Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)  (Read 23275 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: Chaoschain(Hydra Fortress)
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:14:00 am »

instead of the 10 turtles, I request 10 different kinds of meat/fish, for the extra barrels

also, I claim at least 2 immigrants for farming

place my fortress near the magma vent, the forges will need them

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 06:48:00 am »

code:
~ = grass
[] = bridge
|,- = walls
+ = floors
. = channle
zlevel-0
~~~~~~|-----|
~.....|+++++|
~[][][]++>++|
~[][][]++>++|
~.....|+++++|
~~~~~~|-----|

Zlevel-(-1 through -5)
XX
XX

Zlevel - (-6)[SIDE VIEW + ARE WALLS]
                    |---------------|
|-----XX-----|       |Bone Storage   |
|+++++XX+++++|       |------>>-------|
|+++++XX+++++|       |LeatherStorage |
|+++++XX+++++--------|------XX-------|
|+++++<<+++++++++++++++Work+<<+shop++|
|-------------------------------------

Zlevel-0
The entrance to the fort will be a stair case inside a building with a draw bridge. Under and around the draw bridge there will be a moat that I might fill with stuff later.

Zlevel-(-1 through - 5)
The stairs will go down for a few levels into the future entrance hall to the fortess, later on this area will be expanded for defense.

Zlevel-(-6)
The grand entrance hall will have stairs going down 4 z levels to the floor. On the walls will be beautifull carvings depicting all the wonderfull things my fort shall make. On the floor will either be a fountain (if water presure works the way I think it does in this game) or a mosaic dipicting my fortresses symbol. A tunnle leading away from the entrance hall will lead to my workshop. There will be a stair case leading up one level to the leather storing area, and from there a stair case one level up leading to the bone storage area. Put a stock pile for food in the main entrance hall untill I decide where to put my other storage things. Also set that area as a meeting hall.

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Mulch Diggums ]

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Mulch Diggums ]

ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.playingdeadcomic.com
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 07:17:00 am »

Phew..uh, ok, This is a little more complicated than the rest of the community forts, but here goes =D

For my 200 starting points... Max out Farming for 35, and put 4 levels into mining for a cost of 26. Give me 2 levels in Mason and Mechanics for 22.
That costs 48+35=83. Give me 2 dogs and 1 cat, 5 plump helmets, 1 cloth rope, 4 more plump helmet spawn, an extra copper pick, and whatever is left in booze.

I'll come up with a starting design later =D

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

AlmostEverywhere

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 08:54:00 am »

Okay, 200 points... Cobbles will be a master of all things stoney!

2x Miner
2x Mason
2x Stone Crafter
2x Mechanic
2x Glassmaker

We can set up trading between fortresses, right?  If so, I'd like to mention that once I'm dug in, I'll be making stone furniture off the bat, and I'll gladly trade obsidian doors/chairs/tables/coffers/cabinets for booze, food, bins/bed/buckets, and cloth (I need a rope to tie up my doggy).

Later in the game, can we make deals about building stuff for each other for prices, or will that get too complicated? ("I'll build a wall around your fortress with a bridge and a trapped entrance for 5000 monies").  If we can, put 2 points into Building designer instead of glassmaker for me.

As for iterms, I guess I'm mainly taking stuff to avoid starvation:

4x horse meat, 5x mule meat, 5x rum, 4x ale, 2x mule leather, 2x pig tail thread, 10x tower-cap logs, 5x pig tail seeds, 5x plump helmet spawn, 1x war dog.

okay, from what I understand, we're supposed to start digging on z-1, so I'll do this:

code:

z-1        
OOOOOOOO
O++++++O
O++<+++O
O+O++O+O
O++++++O
O+O++O+O
O++++++O
OOO++OOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO
 O++O   O####++#####O
 O++O   O####++#####O
 O++O   O####++#####O
 O>>O   O####++#####O
 OOOOOOOOOOOO>>OOOOOO
            OOOO
z-2
               OOOOOOOOO
               O+++++++O
               O+++++++O
               O+++++++O
               O+++++++O
 OOOO          O+++++++O
 O<<O       OOOOTOOOOOOO
 O++OOOOOOOOO<<O+OOO
 O++++++++++T++++>>O
 O++++++++++T++++>>O
 OOOOOOOOOOOO++OOOOO
       O++++O++O    
       O+++++++O
       O++++OOOO
       OOOOOO

That lower room will become my bedroom, the northern room will be the dining room, and the #'s should be split up into stockpiles for food, cloth/thread/leather, and wood (split them up however you want).  Beneath that square of 4 down stairs, please make up/down stairs, and continue that 4-tile shaft until you get to the level of obsidian.  There, dig out:

code:

Obsidian level:

#:Furniture stockpile
$:Finished goods stockpile

OOOOOOOOOOOO
O++++XX####O
O++++XX####O
O++++++####O
O++++++$$$$O
O++++OO$$$$O
O++++OO$$$$O
OOOOOOOOOOOO

Build a mason's workshop in the upper-left corner of this room and a craftsdwarf's shop in the lower-left.  That oughta keep me busy for the first season! (If I actually finish all that mining in the first season, start making chairs, tables, and doors from the masonry).

