Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505557 times)

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 04:50:27 pm »

Sadly this will likely be the last time the lord high threadromancer BFEL will reviving a Necrothreat for now.

Why is that? And is this the final official Necrothreat, or only the last one involving BFEL?

This may be the final Necrothreat he revives as lord high threadromancer due to being unavailable in the foreseeable future for such undertakings.

Necrothreat IV is not the final official Necrothreat. It is, however, one that is not directly related to the previous three, rather indirectly, as the story progresses you'll find out more.

For those of you who want to be Overseers and maybe have been so before, please check out the revised ruleset. Most notably Rule number 10 has been revised and is now mandatory due to the lack of information Necrothreat III had for spectators and future overseers.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 04:57:15 pm »

Hm, so you're sticking around in the same world?

It can be rather hard to find what happened to a fort when you're stationary, so will this thing use multiple forts or adventurers to search for the ruins?

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2016, 04:58:57 pm »

“Seven forumites founded Necrothreat to protect the world against the undead menace.
They fought and defended. Many died, but the world was kept safe.
Necrothreat flourished while under constant siege, the first and last line of defense.

The greatest and most knowledgeable of us lived during that time.
Yet that was not enough.
When the Dark Lord Ur came to lead his forces himself and sow chaos in our ranks, Necrothreat became no more.

Armok’s sorrow for the heroes of Necrothreat reshaped the world and brought them back a second time.
But that was a lie. The forumites were brought back not to protect the world, but to be Armok’s minions.
Ur renewed his assault on the fair world, coming face to face with the protectors of Necrothreat once more.
After a valiant battle, all but three of the guardians perished to his forces again.

Ur’s dominion was not the only thing moving things. Armok had forced a forumite to become his minion.
An abomination they called him, yet he led Necrothreat to glory more than once.
And then that same abomination did the unthinkable. He broke free from Armok’s shackles.

Necrothreat was severely punished as a result of his actions. But something even more unbelievable happened.
Armok was vanquished by the combined forces of two of the guardians and the abomination.
The cost of that feat was shrouding the world in fire.
It is so that the abomination came to join the ranks of the guardians.

One of the guardians knew that what they had was not enough.
The Dark Lord Ur had stripped the dead guardians of the right of death and imprisoned their souls in limbo.
The guardian went into the realm of the unliving, sired an army of the dead guardians and led a charge to the tower of Ur.

The seat of his power.
In the end we came out on top. Ur was dead.
The dead he had entrapped were released, some finding their way back to the living. The day was won.

We thought that to be the end. What else could have we thought. Armok was conquered and Ur was dead.
Our mission still existed to protect the world from his spawn, yet the greater evil and a god had been defeated.
Oh, how wrong we were.

From the bellows of the earth came a new enemy. At first we cheered as they devoured the undead, thinking them specialized fighters on our side.
Then they came at us in numbers from the belly of our own home.
And then we died. Necrothreat had become no more again.

But we had achieved power.
Two of the guardians warped the very fabric of space and time to bring us to the past. A time when all was still right with the world.
Armok and Ur were still gone. They could not transcend the laws of the universe. At least that’s what we thought of their absence.

And still yet that was not enough to thwart the end.
Many of the old guardians could not be brought back.
New guardians were sired, however it appeared the undead only grew in power instead.
The new guardians tried to control the fiends of the underground.

And they succeeded. We were still alive, the undead kept at bay.
But the fortress was no longer our own.
A slow reclaim had begun and success started to be seen.
But the death of the folk put sin in us.

What else was I supposed to do afterwards? I refused to let him force us to continue this agony.
I tried stopping him. I thought I succeeded, but his accursed wisdom let him mimic my new power..
What else was I supposed to do? We deserved to finally find peace…

Ours is not a story
of Greatness and Sadness,
of Tragedy and Glory,
of Forumites and Necrothreaders,
but a story of our torment.”

~Sprin

Chapter IV of the Necrothreat Chronicles

“What the blazes is this? How in the world is this supposed to help us in the defense? It’s just the ramblings of a madman.” said a female forumite bearing a large crisscrossed scar on her cheek.

