Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505526 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #975 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:54 pm »

EDIT2: 
@Glass found a better character for her.
Sydney Crimson
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/s]
She just died of thirst. 

EDIT3:
Jackson Spade
I'm really hoping he doesn't die. 
EDIT4: he did.
Welp, two more projections. Okay.
I only figured out a few minutes later the cause of it, but yeah.  If I could, I'd default the dead's names, and give you the manager, except I can't.  Is tinkering associated with any traits?  I can probably give you one of those.
Who makes mechanisms?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: March 09, 2017, 02:19:34 am »

-snip-
Welp, two more projections. Okay.
I only figured out a few minutes later the cause of it, but yeah.  If I could, I'd default the dead's names, and give you the manager, except I can't.  Is tinkering associated with any traits?  I can probably give you one of those.
Who makes mechanisms?
Wasn't certain.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: March 09, 2017, 02:30:54 am »

@Glass

Sadie Hertz

I've cleared out and foolproofed some of the idiotic death traps someone left behind, so you shouldn't lose this character.  I'm surprised I managed to pick the two though that were dying of thirst in the trench.
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: March 09, 2017, 03:42:38 am »

23rd Felsite, 553
Alright, so what’s what in this hellhole.  The status of the military.  There are a total of four men, one of which is myself.  Priority one task, recruit and arm as many recruits as possible. 

There are no uniforms set up for the various units.  This is going to take some effort.  Can’t have cross training.  Given reassignment isn’t possible, all the squads--save the marksman squad-- has been disbanded and reformed. 

There is little in the way of skill in our people at waging war, so we’re going to be careful over the next few weeks. 

Right, so at this point, approximately 80% of the fortress has been drafted into four squads.  We really need the manpower, but we need to ensure we can train them proficiently enough.  Now where’s that ledger…

24th Felsite, 553

I’ve come to a decision concerning the previous overseer. We’ll dig out an arena, or most repurpose one of the massive rooms, and sentence him to death by combat.  He’s the biggest threat to our own survival, and to my rule.  Wish I didn’t see it from that angle, but that’s what we’ve got. 

One of the other forumites brought it to my attension we have a pair of artifact… crowns.  They say the last word with such fear, I’m concerned with the state of things.  If it is so dangerous, we’ll dispose of the crafts immediately.  Time to find the magma sea.

1st Hematite, 553

I’m still finding my way around this place, and I see a number of ways to improve.  No more dirt treks out the front gate, now it’s still block. 

5th Hematite, 553

A warband of politicians have arrived.  Close the gates, and get ready to outlast the siege.  This will hopefully be over in a bit.

16th Hematite, 553
Five dead, including the madman Gwolfski, but the entirety of Ruhn’s Bolts is decimated.  Compared to the six killed politicians, it’s a fair enough trade, but we could have mitigated some of those losses.  I’ll hammer out a training regiment one of these days. 

I realize it's a double post, but the topics are different, so two seperate posts seems like a better choice.  I'll let you fellas react and get you all caught up with happenings.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: March 09, 2017, 04:06:34 am »

Aww, don't get rid of the crowns. Just put one of them on, you know, just to see how they look on you.

I promise Apiks isn't going to take over your mind.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: March 09, 2017, 04:17:48 am »

Aww, don't get rid of the crowns. Just put one of them on, you know, just to see how they look on you.

I promise Apiks isn't going to take over your mind.
no one has access to them, and I'm currently having trouble with everyone dying on me.  The magma is there though if anyone wants to take a crack at ensureing the above madman doesn't take over.  And besides, my character is plenty crazy as it is. 

EDIT: I won't be renaming anyone from here on out, except my own character.  We're in a death spiral.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:27:10 am by Carefulrogue »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #981 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:06 am »

We're in a death spiral.

...well, bollocks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: March 09, 2017, 03:29:49 pm »

So, any forumites that could work for Arc, or are we going to be looking for the time machine?

