Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 202

Author Topic: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy  (Read 516839 times)

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NecroThreat IV: Fortress for BFEL, God of Necromancy
« Reply #2490 on: January 01, 2018, 12:31:26 pm »

Agreed.  Besides not having the time, I don't even know how I'd follow up. 

EDIT: Also, I'd like to request a turn.
I never thought genocide would look so cute. . .
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.
"Guys if you say 'oops sorry' afterwards it's not a war crime, right?"

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: January 01, 2018, 06:43:49 pm »

Th4DwArfY1 was horrified.

Highmax, the Hero Promised. Compromised. A fight in the pits of the earth, with gods hurling flame and blood and death. So much ruin cast by one Forumite, one man with absolute control. His right to rule, the pickaxe he held slung so casually over his shoulder, would need to be used again. Of this, he was certain. Of his fallibility, he was also certain.

It was a weight and risk which he would have to bear. Yes, even as he saw Highmax defeated and felt the shade of his blood magic fade, he’d seen Apiks’ eyes. There had been a gleam to them, a certain curling of the lips. He would need speed, and luck, to curtail the King’s bid for power.

Perhaps the chainsaws would need to meet, a clash of steel on steel.

Walking swiftly from the burning pit which was Highmax’s tomb, he felt a pang of guilt. If he had been a shoulder to lean on, would the Forumite have acted so madly? Would he have succumbed to old hatreds and bitter rivalries? Probably. But the chance for Highmax’s redemption haunted him through the cold stone of the upper fortress. And as he passed, the hallways blurred, merging with an older time. A voice whispered, soft as a leaf settling on the ground, in his mind. Jenny? It sounded confused, and when it faded, his vision returned to normal.

He continued walking, jaw clenched. He still felt the presence of the Mad Doctor. His touch was deeper than ever now, his insanity masking a surprising tenderness. This Jenny of his must have been a woman beyond all compare, for he knew that Sprin would burn all the worlds that be just for a chance to see her smile. Th4DwArfY1 felt himself yearning for her gentle touch, her whispered words which held the darkness at bay, and shook himself.

He was not Sprin.

He only got as far as a deserted storage room before his enemies divined his purpose. He was approaching the throne room, filled with bones on his own orders. A place of power, for power had claimed it for its own. True, a place of death. But if he had sat in that vast hall before the statues of the gods, his right would go unchallenged. Of that, he had been certain. They would even cast the great King Apiks in irons and throw him, screaming, down a well if he ordered it. He wasn’t certain he wouldn’t.

He unhooked his chainsaw and slowly revved it with now-practiced hands, the room chill around him. The pick may be his symbol, but he knew what he was, now. A warrior. The chainsaw was a solid comfort in his hands, though even with that he flinched slightly as, from the shadows across the warehouse, a deep-throated growl rose in reply, purring its challenge. Another chainsaw moved from concealment, and Apiks soon followed. As if a dam were broken, people began streaming into the room. He saw Erin Quill, and blinked in momentary surprise. Arx, a frown on his face. The High Priest. Children clutching their mothers’ skirts, families and enemies and friends. He could almost smell the politics, a scent wholly unknown to him in the Mountainhomes.

He cursed its aroma.

“So, Th4DwArfY1. Overseer of the past. Bodyguard. And sometime traitor to your rightful King.” The chainsaw roar rose in pitch. “You will bow to me, and the power of Crown, Bone and Chain. You will bow before your King, or I will make sure your end is quick. I could make the pain last longer, but the agony I would place you in? None could bear it for longer than a second before expiring. So. Consider your options, renegade. Denounce your right, bow. Or die, and I will arrange your dead bones so that they are kneeling before my throne.”

A flicker, and mad laughter echoed in the hollows of his mind. “Never,” he snarled, Chainsaw lunging forward. Steel met steel, but so too did body meet body. Apiks collided into him, and they both fell heavily to the ground, rolling amongst the boxes and bins. None dared approach them, though many sneezed at the dust they raised. Necrothreat waited on its overseer to be chosen in the old fashioned way.

Blood lights the way to power.

Apiks punched him with a massive fist in the face, twisting the flesh of his neck! The force knocked them apart, and Th4DwArfY1’s Chainsaw swept erratically upwards. It cut off one of Apiks’ moustaches, and the proud Forumite looked down in mounting anger. His whiskers fell to the ground, and he howled with rage, raising his Chainsaw high and charging in for the kill.

Th4DwArfY1 could not raises his own in reply. Hoping against hope, seeing death falling from above, he did the only thing left to him.

