Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 505593 times)

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #1950 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:46 am »

Trying to play as much as possible now. The game's running very slow and I'm on a limited amount of time, but I figured I could still write updates after not having access to my pc anymore. Save'll be uploaded thursday morning probably if I'm still allowed to play by then. Fear I won't be able to finish the year though.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: August 13, 2017, 04:59:24 pm »

Apparently, we've ran all out of cut gems. The fey forumite keeps screaming for them, so I ordered some to be cut. After waiting for quite some time, no one seemed to want to do it, so I decided to do it myself. I have to admit, this new hobby brings me great joy! I've also taken it upon me to do some tailoring and leatherwork, as dresses seem to be all the rage at this moment.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When checking the ledgers, I noticed something odd. Quill Arcane, the young prodigy claiming to be a powerful mage, seems to be the son of another Quill Arcane, long dead now. I asked Apiks to confirm this for me, and he returned saying it had been true. Maybe his spirit lives on in this body? His power at least, seems to have only just emerged, for I can clearly sense it. Never noticed that in his parents. By the way, Apiks seems to have lost some weight. Quite a bit, actually.

I've discovered a secret room, hidden away underneath the fortress. Getting there is quite a challenging feat, but I did so anyways. It's constructed underground and contains plenty of bookshelves. Maybe I should read some of the literature there. Anyways, it doesn't seem to have been inhibited for the last few years. I wasn't able to find a trace of life, so I suspect it has been abandoned.

Someone just booked a one way trip to prison.

My plans to install the Giantess in the church have been foiled! We chained her up properly, but apparently we chained her up too well. She wasn't able to resist when some visiting poets started beating her, resulting in her death. At least we can say her death was worthy of literature.

Multi-Dressing has become a trend. I see Red Hammer is also wearing four. I wonder why he'd do that? I mean, it's certainly fashionable and quite a feat, but just... why? Anyways, demand for new dresses is high as always. I've been working on some new designs that allow for multi-layering, starting with silken mini skirts and ending with long leather dresses. Fashion truly is a noble pursuit, as Omer told me.

Part of the roof collapsed. I am sure it was an entity unknown to us that caused the collapse. A prankster spirit of some kind? It just disappeared into nowhere, so either magic or the gods must've been involved. I'll have this sorted out as soon as possible, for as long as that roof remains open, creatures from outside can climb in.

The roof couldn't have imploded under worse circumstances. I am certain an evil entity must be the cause of it. I think I've even seen fragments of the horrid creature: a little forumite, so skinny it seems to have starved, with a grinning smile of shark-like, blood-covered teeth. It followed one of our trappers, who then discovered an ambush of trolls. With half our fortress being out, our roof still open and no way to close the fortress to whatever manages to crawl onto the roof, it does not bode well. We need godly assistance to get out of this one. Let us hope we can expel the evil spirit afterwards.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »

Good good, the dress thing is still funny...

Someone just booked a one way trip to prison.

KILL IT! ATOM SMASHER NOW!

Still happy to see a politician reference.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: August 13, 2017, 05:35:41 pm »

1. Apiks got into a fight with a lazorshark. It's a great way to lose weight.
2. Red Hammer is a woman so it isn't quite as weird.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: August 13, 2017, 05:36:33 pm »

That's not lost weight you're seeing, Lemonpie. It's pure unadulterated 100% muscle on this sweet, sweet body. Who know having so much testosterone production would make things so much easier?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: August 13, 2017, 09:49:48 pm »

Check the notes near that library. 

Events
Rogue let out a yawn, and as he shut the door and locked it, before letting the illusion drop.  He was finally glad to be away from the training room, tired of getting the hell beat out of him, and the remaining leg he had was starting to ache.  He had work to do though, so more walking before resting. 

He walked up down the passage, and briefly flitted a ribbon of green over the rough stones, smoothing it further.  Bit by bit, he was figuring out the art.  More detail coming in, the material and magic meshing together.  Useful.  Ever so useful, in ways he wouldn't have imagined, what if-

Thunk. 

Rogue's hand grasped the key in the lock, and gave it a mighty twist.  Thunk.  "Grrrrr.  Don't be stuck you bloody-" Another twist, and a CHINK was heard.  "Well Bollocks." In frustration, he slammed his fist into the hatch.

To his surprise, it flew open.  Part of the key's shaft was still poking out, but there was no damage to the bolt.  Rogue frowned, extracting the ruined key from the hole.  "Why the hell were you unlocked?  I locked you for a reason... "  Rogue pressed on, carefully setting the hatch down, and throwing the deadbolt this time.  He came to the next door, and tried to open it.  It swung open with ease.  "Shit." 