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2008, 09:29:00 am »

200 points hmmm...

but but, the anvil already costs 1000

I guess I will have to trade for it then

The layout doesn't matter, but the plan goes the following:
buy booze for 150 points and assorted food for 50 points, so that Akroma will not have to farm or brew for anything untill migrants arrive that can do that for him

he will spent most of the year making stone crafts, as well as a few bins to make trading them easier. Once the caravan comes, I claim the anvil. If no anvil is on the first caravan, keep the trade goods (should be enough to buy an anvil by now) and let Akroma dig out rooms for 4-6 immigrants (depending on how many come in the first wave and how many each head gets) and let him smooth and engrave most of his fort. If buy the end of winter no migrants arrived, let him farm some stuff (he should have seeds from the food he ate, if not, let him gather plants)

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

Yes, Z Level -1 is where it begins. Submitted fortress designs will begin there, starting with the model I have provided. Mulch Diggums, here is the screenshots for how I interpreted  your fortress, only the bottom level, top level, and 'intermediate' levels, based on how I saw it. I have automated it into DF Commander if you want that code to play with.

;)

Also, if you need your design not centered, let me know now, otherwise you only have 34 to go in each direction from the center of that 6x6 square as shown. I can put that box anywhere in your 68x68 area though, if you need it in a custom place.

Akroma has chosen no design for the time being. Poor Akroma. Bins cost wood, stone crafts cost stone. That means you need wood to make bins, and need to dig down to get stone. I believe the sand goes down 4 z levels. A Simple "Stair down 4 Z-levels and dig out an #x# room counts as a fortress design you know  ;)

Waiting on the designs of THLawrence and DoctrZombie. All the goods has been setup, when I get back from the prenatal appointment sometime this afternoon, I will be starting it. The game will begin running as soon as I get the initial designs from DoctrZombie and ThLawrence. If I don't have it in 2 days, I'll go ahead and continue anyway and they will be like Akroma, sitting out in the rain.
Guys, I don't even mine you for stone unless you give me ways to mine for stone. It's not my fortress, it's yours as dictated. Like I mentioned earlier, Dwarf Fortress Commander works great for this.
For example, here is the entire bottom level of Mulch Diggum's fort(from where the intermediate levels end):
d {ENTER} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {ENTER} u {UP} {LEFT} {LEFT} {ENTER} {UP} {ENTER} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} d {ENTER} {DOWN} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {ENTER} {RIGHT} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {ENTER} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {RIGHT} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {DOWN} {ENTER} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {UP} {LEFT} {LEFT} {LEFT} {LEFT} {LEFT} {LEFT} {LEFT} j {ENTER} {UP} {ENTER}
Though Screenshots work as well, and so does ASCII code.

AlmostEverywhere, you can only trade things you can throw down to the traders. As a result, constructions for others can't be done, Sorry.

*NOTE* At the top, the Currency specified, it is points/stored value of items that are traded. Any points remaining will be transfered directly to your trade currency, since 200 can get you so much from a trader...  ;)

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

*lots of bitching and groaning*

do I haaaave to experiment around like a zombie with my limited ASCII knowledge to put up a string of  .. and --- to design something ?

with that I step back from my position as a fort leader. If you are going to punish every bit of lazyness with a wide grin and dwarf torture instead of a bit "just-build-some-basic-stuff" I don't want to do this.

in community fortresses the ones who sign up usually just give you some basic ideas on what you could do, they don't play the game for you
if I wanted that, i would just click on DwarfFortress.exe and play it myself

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 11:31:00 am »

You don't have to do ascii, but since I am going to be tracking 6 fortresses, I want more then "Build something for me". A simple "Make a long hallway with 4 3x3 rooms" would be acceptable. Right now, the command I would apply to your fortress would be "dig out rooms for 4-6 immigrants". That means you will get, on the side of the walls, 4-6 2x2 rooms, sometime when convenient but "before the first caravan arrives"

This community fortress is different then the others. If you want to back out, I won't stop you.

Anyone want to take over Akroma's spot?

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 11:50:00 am »

I could fill in, but don't be surprised if you don't hear from me too often.

Have you already embarked? If so, what supplies does the open slot currently have?

Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

Ok, let me try to make a good ascii fort, or at least give you a close idea of what I'm looking for... I'm drawing this out on graph paper so hopefully I won't make too many mistakes =P

unfortunately I'm at lunch at work, so I only have 30 mins to design a fort and post it...

z-1  - F is for FARM, W is for Wood Stockpile, S Seed Stockpile, K = carpentry shop. _ is a channel.

I realise I don't have access to wood yet. In fact, it was actually rather stupid of me not to bring any along. bah! Maybe I could get a plank from the wagon? =P

code:

OOOOOOOO
          O......O
          O..<...O
          O.O..O.O
          O......O
          O.O..O.O
          O......O
          O......O
        OOOOO..OOOOO
OOOOO    OFFFO..OKKKO
O...O    OFFFO..OKKKO
O._.OOOOOOFFFO..OKKKO
O................WWWO
OO>OOOOOOOSSSO..OWWWO
OOO     OOOOO>>OOOOO
            OOOO      

Z-2
the . tunnel should be dug to the water--  this 3x3 room is directly beneth the channel above (what will become my well)

I will be as explicit as possible about my instructions here...
Do not breach into the water until I have all the equipment in place that I need to be sure I won't flood my fortress.
1: Provided the water will NOT rise up and flood the z-1 level, this setup is fine and dosn't need any more equipment. I beleive this would put the "7 deep" water flow at z-2, which I think you said it is at z-1? That would cause it to flood up the channel and flood my z-1 level I believe..

If that's the case and I understand the fluid dynamics correctly, I will need to build a floodgate at the exit to the 3X3 room linked to two pressure plates. Pressure plate #1 will be at position A. It is set to trigger when the water level reaches 7. It is set to trigger the floodgate. Pressure plate 2 will be at B. It is set to trigger when the water level is below 3. It is set to trigger the floodgate.

If I have done this correctly one trigger will snap when the room is flooding (7 water), and the other will snap when the room is drying up(3 or less). I really should try this from home but as I said I'm at work =p

As for the rest of z-2... D represents a food stockpile, G represents a finished goods stockpile.

code:

OOOO
             O>>O
        OOOOOO..OOOOOO
OOOOO   ODDDDO..OGGGGO
OO...O   ODDDDO..OGGGGO
..AB.O   ODDDD....GGGGO
OO...O   ODDDDO..OGGGGO
OO<OOOOOOOOOOO..OOOOOO
 OOO         O<<O
             OOOO

The stairs down here lead directly to the first stone layer. From there I want a 2X10 hallway back south, with 2 2X2 bedrooms branching off from it. Stairs down at the end of the hall.
code:

stone level #1

OOOOOOOOOO
   O..O<<O..O
   O..X..X..O
   OOOO..OOOO
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O..O
      O>>O
      OOOO

On the level below I want a large hollowed out area..make it 6X6, with a mason and craft shop set up along one side and stone stockpile filling up the other half.

EDIT: oops broke the page =D

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: DoctrZombie ]

DoctrZombie has been happy lately. He admired a masterwork poorly drawn webcomic lately.He wrote about a community fortress recently.

DoctrZombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Web-Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

Once the fortress has been dug out, I'd like to plant that field with plump helmets year round. I know I mentioned it before but It needs re-mentioning (;< I assume you don't need tasks for anything beyond construction yet?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

Haven't embarked yet, I will be doing so in about an hour. If the fortress designs are done, I will also run the first season.

(Edit: I don't expect even the fortress digging done by the end of the first season, but nothing wrong in being prepared I will track/monitor/execute as instructed. If your guy is dedicated and finishes it quick, better to have something in reserve so he can keep working, right?)

(Edit2:
GeneralValter has priority, so unless he says he don't want it, he's taking over for Akroma. Boksi is next in line, then you Impending Doom)

[ April 11, 2008: Message edited by: Kogan Loloklam ]

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Alright, fine by me.  :)
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 06:47:00 pm »

Doctor Zombie, I cannot put more then 10 levels into your dwarf.

You have me doing

5x Grower
4x Mining
1X Masonry
1x Mechanics.

for a total of 11. Without further input, I will remove your mechanics level, since reaction speed/flinging strength isn't as important as high crop yields, large amounts of stone, and good quality furniture. If I was mistaken, I hope you are reading this shortly after I post it, since there is still time to correct it right now, but not for long  ;)

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »

If I can still post a request for skills/equipment then here it is:
2 Miner
2 Grower
2 Brewer
2 Mason
2 Weaponsmith

For Equipment:
5 Logs
1 Dog
The rest evenly split in food and drink. Food to be split between sweet pods and plump helmets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13