EDIT: meaning we are so screwed we will restart the game.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 03:38:17 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #983 on: March 09, 2017, 03:39:52 pm »

I thought Rogue's job was to 'stabilize' us? When I left, things were fine.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: March 09, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »

So, any forumites that could work for Arc, or are we going to be looking for the time machine?

EDIT: meaning we are so screwed we will restart the game.

The only cases we reroll a save is when everybody is dead, otherwise no matter how screwed up we are, we keep going. Save scumming is not looked down upon in this fortress simply due to the nature of it.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: March 09, 2017, 03:49:36 pm »

You have a strange definition of "fine".
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #986 on: March 09, 2017, 04:02:15 pm »

I wasn't dead. Nobody was starving, except Apiks, who was playing idiot. We had food. Drink. A Sprin-temple.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: March 09, 2017, 04:02:56 pm »

26th Hematite, 553
So with the loss of our dearly departed manager and records keeper, he’s been promptly replaced.  I’m now sitting as record keeper, and I appointed another fellow for the managerial position.  He’s competent, and that’s all we really need at the moment. 

27th Hematite, 553
In the study as I was heading out yesterday, I tripped over a loose slab of stone.  Was too tired to inspect, and it was only later i noticed it was a hatch.  Some stairs lead down a level into a roughly  carved room, and there were some unusual constructions.  Also a sigular coffin.  Didn’t bother openning it, but I noticed a name inscribed in a thin mica plate: SPRIN.  Why the second to last overseer in entombed here is a mystery, but I don’t care.  The room is out of the way, and it seems like a great place to put the graves of the other fallen men.  Better than in the middle of the hall. 

20th Malachite, 553
A forgotten beast is in cavern two.  It’d probably be scary and worth a fight, if it wasn’t in the sealed cavern. 

25th Malachite, 553
I had thought this would be a very dour report to mark down, but no, we have migrants!  Only 7 adults, and a child, but every man helps!  Also, a couple of men came forward-- I can’t remember their names clearly, but was it Jackson Spade, Arx, and someone Quilt?  -- asking to be let out of military duties.  I reluctantly approved, since they were not all to great.  Every man is valuable, but we already do have more men enlisted than we can fully equip and train. 

1st Galena, 553
A number of forumites were found dead, apparently died of dehydration.  We have plenty of drink, better than when I’d taken control certainly, a full 9 barrels, which while small, it’s better than nothing.  And yet we have had four drop dead. 

Stratch the last, five dead.  It’ll probably rise before long.  All right below the entrance gate, in the winding trenches.  Unfortunately, one of those that came to ask for relieved military duty perished with them.  Unfortunate.

5th Galena, 553
A series of previously unknown doors to me were found locked, preventing our men from getting out of the trenches.  Hopefully this mistake will not be repeated.  As well, there is no way out of the branch the men down there are stuck in.  Who designed this place?!

7th Galena, 553
What could a child possibly think up now?!

19th Galena, 553
The magma sea has been located at last.  The miners reported seeing glimpses of blue through the sluggish orange glow, but it’s nothing we need to concern ourselves with presently.  Now where are those damn crowns…

24th Galena, 553
The child created an uninteresting artifact.  Just a puzzlebox, and only of wood.

16th Limestone, 553
The caravan came, and it’s a glad sight to see.  Metal bars, armor, and a variety of other items are on my very long list of needed equipment. 

20th Limestone, 553
The Liaison met with us to discuss imports and the like, and had some news.  Not certain how it’ll effect us, but I’ll note it down.

25th Limestone, 553
More migrants.  Excellent, more for the military.  Little in the way of skilled labor, but we can assign and handle job assignment later.

26th Limestone, 553
The headaches are going away, ever so slowly. I’m still getting accustomed to the flashes of images.  It helps it’s similar to cave adaption,

27th Sandstone, 553
I’ve started to build up the fortifications we have outside.  We have a lot of fine cedar, oak, and pine, so we’ve put it to use ensuring we won’t have to worry about flying enemies.  Will also keep the archers out of the rain, when they need to wait up there. 

