Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 19405 times)

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« on: March 26, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »

Hello you!
Since it seems courteous to have a community fort running these times I am a bit bored of those.
Don't get me wrong, I like roleplaying, but there are a bit many of em  at the moment.
Therefor I've thought about a not such worn-out challenge and got this Idea:

A Dwarf-Fortress-Tournament.

We all play it, we all know some tricks, and Im quite sure even though I saw here some
players who seem quite better than me, everybody in this forum is not able to handle ALL the aspects at the same time in this mighty game engine.
I might be disabused but the main aspect of this tournament shall be the fun,
and the hopefully amazing creations of some dwarvenartists.

Additionally we will find out, who is the best Fortress operator of the world           ;)

I suggest an easy elminationsystem

code:

| B ______|     |          |   |______ J |
|         |_______    _______|        |
| C ______     |     |    |   |    ______ K |
|      |_______|       |   |   |_______|     |
| D ______|        |   |      |______ L |
|            |_____|           |
| E ______        |   |        ______ M |
|      |_______     |   |    _______|     |
| F ______|     |     |   |   |   |______ N |
|         |_______|   |_______|        |
| G ______     |         |    ______ O |
|        |_______|         |_______|     |
| H ______|               |______ P |
|                       |
|_________________________________________________________|

if more people want to participate we will probably have a group-round (think of worldcupsoccer),
this system holds just 26. :P
But first we have to see, whether anybody is interested at all.

Rules are simple:
no cheating, no mods, no rawchanges, actual version.
If a new version comes out while the tournament is running the jury will make a decision,
but ALL THE TIME everybody has to use the same version just because of an equal evaluation for everybody.

how it works:
the two neighbored players in the scheme have to fight. The player who has more points at the end of a defined timespan will proceed.

It's notmal that every combatant fights fair, don't using dirty tricks like drowning caravans, for easy access to goods n stuff.
A point I'm quite unsure about is the lenght of a match, I think 5 ingameyears might probably be a good timespan.
The startlocation swill be picked and sent by the jury to both combatants.
Every pair get it's own location, both players the same. A single world will be used for the whole tournament. (some clones too to increase progress)
This means that at the end we will have at least two worlds with all the fortresses of one side of the tournament,
to make sure this unique gigantic event will never be forgotten.           ;)
...and some people might have some nice adventures in a world full of attractions.

First we have to build a jury.
Needless to say I'm the first member of the jury, cause I called the challenge.
This why I will not participate actively.
Participation in the jury is welcome, the more the merrier.
The jury will make the decisions about banning people from tournament, evaluate the winner, pick the maps for the matches, build the matches buy drawing by lot and so on.

Evaluation of the winner
We all know running a fortress has many aspects, therefore there are many aspects too to find out who's the better Operator.
I've made an example of a calculationsystem, it's not engraved in stone yet, just a first suggestion.

Productivity
overall wealth comes mostly from artifacts, moods are nearly random, because of sieges and stuff we can't count armor and others too.

Consultet for rating in the category productivity are:

code:
prepared foodstocks    for every   100    1 point
surely... BOOZE        for every   100    1 point
architecture          for every  1.000 ☼   1 point
Furniture      for every 10.000 ☼   1 point
other objects      for every 10.000 ☼   1 point
artifacts      for every    max 10   1 point cause luck counts sometimes too

Military
Theres quite a bunch of really militaristic players here, so I think tournament would focus on military if the rules are not set nicely.
To make sure not every dwarf get draftet at the end of a players turn, recruits doens't count, and there are some additional restrictions.
Dwarfs are SURELY not the mainpart of a defense, traps do count too. I would suggest to give a point for every ten caged goblins, but that would be too much luck.           ;)

Consultet for rating in the category military are:

code:

proficients   for every   10 points
masters      for every   20 points
champions   for every   25 points
leg. siege op.   for every   20 points max 5
traps      for every 20    1 points

Stonefalltraps don't count.
Recruits don't count.
Wrestling don't count.
If a soldiers is a siege op too, the better pointrate counts.
To count a Soldier must wear a full set of armor, a weapon, a backpack and a waterskin.
The material of the armor does not matter.