Behind the door, the library was revealed, neat shelves and books, the journals, observations, and plans.  The illusion spell still hung over the room, giving it all a fine appearance of dust rested over everything.  There was certainly dust, but not that much.  Rogue dropped the warding.  He repeated the expletive. 

A trail of feet could be seen treating a path through the dust, looking around, but not closing towards any one shelf, or the desk.  Then they left. 

"Bollocks, bollocks, fucking bollocks."  Rogue now had a mission.  Find out the fool who found the place, and ensure they didn't tell anyone, or return.  His hand tightened on Sosasbakust.  Any means necessary. 
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:29 am »

Hey, has anyone remembered getting a non-visitor vampire since the tavern update? I'm not sure dwarven civs get direct vampires anymore.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: August 15, 2017, 02:42:22 pm »

Time passed slowly, as I ordered the alarm to be sounded. It felt like everything had trouble moving, like all was going slower. Meanwhile, the trolls sped on towards us. Then, it happened. Lord Omer aided us. He saw his most loyal followers struggling, and could not stand by idly. He had never been a deity who would look onto suffering, and refuse to help. I felt his power, as it boomed from the sky. I think everyone felt it. As the trolls were about to attack the trapper that had discovered them, a thousand rainbows blasted from the sky. Like beams of light, yet beautifully colorful. Right in their eyes he shone, blinding them. They staggered, unable to see anything. Yet the forumites kept on charging towards the safety of our gate. As they stumbled around, and evil cries of agony erupted from their imposing faces, the forumites got inside. All of them. Not a single forumite was left outside when I ordered the gate to be closed. The ambush took only one victim: a crippled lolkitten unable to even crawl. Omer could do nothing for the creature but give it the mercy of a swift death. As the bridge was raised, however, I remembered that though we were inside, we still were far from safe. The roof was still exposed, and through that, the entirity of the fortress' insides as well.

It was of the greatest essence the roof would be closed as soon as possible. It was autumn already, and winter fast approached, bringing with it more than just ambushes. Swathes of enemies: gamers, politicians, trolls and necrothreaders, would all attempt to lay siege once more. An opening in the roof would mean the fall of Necrothreat IV would be imminent. I ordered the militia to guard the roof, whilst workers were to reconstruct the upper levels. Yet, they were too busy to even do something. Only Apiks listened, and only for a short while. Did they even care for the wellbeing of the fortress? With an army like this, how could there ever be any hope? The gods alone would not be able to protect us. As I heard the war-screams of the trolls erupt, indicating they'd found their prey, I could do nothing but pray. Ironic, was it not? Prey that prayed. I did not know where they had breached, but I knew there were dozens of unarmed workers up there, and could hear the trolls were fighting. With the militia like this, none would be able to fight back. In my mind, Necrothreat had already perished. Gods, it'd be my fault.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »

I do really love your updates, Lemonpie. It's a shame you couldn't find time to play more. Is the game really slow?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 16, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »

It was quite slow when I played.  Took hours and hours to straight up get through the running period of a year, not factoring in pauses to write, direct, or what else.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 17, 2017, 01:56:25 am »

I do really love your updates, Lemonpie. It's a shame you couldn't find time to play more. Is the game really slow?
Yep, on my shitty PC it is at least. I've only been able to play like 3-4 months. Still working on it though.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 17, 2017, 08:13:44 am »

As I sunk into prayer and meditation, probably my last one in the realm of the living, I realized the sound of combat was distant. Too distant to be occurring on the roof or inside of the fortress. Had I still left people outside? It wouldn't have been the first time, sadly enough. Gaining some hope for the future of our fortress, I stood up once more and hurried to the roof. There, construction was still taking place. Stressed dwarves were nailing the last planks to the roof, and the door was already being removed, to be replaced with an actual, unbreakable wall. Wondering where the fighting was taking place, I peered through the wooden fortifications. Surrounded by flame and fire, the Trolls stood, fighting an unknown enemy. It did not take long for me to catch the first glimpse of a disgustingly bloated gamer. The Gods had most likely redirected them towards Necrothreat, in order to distract the trolls!

