Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 517374 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #1350 on: April 20, 2017, 06:56:46 am »

I don't remember which magic was for illusions.
We don't have one yet. You know what that means...
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 20, 2017, 07:31:44 am »

I feel like we'd said it could be green or purple based on if it was bending light or making you think you saw something when it wasn't there.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:43 am »

I feel like we'd said it could be green or purple based on if it was bending light or making you think you saw something when it wasn't there.
Yeah, we have a nice and even nine, no need to add any more.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 20, 2017, 07:58:08 am »

Nine is odd, not even. I also recall reading something about how illusions are made in one of the magic posts.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 20, 2017, 02:17:39 pm »

Nine is odd, not even. I also recall reading something about how illusions are made in one of the magic posts.
I like the number 3, 9 is 3 + 3 + 3, I didn't mean even as in even and odd, I meant even as in when people say 3:40 when the time is 3:37.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 20, 2017, 02:27:47 pm »

I like the number 3, 9 is 3 + 3 + 3, I didn't mean even as in even and odd, I meant even as in when people say 3:40 when the time is 3:37.
You mean like how people say 3:10 when the time is 3:09?

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 20, 2017, 02:52:27 pm »

Was that supposed to be a joke? Do you want a tenth magic? We've already exhausted primary colors, secondary colors, and the rainbow.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 20, 2017, 03:25:34 pm »

Don't forget shades.

While on the topic, what sort of magic might my character be accidentally using?  He's effectively a ghost, but with the memories of past overseers (from private games I've run, and written stuff for.)
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:00 pm »

Was that supposed to be a joke? Do you want a tenth magic? We've already exhausted primary colors, secondary colors, and the rainbow.
No, just that 9 is not "even" the way you said it was.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:36 pm »

snip
Killing this abomination of a stack right here right now before it gets out of hand.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 20, 2017, 04:30:48 pm »

In the months after the troll ambush, the ambush we had started to refer to as Skot's Pillage, we labored tirelessly, cleaning up the inside mess, hauling rock and stone, melting tetrahydrite, forging weaponry, and most of all, finishing the cathedral.

All had been dug out, but the smoothing was still far from finished. Decorations too needed to be added.

And so it begun. The great haul we called it. Dozens of wooden caskets, rock statues and other furniture were hauled from near the surface to the cathedral, buried under deep layers of rock. Whilst using some of the furniture left behind, all statues were customly designed by myself. As were the engravings. Images I myself comissioned: Me and Omer, Ganondwarf falling prey to the trolls, my father emerging victorious from battle. All things I personally witnessed. All happening under my rule.

I can not deny that I've improved the state of the fortress significantly. I've more-than-doubled our working population, constructed much necessary infrastructure, but most of all, appeased the gods. Still, I feel like I haven't done enough. Too many died under my rule. Men, women, even children. I shall forever bear the burden of their death. A heavy one, one I will always carry. It weighs down my soul, no matter how many divine entities try to lift it up. Never, shall they be forgotten.

Never, shall I forget.

The last strains of summer were quite uneventful. After clearing up the last of Skot's crew, we had half a month of respite. Still, instead of going outside, we continued work on the temple. The outside was finally open though, allowing for the burial of Ganondwarf.

A vivid photorapth is attached to the page, showing one of the engravers carrying Ganondwarf's corpse to his personal tomb, still under construction. One of six to lay in the personal tombs of the Church of Chaos, his resting place is a true privilege to have, as his soul will never fully be damned to purgatory as long as the temple stands.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still, the outside was unsafe, so I banned my forumites from going out by keeping the state of danger untouched. Of course, they would not listen. They never did.

About twenty days after the death of the last troll (not counting the trapped troll we are unable to haul inside), our first siege arrived.

A lone axemite, dissappearing as soon as it was spotted. How wonderful.

Our relief ended quickly, as another siege appeared.

Politicians had come.

Over a hundred of them, bringing small squadrons of trolls, too. A terrifying sight to behold. Yet, they seemed oblivious to our existence.

I knew they could easily climb over our perimeter, using the holes in the fortifications to climb up swiftly. Hoping it wouldn't get so far, I ordered the forumites inside at once, even though I had already forbidden them to go outside.

Yet they would not listen to my voice of reason.

Their personal gain was more important, as outside clean clothes laid draped on the freshly dead. Several went out, and most swiftly got in. Yet not all managed. And one I can not forgive.

