Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 516469 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2016, 02:33:58 pm »

build rough defences out of wood
live on the surface
We're gonna be elves! It's gonna be terrible!
Lets be kobolds instead and steal the necromancer's tower from him.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2016, 02:53:04 pm »

You can make pumps with wood. Wood screw, wood block, wood pipe section. That's 3 from wagon.
Are there any good traps that use water?
Sure.

- Get invaders into 7/7 water. Anything needing to breathe dies. Usually done by luring them into a corridor, but there's no reason you can't drop non-fliers just straight into water with crossbow/ballista/minecart fire or lever pull. Or just dig out almost the entire map down to the aquifer, then cover it with bridges linked to lever (alternatively, with pumps make it bit higher and install drainage to recover gear).

Could make the room (temporarily) swimmer-safe with breathing room on level above, that can be removed by closing the bridge. Which conveniently also neutralizes anything not needing to breathe.

Note that massive digging efforts might need retire/unretire to work best.

- Powerless ammunition for watergun.
At high end, I think this is pretty much "anything dies" (expect perhaps a steel titan, vanilla, and I'm not sure there) though harder to setup and to cover entire map with. There currently isn't a public design that is absolutely perfect given the current understanding of minecarts, though there's several that can repel circus.

- Depending on map temperature, spontaneous ice tunnels/landmines.
Anything that isn't made of fire dies.

- Depending on map temperature, melting baths.
Anything that can bleed to death probably dies.

- Water pushing onto spikes/storage:
Not sure what the limit on this would be, but anything moved by water pressure should die.

It can also make neat things like trapped 7/7 water only shortcuts to get werebeasts (via a submerged minecart trap, for instance).

Probably lots other possibilities. Defensively, for instance:

- Moat: Rather eh, given the existence of drawbridges.

- Cleaning through: Useful when dealing with anything with syndromes:

- Water fighting grounds: Helps neutralize fire and syndromes (not sure about webs, wiki suggests they're destroyed by irrigation but water waves might be too slow).

PS: If you're thinking "wow water's awesome", then well. Main counterpoint against weaponizing flowing water is FPS. Why kill enemies with water if you can kill them without water?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 03:13:55 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2016, 03:10:30 pm »

Okay. We should be making as many of all of those as is possible. Erin Quill's position as Traplord may not be questioned.
I'm just thinking... steam-powered serrated disk cannons, or spike shrapnel cannons, or, or...[goes into rant about all the things you can do by launching stuff with steam and compressed water]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2016, 03:16:47 pm »

Steam is, amusingly, one of the things you can't weaponize anymore. That rant is understandably short.

And you can't launch anything other than water or magma automatically. Magma is over twice as dangerous, but has greater FPS loss and friendly fire potential.

Oh yeah, remembered another one. That cleaning through? If it is uncleaned, laden with syndromes, and something unclothed goes through, they get hit by syndrome.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2016, 03:36:13 pm »

And all of these defensive measures will likely never be implemented. Necrothreat isn't known for being given time to prepare. Pretty much all of our defensive skits are desperate, such as flooding the world with magma, breaching HFS, charges and just letting them have parts of the fortress.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2016, 03:40:45 pm »

Pretty much.  From my experience, unless you want to spend massive amounts of time paused to set everything up exactly right, we'll maybe achieve one of these projects in a decade.  That's a conservative guess. 

For forumiting, I'd request a spear dwarf.  Traits tending towards respect.  Male, if possible. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2016, 03:46:38 pm »

Eh, don't be so pessimistic. If you can flood the world with magma you can flood/shotgun few rooms with water :)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2016, 07:20:41 pm »

Steam is, amusingly, one of the things you can't weaponize anymore.
Erin doesn't know that (neither did I); he's probably thinking more along the lines of the stuff that you can do with steam in games like Besiege. I'd assume that he's more familiar with our physics than with his physics.

