Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 23087 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« on: April 10, 2008, 01:26:00 am »

Hello Everyone. New kind of fortress game. 6 different fortresses on one 5x5 map.

Each fortress lead dictates to me to get it's fortress to manufacture trade goods, trade, construct, and generally operate. I will monitor things as told by the leads to monitor. Fortresses can also buy enemies captured by the "trade group" to be released on the other fortresses. I expect that not a single fortress will last very long. If a fortress dies off, a new dwarf can be sent down to take over. Who knows, it may even be close to habitable... Or it could be a lava-flooded pit of doom... Either way...

So, here it is, the Hydra Fortress 'Rėrithnicat Geshud Zarut'.

Groups: (*=Lead, -=Minion {}=No living dwarf for that player)

Martinelli's:
* Mulch Diggums (Mulch Diggums)
Pop: 2
¤: 1

MirroredAbbey:
* Impending Doom (Impending Doom)
- GeneralValter (GeneralValter)
¤: -60

The Purple Cap:
* Mekali (DoctrZombie)
- Svartamyrkur (Boksi)
Pop: 6
¤: -31

Crashthunders The Doom of Trees:
* Istrian (Istrian)
- Strife (Strife26)
- Horis (Dwarf Fanatic)
Pop: 5
¤: 0

Lamid Beravuz:
* Cobbles the builder (AlmostEverywhere)
- Roza (Jamini)
Pop: 4
¤: 2899

Unnamed Group:
* Kira (THLawrence)
¤: 0

People requesting minionship/Potential future rulers:
Squeegy (Squeegy)

Trader Goods For Sale:
∞ Wood = 8 ¤ ea
2 rope reed cloth = 25 ¤ ea
2 rope reed thread = 15 ¤ ea
1 Rope Reed Bag = 80 ¤
2 Pick = 200 ¤ ea.
3 tower cap barrel 30 ¤ ea
1 Steel Pick 700 ¤
1 Battle Axe 1500 ¤
1 Pair of steel Low Boots 2000 ¤
1 Steel shield 1500 ¤
3 Steel caps 900 ¤ ea
2 GCSS Bag 1000 ¤ ea
4 Bag 60 ¤ ea
3 Bag w/ 20 Dimple Cup Spawns 50 ¤ ea
1 Bag w/ 20 Cave Wheat seeds 50 ¤ ea
3 bag w/ 20 rock nuts 50 ¤ ea
3 Bin w/ 10 leathers 160 ¤ ea
6 Bin w/ 10 plant cloths 400 ¤ ea
2 Bin w/ 10 cloths (incld. 5 GCSS) 2000 ¤ ea
1 Bin w/ 10 cloths (incld. 6 GCSS) 2400 ¤
1 Bin w/ 10 cloths (incld. 7 GCSS) 2800 ¤
2 Steel Anvil 5000 ¤ ea
1 Iron Anvil 1600 ¤

Pending Trades:
Lamid Beravuz: 1 Battle Axe, 1 Pick, 1 Dimple Cup Spawn Bag, 1750¤

Ordered Trades:
Lamid Beravuz: 2-3 barrels of booze, 1 Bin with silk in it, as many barrels as possible, Some Meat, Some Cheese, more meat, 15 wood logs

The Purple Cap: Rock nuts bag.

Unnamed Group: 21 wood logs.

Last 10 delivered trades:
MirroredAbby: 3 Barrels of Booze

Available Potential Immigrants:(can be grabbed by anyone)
0 Citizens available.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 01:35:00 am »

That sounds veeery fun. But can you manage it all? Sounds like it would be pretty hard to host.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

Akroma, Leader of the 3rd head

a weaponsmith. His mini fortress has only minimal farming and the like going on and exists only for the sake of all metal related industry.

also, a flat map with only a brook ?
boooring

I think you should find some nice features, so we can have some diversity

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 07:13:00 am »

What a strange concept... I'm anxious to see if you can actually pull it off; dwarves can be terribly hard to control and I can see them mixing around in others forts.

But hell, you need players =D

Dwarf: Mekali  ; Sex: any, Profession: farmer/brewer.
I'd like to start my fort with a farm growing plump helmets year round. I'll start brewing them when I'm confident I have a good store of food.

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

Sounds interesting. Good luck with that.

Name : Istrian
Profession : Woodcutter/Hunter/Axedwarf
Fort specialization : Outdoor related actvities (hunting, woodcutting, fishing, plant gathering, protection racket...erm...I mean military manoeuvres and loot hauling)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 07:34:00 am »

Mulch diggums! Give him bone carving and animal training. His fortress will be centered on making bone bolts, clothes, and bone trinkets. Bring him along ...10 cats and 20 dogs. Or as many animals as he has the remaining points for.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:00 am »

Sounds hard to run, but if you think you're up to it...

Cobbles the builder, Novice Miner, Novice Mason, Mechanic.

He'll start digging and building furntiture, but once basic setup is done it's going to be moats, raising bridges, and traps.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

I'll join but I don't know how well it will work.
Name: Kira
Skills:
2 Miner
2 Furnace Operator
2 Armorsmith
2 Mason
2 Metalcrafter

Equipment:
1 Copper Pick
25 Drink
As many turtles as possible

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »

It will work with the force of my will, assuming there is interest in it.
I guess there is interest in it, considering how quickly it got a lot of replies...