Economy
Yeah I know... I will get flamed for this, but nobles are a worthy part of the game too though :P
for every satisfied noble with a royal bedroom, diningroom, throneroom and tomb 30 points
1 point for every dwarf in the fortress.
-1 point for every dead dwarf.

Additional Rewards
The winners in this categories will be evaluated by vote of the jury or simple math.

Engineering
This wouldn't be a real Dwarven Fortress Contest without an engineering challenge, would it?
For every 1000 units of delivered and used power 10 points
I don't care whereto you're pumping the water...

Master of Puppies
The player who ownes the most kittens will be regarded with a point for every full dozen and a free packet of litter.
(evaluated in every match)

Legendary Torturer
The player who creates the most innovative and creative deathtrap (doesn't really matter whether its fo your citizens or intruders)
will be rewarded with a fell mood and an extraportion of backslapping and honor at the end of the tournament
probably rewarded too in every match with 10 points.

holy carp!
The winner will be the Person who builds the most impressive 3D-model of any item in the game
counts for every match with 10 points.

Engraver of the week
I'm a big fan of pixelart made out of all the different coloured stones and metals,
I think many other too, so this is an extracontest beside the architectural contest.
counts too for every match with 10 points.

That's enough for the first post.
Hopefully anyone may read the thread           ;)
Write me a PM If i made a horrible mistake anywhere, I'm a bit uncertain about the grammar at some points.

waiting for your registration
Tigerbunny

update: new rules in short form on page 3

[ April 19, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

Participants until now:
code:

I3erent
Torak
Boksi
peguinofhonor
GeneralValter
nahkh
Alaern
Toaster
Lucid_Archon
Jamini
Abyss
Oracle
PTTG??
Sowelu  
Riemann

the Jury: (12 is probably a nice number)

code:

Tigerbunny
Lemnx
Akroma
Kagus
Metal Chao
ChaosTheory

[ April 13, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »

Hmmm... those are mighty difficult requirements... All the more fun...

I will volunteer my time as a juror. First suggestion:

Make the starting map difficult. Maybe a haunted glacier? *Tips hat to Nist Akath*

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

I thought about starting fairly easy, and make it more difficult as it progresses.
The final operationbattle will then take place in a sinister glacial island in a haunted saltwater ocean with giant eagles... or something similar.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 09:36:00 pm »

Alternately, it could also be pretty cool if winners kept their fortress from one match to the next, and were only awarded points for improvements since the last update. (Ie. Total Fortress Score - Previous Matches' Scores = This Match's Score) You'd have some seriously epic fortresses by the finals, since they'd be twenty to thirty years old.

You could also allow different start points and award bonus points or a score multiplier for difficult starting locations or something.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 09:40:00 pm »

Sure, why not.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:41:00 am »

I'd like to join as a contestant if possible......
quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bigmcstrongmuscle:
<STRONG>Alternately, it could also be pretty cool if winners kept their fortress from one match to the next ... You'd have some seriously epic fortresses by the finals, since they'd be twenty to thirty years old.</STRONG>

Sure, those fortresses would be amazing, but then the challenge of adaptation to different startinglocations and the fun reading the diarys reporting of epic fail of some of the operators would be obsolete.

A reason why I offered such a calculationsystem was the sheer amount of people in the suggestionsforum seeming underemployed or unsatisfied, probably because they have played too much   ;)
Sure, building epic stuff and so on is nice, but remember the impressive already developed part which offers enough options, the problem is the adapted to effectiveness playstile. You dont have to kill the nobles for example

I'm just curious how different people handle all the basics at the same time.

those Questions needs to be discussed:
Would ten years matchtime be better?
Adjustsuggestions to the points are welcome
For example should the subcontests be rewarded with more points?

