Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 514833 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #2880 on: November 29, 2018, 03:53:27 pm »

You think I can't save this fort from certain oblivion? I'll do it. I did it in the last Necrothreat and I'll do it in this one.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: November 29, 2018, 04:00:00 pm »

No, not to spoiler it too much, but it has already met oblivion.

I'm sure if there's sufficient support we could go back to an older save, though? I think I might have one pre-oblivion on my laptop.

It would mean me scrapping my write up as it stands, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: November 30, 2018, 10:07:33 am »

We’ll need to have Necrothreat V at some point.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: November 30, 2018, 12:32:51 pm »

I'd appreciate both a natural ending and the chance to show off all the new mod stuff.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: November 30, 2018, 04:35:50 pm »

That's fine then.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: December 01, 2018, 02:33:40 am »

I think even ignoring my turn and Dwarfy’s turn, we’d still inevitably hit the tantrum spiral. The bears roaming uncontrolled is bad enough, and to go too far means we retcon almost 6 months of work
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: December 11, 2018, 04:36:15 pm »

I was going to write more before posting this, but I figure I've waited too long as it is. I apologise for the lack of images. I've misplaced the file I had them in. When I find it, I'll edit them in.

XXX

Need I speak of the love that drives a Forumite through life? The hope, the joy that cherished ones bring? Brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers. In truth, they are often at odds – fights and quarrels and misunderstandings abound. But in deeper truth, they are family. Love drives and sustains them.

In truth, I was not Lemonpie’s father. I was not even his mother, though this body I wear bore him. However a deeper truth said otherwise, and it was this which I ignored. I saw him in his ceremonial robes, communing with the gods, and did I feel pride? Reader! Do not ask. For it is pain beyond measure to recount.

Aye, I plotted his downfall. I heard him singing like the sea in his chains and could not bear it. Blood is thicker than water. Water is weaker than blood.

I felt lonely.

In the end, it was not my spear which ended him. I do not know whose did; those who would tell me are depraved, now. As I speak the tantrums spiral deeper, and madness seems to have become an entity in its own right.

And now the song is gone, the chains are empty, and I am still alone.

XXX

Apiks crept into the chamber, built secretly on the highest level of the Necrothreat Fortress. Th4DwArfY1 was a fool if he thought Apiks would remain ignorant – the workers had come back to the fortress, their hands stained with brick dust. Many had talked.

The miner was not a popular overseer, and the workers – always his strongest supporters – were beginning to turn towards their King instead.

The chamber was dim, with a low ceiling. Apiks dug deep in voluminous pockets and brushed aside the gizmos of Erin gathered there. The man had been a genius, and no doubt they would have their uses… but it was light he needed now, and the Forumite had not thought to make a device providing that.

Such was the cost of intellect. A dulling of practical sense.

Finally, he found what he was looking for. The thorax bones of fireflies.

He threw these into the chamber and concentrated. Light, dull but present, bloomed in a dozen soft flowers, and the King gasped.

Gamers. Some undead. And trolls. Dozens of trolls.

What madness was this?

He had not realised he spoke aloud until a voice answered, echoing dimly in the soft twilight.

“Do not worry, my King. They are all caged. No harm to you.” Th4DwArfY1 stood by the drawbridge which led into the chamber, his squad arrayed motionless behind him.

“Yet,” he continued, an ominous grin twisting his soft feminine features. His hand, Apiks noted, was caressing a nearby lever which – bloody thrice cursed fool! – he had somehow missed on the way in. It was linked to the entrance’s bridge, he was sure. Once pulled, he would be a prisoner for ever, until he lost his grip on sanity and clawed at the walls, clawed until his hands were broken and bloody ruins of themselves, until madness howled from his mouth in a torrent of Sprin-like obscenity and he fell, weeping, never to rise again.

Such were his thoughts, and the Forumite who had never feared the dark before felt a twinge – quickly beaten down – of fear.

“You would not,” he replied, voice rougher than he would have liked. “You would not,” he said again, stronger this time. “For I am the King, and though that is your squad, still I hold power over them.” He raised his Chainsaw, which since the Crown broke had become the symbol of his power, and shouted “soldiers of Necrothreat! Brothers in arms! You know me. I have bled with you. My chainsaw has always worked to keep you alive, to overthrow the power of the gods, to bring back the glory of Necrothreat past. What can Th4DwArfY1 promise you but death? I offer sacrifice and pain and life.

