Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swordsdwarf causing havoc  (Read 477 times)

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
Swordsdwarf causing havoc
« on: August 10, 2006, 04:20:00 am »

I got a Swordsdwarf with a first wave of migrants. He was the only army guy in my fortress and I made him patrolling outdoor areas. Then, a crocodile emerged in the underground river so I sent him there. However another dwarf killed the croc before he arrived so I stationed him somewhere in the fortress. After some time I noticed him growing increasingly unhappy. I sent him patrolling again. After some time he threw a tantrum, destroyed a building and then started hitting people. So, my fortress degenerated into madness. The question is, how to keep army happy and how un-station a squad so they could do what they want?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Swordsdwarf causing havoc
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 05:11:00 am »

Go into the [m]ilitary screen.  Select the dwarf in question, and press [v] to view squad information.  You can change them from "on duty" to "standing down".  When a dwarf is standing down, they don't get upset about long patrols, and they will melee train in a barracks if another dwarf is available.  Training marksdwarves will fire off bolts at archery targets.  Once you get enough dwarves to handle it, you can have them do patrols in shifts.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »

So about how long would be a good shift for dwarfs in game time?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

They begin to grumble after a season on duty, although it's a minor thing (or it would be, if it weren't for that bug I just fixed), and each season after that it gets worse.  If your soldiers are "hard", as judged by the statement at the end of their profile, they grumble after the same amount of time but it hardly affects them.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 03:43:00 pm »

Ok that will be good to know for once I get to that point.  :)