He raised his pick, most treasured thing he owned. The chainsaw hit it squarely between the two blades, and sliced through with a jolt. The very shaft splintered and split in his hands, and he looked into Apiks’ snarling, vicious face.

The Chainsaw quieted. The pieces of his pick fell from numb fingers. Apiks smiled, triumph in his eyes. He turned to the people.

“See now, you men, women, and children of Necrothreat! Behold my power! My foe lies on the ground, bloodied. His right to rule shattered, like the strength he claimed to have. You are mine, now. There is work to be done, and you will not like it. But let us forget this remnant of the past’s ideals. Close your eyes, people of Necrothreat! And then open them to a new dawn!”

No. That voice shook in his head, and Th4DwArfY1 gasped from his place on the ground. Had Sprin just spoken to him? Was the man… lucid, somehow? His arm twitched, then slammed into a nearby crate. It split, and many objects spilled to the ground. Apiks did not even turn from his speech. No. That bastard held Jenny captive… told me to obey him… a dog at his master’s call. We will bring ruin to him. We will find Jenny. We will end him! Once more, mad laughter echoed in his head, but now it was not senseless. No. It had purpose, deep and full of intent.

Th4DwArfY1’s hand fell on a long, slim rod. Felt at the etchings carved into its length. It had spent long hidden in the depths of storage, but now it was free. The mad laughter spinning in his head burst free, and Apiks’ speech stuttered to a stop at its frenzied peals.

He stood up, and realised for the first time that, of the two, he was taller.

Stretched in front of him was a rod of legend, a sceptre from the past. Made of goblin-cap, it held leering and twisted faces, howling in pain or merriment. It was hard to tell the difference. Around them were spun noble features, Forumites cut in clean lines with spears and swords levelled. Both together, swirling in battle. A split perspective.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember your past.

Th4DwArfY1 howled, and Apiks stepped back. The sceptre exploded with red, bathing them both in twisted light. Flame flickered along its length, and Apiks fell back, hands raised against the heat. The voice within screamed victory, and his hands twitched. Just in time, he held back an attack against the surprised Forumite.

He spoke through gritted teeth, barely keeping the passion within restrained. “Go, Lord of Bones. Go, and know yourself beaten. I will be overseer, and you will listen to my orders! I am no longer your stooge! This symbol of power decrees it be so.”

“Never!” Moustaches streaming behind his hectic face, Apiks spread his arms. Bones shot from the ground, but Th4DwArfY1 swept the sceptre through the air before him and they fell to ash.

“You. Will. Go. Lord. Of. Bones.”

Rage filled his opponent’s face, and his chainsaw was a roaring dervish. But then, strangely, the rage fell back, and a cold look of calculation passed over the Forumite’s face. Cursing, he turned to leave, and like shadows fleeing the light some joined him. The footsteps which left the hall were heavy.

Th4DwArfY1 turned to look at the crowd assembled, at the people over whom he was now overseer. In their eyes, he saw only resignation. One would always seize power and rule them. It had so seldom turned well for them that they no longer cared whose oppression they suffered under.

It shouldn’t have been Th4DwArfY1. He knew this. And yet, as he started giving orders, he kept the Goblin Sceptre near to hand. Unwanted, it was nevertheless now needed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: January 01, 2018, 06:57:48 pm »

Ahh, the good 'ol fuck you, Apiks, I'm overseer now switcheroo.

Maybe I should take a vacation.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: January 01, 2018, 07:32:13 pm »

Red Hammer's Journal
I forgot to mention it, but one of our woodcrafters is having a strange mood. We had to cut her some gems, but she's working now.

The woodcrafter made a goblin-cap scepter. It's pretty nice. There's a picture of goblins fighting forumites on it.

Red Hammer: As soon as I laid eyes on that scepter, I knew I should destroy it. But, for whatever reason, I didn't. I won't make that mistake again.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: January 01, 2018, 07:54:07 pm »

When does Erin happen
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: January 02, 2018, 01:02:01 am »

Carefulrogue stood with arms folded as he watched the fight.  He wasn't really watching, nor did he really care for the result, as the fight was unfair to begin with.  Fighting against the magic forumite whose specialty was bone, in a room full of bone objects... not something the tactician in him considered smart.  When Apiks dropped Dwarfy1 to the floor, he nodded his head in resignation.  It was over, at that's left with be the addition of--

Rogue's head stopped as Apiks started a monologue.  Dwarfy1 was stunned on the ground, as shocked as he that he wasn't dead yet.  Rogue sighed.  "Back turned, enemy ignored, now empty threat two minutes ago," Rogue muttered out, shaking his head slowly.  "Apiks, it's almost like you don't want to win!  Fool.  Even if you're confident with your magic ability what stupidity."