Th4DwArfY1 half looked behind, though he needn’t have bothered, for his men were as resolute as before. They stood like painted toys.

In that moment, Apiks plunged his hand into his pocket and drew out a mechanical bat. It flew from his hand and faded, unnoticed by everyone but the King, into the darkness of the night.

When Dwarfy turned again it was with a sneer.

“Nice try, Highness” he said with biting mockery. “These Forumites have pledged their honour to me many times and are loyal to the very core of their beings. You have clashed with them in the past. Your trickery will not sway them.”

He reached once more for the lever, and Apiks pulled his chainsaw into roaring life. “Wait!” he bellowed, and Dwarfy flinched slightly.

Good. He fears me still, Apiks thought.

“Wait. What of the war, Dwarfy? What of the gods on their thrones of terror and murder? What of the victims? What” here, Apiks’ eyes took on a calculating gleam “of Jenny?”

Th4DwArfY1 froze, and his face twisted into a terrible visage of pain and torture. “Do. Not. Mention. Her. Name.” He took a lurching step forward, now showing nothing but a pure and terrible fury. Apiks, imagining he could feel the heat of It, took an involuntary step backwards.

Froth started to bubble in the corners of his adversary’s mouth and he began rambling, fists clenched.

“You who bound me to this body, who took her and threw her into the dark, who taught the passion of love to die, who found my crippled spirit and moulded it. Into. Something. New. Something hateful and good and hard to influence, something you should not have meddled in.

“King of Bones. King of Life and Death. King of Necrothreat.

“IDLE BUILDER OF CRUELTY AND BASELESS DREAMS. PERVERTED MIDGET WORMING IN THE DARKNESS OF PAST GLORIES.

“ROT. IN. THIS. PIT.”

The gleam of madness shone in his eyes like a beacon, and Apiks felt once more the unwelcome pang of fear. As well as something else, something very like pity and shame. Once more he crushed these down, knowing that in the end, his cause was just.

Why could no one ever see that?

Th4DwArfY1’s hand flew towards the lever, started to push, and… was stopped. A mechanical bat came screaming out of the darkness with a screech of fury and sank needle-teeth into Dwarfy’s hand. The overseer shouted, still enraged, and tried to shake it off. The bat’s teeth broke in the Forumite’s flesh and the creature fell over the side of Necrothreat, into the inky black below.

At the same time, Apiks saw a light blossom behind the squad of Dwarfy’s men. A blue light.

Highmax, Apiks thought with relief. He had not called the ex-Guardian, but if he had come, then…

“What passes here?” Yes. Rogue, and beside him Highmax, came into view. The other Forumites split like the sea until Apiks could see that they came with all the strength of Necrothreat’s army.

His call, borne on the wings of a bat, had been heard. And answered. The King of Necrothreat bowed his head with relief.

“Justice,” Dwarfy snarled in reply. He seemed slightly more in control, but his hand fell on the lever nonetheless. With a clunk, it hit the ground and the inner workings of the mechanism began to grind into action.

“No!” shouted Rogue, before moving forward in a blinding race of speed. Too late.

Apiks saw the anguished face of the closest thing he had to a friend, and then, with a heavy clunk, he was sealed in his tomb. The only light came from the rapidly fading firefly thoraxes, and his breathing sounded loud in the enclosed space.

Outside, he could hear a great and loud argument, a clunk, and the grinding of more mechanisms. Relief flooded him once more at this sign of release. Even a maddened overseer and his squad could not withstand the army. His army, despite the small mutiny of a single squad. A fighting machine like no other, chainsaws polished and shining, the fate of Necrothreat riding on their…

The mechanisms stopped grinding, but the bridge did not lower.

Instead, the cages opened. Every single one of them.

A tide of enemies rushed him from all sides.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:38:06 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: December 11, 2018, 05:01:35 pm »

Oooh, I can't wait!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: December 12, 2018, 10:45:04 am »

Considering I made Morul loyal to Apiks, this isn’t going to end well even if you exclude the hordes of enemies

I smell a small scale civil war if we survive this onslaught
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: December 12, 2018, 03:12:16 pm »

But is the Lincoln Memorial ok???
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: December 12, 2018, 07:03:35 pm »

The Lincoln Memorial remains standing. I'd actually forgotten about it, though it's quite amusing. What's its history again? Might include it in the next write up
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: December 12, 2018, 08:13:31 pm »

I made it back on my turn for fun. I think Apiks or somebody else was locked in there for a while. Around that time, it was linked to the rooms next to it.