How it would work is literally locking dwarves inside fortresses, hence why the need for flat land, to make it all fairly uniform what available stuff is there for dwarves.
Each Dwarf would get 1 Copper pick, 1 Barrel of turtle(10 turtles){Unless another type of 2 cost food is requested}, 2 Barrels of Alcohol(10 units){Will be based on dwarf's food preference}, 5 Plump Helmet Spawn(Or other seeds/seed mix if requested) and 200 points to spend on other items/dwarf skills.
(For reference, a level 1 skill costs 5, a max level skill costs 5+6+7+8+9=35)

I will add a magma vent as well, but nothing more special then that, since I cannot be sure to distribute special stuff evenly and still keep the individual fortresses separate. The "available Fortress Area" would be a 68x68 square, ensuring nobody's fortress would mess with another's.
Fortress stuff wouldn't get built without submitted designs, which you'd have to trust to survive for 2 months by it's self(Either in images or in text.)
As for outdoor area, I would be willing to make your 1st level a giant open-air pit, but don't trust that to be done quickly, as anyone who has safely excavated a 68x68 area with trees and other crap can attest to.
I'm pretty sure I will sell captured enemies for release on other forts, providing the conflict, but that whole system isn't thought out yet.

Player additions beyond the 6 fortresses 'claiming' a dwarf would have to take it up with the lead of each fort. I can adjust timescales as well, we could run a year at a time, a month at a time, and do updates daily up to monthly. All I ask is that there be interest if I actually do this, because I don't want to do it if I am only doing it for me.

(If I do it, these will be the leads:
Mulch Diggums with Mulch Diggums
Akroma with Akroma
DoctrZombie with Mekali
Istrian with Istrian
AlmostEverywhere with Cobbles the builder
THLawrence with Kira
)

So, is everyone still up for it? If so, this would be the location-

The fortress name would be Rėrithnicat Geshud Zarut (ChaosChain the Fortress of Insanity) and the Group name would be Torish Geshud (Crowns of Fortresses)

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

Is there room for one more? Noooooooo!

If there is, though:

GeneralValter
2 Spearman
2 Shield User
2 weaponsmith
2 mason
2 carpenter

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

I'll claim any immigrant provided he/she has a dour enough personality. Reserved, pessimistic and such. Name him/her Svartamyrkur.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

200 points you say ? Can you ditch the copper pick, alcohol, turtles and seeds for me ? I'd rather take an axe (if I remember well, the only option is a steel axe for 300 points right, and I'm not even sure that makes the right amount). I guess I'll have to go skill-less.

I think a seasonal schedule should be fine at first. My occupations for the first cycle : gathering all plants within my fortress, brewing them and cooking whatever remains. Chop wood when necessary.

How are you going to divide the magma and water ?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 06:11:00 pm »

Each fortress has 4 tiles seperating them. I plan to make 1 z-level a river inlet, and one a lava inlet. How you guys deal with the pressurized intake of fluids is up to you based on your fortress designs.

An axe will do little good, since there is no access to the surface for the 6 fortresses, until they dig a pit out for themselves that is. Each Fortress will start out looking like this(centered dead center in their area)-

code:

G     = Bridge   + = Ground
<,>,X = Stairs   . = Space
O     = wall     T = Door over ground
z+1:       z-0:       z-1:
........   ++++++++   OOOOOOOO
........   +......+   O++++++O
...>....   +..X...+   O++<+++O
..++++..   +.OOOO.+   O+O++O+O
..+.....   +.OGGTG+   O++++++O
..++++..   +.OOOO.+   O+O++O+O
........   +......+   O++++++O
........   ++++++++   OOOOOOOO

This allows for a transfer of goods between the different groups. A structure similar to this will always be there to send migrants/goods down to each fortress and a place for goods to be sent up.

But, as a result, an axe will not be useful until after a ton of mining has been done. That isn't to say you can't get one. There are 5 other groups you can beg/borrow points from. I'm sure in exchange for future goods from your fortress one might be willing to deal.

(Edit: FYI, mining pick is mandatory. Getting rid of alcohol, turtles and seeds, besides probably dooming you to starvation, gives you (2*10)+(2*10)+(5*1) or 45 points. Even counting the pick mandatory points(20), you don't get enough starting goods for an axe.

[ April 10, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

The DF Commander tool works well for establishing the fortresses to your specifications. I recommend it's use. Just give me the code, and then I don't have to worry about doing it myself and missing some critical junction.

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

All right then, I'll go with the normal equipment plus :
50 x Meat     = 100
50 x Alcohol  = 100
Total         = 200

And an unskilled peasant, obviously.

As for the fort layout, I don't understand quite well how your entrance design works, but if I'm not mistaken, we are supposed to start digging at level z-1, right ?

Here's my "death wish" :

code:

G     = Bridge   + = Ground             # = Farm
<,>,X = Stairs   . = Space              = = Stockpile
O     = wall     T = Door over ground   W = Workshop
    z-1:
          OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
          O=================O
     OOOO O=======3=========O
   OOO>>OOO=================OOOO
   O++++++O+++++++++++++++++O==OOOO
  OO++<+++O++OOOOOOOOOOOOO++O++O##O
  +++O++O+++++++++++++++++++++++##O
(2)++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++##O
  OO+O++O+OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO+++OOOO##O
   O++++++O       OWWW+=======+OOOOO
   OOO++OOO       OWWW+=======++++O
     OOOO         OWWW+===1===+WWWO
                  O++++=======+WWWO
                  OOOO+=======+WWWO
                     O++++++++++++O
                     OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The small stockpile closest to the farms is a seed-only stockpile. The large (1) stockpile is for every other foodstuff (except drinks), the last stockpile (3) is for booze only. The right-most workshop is a still, the other a kitchen.

My plan for the first period :
- Farm plump helmets
- Fill booze&food stockpiles
- When/if both objectives are achieved, start mining my whole z-1 level starting at point (2) (the objective being : collapsing the roof everywhere, except around the entrance, to generate a tree farm.

BTW, on which side of my mini-fort would the water inlet be ?
As far as I understand our forts are physically isolated from the outside. Does that mean that no invader/thief will be able to enter ?

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Istrian ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13