As fights erupted in the northeast, I noticed something else approaching from the south. Quite some forumites, accompanied by beasts of burden, had ventured towards Necrothreat in order to trade. Some called us, the inhabitants of Necrothreat crazy. But those merchants were undoubtedly much more insane. Traveling towards a flesh mill just to make a profit. Still, with the enemy this close to our gates, we could not allow them to enter. Lowering the gate would be too dangerous. But, with the large amount of masters at arms they had brought with them, they should have been able to fight off anything thrown in their way. They would be fine, I prayed.

A gurgling shriek erupted from the foundations of our fortress. The smell of rotten food mixed with the insufferable stench of gastric acid started filling up the fortress. A third force to besiege us, this time from below. The legendary Skaraxxe Wubehoxxede Sker Wids had come. And we had no way to stop it from entering the fortress.

Our intricate traps would have no effect on creatures like these. It would easily be able to glance off anything we'd throw at it. Spare for the blades of our very best soldiers, that was. Doren and Apiks hurried down immediately, whilst the monster approached. Doren slashed the monster with the legendary Rosywander, and Apiks ripped and tore a way through the thing with his legendary steel chainsaw. The beast was dangerous, but no match for the two of them. In the end, Apiks added another kill to his ever-growing list.

I won't be able to play anymore, but I'll be able to still write some updates the next few weeks. Here's the save already, so the next person can start playing and updating as well.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13060

Hidden in a crack in the wall are several pages. On them, streaks of charcoal. Judging from the look of the papers, they must have laid there since before Apiks even took a crown upon him.

Though religion had been forbidden, there were still a few worshiping Omer. Faith had it one of them found the crumbling parchments. An engraver, who had stumbled upon them by accident. Secretly, hidden from Apiks' regal stare, the man managed to smuggle them to the cathedral, where he handed them to the high priest himself. Finally, after so much time, the last chapter of the "MANVSCRIPTVM REGIMEN CITREACRVSTI II: QVIS SACER" (or: Book of the Rule of Lemonpie II: the Holy one") had been added. The book was finally complete.

[Manuscriptum regimen I: Late second rule of Lord Lemonpie]

Fire. It raged, everywhere around the fortress. Trees fell, bushes shriveled and animals crumbled. Nothing but bare rock would remain. Nothing but bare rock, and Necrothreat eternal. Though constructed of wood, the outer fortress stood deftly against the licking flames. The tongues of many minor demons and spirits, wanting to taste everything the world had to offer. Yet they could but lick the walls of Necrothread, which had been enchanted, blessed and bloodied so many times being near them could be considered painful for any being, loyal to Necrothreat or not. For those lacking a sense of magic, it would often manifest itself as unwelcome tingling in the contacted areas, resulting in tiny cramps, bruises and sizzling blisters after a long time of exposure. For those who could sense magic, it resulted in chills, tiny spasms, visual and auditory hallicunations, as well as odd thoughts, combined with the previous physical complications. Most of the fortress was used to it, though children and newcomers would often try to avoid the walls as much as they could. The military had been desensitized, as part of their training. The enemy had not, giving us the advantage whenever fighting close to the walls. The walls that had resisted anything Ur and Armok could have thought to throw at us. Politicians, Gamers, hordes of undead. Unspeakable monsters, tiny and large. And fire. So much fire. The walls were no longer brown on the outside, no. An odd substance had formed. An amalgamation of blood, ashes and crystallized magic had formed a thick black crust on the entirity of the outer fortress, shining almost metallicaly.

The fire had started by the brook flowing south of the fortress. It had once been an idyllic sight. The bank of the river had been overgrown with a variety of lush plants. Yellow lillies, their lush petals the same colour as the fluff on a newly hatched chick. Pink orchids, the colour of sugary treats. Tiny blue flowers, growing between and under everything. Insects buzzed betwixt the lavish banquet of flowers and other plants. Fuzzy bumblebees drifted around lazily, while majestically coloured dragonflies darted over the water and regal butterflies fluttered from flower to flower. Vermin inhabited the banks and waters. Hamsters built their nests and waddled around proudly, whilst green frogs swum through clear water, filled with an abundance of colourful fish. Waterfowl was plentiful. Elegant swans, plump little coots and graceful herons were able to thrive on the abundance of food present. And at night, looking from the walls of the fortress, one could see wanderlights hovering above the shallow waters, their lights causing the water to sparkle like a gemstone unlike anyone had ever seen before. Lemonpie had been little when it had still been like this. But he remembered. And everytime he remembered, tears flowed from his eyes.

