Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505532 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #1170 on: April 05, 2017, 05:42:45 am »

I'm going to speak frankly for myself. If there's general disagreement with me, then I will accept that, but this has been bothering me.

The reason people ignore your story is twofold:

1. The conventional way community forts run is that non-players writing fluff work around what the player posts. This is because a big part of the fun of DF is that the player doesn't have absolute control. If you desperately want to see a particular story thing happen, ask politely, bearing in mind that what happens on their turn is their prerogative, or you take a turn yourself.

Demanding that the player write your fluff into their turn, even if it inconveniences them, is just straight up rude. They're finding time to do something they enjoy, and you're telling them you want them to do something you enjoy instead. Be considerate, please.

2. 99% of the stuff you guys have written makes little sense in-game or is entirely divorced from what's actually happening/present in-fort. This apparently doesn't bother you. I intentionally wrote hooks for you guys into my story posts (the perpetual motion machine? Quill's journal?) that made sense in-game, and you either didn't read the post or ignored them.

At least offer others the things you demand of them. If you want them to respect your fluff, you'd better respect their fluff. That's more-or-less the foundation story heavy succession games are built on.

Rant off. Like I said, if I'm the only one that feels this way I shall suck it up and just enjoy the fort, but I felt it needed to be said.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 05, 2017, 06:02:16 am »

That's fair. I can promise you, I don't have much issue with our stuff not really being payed attention to by the overseers; as you said, it's completely divorced from the game's reality. The fact that the Forumechs got anywhere near the amount of traction that they got was amazing. SM can just be something of a sore loser sometimes. :-/

I hadn't really noticed that those were supposed to be hooks though. Just because we wrote the occasional journal for our characters (long ones, yes, but not actually that many) doesn't mean that those things that we described were all that they'd done. I was just thinking that they were things that fit in with the established personalities.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 05, 2017, 06:07:35 am »

I'm going to speak frankly for myself. If there's general disagreement with me, then I will accept that, but this has been bothering me.

The reason people ignore your story is twofold:

1. The conventional way community forts run is that non-players writing fluff work around what the player posts. This is because a big part of the fun of DF is that the player doesn't have absolute control. If you desperately want to see a particular story thing happen, ask politely, bearing in mind that what happens on their turn is their prerogative, or you take a turn yourself.

Demanding that the player write your fluff into their turn, even if it inconveniences them, is just straight up rude. They're finding time to do something they enjoy, and you're telling them you want them to do something you enjoy instead. Be considerate, please.

2. 99% of the stuff you guys have written makes little sense in-game or is entirely divorced from what's actually happening/present in-fort. This apparently doesn't bother you. I intentionally wrote hooks for you guys into my story posts (the perpetual motion machine? Quill's journal?) that made sense in-game, and you either didn't read the post or ignored them.

At least offer others the things you demand of them. If you want them to respect your fluff, you'd better respect their fluff. That's more-or-less the foundation story heavy succession games are built on.

Rant off. Like I said, if I'm the only one that feels this way I shall suck it up and just enjoy the fort, but I felt it needed to be said.
I wanted him to at least write in something about tuning the oboes. It would have taken five seconds. It didn't even need to happen in game.

EDIT: When have I not respected others fluff, I play off other peoples stories if its something Arc can be involved in. Most of the stuff since I came in has been private stuff, stuff only for their character. The grimoire was different. It was a tome of dark magic that belonged to Erin, you don't think that Arc would have at least seen it? Plus, I spent a lot of time, and got a crash course on new magic stuff from Glass, thinking up and writing up the wards.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:20:01 am by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1173 on: April 05, 2017, 07:54:53 am »

Send a great doom on pikachu. Delay in magic happens perhaps?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 05, 2017, 10:01:28 am »

I would like to wait. Also, I knew already.

HEY, YOU DIDN'T FIGHT THE DEMON OR ANY OF THE OTHER WARDS! I TOLD YOU NOT TO PROCEED UNTIL I POSTED ABOUT THEM!