And all of these defensive measures will likely never be implemented.
Erin is the Traplord. He will make certain that his favored items get made.
Necrothreat isn't known for being given time to prepare.
We will make time to prepare, even if we have to pick the godly pockets of Armok himself to just steal a few more hours.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, remembered another one. That cleaning through? If it is uncleaned, laden with syndromes, and something unclothed goes through, they get hit by syndrome.
I remember that from the reclaim of Battlefailed.
"Death troughs", they got called.

Also: "FAILCANNON will be able to shoot both hot and cold running fail."  :D
Let's get a cold fail faucet running.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:17:10 pm by Glass »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »

I support weaponizing the Aquifer getting Afer to fight on our side.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2016, 03:58:58 pm »

Early Felsite

I stand before our resident mason and builder Arx. His long auburn beard and moustache were braided. During the arduous travel to this place he told me that it was customary for widowed men to fashion their facial hair so that their moustache is longer than their actual beard, which was damn impressive considering it’s nearly to his knees. He is also my lover. We found more in common during our travels than I thought we would. One of those things was loyalty. I hadn’t planned on any romantic involvement with him, but when he told me the story of his dead wife at the hand of necrothreaders and her subsequent last words to forget about her only to be risen from the dead the next moment, I couldn’t help but sympathize. Apparently that was forty years ago and he had maintained celibacy until now. Breaking from my reverie I focus on Arx again.

Spoiler: Arx (click to show/hide)

“Report. Are preparations proceeding smoothly, Arx?” Despite our familiarity I treated him as everybody else in public. I was first and foremost a leader to these people, second a friend. “I heard there was a commotion regarding the aquifer as well.”

“Sleeping quarters are done and furnished with beds. The stockpile needs expanding but we’ve delayed that since it would probably be better to create a new one after the aquifer is breached. The farming area is doing fine, though we have a lack of seeds. The sleeping quarters and stockpile can easily be converted to barracks, right at our entrance, just as you ordered.” He lists things in a systematic order. “Every room has doors and the main entrance to the outside has two courage wolves guarding it. As for the aquifer, we’ve discovered that while it is rather deep, making it harder to breach, there is a spot we believe to be thinner than the rest. TheFlame52, the carpenter, has already created the necessary wooden products needed to create the screw pump crucial in your plan to breach it. We should be able to breach it faster at this thin spot.

Spoiler: TheFlame52 (click to show/hide)

“Excellent. Tell Tsiru that he will be operating the screw pump itself. The plan requires your specialty in buildings, Arx. I will leave the wall building to you. Careful with the water not to slip and break your head. Tell everybody to be near the pump at all times when they’re free. We need extra hands hauling wooden blocks as well. We shouldn’t get much rest the next few weeks.”

Arx does a mock salute, a sharp about turn next and strides off to deliver my orders. I’m always impressed at his ability not to stumble around his long oiled beard. How he kept the thing at bay when he worked was beyond me. As I walk to the wagon to get some food for the dogs, I watch the sun as it lowers right above the necrothreader tower. Soon they will notice us and soon they will send their forces. I shudder as battle fear envelops my being, strengthened only by my memories of battle. There was nothing glorious in fighting the undead. It’s either a vulgar burning stench or a slaughter, often both. We have to prepare. We have to breach the aquifer.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2016, 04:36:28 pm »

Can I be dorfed as a mason/miner/hammerdwarf? Please? He can do all of them, changing when he needs to...
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »

Can I be dorfed as a mason/miner/hammerdwarf? Please? He can do all of them, changing when he needs to...

I haven't forgotten about anybody's forumites. I'm just waiting for migrants to show up.

Just have a bit of patience.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2016, 05:45:14 pm »

I considered asking for a forumite, but I'd rather be alive on my first turn.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2016, 01:12:23 am »

I haven't forgotten about anybody's forumites. I'm just waiting for migrants to show up.

Could just dworf multiple forumites as same dwarf, i.e. Sprin-Karne.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:50 am »

Could just dworf multiple forumites as same dwarf, i.e. Sprin-Karne.
I don't know about you, but having a multi-personality disorder being the embodiment of Sprin sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 202