“The ramblings of one the very guardians that were sworn to protect us. Do you not realize this could be a crucial clue in finding them?” retorted a puffy looking forumite sitting at a desk, surrounded by books. “Something happened at the end. If we figure out what it is we could possibly bring them back to help us!”

“Again with your folk tales. The guardians of Necrothreat of old are gone. They suddenly disappeared and that was centuries ago. All you can bring back is their bones. Why am I telling you this, you should know about it better than I. Aren’t there dozens of these writings, all slightly different anyways?”

The room darkened slightly as the last vestiges of light outside died off only to be replaced with the incandescent light of candles. The air was stale with dust and rows of bookshelves lined the wall, seemingly wrapped in countless tomes and scripts.

“You know full well we have no chance of winning against the undead without a miracle, Overseer. And this is it. They stopped them before, they can stop them here and now again. And in these scripts we might be able to glean a clue. We sacrificed two fortresses and almost a dozen more villages to keep the knowledge safe and undead at bay. You can’t tell me you’re getting cold feet now.”

Weary, the woman pulled a chair and dropped into it, her leather stretching being the only sound in the room in the moment before she sat. The chair creaked as her full weight came down on it.

“I know, I know. I just worry not only about the future of our people, but of all living beings. I’m tired of having to constantly move aboveground under the sky, and now you tell me we have to place our hopes in a legend. A myth used to give hope to our children during the night.” A silence stretched between them, seeming endless as the quiet cool night air rolled in. “Have you learned anything that can help us?”

The younger forumite furrowed his significant brows in concentration, trying to decide what exactly to say. “Kind of.” His lips puckered a bit before deciding it worth to tell. “Most of the records are very vague, but this one has a very old map. It is of a foreign world that looks very close to ours. The legends speak of the guardians protecting us not only in this world, but in other similar ones. This specific record is interesting because on the map is marked a location with a word on top. “Fissure” it is named. A fissure to what though? Regardless this is highly irregular in the records I’ve so far read. I think it worth to check out.”

“You want me to sacrifice what meager troops we have l-“ interrupted, the door burst open and a forumite fell to his knees, gasping for breath.

“Overseer.” He took a few more breaths “Overseer.”

The female forumite was already on her feet, helping the one on his knees to do the same. “Speak up, man! What is it? Have the undead been sighted or have one of Armok’s abominations come to haunt us?”

A few dozen of seconds later, the messenger’s breath stabilized so that he wasn’t gasping for air constantly and he could form proper sentences. “Worse. Much worse. Armok and Ur have formed an alliance. They have sent us an ultimatum. Either we kill ourselves or they will do it. They gather forces as we speak.”

The bookish forumite started rocking in his chair, his eyes now closed, repeating the same word over and over quietly with his hands over his mouth. Suddenly he fell still, arms falling to his side. A moment later his eyes were wide open, his feet now standing and a shout pierced the air.

“BOLLOCKS!”
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:23:00 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 06:52:33 pm »

Bollocks indeed. Talonis requesting a...dorf? forumite? when possible. Preferably a crafter or engraver of some kind so I have an excuse to draw stuff.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »

Ah, this should be good.

Erin Quill, magitechnician, at your service, sires. I know magic science and science magic. Any possibility that I could traps?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May I please have a forumite made for me? Name: Erin Quill; profession: traplord. If at all possible, I want the front door decorated with the corpses of the twice-dead, and I don't want us to have to put them there.  :D
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2016, 08:38:58 pm »

I'm impressed. Even as someone not completely familiar with Necrothreat, it is tense and beautiful and gripping.

Though plot-wise, I thought Armok at least initially held greater power, creating and discarding worlds at whimsy. So for this message to happen..Well, lots of possibilities.

(And oh, are the characters right, I'm internally giggling at the idea of Sprin writing anything so eloquent and grammatically correct.)

Though possibly more amusingly, the name Ur - what springs to mind is the purple walking, freezing, unstoppable two-eyed boulder-mountain from Muumi. Though it was plenty of scary to imagine facing at the time I watched it.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 12:00:53 am »

Speaking of errors...
The chair creaked as her full weight came down on it.”
Search for this line and remove the quote hanging off the end. That shouldn't be there. 