Dwarfy1 twisted on the ground, his arms futively searching for a weapon.  Rogue knew from observation he didn't have a dagger or knife stored on his person.  His chainsaw was two paces to the left, lost in combat and kicked to the side by Apiks when he had a free chance.  His pick lay in pieces.  In whatever boxes around lay trinkets and bables--

A flash of red caught his eye.  He didn't ever see much red, besides the Bone Crown and some of the unusual objects the Orchestra had on hand.  Frankly a lot of it had been destroyed by Red Hammer more than a decade ago.  This wasn't coming from Apiks' head though.  This was from a bin, one of the sides weakened or rotted, broken by the forumite's flailing.  And inside, was a two foot long scepter glowing red.  Rogue stopped moving, his eyes focusing on the forumite who stopped moving for a second, before leaping to his feat, fire leaping from the staff gripped firmly in his hands.  In the frame of ten seconds, Apiks had gone from victor to loser, this time at the complete mercy of one who had yet to make threats, or lower their guard. 

"Well, I'll be damned.  I guess he could pull it off."  In the fashion of pretty much all the politicians, Dwarfy1 began to issue orders to Apiks, and apiks' face was becoming a faint comparison of the scepter's red.  They shouted at each other, a bit, until finally, Apiks backed down.  Rogue predicted he'd wait til another opportune moment arose to seize power again.  It had happened twice in the last two decades, and, of course, even with our the forces of evil clawing at their gate, the dead didn't stay dead.  Killing Apiks wouldn't stop him.  Carefulrogue sure wanted to though. 

Rogue of course, didn't have time.  He like many others had to decompress the information and the events far beneath the fortress proper.  The events that led to the death of a legend. 
No reason someone can be dorfed only once. An entire army of Carefulrogue! All in one coffin, it seems.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: January 02, 2018, 02:48:31 pm »

I've forgotten a bit. Where is Rosywander, exactly?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: January 02, 2018, 03:26:20 pm »

Highmax took over its bearer, then hid the sword away somewhere. It's not mentioned where.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: January 02, 2018, 04:36:54 pm »

In that case, Highmax, would you please PM me with the location of Rosywander, so if I decide to have him return, I know how to write it?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:35 am »

Assuming monom doesn't have PTSD from the events of losing two of her children, being tricked one sill lived, and then having her body mangled into a man against her will, it's out on the open but damaged enough that it won't really bother people

Until it's fixed of course (in the actual Save, I just selected hidden on it. A reminder that Icesoar is NOT Rosywander. It's the other one)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: January 11, 2018, 08:01:27 am »

Lack of faith.
It defined him. A surging, inner turmoil. A desire for knowledge where it had been explicitly forbidden. He was devout. He prayed. He loved his god. Even heard him speak, and was his mouthpiece.
And yet, he did not know his god. Omer, god of rainbows and water. Fluid and ever changing, who could truly pretend to understand his ways and his wishes? And yet he spoke to the people of Necrothreat, and told them that this, or that, was the will of the god. That faith would lead them true.
He lacked that fundamental faith.

--------

Th4DwArfY1 no longer worked in the shadows for the betterment of the Fortress. Instead, he openly held the reins. His hand glowed red beside him at all times where it clutched his Right to Rule. The goblins leered suggestively. The Forumites cheered him on.

They would do the same no matter how inspired, or how heinous his actions.

The right to rule. Did he deserve it? The well oiled military patrolled the fortress, and the corridors were safe. Truth be told, the undead were not the threat they once had been. Who had achieved this? Whose iron fist had brought them into line, who had built an army to make the gods themselves fear? Who had, in truth, countless times saved this fortress from ruin.

Curling in himself, an anger. Jenny.

He sighed. Yes, who too was responsible for great atrocities. For the undermining of justice. For tampering with artifacts better left alone.

His staff flashed crimson, and he waved it frantically up and down. Perhaps it needed air? Who knew.

Apiks. Scourge or saviour? He found that both words fit, and that terrified him. But he would build Necrothreat back to glory. He would protect them, and all Forumites, from the wrath of the gods. Highmax had failed. Apiks was too vicious. Ghosts and spearmen, Archpriests. All had failed. Th4DwArfY1… perhaps, just perhaps, that Forumite had enough compassion to do what the others had failed to achieve. Make the people happy.

He issued an order, and a messenger boy ran to obey.

Water flowed, and some gladness was restored to the fortress… but still. The prisoners crying in their cages filled him with heartache. Anger stole into him at the sight of Apiks, but so did understanding.
Th4DwArfY1 had once been certain. But now, he did not even know who he was.

