Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505583 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2016, 08:24:43 pm »

Check with 1x1 pre-embark, there's two biomes, the aquifer need not cover the whole map.

Other than that, what was the old method that no longer works? Cave-ins and double-slit both work in my experience.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2016, 08:41:40 pm »

The old method I used in Necrothreat was the cave in method. That one was a single layer though, and this one is at least two. I saw that you can still do the cave on method with construction arms to hold the ground, however I'm having a rathet hard time visualizing it.

I'll check for double biomes too, but I wouldn't put my money on that. I thought double slit works only for single layered aquifers or the last layer of multi layered ones.

I could try pumps, but I'm at a complete loss regarding that too.

Many years have passed from Necrothteat I, yet I haven't gotten any better at aquifers.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »

Cavein method does get more complicated the more layers you go through - you'll need a kind of inverted pyramid, but the logic is same as freezing biome pierces. I have used it for piercing aquifers myself.

Double slit works for any depth aquifers, though make sure your pierce is entirely in 1 biome so you don't end up pumping into a wall on last level. The one that works for only the last layer is pump+hatch cover method, where miner passes through single-layer aquifer, closing the hatch on their way down, to establish drainage deeper.

The powered pump method works too.

All 3 methods were used in Bloodyhells as of 42.06, so...*shrug*
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 08:56:02 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2016, 10:00:36 pm »

I'd say use the cave-in method.  Pumps are too complicated, in my opinion.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2016, 10:28:48 am »

Granite

We have finally reached this godforsaken bog. Tsiru keeps telling me that this place holds incredible value and may offer the key to our salvation, however all I see here is greenery as far as the eye can see as well as marshes. For all intents and purposes it looks like a corner of the world left undisturbed by the war. A place of tranquility and beauty.

Or at least it would be if it wasn’t for the obsidian black tower stretching in the horizon. How life could thrive in such proximity to such a ghastly building I did not know. I’ll give Tsiru that, the mere fact that there is life here, much less such beauty is highly irregular. There must be something here to help us bring back the guardians.

Spread in front of me are seven forumites. Seven as a scouting force. The look on Tsiru’s face when I told him this is all I’m sending was priceless. I was in full agreement with the kings’ decision of such a number until I heard my name called out. How could the fools send me on a wild goose chase in the middle of a war! At least I was given leadership of the expedition, though for how long I do not know. I’m hoping those fools in their soon to be broken thrones realize how dire the situation is and call me back in an year.

The other six finally get off the wagon and stand in front of me. Tsiru too was among them. The blundering fool’s eyes are glazed with amazement at his surroundings as if Armok himself is here to smite us.

“Alright, soldiers.” They were not soldiers. In fact I was the only one with military training. Getting them in the soldier mentality would help though. Discipline is whipped into people, not built! “We’re here to seek out the fragments of what happened in the past at Ugithgelut. Necrothreat. Tsiru here will be leading the research digs themselves, however we have been ordered also to make a self-sustaining colony here in defense against” swiveling my torso backwards I point at the tower of death “that. I want an entrance, living rooms, workshop, farming area and stockpiling area mined and wood cut. The first few months will be the worst so let’s get started.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2016, 10:31:24 am »

What's the list of starting people? I feel like we had more requests for forumites than 7 (I know that you can't start with more than that, I'm not trying to complain).
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2016, 10:38:08 am »

What's the list of starting people? I feel like we had more requests for forumites than 7 (I know that you can't start with more than that, I'm not trying to complain).

Only TheFlame52, Arx and I have been forumited so far. The others will be forumited when we get migrants that have the stats they want since those were not a part of the starting 7 whose skills I chose in an utilitarian manner.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2016, 01:43:25 pm »

Sounds good/reasonable/non-dwarvenly. I expect antics and non-utilitarian stuff to have direct positive correlations with time.

EDIT: I'm not trying to complain. Anything that comes across that way is made in a joking manner.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 01:57:36 pm by Glass »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2016, 01:54:03 pm »

We do need to be strong enough to survive past the first turn.