Let's hope this goes well.

EDIT: Grammar
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 03:52:15 am »

Arx the Confused is back, and he still has no idea what's going on. I'm on holiday until around March, so sign me up please!

And requesting forumiting as someone with a spear if we have one. Or a mason, failing that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 05:08:46 am »

I'm very happy with the new emphasis on plot!

Nice writing, by the way. Very suspenseful.

May I please have a forumite made for me? Name: Erin Quill; profession: traplord. If at all possible, I want the front door decorated with the corpses of the twice-dead, and I don't want us to have to put them there.  :D

You, sir, are going to fit in nicely.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 06:00:35 am »

I'm impressed. Even as someone not completely familiar with Necrothreat, it is tense and beautiful and gripping.

Though plot-wise, I thought Armok at least initially held greater power, creating and discarding worlds at whimsy. So for this message to happen..Well, lots of possibilities.

(And oh, are the characters right, I'm internally giggling at the idea of Sprin writing anything so eloquent and grammatically correct.)

Though possibly more amusingly, the name Ur - what springs to mind is the purple walking, freezing, unstoppable two-eyed boulder-mountain from Muumi. Though it was plenty of scary to imagine facing at the time I watched it.

Necrothreat II was the pinnacle of our lore, if you wish to check that out. Everything in the record written by Sprin in the intro is a part of the Necrothreats of the past, the record merely being a shortened version to catch everybody up to speed to the story.

Armok in the Necrothreat universe is not omnipotent or omniscient, just no way to make that work in the story otherwise. He is, however, a very powerful being whose motivations are unknown, but usually "blood" is the naturally assumed motive. But since, well, we kinda screwed both Ur and Armok in Necrothreat II, they're probably pretty damn pissed right now and that could be the reason for their alliance. The utter destruction of the forumitian race, though is that all?

The character's definitely Sprin. It's a reference to the ending of Necrothreat III where Sprin is seen to be the most lucid and sane he ever was in the entire history of the fortresses. Just think of this writing as part of his few moments of sanity. Same old madman otherwise.

We did not create the name Ur. The game did it for us when an undead head got stuck on our battlements and pretty much singlehandendly destroyed Necrothreat I. That head's name is Ur, and so his legend spawned.

Speaking of errors...
The chair creaked as her full weight came down on it.”
Search for this line and remove the quote hanging off the end. That shouldn't be there. 

Let's hope this goes well.

EDIT: Grammar

I can't believe I missed that! You have my thanks, Carefulrogue!

The Embarks should be posted soon. Everybody in the thread will have the right of vote between three embark sites. All of them will be next to a necro tower.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2016, 06:49:22 am »

Well, bollocks...

(add me to the list pls)

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 07:05:18 am »

What happened ? :o
I'll try to figure that out following this thread.
PTW :D
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

aDwarfNamedUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 07:47:14 am »

PTW
Long Live The !!sand pear wood throne!!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 08:16:59 am »

I want a turn. Where it goes does not matter, but a turn is required.
Also I want a dorf. A hammerdwarf, becoming the hammerer eventually. This fort shall stand.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 08:20:47 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2016, 08:34:36 am »

Here are the embark sites, folks. This world was surprisingly devoid of towers.

Embark Site #1
Embark Site #1 Neighbours

Embark Site #2
Embark Site #2 Neighbours

Embark Site #3
Embark Site #3 Neighbours

As is usual, everybody gets a single vote for one of the Embark sites. I, Apiks, am excluded from the voting process and do not have the right to vote, though I may voice my opinion (which is that I hate acquifers.)

In the case that none of the Embark sites are favored or generally disliked, a new world will be generated.

Story-wise, this is the world a few centuries after the world of Necrothreat III. Just imagine it is the same one, it doesn't actually need to look the same. Whereas the previous one was 250 years in, this one is 550 in for the first time ever in Necrothreat history.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:35:09 am by apiks »
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 202