I don't want to reward the best processors, so the amount of cats, dwarfs or flowing liquid should not make the win though... Equal chances for everybody.
  :roll:

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 04:48:00 am »

maybe you should include the biomes of the starting region somewhere in the calculation

No magma: 50 Points
No Chasm: 10 Points
Aquifer : 20 Points
Aquifer in a freezing biome: 10 Points
Multi-level-aquifer: 30 Points

Evil alligned starting biome: 10 points
Has a cave: 10 points
with a megabeast: 20 points
GCS:10 points each
Goblin fort: 50 points

No wood: 40 points
No running water: 40 points
No water at all: 50 points
No Soil : 10 points
No trade with elves: 10 points
No trade with humans: 20 points

That's all I can think of for now, feel free to tweak the points as you see fit
Also, how many years do you have ?

That being said, i want to be in the Jury

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52:00 am »

Since the jury picks the same location for both players for the matches, why shall they get points for it?

Youre in, I hoped you say so.     :)

quote:
Also, how many years do you have ?

excuse me? At the moment I say 5, but I'm not certain

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

Eh. Count me in too, as a contestant.

I assume you mean five game years, right? Well, it's a nice number. Another nice number is seven, and so is eleven.

Why are they nice? Well, they're prime numbers, which'll probably annoy at least one of the OCD personalities around here to no end, because they won't be able to nicely divide their fortress' history into any appreciable fractions other than the number itself. And I'm sure someone thinks having five instead of four sections is just plain ugly and bugging.

PS: No magma and no trees should give a far bigger point bonus than 90, even if it is a quite large bonus. With magma you can make metal bins, and wood can be made into charcoal to fuel furnaces, so they're able to do things the other one can do as well. Except for beds.

EDIT: What about if we had both games where both contestants have the same starting location(no location bonus), and also games where they choose their own(location bonus).

Also, Nist Akath was built on a tundra I believe.

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Boksi ]

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

hey I have a real OCD too tho :P
Its quite an issue. Once I've nearly destroyed my whole fort because I was so disturbed of not-main-stone forcing my perfectly symmetrically building to make a break. Half the population died in some caveins but I managed it to clear out those filthy jet and gypsum clusters. NOW ITS ALL CHALK HARRRRR.
But 7 years would be really cool. If you want to really disturb OCD's forbid symmetric roomstructures.

Akromas suggestion would be nice if everybody get its own map, but this will not gonna happen  :(

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 06:03:00 pm »

quote:
To count a Soldier must wear a full set of armor, a weapon, a backpack and a waterskin.

No. Backpacks and waterskins should be optional, because some of us let our military eat like the rest of the people.

quote:
Wrestling don't count.

Wrestlers should count, but give less points. For instance:

Master Wrestlers: 10 Points
Wrestling Champions: 20 Points

So they'd be worth 10 less than regular soldiers.

I'll be a contestant, anyways.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

How will the playing be split up? We should keep only two players going at one time, so that this thread doesn't explode from random log-posts. If we're doing a two-at-a-time schedule, you could count me in. I can't play right now, but this really intrigues me.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:16:00 am »

Yeah I planned a two-at-a-time method.

I suggested Wrestlers not to count, cause its normal behaviour to train your soldiers in wrestling first, before the get any weapons.
To get a proficient Wrestler is quite easy, to get a master would take about, let us say 4 years of training.
Keeping this in mind you would get an enormous pointrate for a fort with 100 dwarfs focussing on military if you calculate through it. And I'm sure some players are willing to win, and will try it the easiest way.
for example:
~100 dwarfs lemme say 10 are not militaristic because of life support
so we would have 90 military dwarfs. 90 masterwrestlers would count for 900 points, and this is not a such unlikely scenario.
It would be an unrealistic amount of food to get the same points, so everybody would be forced to play militaristic.

As you can see there is a need for some complications for the military.
I'm not really willing actually to delete waterskins and backpacks, but I will if you convince me.

/edit: made some pointadjustments

[ March 28, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16