Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 19404 times)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 05:29:00 am »

well, I can't honestly say I have EVER used waterskins or backpacks, and I think I am not the only one who goes that way.
A champion is a champion, even without a waterskin

waterskins and backpacks should each add another 5 points, but the soldier should be counted regardless

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 06:13:00 am »

Backpacks are half-useful, waterskins are not.  I don't think they should count.

I might be interested in a position on the jury.  I'm mostly concerned with the style and cleanliness of a fort, so my opinions will most likely be biased in those areas.  There are certain aspects of inner production that interest me, or plain ol' feats of amazing-ness, but again, most of these are concerned with style.  For instance, sweet pod syrup.  It's less effective than rum, there's no point in making it, but it's just cool.

Oh, bonus points for someone who makes dwarven Qurry.  I think that sort of thing deserves it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

Sure, why not- I'll sign up as a player.  I'll probably get knocked out in the first round, but who cares?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 05:37:00 am »

Ah, 5 years to build a beauty. Sure, count me in.
Just for kicks, how about giving contestants a special task from the jury every round and awarding bonus points depending on how well it's done? "A waterfall 10 drops high" for example.

Metal Chao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

I'd like to join as an entrant but I usually end up being too lazy to keep these things going.

I'd like to be a judge though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 06:15:00 am »

Interesting project. Not that I can participate though...  :(

I'd still like to point out that "registrate" sounds like a doctrine of some kind. The proper word is "register".  :p

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 06:27:00 am »

I'll participate (even if the rules seem overly convoluted, but hey, that's the jurys problem not mine XD).

Glorious deathtraps here we come ^^

EDIT: Oh and I have a suggestion too. If you want to be able to use the same fortress repeatedly during the contest, I would suggest that every player is given the same starting location. Fair all around, maybe a bit more boring for the jury.

Also, if you want to make it a real challenge you could divide the points into different categories (say economy, military, infrastructure, glorious projects?) and give final points according to the _lowest_ category. That way people would have to make more balanced fortresses. Albeit this isn't the best time to change the rules  :D

[ March 29, 2008: Message edited by: nahkh ]

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 06:29:00 am »

I think the point of adding waterskins and backpacks is to make sure you just don't take an all-military route. It's so that you don't switch almost all of your dwarves to military to try to get more points. This way you have to have extra dwarves to make the equipment. It's not hard to get a leather skin waterskin done.
quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

First: Thanks for for the correction Sean.

The vecancies are filling, nice nice.
The rules arent convoluted :P
I just wanted to make sure to hit the most common playstyles.

quote:
Oh and I have a suggestion too. If you want to be able to use the same fortress repeatedly during the contest, I would suggest that every player is given the same starting location. Fair all around, maybe a bit more boring for the jury.

How does it come, that so many people get it wrong? My post wasn't THAT missunderstoodingly.  :roll:

Same Worldgen for the whole tournament
Same startlocations for both contestants in a match
Probably same startlocations for all contestants in one level of the tournament.
(like location 1 for quarterfinals, location 2 for semifinals, location 3 for final)
Because of all the eliminations there are 2 worlds at the end which were equal at the beginning, having fortresses from the start till the final.
Easy to handle and imho quite interesting for adventuremode.

got it? :P

Nice suggestion @ the special task though, what do the other jurors think?

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 09:51:00 am »

what special task ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Alaern:
<STRONG>Just for kicks, how about giving contestants a special task from the jury every round and awarding bonus points depending on how well it's done? "A waterfall 10 drops high" for example.</STRONG>

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 10:10:00 am »

sounds like a nice idea

we should decide on these tasks after deciding on the map tho

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

Looking good.

Now we have to set up the rules for the competition. Deadlines and the like. How long would we wait for somebody to report before they lose by default?

And how would we evaluate the Forts? (I forget the website where you can have your maps set as images to be viewed.)

..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Evaluation via rapidshare n stuff... I think everybody might be able to upload some megabytes.
Every juror get the matchfiles, say two fortresses, and then we will start the mathematics and discuss about open questions.
there are really enough Communicationtools, PM, IRC, email and so on.

Umm deadlines. I would suggest one match per weekend. If we do not get the file of a contestant until the next wednessday, he loses. Thursday to Friday is enough time to evaluate the winner.
The site where you can upload your image is the dwarffortressmaparchive (dfma), just use the searchtool.   ;)

But 8 contestants are quite few. It could take a time till we have some more, like 16, but it would be worth it imo. So what do you say? start now, or wait for the contest growing?

I'll send you some map-suggestions via PM tomorrow jurors   ;)

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: Tigerbunny ]

Lucid_Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »

Wait! I'm not too late to sign up, am I? I just had the sudden overwhelming urge to be schooled by my DF superiors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16