Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505559 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2017, 09:38:51 pm »

- Are you going to raise the fortifications to the top of sky?

- Quill is interesting influence. Probably can be weaponized. What's one more pet?

- Hm, I see. Because of the tree, 4mask can't climb down.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:00 am »

I AM FLAME, GOD OF WOOD
You should probably be careful where you say that, though. People kind of look at you funny when you announce you're a god. Of course, then you have an excuse to smite them. :)
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2017, 01:44:54 pm »

Well, if you count other forts, I am the Voidgod of Murdermachines.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2017, 04:36:42 pm »

Don't remind me.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 10, 2017, 06:04:59 pm »

Was my change to the raws added? Thanks.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2017, 07:17:54 pm »

Don't remind me.
Hey, that wasn't my fault. In fact, I saved you when I killed Terry's mortal form.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2017, 08:34:30 pm »

Bad influence? Hardly! I just gave him some prototypes to take home with him for alpha testing.

I've been away on vacation for a while. Glad to see that Erin is still causing unscientific spectacles, all with the vague but underlying threat of exploding.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2017, 01:41:32 am »

Tgrer will be blood and death before the end. And flame is definately a god.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 14, 2017, 07:31:10 pm »

- Are you going to raise the fortifications to the top of sky?

- Quill is interesting influence. Probably can be weaponized. What's one more pet?

- Hm, I see. Because of the tree, 4mask can't climb down.
Nope, sorry! Only a few z levels. At most I think we have three Zs.

The darndest thing is that 4mask could climb down, but instead decided to sit there, a silent butcher brooding on a windy wall with his pet duckling, whilst below him in the fortress plots unfurl...

Sorry for late reply. As of now, they have been.

----

26th Hematite
More migrants have arrived, amongst them a rather reserved individual. His name is Ruhn, and he arrives carrying a crossbow in his arms as tenderly as if it were a baby. He walks slightly apart from the others of the group, but his aspect seems pleasant, and more importantly I notice the ease with which he carries his crossbow. Tsiru left some notes in his rooms which I have been going through, and I remember a passage from “The Flames of Death and Glory: A Tale of Necrothreat” which claimed the Forumites of old used to have ranged units to back up the melee in battle. Apparently they provided vital defensive advantages. It is with this in mind that I create Ruhn's Bolts, a new ranged unit of our military. May Armok and Ur grow weak at the sight of them. The days of Necrothreat and the Guardians may be dead and over, but there are still people alive in this new venture of ours, and they need defending. If more people saw that instead of focusing on bringing back to life that which is dead, the problem may not be as severe as it now is….
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

27th Hematite
I have just seen to getting Ruhn settled in as head of his new unit. There is a reason he was standing so far from the rest of the group – apparently he's not very social, though he talks to me normally. Women, it seems, are not so fortunate….and his entire squad is composed of them. Well, bollocks. Or, perhaps more accurately, no bollocks.

Despite this, he manages his task admirably, and his skill with the crossbow is undeniable. If he stutters when he orders the girls about, well, at least it keeps up morale. I've never seen a more giggly military unit. To complicate matters, when he met Apiks (who is supposed to be his superior) he took one look at the blood-covered woman bearing down on him and became nearly catatonic. Perhaps I can make this a reason to separate the crossbow troops from Apiks' command…. Given the strong words which Apiks directed at Ruhn, it wouldn't be difficult to convince him to separate. This requires thought – I am not yet sure if Apiks needs to be worked against. After all, she gave me power in the first place, however surprisingly.

16th Malachite

Erin Quill and Imic have been sparring with each other, and so now the walking disaster of magic and science has an outlet for his pent up physical energy. Wrestling. Well, each to their own.

27th Galena
The Mountain Homes had flowing balls, great parties in the matchless rooms of Office. The Miner's Division was even once given leave to party in the throne room itself beneath the benevolent gaze of our (admittedly drunk) monarch, in respect for their long service, and to honour the traditions of our people. Here, the grimy dining room is hung with mouldy red-tinged blankets to celebrate the coming of age ceremony for….a duck. 4Maskwolf, you shouldn't have. Really. You shouldn't have.

13th Limestone

It is with hope that I look outwards to the dusty cloud rising on the horizon. A caravan from the Mountain Homes has made the laborious journey to visit us and provide much-needed supplies. As it gets ever closer, my impatience gets sharper and sharper, and I pace on my newly-made walls. I know the news lately has been good from the Mountain Home, but that doesn't stop me from worrying. Apiks is already waiting at the depot to meet the visiting traders, coldly calm and confident of the news to come, but I can not reflect her composure. Odd, Arx has been with her less and less lately.