*I get it, This post came across harsher than I intended after removing the Sprin joke.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 01:59:42 am by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2016, 12:06:29 pm »

Slate

Today Tsiru has called me to the newly mined tunnels. Even a bookish forumite like him is proficient with the pickaxe, which probably helps him no small deal in the excavation. As I walk among the new hallways, the very first ones, I can’t help but let out a slight smile at finally being out of the sky. Armok’s blazing eye was always watching out there, only clouds saving us from his gaze. Or so the stories said. I wasn’t personally confident that he had enough power to look at all of us from the sky or else we would’ve lost this war by now. Regardless the cloudy weather and rain for the past month has my thanks.

Really, we should’ve brough spades instead of pickaxes, it’s a surprise the tunnels haven’t collapse on their peat base. At least the soil would make for good farming. Why haven’t we dug down yet though? I let Tsiru take charge of that so hopefully he’ll be able to explain himself now. I round the corner of the wide hallway and at the end I see Tsiru sitting on the ground, his face obscured by his forsaken books. Armok curse the man, why isn’t he working? There’ll be enough time to read once we settle down.

“What is it Tsiru? Did you finally go stark raving mad?” A grin escapes my face. For all the weakness I see in him, I had no dislike for the forumite. People of all callings were needed. He looked startled at my presence and after a moment a look of comprehension, likely remembrance, visualized itself on his face by the dropping of his bushy eyebrows. He got to his feet and still held an open book in his hands. I noticed that on the other side of the wall far from the books was a pickaxe. That must be his. It would be a copper mining implement of little note if not for the fact that it was… damp. I do suppose it has been raining the past month and it’s not surprising it seeps into the ground, though our heads at least were well enough insulated not to let any pass.

“Apiks! I think we may have a problem. You won’t believe what I found! Just as I started digging downwards a stream of water shot right in my face. I thought it a spring and tried digging elsewhere but the result was the same. Then I remembered something, look.” He shoved his short height next to me and then proceeded to also do the same with the open book, but to my face. His enthusiasm was getting annoying. I swatted down the open book farther away from my face so I could see better and noticed that I’ve seen this book before. It was rather elaborately ornamented and the script was very beautifully written, if a bit faded. The drawings at the edges of the pages displayed writhing forms looking as if they would pop out of the paper if given the opportunity. Necrothreat. This is where I’ve seen the book from. It must be one of the chronicles.

“Here, do you see these forms? The chronicles tell of a water demon from the first Necrothreat. One of the very first of its kind and also the first major obstacle to the guardians during the reign of your namesake! Look,” he pointed towards a word “It even had a name – Afer. This is a clear sign that this is the place written of!” After a moment of silence a bead of sweat rolls down his forehead. “It also says how they dealt with it. Apparently a sacrifice was needed to bring down a hill upon it.”

He kept talking about how we needed to find a different solution and something else, but I had already tuned him out by then. Bringing calloused fingers to my nose I started applying pressure to it. Tsiru was such a pain to deal with. Just as I started walking away, incredulity on my face I heard him sounding angry “Why are you ignoring me, Apiks?” His face was now red. “This is big. If we don’t deal with this water demon we won’t be able to proceed! We might even die!” He was practically fuming at this point at my lack of concern.

“Tsiru,” a moment to let him calm down “it’s an aquifer.”
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:32:07 am by apiks »
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2016, 12:19:33 pm »

"water demon"
“It even had a name – Afer."
“it’s an aquifer.”

I knew that last line was coming from a mile away, and it still had me laughing out loud when it arrived. Bravo, apiks.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2016, 02:05:02 pm »

Magitek! And aquifers.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2016, 02:17:47 pm »

Magitek! And aquifers.
Magitek? Where? What are you referring to?
Also: is there any variety of trap that we could set up using the aquifers? Say, a constantly-refilling moat? Or... something?

Are there any good traps that use water?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »

The method I recall for multiple layers involves pumps. Have we the materials to make pumps? Can we trade for the materials? For now, we should probably build rough defences out of wood and  (*shudder*) live on the surface. Making a strong above ground base early will help us later.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 202