Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortressyrups! [community]  (Read 1175 times)

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortressyrups! [community]
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:48:02 am »

Wanted to try my hand at some Dwarf Fortress storytelling, and was directed here to give it a shot.  Unfortunately I didn't start actually writing and taking screenshots until a couple of months into the game, but with immigrants coming so early now, there should be plenty of dwarfs if people are interested.  I'm definitely open to any suggestions/comments/etc.

I'm currently using the Phoebus graphic set with 0.31.02, and Dwarf Therapist 0.5.0 for labor management.

---

1st Hematite, 1051

Ushrir thinks I should keep some sort of journal of our endeavors.  I think anyone that's been sent out on this ridiculous caravan with me is questionable at best, but I suppose it makes me look busy.  Leaders are supposed to look busy, aren't they?

As for how I wound up here, it wasn't my fault, really. All I said was that I thought the baron's wife was a very homely looking dwarf.  All dwarfs are homely looking!  How was I supposed to know that her cousin runs the bar?  Pfah!  So here I find myself, exiled to the middle of nowhere, digging a hole in the mountain I'm apparently supposed to name Geshududib, which means something like "Fortresssyrups".  I think that's part of my punishment.  The real punishment is having to travel under this asinine expanse of sky in bloody Spring, though.  It's enough to drive a dwarf mad.  They'll send someone in a year, they say.  I say not bloody likely!

It doesn't look all bad, though.  The bit of mountain they've sent us to looks to have a fair bit of metal, and coal for smelting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We found some easy irrigation early on.

We've managed to dig out some storage space

and workshops. 

Ushrir and I are carving out quarters for everyone.   I just hope Erith gets that still working soon.  It's going to be a damned long year.

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortressyrups! [community]
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:16:42 pm »

5th Galena, 1051

Three more dwarfs arrived today; a fisherdwarf, a crafter and a child.  I can only assume that they are also exiled, although I can't imagine what the child has done.  Neither of the other two claims to be his parent.  We'll have to keep an eye on him.  I don't trust children under normal circumstances.

I've put the crafter, Iton, to work building a workshop for himself.  It seemed like the thing to do at the time.  Dwarfs strive for craftsdwarfship and trade, right?  In retrospect, we don't even know if there is anyone out here to trade with.  He seems happy enough with the idea, though.

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:26:05 pm »

22nd Galena, 1051

That blasted child has already started causing problems.  He decided to spend his ample free time disrupting work on Iton's workshop, preventing anyone from finishing it for some time.  Iton managed to chase him off eventually, and he seems to be content to play around in the storage area.  I'm not convinced that this is any better.

Digging continues.  I had forgotten how much I enjoy digging my pick into the stone just to see what I can find.  This mountain seems to be very rich in gems and minerals.  There's enough iron strewn about to make a dwarf salivate.  I'm salivating right now while I write this.  I hope one of these new dwarfs knows how to cook.

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »

It occurred to me while I was writing this post that if I keep actively playing, it doesn't really give anyone a chance to read/participate.  Silly mistake on my part.  There's just been a second wave of immigrants, bringing us to a total of 18 dwarfs.  Plenty of room for changing jobs around if anyone wants a particular labor set.

---

11th Sandstone, 1051

We've had our first hostile encounter: rhesus macaques.  A large group of them climbed the mountain just to piss in my ale this morning.  One of them managed to make off with a spare axe, but one of our stray dogs caught up to him and took him down.  Soon there will be macaque roast.  I may have to give that dog a name.

25th Sandstone, 1051

More exiles!  Eight, to be exact, and they've all managed to come in from the one direction that leaves them stranded on the far side of a brook.  I suppose we'll have to build a bridge if people are going to continue getting themselves sent out here.  They seem to be decent enough dwarfs, though.  I suppose I should keep track of their jobs.

Geshud Urvadgerig - Stonecrafter
Dastot Logemostath - Woodworker
Kol Kuletgidthur - Weaponsmith
Nil Eraltathtat - Herbalist
Ineth Kubukilush - Leatherworker
Ast Solozonul - Woodcutter
Rigoth Likotalath - Metalcrafter
Rith Zatamatir - Trader

I'll have to speak with this Rith about taking over managing the trade aspect of things...assuming we ever get to do any trading.  None of them seem to have heard or seen anything about any kind of caravan on their way out here.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:06:44 am »

Watching

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »

24th Timber, 1051

Well, this is a shock; a trade caravan has come, along with a dwarf claiming to be a liaison to our "outpost".  He wanted to meet with me, which made me a little nervous.  It turns out all he was interested in was finding out what kind of trade goods I'd like him to bring next time around.  I asked him what he meant by "next year", but I couldn't get a straight answer out of him.  He made it sound like we might be here for a while, though, so I told him to bring as much booze as his wagons would carry.  I've got a feeling I'm going to need it.

I sent some of the boys up to the rest of the caravan with some trinkets a few of them carved in between carving out some sleeping quarters and building up some smelting space.  It wasn't much, but it got us some extra fish.  The cold has begun to creep in, and there's no telling what Winter will hold for us.