For good or ill, the caravan comes.

Trundling through the gates, I hear the sounds of home. Cursing wagon drivers, scowling Forumite guards. The smell of ale and wine, the braying of donkeys. Oh yes, it brings back memories. A happier time, a time of art and beauty. Into the wooden, filthy depot they go, their faces showing their disgust at their temporary lodgings. I try to feel anger at their scorning attitude, but my pride in this place has never been high. If not for Apiks' interference, I may just have gone home, no matter the undead presence in the Mountains. The greenery has come closer to the walls, I notice as I turn to go down stairs and greet the proxy named Udib. Time to send out some more harvesters.

Apiks is already there, talking of this and that, and I feel a brief stab of annoyance, quickly pushed down. No matter that this is not the place of a military commander. No matter. Still, a stubborn spark has been ignited within my notoriously mule-like heart. No longer caring what these blatantly contemptuous traders think, I jump straight into my greeting. “Ah, I see you've met Apiks here. I'm the overseer, the miner-made-master.”

A short Forumitette trader sniffs, tossing her long braids out of her face. “Overseer? You are no overseer. This Forumite is – she even said so.” Apiks raises her eyebrows in surprise, but does not deny the claim. My jaw clenches. “Besides, you don't even look strong enough to mine,” she adds.

Somewhat surprised by this attack, I reply sharply. “Just because I don't dig you doesn't mean I can't dig rock. It's only slightly less dense than your brain, but it's enough to make it manageable.” I cringe at my forlorn attempt at a come back, but continue on. I notice a small crowd has gathered by this time, Ruhn watching with anxious eyes as the women square up to me, Quill seemingly making… a flag out of white smoke billowing from his pockets. He hurriedly seals his pocket and begins tinkering with a small thrumming machine stitched to the inside of his coat, but I note his sly smile. A white flag. I snort. Very funny. Meanwhile, the trader looks affronted and seems on the point of ignoring me again. This is the crossroads of my career, I realise. As does Apiks, judging from her smirk. If I let this conversation slip, I am second to the “overseer” Apiks. But if I take control….

Letting my voice lash out like a whip, I put my workman's strong voice to good use and note with pleasure the few traders who jump. “This is the site of Necrothreat. A friend of mine, Tsiru…” did Apiks flinch slightly? “….taught me a good deal about it. Here, the people stood against oppression. Here, we were protected, albeit briefly, from the forces of the coming darkness. Here the best of us were bred and given hammer or sword, axe or spear. But it was none of these that ruled those golden halls of myth. Where spears broke, axes grew dull, hammers shattered and swords fell from limp fingers, one thing remained constant. The Miner's Pick, the symbol of rule.” My hand significantly caresses the one hanging from my waist. “Do you dare come into the land of Necrothreat and denounce the bearer of the pick? Do you have the gall?”

The traders look at each other uncertainly, but in the end, however reluctantly, the old tales win through, and an annoyed looking Udib resumes his conversation. With me, not Apiks. Radiating cold fury, she breaks from our group and returns to the Halls. Arx slips like a shadow from the surrounding crowd and joins her, gesticulating and apparently arguing, then falling into step beside her, face a thundercloud. How interesting.

“What news from the Mountain Homes?”

I stare with shock at this dispassionately given news. Just when we were doing so well….a Monster overruns Dikemeshes. Another bastion gone. The Monster of Knights…. A creature of Ur or Armok? Remembering Apiks' interest in this proxy's news, I feel like I may know.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 14, 2017, 07:43:59 pm »

Nice plot twist at the end.

Sorry for late reply. As of now, they have been.

I'm glad the change has been made, I hope it leads to a thalassic classic.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 09:37:30 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2017, 02:45:27 am »

So my authority was ruined... using the authority of the pick... which was the authority I wielded in previous Necrothreats.

Classic.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 15, 2017, 03:45:32 am »

I feel like I'm going to have to do some reading to understand the nuances of the lore here...

Also, did I ever come down from the wall?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 15, 2017, 09:12:27 am »

Thankfully you were only on a very long break. You did come down.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 15, 2017, 02:28:06 pm »

Interesting bit of lore, made even more interesting due Apik's previous bearing of the pitchblende* hat without bearing a pick.