Now, life could hardly take foot. Whatever grew was sparse, and doomed to burn through a crisp within months. There were no flowers, no overgrown riverbanks. There hadn't been for years. Now, the ground was just black. Gleaming white bones offered the only contrast to this sea of darkness. Even the lifeless waters were no longer clear. Ashy sedíment coloured the water a disgusting shade of dark grey. Black even, on a rainy day. Necrothreat had come, but with it, life had left. Even the trees that still stood had changed, their branches almost barren, bearing little leaves and crumpled, semi-rotten fruits. In spring, Lemonpie had had hope. He'd seen several green bushes appear out of the ground. But his hope had been to no avail, as he saw it all burn once more. He turned around from the fort's painful walls to head inside when he heard the sound of a horn in the distance. No, not one horn. Two forumite horns, from different locations.

[Manuscriptum regimen II: Late second rule of Lord Lemonpie]

I hurried back towards the fortifications. The thick black smoke the wildfire brought with it pained my eyes, but I did not care. The loud horn I had heard was recognizable. Every year I had lived in Necrothreat, I had heard it being sounded. The traditional instrument, carved from the broad horn of a large ram, was carried by only a single group. The merchants of our civilization. I praised Omer as I attempted to peer through the smoke. My eyes teared up, but I would not close them. A gust of wind, however, revealed something unexpected. An army, a full size army, accompanied the caravan. Legendary weaponlords and shieldmasters stood around the caravan, guarding it deftly. Yet, trolls and gamers still roamed outside. Only the Gods knew how long both sides would last in their conflict, and it was a matter of time before the surviving party would charge our fortress. I could not risk opening the bridge, as the fire approached the merchants. Not even their armor would be able to protect them. Only the Gods could.

[Manuscriptum regimen III: Late second rule of Lord Lemonpie]

The second horn sounded. To the east, hidden within a thick layer of smoke, stood a smaller group of people. Migrants. Migrants, coming to reinforce the starved populace of this rotten fort. Pure souls, headed towards their doom. Just as we needed them so much. I decided I could no longer keep the gate closed. We had lost too many of our compatriots to turn these poor folk away. With a heavy sound, the drawbridge was lowered. Our own horn sounded, and the migrants made a run for it. To the south, the merchants, now almost fully enclosed by the flames, ran for it too. But I feared it was too late, for the thousand tongues of flame licked them already. Yet, as if the hands of Omer held back the walls of hellflame, a path remained, leading towards the cooling brook. For way longer than it should have been, the flames halted, blazing on yet unable to truly harm the merchants. Only when almost the entire caravan had crossed the brook, the last wagon caught flame. In the hurry, a barrel of pig's fat had fallen off the cart, swallowing the driver and his draught animals whole in the resulting blast. The men hurried on, leaving the screams of the burning merchant behind them. It did not take long before we were able to welcome them inside our walls, mostly unscathed.

[Manuscriptum regimen IV: Late second rule of Lord Lemonpie]

For months, I had been working on the construction of several hidden rooms underneath the fortress, for our loremaster, Quill Arcane. Only the most beautiful, well crafted and rare items I had dragged there, to the four new rooms underneath the Castle. A mausoleum, engraved with the most beautiful works of art. A bedroom with furniture unlike any seen before. And two grand studies. One filled with cultural wonders, with books and texts both sacred and cursed. Another filled with wonders from the natural world. Cages lined the walls, filled with an assortment of creatures. From the most mundane bird to living politicians and the undead. Plants from the bright surface to fungi growing in the darkest chasms of what was nearly the underworld. All for our loremaster to study. The construction was briefly interrupted by a gargantuan rat, but one of the hunters took swift care of the beast. Quill was more than pleased with his gift, and thanked me time and time again. I told him to thank the Gods instead, for I was only a humble messenger, working to make their desires reality. I would continue describing the lavish rooms, but Apiks has called me. I wonder what he's planning, but as a man of the Gods, I shall see if I can help or need to stop him. Forgiveness is key.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:30:10 am by Lord_lemonpie »

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 17, 2017, 12:56:42 pm »

Thanks for doing another turn, Lemonpie. The writing was good.

Are you taking over now, Apiks?
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

apiks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 17, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »

Thanks for doing another turn, Lemonpie. The writing was good.

Are you taking over now, Apiks?

I am indeed taking over this time. No more delays on my part. I've got things set up and a basic idea of where to go. I'll probably start tomorrow.
Founder of Teh LOLmod

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 17, 2017, 04:29:06 pm »

Wait. Lemon pie, you said Doren was wielding the legendary Rosywander? Is Doren the host of Rosyander? In other words, my forumite?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 202