EDIT: Ok calmer now. Pikachu, please dont just ignore my story ideas, it angers me. I write for a reason. Now lord Afer is mad at you so he isn't going to help put out the fires. But seriously, you didn't even tune the oboes. Glass and I had a cool idea and I was going to post tonight. I understand we can't just go back, but from now on, don't ignore story ideas, modify them, but don't ignore them.
Oh. Sorry. I was just skimming the posts so I could update, and I must've missed it. Or forgot about it. Sorry.
Fifth ward to protect the grimoire, all of the oboes on the orchastra must be in tune to open it. Seriously though, I will be writing up the first of the protections, Pika, if you beat it, then wait for me to talk about the second protection before proceeding.
Sorry. I could re-write that part of my story. Also, spoiler alert[spoiler]I am going to be killed by Rosywander, then I am going to be resurrected as Ganondwarf. You could become my chief wizzrobe/evil advisor. You could even be the one to resurrect Ganondwarf. Your character doesn't seem to evil though, so a moblin would probably have to force you.[spoiler] Apiks, do you mind If I take some more days to collaborate with Smoke Mirrors?
Are we still being grammar NAZIs?
I make that eight, not counting instances of colons not followed by spaces. :P
Let me just look at the bolded.
  • story
What's wrong with this?
  • falling trees(49 so far).
What's wrong with this? Is it that I didn't put a space in between 'treess' and '(4'?
  • extinguation
Okay, I misspelled it. But what is the correct way to spell it?
  • ,(;?)
because I wasn't sure if it is was a comma, or semicolon, and I did not want to die. That did not work out.
  • I am the wielder of Rosywander,
What is wrong with this?
  • meerly
I knew I misspelled it. Too bad I wasn't near a dictionary.
  • rosywander
I didn't capitalize it. Oh, well.
  • !(
    • Is it wrong to not have a space between a letter and a parenthesis?
    4 errors I accept so far. I am so dead.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:25:32 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 05, 2017, 10:55:15 am »

You may gain a few additional days in order to collaborate with Smoke Mirrors if you so wish but there better be something to show at the end (likely story-wise.)

Regarding Glass and Smoke Mirror's fluff, due to the convoluted manner in which they are written, often breaking the fourth wall, its likely some of them will not make it to the PDF format (the roleplaying we did will for example not) and whether an overseer decides to acknowledge them is fully up to him. This includes what to do with said fluff. If an overseer decides to forgo some aspect of the story still not showcased in a proper manner (read as "not written in a confusing manner") for his own reasons then it's up to the overseer.

Of course since most of the issues are a result of the fluff not being centralized in a proper manner, often just minor additions in otherwise OOC posts and can be solved simply by incorporating continuity into the fluff in the form of actual story (kinda like how I wrote Glass during my turn and Th4DwArfY1's ending.) Nitpicking about somebody not paying attention to everything written in the thread is just silly. People forget, skim or even skip things often and if somebody is ignored, it's likely not intentional.

I would appreciate it if this did not devolve into a long-winded argument and instead remain as an official answer in the minds of people for future.

Spoiler: Pikachu17 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:57:28 am by apiks »
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 05, 2017, 10:59:38 am »

Is it wrong to not have a space between a letter and a parenthesis?
Yes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know SM, and I can essentially guarantee that any deal you guys make for his resurrection will involve binding magics that will prevent you from deliberately doing bad stuff, and that he definately wouldn't accept being your advisor without him feeling that he can keep you from doing bad stuff.

Unless, of course, I'm dead wrong, in which case I have no control over what he does with his characters.
Which I don't.
Only idea inputs.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 05, 2017, 11:02:38 am »

Spoiler: Pikachu17 (click to show/hide)
I did change the post. I just had difficulty refinding the post so I could quote it.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 05, 2017, 11:05:25 am »

Is it wrong to not have a space between a letter and a parenthesis?
Yes.

I know SM, and I can essentially guarantee that any deal you guys make for his resurrection will involve binding magics that will prevent you from deliberately doing bad stuff, and that he definately wouldn't accept being your advisor without him feeling that he can keep you from doing bad stuff.

