been thinking that Afer and other gods wanted Roseywander gone because it was some sort of god killer. World serpent's fang, enchanted with the soul of Apophis, (or his fang) or some other type of mythological death weapon, it just makes sense, expecially with Apiks' new "mission."

EDIT: Hey Glass, I think it is time to give everyone another magic lesson. Gold, Silver, and Copper. The origins of magic may be becoming a more important topic soon.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:59:49 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 202