9th Timber, 553
Shit.  A were-monitor arrived outside the fortress, and that is extremely bad.  We’re still hauling away lumber for the fortifications, and everyone is outside.  Our only hope is that we can rush it!
10th Timber, 553
Every member of the military is going to be kept in isolation.  There are a lot of bite wounds.  That is, if we can, get back inside.  There are a lot of dead.

Scratch that, isolation isn’t possible.

11th Timber, 553
The visions have grown a sharper edge, I think I can see things, things I know haven’t happened here, and yet the call up reminds me of things that have happened, if elsewhere, in another time, another place.  I can see battles fought, I recall their outcomes, the numbers lost, the names and faces of men I’m certain I’ve never seen.  Am I going mad?

What’s worse, I’m definitely infected.  The bite wound burns to the touch.

7th Moonstone, 553
Well, I think it’s the 7th.  It’s the last day I remember, of this … life?  Timeline?  I’m not sure.  I’m pretty convinced now that what they told us about Armok and Ur is true, back when we were younger, although their reach doesn’t stretch into death as terribly as it’s been told.  Curious. The visions, I’m certain they are real, events that happened, wars that were fought by me.  A different name, a different banner, a different nation and loyalty.  And yet in every case I fought. 

I’ve found myself walking in the fortress--Necrothreat, not another.  The visions give me images of other realms, but this is different-- the fellow citizens are fighting, killing each other.  Some are transformed, others fallen, a bloody heap.  My body down in the hospital is like it, a shredded pile of flesh and blood. 

I wonder, can I return to the mortal plain, exert my force again?  Let’s tr-

My eyes slowly opened, blinked then snapped wide.  He reached up, and touched his face, bit his tongue, and patted himself down.  He began to laugh, hysterically, for it was insane.  Insane that death  could not, hold him.  Could not or would not.  It was no matter, he was alive, and would be able to carry out his plans for a bit longer.

Journals of Carefulrogue III
15th moonstone, 553
Found my journals, just where I had left them.  Most everyone is too stunned by all the death to really care who takes charge, and I don’t think they realize that I’m different than last time. 

There are only 47 of us. A lot of us are were-creatures, but that gives us an edge.  The children have managed to stay relatively unharmed through it all.  I think.  There really isn’t a way to tell the last. 

We’ll be fine.  We just need to get the fortifications finished, and then we can get the rest settled out.

6th Opal, 553
Quill Arcane, Lore Master, is dead.  Was inevitable really.  None of the civilians know how to fight, and eventually they’ll be picked off during the transformation days. 

I also cannot find one Sadie Hertz, but someone monotonously said she’s dead.  Oh well. 

22nd Opal, 553
I’ve been forced to change the access rights to the libraries we have, specifically in regards to visitors.  It won’t help too much if significant guests of ours join us in the ranks of savage monsters for a day a month, 12 days a year. 

23rd Opal, 553
Another forgotten beast was reported  I brushed off the report.  We aren’t getting at it anytime soon, and it’ll nicely cull the cave creature populations.  And maybe it’ll be worn down by the sheer volume of things the caverns can throw it at.

5th Obsidian, 553
Well, if anything, I just want to finish off the fortifications above.  I don’t care enough about the rest to give much attention to it.  If we had the manpower, this would have been done quickly.  Heck, we probably could have started on a second set, a branch heading out from the main keep.  Aw well.  Hopes to reserve for another day. 

24th Obsidian, 553
I wish we could do something about these ghosts, but they can’t be of much harm.  Nothing serious has happened, and ever so slowly we’re getting coffins set up.

And now I’ve found one of the crazy men that previously were in charge of this fortress.  In a hole, filled with water.  I really shouldn’t be surprised, but I am.  I ordered the gap to be covered with a slab of rock.  Hopefully this will scare less of our people.

1st Granite, 554
Someone said something about Spring being in the air.  I couldn’t tell if they were being serious, or making an off-color joke. 