Yung C4rv3r was his name. A child still, two years younger than me, he had managed to create a wooden artifact some time ago. It had earned him a lot of tunnel-cred, and his reputation was good. Yet after getting the shoes off of Ustuth, the Last Migrant's corpse, he decided to go and play make believe. Right on the roof of the fortess. Right where the politicians could see him.

I could not wait any longer. I ordered a barricade to be built at the entrance, this time out of stone. It would have to last a long time. Possibly until the end of winter, even. Using a phyllite block left from a failed construction ages ago, the wall was built. Locking out Yung C4rv3r, together with one of the many engravers.

It did not end well for them.

Now, two squads of politicians remain within our outer fortress. We can easily handle them, but I fear attracting the others. We must sit them out, after which we can make short work of them.

Photorapths accompany the notes once more

This time, I did not stream the event with my scrying powers for all to see. I watched it in the corner of my ridiculously large, drafty, damp, disgusting, non-smoothened bedroom (seriously, who the bollocks designed this room? This is absolute madness, I should've focused on improving these instead of building the cathedral, the Gods should be appeased by removing this eyesore from the face of the world!). Sniveling, even though the two that died refused to obey my orders multiple times. I had played plenty of time with Yung, and before his cred got to him, he was one of the nicest, most humble forumites out there. The engraver too, death because of an arrogant artifact-crafter. Such a senseless waste of life the slaughter was.

None knew Yung and the engraver had perished. So they ardently continued working, appeasing the gods. Progress was quick, and before many knew, the church looked finished. All the smoothing had been done. Remains had been buried, furniture hauled, personal engravings next to every grave.

It looked divine.

Yet it still lacked something.

Dismissing all workers to finally get some well earned rest, I thought of one more thing to add.

And so I started engraving.

GLORY
BE TO
LORD OMER

PRAISED
ARE HIS
RAINS

GLORY
BE TO
NECROTHREAT

CAST AWAY
OUR
PAINS

This text, I carved within the ground of the cathedral. Each letter accompanied by an animal. Ravens, eagles, deer: even foreign beasts only legends spoke about.
Finally, I felt Omer's hand on my shoulder.

He was proud.

I knew he would now aid us in all ways possible. To defeat the evil of Armok and Ur. To utilize bronze magics. To find the truth. The truth of Necrothreat. The reason of our lives.

Opening the next page of the book, you encounter an interesting sight: A three-dimensional photorapth, popping up from the page. It depicts the interior of a beautiful cathedral, which is still somewhat littered with the rubble of it being dug out of the rock.[/]

We feasted for days in the echoing cathedral, singing songs of war and peace. We ate ourselves merry, the taste of fresh courage wolf and plump helmets enlightening our mouths. Vats of forumitan wine were poured, enough to bathe each forumite in the fort. All were there, even the militia, now compromised of nothing but forumites masters in their weapons. Even Nox was a Grand Master Hammerman now, and swung the hammer better than he shot his infallible bolts.

I was finally more than just a zealot. I was a man that had finished his purpose. Only thirteen years old, I had constructed a beautiful building, even though we were plagued by hardship upon hardship. In the end, I proudly donned the white garb. I no longer needed to call myself "the Will of Omer". I was more than that. I was recognized. I was official. I was an archpriest.

I thrashed the simple name "Lemonpie", unbefitting for my stature. "Lord Lemonpie" I would be called. Much more regal. I in no way attested the throne of the forumites, only the altar of the gods. Lord Lemonpie. Archpriest of Omer. What pride it brought us.

And our fort was not the only to celebrate, apparently. Some days after donning the garb, I noticed another being had appeared in our fort's territory.

A wise scholar had traveled far, visiting the fort amidst the siege. Omer told me he had followed a bright star, placed within the heavens to celebrate my ascension. Visitors were not rare, as some popped up occasionally. Yet none managed to survive for long, being either killed by invaders or denied access to the fort. The spearman, for example. But this scholar was odd. I do not know what magics he used, or if he simple was lucky. But he stayed put, and the politicians ignored him. He still stands across the Crystal Brook this day, looking into the distance. Waiting for the fort to open up. I can not wait to hear the words of wisdom he undoubtedly brings.

And so, Timber, the last month of my predicted rule, began. I spent most of the time praying to Omer, begging for his wisdom and his aid, even if I were to lose my power.