Unless, of course, I'm dead wrong, in which case I have no control over what he does with his characters.
Which I don't.
Only idea inputs.
[/quote]Maybe quill makes a spell intended to make properly-seasoned caramelized popcorn appear, but it actually resurrects me? Or Rosywander could pick him as its new host? Rosywander could decide, well, I kinda miss Pikachu17, maybe I should make Quill resurrect him.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:07:01 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1179 on: April 05, 2017, 11:28:51 am »

'story' should have been 'Story', as the first word of a sentence.
There should be a space before parentheses, yes.
'Extinguation' should be 'extinguishing'. 'Extinguate' is not a word.
I think 'I am the wielder of Rosywander' was actually you bolding it. I didn't see any instances of pre-existing bolding, my mistake.

Bonus point:

Wait, don't have a live forumite name Arx?

Bonus turbo-descriptivist point:

Is it wrong to not have a space

This is a split infinitive; it should be 'not to have'.

But I'm just messing with you. I personally really don't mind if people make minor slips of grammar, but I couldn't help but take it as a challenge when you laid down the grammar law like that. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 05, 2017, 02:35:16 pm »

I would like to wait. Also, I knew already.

HEY, YOU DIDN'T FIGHT THE DEMON OR ANY OF THE OTHER WARDS! I TOLD YOU NOT TO PROCEED UNTIL I POSTED ABOUT THEM!

EDIT: Ok calmer now. Pikachu, please dont just ignore my story ideas, it angers me. I write for a reason. Now lord Afer is mad at you so he isn't going to help put out the fires. But seriously, you didn't even tune the oboes. Glass and I had a cool idea and I was going to post tonight. I understand we can't just go back, but from now on, don't ignore story ideas, modify them, but don't ignore them.
Oh. Sorry. I was just skimming the posts so I could update, and I must've missed it. Or forgot about it. Sorry.
Fifth ward to protect the grimoire, all of the oboes on the orchastra must be in tune to open it. Seriously though, I will be writing up the first of the protections, Pika, if you beat it, then wait for me to talk about the second protection before proceeding.
Sorry. I could re-write that part of my story. Also, spoiler alert[spoiler]I am going to be killed by Rosywander, then I am going to be resurrected as Ganondwarf. You could become my chief wizzrobe/evil advisor. You could even be the one to resurrect Ganondwarf. Your character doesn't seem to evil though, so a moblin would probably have to force you.[spoiler] Apiks, do you mind If I take some more days to collaborate with Smoke Mirrors?
Are we still being grammar NAZIs?
I make that eight, not counting instances of colons not followed by spaces. :P
Let me just look at the bolded.
  • story
What's wrong with this?
  • falling trees(49 so far).
What's wrong with this? Is it that I didn't put a space in between 'treess' and '(4'?
  • extinguation
Okay, I misspelled it. But what is the correct way to spell it?
  • ,(;?)
because I wasn't sure if it is was a comma, or semicolon, and I did not want to die. That did not work out.
  • I am the wielder of Rosywander,
What is wrong with this?
  • meerly
I knew I misspelled it. Too bad I wasn't near a dictionary.
  • rosywander
I didn't capitalize it. Oh, well.
  • !(
    • Is it wrong to not have a space between a letter and a parenthesis?
    4 errors I accept so far. I am so dead.

It's ok, I'm calmer now and I understand that it was silly and childish. I was thinking about it being a overly protected fake anyway, maybe Rosywander is just smarter than Arc gave him credit for. Anyway, we'll have to see about Ganondwarf, but I do enjoy some Legend of Zelda.

I'm thinking Majora's Mask, or maybe the Wizzrobe ring (Hyrule Warriors.) Don't combine the two though, Majora's Mask Wizzrobes look incredibly stupid.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:12:21 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 05, 2017, 03:00:46 pm »

Pikachu, did you want to be ruthlessly murdered this turn?  Handing us a challenge like this is a helluva way to guarantee it -- there is a little grammar Nazi in us all...
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1182 on: April 05, 2017, 03:05:17 pm »

Hail Grammar! *salutes*
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 05, 2017, 03:22:50 pm »

How come I'm not on the turn list? I don't recall ever having been told it was my turn and I know I was there before >_>

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 05, 2017, 03:36:34 pm »

How come I'm not on the turn list? I don't recall ever having been told it was my turn and I know I was there before >_>
You don't appear to be in the list. 

Speaking of which, may I sign up for a second turn.  If we get that far, cause I'm really not sure we will.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 202