4th Granite, 554
Troll ambush came.  We aren’t gonna deal with this, and are just gonna shut ourselves in.  Seems we won’t finish the fortifications. 

5th Granite, 554
Gates are shut, we’re finish unless they want to scale a wall to get in.  Speaking of which, I thinkk one did…
6th Granite, 554
The trolls occupy the upper fortifications. 

7th Granite, 554
I’m doing something everyone is probably going to think I’m crazy for- we’re pulling all the visible levers in the noble sector of the fortress.  We need that gate closed.

11th Granite, 554
The fortress is secured.  Sort of.  We’ll survive.  How long is questionable, but we have food and drink for a while. 

18th Granite, 554
The fortress will need to secure a food source, so we’ve begun to make a tunnel to the caverns, where hopefully we can secure some mushrooms and other edibles that we can collect seeds from.  If we can do that, we’re problem free.

25th Granite, 554
It only occurred to me today, what if migrants arrived while we’re stuck down here?  I don’t think we’ll like the results of this answer.

18th Slate, 554
I’ve ordered the walling off of the gate to the noble quarters.  We can hear a great ruckus as the trolls move from room to room upsetting tables, and tearing apart doors.  They can just as easily do that to the drawbridge if they are so inclined. 

22nd Slate, 554
We’re so close to breaching into the second cavern layer.  Everyone’s stomachs hurt, ghosts constantly sweep between our ranks, making it hard to tell who is still here and who passed on.  Once we secure the cavern, we can recover.  I’m tired of this…

7th Felsite, 554
I think this is it for us, really.  Too many of us won’t work, we can’t really, because we’re all starving.  I think I hear fighting above, hard to tell though.  We tuned out that noise long ago. 

12th Felsite, 554
I regret attempting to return to the mortal plane.  Perhaps there is something there, some force that found just punishment for me.  Or, Armok’s power stretches far beyond what we first imagined. 

We’ve locked the door to second cavern layer.  We had attempted to force our men down there, with a military order.  They died to a cave dragon.  We have no food left here.  We have water, place for fields, but no seed.  We can’t do this.  It’s just not possible anymore.  I’ve ordered the tearing down of the wall, we might be able to get out, get a barrel of food to us.  We might be able to retrieve a few weapons.  But I don’t think it’ll happen. 

22nd Felsite, 554
I give up.  I’ve handed the control of the fortress off to someone else, someone that probably has a better chance of surviving this whole thing better than I.  This is the last day of my rule.  A pitiful thing it is.

EDIT: Pictures added.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:23:37 pm by Carefulrogue »

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: March 09, 2017, 04:20:03 pm »

I wasn't dead. Nobody was starving, except Apiks, who was playing idiot. We had food. Drink. A Sprin-temple.
We had no weapons, no goods to trade, no half assed attempts at defending ourselves.  When I saw I was after you and Sprin, I was just hoping I could survive.  I couldn't get rid of the crowns, because you apparently cannot dump artifacts.  Glass lost two characters in the successive time it took for the civilians to deconstruct a wall; his third was ripped to shreds the next full moon.  That was the point where I declared us in a death spiral.  After that, the trolls arrived, and it wasn't until the spring migrants appeared, that it became clear, there were a lot of trolls everywhere. 

Anyways, here's the save.

EDIT: Also, @Gwolfski, we began to use your bunker as the emergency bolt hole.  Don't mind the hatch down to the second cavern layer.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:27:03 pm by Carefulrogue »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: March 09, 2017, 04:39:17 pm »

Mental entity prime: Erin Quill
Mental entity duece: Jackson Spades
Mental entity san: Sydney Crimson
Mental entity quad: Sadie Hertz

OOC: I will be posting more when I next get an opportunity. Also, if the three that aren't Erin are showing up for you as all times new roman, well, only Sadie is supposed to show up like that.
Also. Um. From what I've gathered, things are...
Things are stuff. Yeah. That sounds about right.
It's stuff.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:42:08 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 202