Still, the fortress did not idle as I did.

Firstly, one of the planters, a legendary grower named Fath, began gathering the resources for a beautiful masonic work. He now only needs cut gems, something which I have already ordered to be made. If only we had a forumite to immediately follow my commands.

Secondly, a forgotten beast appeared. A giant blob of snow, I knew the militia would be able to make quick work of it. And they did, as Apiks killed it with a blow of his hand. It shattered in two, shrieking, as it melted into a white slurry. It seems like Apiks is a wonderful fighter, possibly even a fighter fit to lead the fortress after my fall. We would see.

A series of photorapths depicting the last month of Lemonpie's rule accompany the notes, beautiful renditions of the happenings.

As I looked up from prayer, I heared an eerie voice.
The voice of Armok himself.
Joyfully telling me:

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 20, 2017, 04:50:32 pm »

That inscription is the cleverest thing I've seen in a long time. Engraving animals to use as letters? Genius! And it's even symmetrical!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 20, 2017, 04:55:37 pm »

I just noticed those letters. That was a great update. How are the politicians working out, balance-wise?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 20, 2017, 04:58:14 pm »

Immediately, I felt something churning within me. Something that wasn't... me. An entity. Yet it hadn't just wandered inside me. No. It had been there for some time. And it seemed like it was coming out.

I could feel it squirm, ripping loose from the fabric of my being. The painless sensation nauseated me. I started retching, my entire body convulsing on the cathedrals floor. Lights flashed before my eyes, showing me a single image. A bar, progressing.

The physical manifestation of our pantheon had come to watch me thresh. I felt all of them, looking. As I looked up, I saw Omer, clad in golden robes of pure light. He looked as if he pitied me. In his eyes, I could see he knew this moment would come. I reached out for him, my hand trying to grab his robe. Hoping for salvation. Yet he merely stepped back a bit, still looking with eyes full of empathy. I could even feel Afer and Masea shift their attention to me, wondering what was about to conspire.

It broke lose.

I vomited.

But no fluids came out, to my surprise.

A living creature came out of me. Or an entity, I should say. It was obviously ethereal, like the gods around us. Yet it was weak. Pitifully so. The size and shape of a toad, its colours flashing, ever changing, like a rainbow. It kept spinning its head around, as if unable to keep still.

Then I understood.

The gift to see the gods was never innately in me. The creature granted that power to my, by merging his being with mine. For the lowest peasant could still communicate with a king, unlike a human and his god. It was the creature that had allowed everything I did to happen. It was the creature that made me notice spirits, beings unseen to others.

And now the creature had left me.

It turned around, looking at the wall of the fortress.

Then it jumped.

The results were spectacular, a burst of rainbow-colored light strongly emitting from the location where it touched the wall. A portal. But not to this world. Not to this time.

I seized. Apparently for hours. When I woke, surrounded by my concerned forumites, I could not see any of the Gods, any of the entities. Omer wasn't there. Thukkan wasn't there. Idräth wasn't there. Even Armok's everlasting, malicious presence I could not feel. I had lost my gift. Maybe I could still contact the gods, like the regular priests and wizards. Using spells, books, rituals even. Yet it wouldn't be fast. It wouldn't be effective.

It wouldn't be the same.

I was no longer able to lead the fortress, obviously. So I did what any reasonable man would do. I called upon all dwarves of the fortress.
And I politely asked them whom would take my place.

Blessed Save, treat carefully.
I hope it works, never upped a save before but it should. Still got the files though if it doesn't.

That inscription is the cleverest thing I've seen in a long time. Engraving animals to use as letters? Genius! And it's even symmetrical!
I'm glad you like it! I really wanted to clear the rubble of it but my dwarves would not haul a single boulder, so it has to remain as it is, for now.
The idea came to me when I placed some custom engravings of fights and they turned into the letter depicting one of the participants.

I just noticed those letters. That was a great update. How are the politicians working out, balance-wise?
Haven't had the chance to properly fight them, just locked up everything and cowered in fear. I think they're similar to regular goblins in strength though, maybe even weaker.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 20, 2017, 05:03:43 pm »

Haven't had the chance to properly fight them, just locked up everything and cowered in fear. I think they're similar to regular goblins in strength though, maybe even weaker.

Thanks. That sounds about right.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 202