----

The moon hung fat and heavy in the sky. New fortifications were rising, but not quickly enough. No birds sang. No wind blew. From the East, no sound.

Except one.

A pawing, stone being scraped from stone. A heavy, ponderous tread. The watchers on the wall ran, to report the coming danger. That was their job, after all. Never mind that the wall was unfinished. Warning must be given.

It walked past our defences. A great beast, taller than any mortal. Hairy, shaggy. Thick limbs the size of trees. It stopped before the very gates of Necrothreat and roared a challenge. From where he stood, Id saw its teeth flashing, great yellow sabres.

He had been fixing a mechanism, and had been confused at the sentries running past. He had shrugged, and continued his work. Mist swirled outside.

There was no wind, and only one sound.

Breathing.

The great bear lumbered forward, sparse hair covering its rippling mass of body. It galloped, now, closer and closer, and Id, realising his danger too late, turned to run. Others ran with him, but as it barrelled past, its muzzle caught them. Its teeth rent them. It pounded them into the dirt. It caught up to him, and with a massive paw batted him aside. It sank its teeth into his arm, ripping his robe, and he knew death had come for him. Vaguely, he saw corpses around him. He knew the military would not come in time to save him. He could feel death, and it whispered to him, soft and sibilant on the heavy, misty air.

And then he saw a gleam of light, and even in his certainty of death, his breath was stolen away.

A Forumite, alone, had charged the great bear. In his hand, there was only a pickaxe. Consciousness stealing away, he saw the first blow land. It sank deep into the Bear’s shoulder, and parted the flesh.
The creature roared in pain, its muzzle ripping free of Id’s flesh. He roared too, and then darkness.

So was born Bearbane, the Werebear Slayer.

The Slayer's Edda

We heard afar the coming sound
The tread of heavy paws on ground
The laboured breathing of a beast
Coming unto a welcome feast.
Our armies clothed in iron hide
Shivered, and locked themselves inside.
Long held their swords bespecked with dew
These men thought brave by me and you.
Long went their iron armour all unused
Which first in fires were fiercely fused.

But one remained before the gate
To stand before the coming hate;
Of him now sing, oh Necrothreat
For we remain within his debt
Who sheltered were by blazing pick,
By blows most fierce and passing quick.
His like will never come again
Who we have thought to name Bearbane.

The bear with gleaming, gloating eye
In mists and shadows thought to lie
Unnoticed by our stoutest men
Hidden by thicket in the fen.
There claw like sickle reaped the soul
Of Forumites. Their lives he stole
With jaws agape then snapping shut,
And of our blood he had his glut.

Then with a knowing, leering smile
Innocuous and full of guile
It lumbered to the fore
With muzzle stained by gore,
Claws sharpened on our bones
And ears full hearkened to our moans.

It spied one more to bring down low
Out in the open, foolish foe!
Long were his strides, the thunder came
Like poundings of torrential rain
Upon the ground. The sound! The sound!
Id the mechanic peered, then frowned
Before his death he saw
Within the monster’s jaw.

He turned, the gate to win
But felt a heavy breath upon his skin,
Heard growling carried in the breeze.
He knew its claws would on him seize.
Knew, too, that Necrothreat
Would murder see avenged, challenge met
And foe be speared by blades of steel.
Contentment does the worker feel.

But whist, a silver light on high
A testament to he who’d die,
Divinely sent or earthly reared,
By either way that light be feared.
He came.
Bearbane.

Blood flew, a blackish, brackish flood
And when the weaving stopped there stood
No bear. Instead, his muscles taut
His face with anger wrought
Our hero with his pick remained.
The bear he’d slain, its features maimed;
Such was the reason for his name.
Bearbane.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:07:06 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: January 12, 2018, 01:37:15 am »

It's nice to see you're still worthy of your title, Th4DwArfY1.

It has been awhile, how much have I missed on a scale of 'undead head on the wall' to 'Forgotten Beast Roasts/Omelets giving the Fortress Food Poisoning'?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Carefulrogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: January 12, 2018, 11:28:07 am »

Whichever of those options is "a lot," is the correct answer @TalonisWolf.   Hopefully you bookmarked where you left off.

@Th4DwArfy1 how long did it take you to write that?  Merely curious.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: January 12, 2018, 01:18:40 pm »

Hi all, I was just out getting brea-
blank stare
walks away
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: January 12, 2018, 03:14:47 pm »

Welcome to my kingdom, Imic. You've been gone for... a while.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 202