Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started  (Read 19401 times)

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: the Dwarven Tournament - 1 round has started
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

*ahem*

I'd like to recommend the dwarf fortress file depot for file dumping. It's got a lot of potential, and I'd like to see it expand more.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/index.php

Also, I'm pretty amateur at DF myself, Lucid. We can both get schooled together!  :D

[ March 30, 2008: Message edited by: GeneralValter ]

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tigerbunny:
<STRONG>Umm deadlines. I would suggest one match per weekend. If we do not get the file of a contestant until the next wednessday, he loses. Thursday to Friday is enough time to evaluate the winner.</STRONG>

... 5 days for 5 years of dwarf mode?? Some of us have lives, you know.

Lemnx

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding Cheese
    • View Profile
    • Lem_Nx
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 07:06:00 pm »

How about before starting a real tournament we have a test run? one match to just see if our process works at all.
..."I bumped Nist Akath and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"...

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 10:48:00 pm »

I'll give this a shot. Count me in if this ever gets off the ground.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Snugglebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

I've got a couple of suggestions:

1: Textfile logs included with the zipped versions of fortresses for judging.  The most entertaining one might be worth some points.

2: Artifacts may not be terribly controllable, but if you've got the same starting locations the materials involved should be more or less equal.  "Most Valuable Artifact" ought to be worth some points too.

"Engraved on the wall is an exceptionally-designed image of a dragon and a dwarf by Ber Ilavuz.  The dragon is making a plaintive gesture.  The dwarf is striking a menacing pose."

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 10:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Snugglebear:
<STRONG>
1: Textfile logs included with the zipped versions of fortresses for judging.  The most entertaining one might be worth some points.</STRONG>

Far as I am concerned, running a fortress has little to nothing to do with writing a nifty journal.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 11:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>... 5 days for 5 years of dwarf mode?? Some of us have lives, you know.</STRONG>

Running on 80 fps, an ingameyear would take... an hour?
I'm sorry, I've thought everybody is so computeraddicted like me, so what would you suggest then?

Lucid youre in, Jamini too.

quote:
Originally posted by Snugglebear:
<STRONG>I've got a couple of suggestions:
1: Textfile logs included with the zipped versions of fortresses for judging.  The most entertaining one might be worth some points.
</STRONG>

You mean the log.file, which is activated by ?
I'm sure we would hardly find any funny stuff  between a puppy growed up to become a dog and Zod Koganotil canceled harvest, sleep.
One the other hand its quite an effort to search through 30 000 lines of text... per player.

Nice Idea Valter, I think we'll give it a try
Nice Idea too though Lemnx, we'll give it  try too.

I'll have a look for a nice seed now, you'll get PMs later.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »

I vote for seed 42. Bonus points to anyone who finds the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tigerbunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

too many rejections  :p

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

Perhaps the sites we play on will be of increasing difficulty, going something like as follows:

Round 1: Running water, Magma, Sand, Trees, Calm or Benign Biome.
Round 2: Running water, No magma, aquifer, even odds on sand, Trees, Savage biome or a Lake/River
Round 3: Warm (not temprate or cold.) wasteland, aquifer (multi-level?), no sand, no magma, Terrifying, Savage, or Haunted biome, may or may not have running water.
Round 4: Terrifying tundra with no magma, no aquifer, no vegitation, and a set starting package. (or a limit on logs). Bonus points if it's bordering an evil artic ocean! No running water.

Each site would prove the ability of each player to handle a fortress in a differing terrain, wheedling out the weaker playes early and leaving only the most effective leaders to face down in a setting very much like Nist Ankh. Round  3 would be particularily brutal since working though an aquifer is exceptionally difficult if the damn thing doesn't freeze.

Again, this is just an idea being tossed out there. Take what you will from it.

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2008, 07:02:00 am »

Tundras are too common, I say scorching desert for the final task.  The colder reaches have been played up a bit too much as of late, it's time for the burning sands to take the stage.

GeneralValter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 08:59:00 am »

If we go scorching desert, we need it to be haunted or terrifying. zombie giant scorpians for the win.

Or we could go with a terrifying mountain range, to mix things up with the local Giant Eagles.

quot;I guess all of the fairy tales were about people having their crap stolen." -Toady One

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

I'd like to be a a contestant here, please.

ChaosTheory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:00 pm »

Sign me up for judging.  I have a lot of stuff to do for the next month, so there's no way I can run a fortress, but I'd still like to participate.
quot;Sinister, it''s like diet evil" - Sinnyil
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16