*Yes, it was Apiks who was imprisoned there. I think that's the only major event to happen in the Memorial.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:15:13 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: December 13, 2018, 04:57:24 am »

Is this where we rename it to the Apiks Memorial
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: January 15, 2019, 07:24:34 pm »

So, this was going to be a longer post, but I figure I'll split it. Mainly because it's been a while since I posted, so this makes it sooner. Also because I feel it deserves a stand alone post.

We walk the paths ascribed to us; I, the miner forever cursed. Him; the King of good intent and shady means. We walk, and the gods laugh. We stab at one another ineffectually. We spar and dance and part with no blood shed.

That changes. Now.

The gods took my son, and so I will walk a new path, sing a new song. One of anger. One of vengeance.

One of death.

The Trolls charged Apiks in one great, seething mass. Fire lit the walls with staccato shadows as a single Gamer threw flame and shouted its rage. All the enemies of Necrothreat, in one room, with one imperative.

Kill the King.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beyond the drawbridge the sound of battle filtered through, and Apiks gritted his teeth even as he pulled his chainsaw to roaring, thirsty life. If Highmax and Carefulrogue could reach that lever, he knew, it would be over. They just had to…

A Troll lumbered in from the side, and Apiks hewed through its arm. It fell to the ground in a wash of blue blood, but the beast came on, rage contorting its face.

Apiks seemed to flow to one side, his guard up, and severed its head as it charged, bull-like, towards him.

The head fell at the feet of three more.

The King now seemed not to dance, but to flow. He was water, he was air. His was the saw which fells the mightiest of oaks. Limbs flew, horns grazed his skin, his mouth opened wide in a silent scream.
His hobnobbed boots struggled to find purchase on the slick wood of Necrothreat’s roof. It was cacophony, it was chaos, it was what King Apiks lived for.

Trolls filled the room still, though many were dead. They crowded him, bounced from the confining walls, stretched grasping hands through the gloom to snatch at weapon and clothing. His Chainsaw kept them back, like a shield of death, and Apiks took one step forward. Then another.

Like a tide, the Trolls were forced into retreat, a blood stained Forumite laughing and following them. He was Apiks. He was the King of Bones. He was not going to be defeated by mere Trolls.

But there were more than he knew. They hit the far wall and could go no further back. Enraged, they surged forward once more in a savage mass of grasping limbs and darting horns.

One laid a huge hand on the Forumite’s arm, another on his leg. Yet another gored him in the temple, tearing a burning streak of fire across his skin.

Still he fought, still his chainsaw darted like a hummingbird flying to the sweet nectar of blood. Tanbetan, killer of a legion, chainsaw of Apiks. Always faithful and true, unlike the Forumites of Necrothreat.

Always ready to kill at his will.

Tanbetan was pulled with a sharp, unexpected shock from his hand.

It skittered across the floor, the splutter of its engine dying the only noise. Red eyes blinked around the King, stupid eyes. But they knew what an unarmed foe meant, and they attacked with renewed ferocity.

Still the King fought, his arms held down by limbs like trees. His teeth tore out a Troll’s throat, his hands somehow scratched his attackers, his knees were like battlehammers.

Almost he drove them back on his own, almost overcame the mountain of flesh pushing him downward. But Tanbetan had been his symbol, and without it, he was less than Apiks, King of Necrothreat, one time wearer of the Crown of Bone. He was, instead, Apiks. A Forumite whose will could match the gods, but whose might could not.

Once more a horn grazed his temple, skittering off his skull. Again. Again. Again. Again.

Apiks strained upwards, each frantic heave accompanied by blinding pain.

They stabbed. And stabbed. And stabbed.

He heaved. And heaved. And heaved.

And then the King collapsed backwards, exhausted.

He thought then, in a moment of time which stretched into eternity, of the greenness outside and those who fought for him on the roof of Necrothreat. Of Morul and Carefulrogue. Did regret stain the edges of his vision? Was he being borne away on wings of righteous flame, or being dragged below? The green faded. Rogue's face became vague. Time slipped from him.

Apiks, the King, was dead.

*Attached to the document is a sheet of paper. The following is written in shaky, indistinct writing of the Necrothreat dialect*

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: January 16, 2019, 12:30:20 pm »

RIP, King of Bones. You got trolled.
My mods and forum games.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 202