Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A short story, with an elven greeting tower  (Read 1793 times)

Dragromblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A short story, with an elven greeting tower
« on: April 20, 2008, 09:59:00 pm »

Having finally convinced myself to join up, I decided to write a story about my dwarf, who has traveled a long time, only to end up at my current fortress and has finnaly shown how much he likes elves, by creating an elven greeting tower.

It all started a long time ago, when I lead my first fortress when the dwarven nations didn't know how to mine up and down, and still feared elephants. After many long years, and a few fortresses later, I met with my first elven diplomat. Having put up with their strict trading, and then having to put up with their diplomat's "deplomacy" I left the fortress, in an attempt to keep my sanity.

When I managed to get back to the Mountian Homes, I noticed the elves there as well. I quickly joined a caraven heading to create a new home. This was headed with new technology, one that allowed us to mine up and down as well as the usual directions. I also heard that the caraven was bringing an orb that calmed down the elephants, making them not as aggressive. Unforchently it must have transfered that aggressiveness to the nearby carp, as well learned when our only fisherdwarf walked to the rivers edge, only to fanish beneath the waves... I left, not wanting any part of this fortress with its killer carp.

This time I jumped to into a nearby human town and sneaked onto a boat headed to a new region. There I joined a dwarven caraven heading to a new fortress. It didn't last so I jumped onto another boat headed to a new region. I followed this rotine many times, as many fortress fell to the goblins and kobolds that followed those horrid elves.

Finnaly, I arrived at Litumdeler, a fortress where I am the overseer. Before heading out I made sure that 200 towercap logs were taken, to support a greeting tower, to meet the elves as they came to trade. I choose a 3 by 3 spot of heavily forested area, as I know that this tower would take lots of wood. I would first make sure that the wood would not be made into blocks, as the elves don't like wood products. They would have to go up a 3 story wooden tower, in a weaving manner, to finnaly arrive at a wooden trading depot, staring at wooden floodgates. On the other side of the floodgates is an artifical lake. With no running water, I had to get the water from the aquifier, a few layers below the soil. After 10 years, It is finnaly complete, and ready to use to greet the elves. Now they shall learn why it is wrong to bring goblins and kobolds to my fortress.

nullnullnullVideo

Here it is. Let me know if something went wrong.

[ April 21, 2008: Message edited by: Dragromblue ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000642">Glass Bed Mod, perfect for those desert maps where wood can be difficult to get.
Glass goodies abound, so now you can download my Glass Mod to get a complete co