Of course, the players are partial to miners in starting forts; they give the cornerstone to any industry, lest one builds on topsoil.

Though the words of protecting the civilians...Are quite possibly of military mind, even if a well-dug tunnel can go a long way. I wonder, will the current overseer retire into military with their pick, to dig brains, when the time comes?

* As evidenced by the growing insanity of her, which wouldn't happen with a rutile one - somebody must have switched the two. But who would possibly want to do such thing? A miner would surely have noticed, knowing the rock better....

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 16, 2017, 05:07:19 pm »

20th Sandstone
The people seem to finally accept me. First, they disrespected me – I was not Apiks or Tsiru. Then, they resented me – I made them work, madly they thought, to build walls of wood and pave the floor with still-oozing planks. Now, they have seen me evoke the spirit of a long dead fortress, and…. It gave them purpose. Morale. I am beginning to think that my initial distaste for our purpose here was not well founded, for it unites people. We need unity.

It is with thoughts such as these buoying me up that I left my office (mined by myself, not many can say the same!) to walk the halls. As I was passing an intersection near the storage room, I heard a strange, sibilant noise and decided to investigate - huddled amongst the crates and other detritus of the Fortress, a solitary Forumite sat rocking back and forth, muttering under his breath “No…. I won't…Maybe… But I don't have…. Alright. Alright. Fire consumes all. Fire consumes all.”
Leaping to his feet, the Forumite rushed past the stunned me without even a glance in my direction, and busied himself in an old and abandoned workstation. Rusty hammers pounded, old fires reignited, and the smell of noxious fumes filled the air – it is at this point I tried to intercede, marching up to him and attempting to talk him away from the workstation. To my best pleas, his only reply was “The Bloody One wants it…. The Bloody One wants it.” It was then that he started to incant strange formulas and hold up…. A bag of bones? Whether I was rendered paralysed through dark means or terror, I do not know – the fact remains that I could not move until the work was completed to the sound of mad cackling and a hasty-but-expert turn with the file, doused in blood, and placed with reverent fingers on a nearby bench, light gleaming off its many bloody spikes.

The Worksforumite blinked“Em….what am I doing here? Huh…. Oh yea… Quill…. must have been having one of those strange visions Quill is trying to induce in people. Better go tell him his method worked….Dream catchers made dream givers... Good day overseer” then left, leaving me standing, confused and afraid, looking at an object gleaming white then maroon on the innocuous-looking bench. Why did I feel such fear? Why was my head spinning? Why was I hearing voices in my head?

With a start, I realised the voices were coming down the hallway towards me, not in my head, and leapt behind some nearby crates. Just in time. Arx stormed into the room seconds later and made for the strange object, which I now realise is a...crown. A Crown of Bone.

His face was a terror to behold, and his hand was on his spear, white with tension. He was carrying a shield, and had even shaved some of his beard off. It made him…. More formidable looking, if that were possible. Hiding behind my crates, I breathed the dust in silently as Apiks strode into the room, robes swishing behind her. Calmy, she said “Stop.”

Arx hesitated, then raised his spear, using both arms to bring it down on the eerie crown before him…..and was stopped, with a gasp, by Apiks' arm quickly fending off the blow, wood hitting flesh and bouncing off. Arx looked stunned, but Apiks merely pushed him aside and picked up the crown – her fingers were trembling, I noticed, and her face flashed from euphoria to terror. Placing the crown on her head, euphoria won out and she sighed, head falling back.

“You should not have done this,” Arx grated in a furious tone. “The visions may have abated...Armok's hold may have left you. Go to Quill, he might be able to....”

A deep voice replied, booming in the narrow space. “Choose, Arx of the Spear. Choose between Blood and Death. Choose.”

Arx looked through Apiks to the thing controlling her, then spat out “Never. I choose life. I choose Necrothreat, and my love.” He then turned on his heel and left, leaving me alone with Apiks….whose chilling laughter began to fill the room. The reverbations bounced around the chamber, bounced off the high spikes of the Crown of Bone, and mixed with words of jubilation “I am the wearer of the crown. I am more than overseer, now – I have a symbol of rule!”

---

Okay, that's my time up according to the rules, I believe. I'll finish my write up, but the next person has to have a crack now. Post the savegame in a bit- my ending, by the way, will be tailored to Sprin taking control, so be circumspect :P
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 05:17:58 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 202