Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Welcome to the New Forum  (Read 58862 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Welcome to the New Forum
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:39:36 am »

It'll be rough for a while, but we'll survive!

Known issues:

(*) You must log-in using your Displayed name now.  The converter could only take one, so the separate user login name was dropped.  A few people were deleted because their displayed name had symbols that aren't used in this board.  Just let me know if that's you and I can put you back in the system.

(HANDLED) If you go to the second page of DF Announcements you get (and it happens many other places)
  Unknown table 'ml' in order clause
  File: /usr/shared/web/baygam/forum/Sources/MessageIndex.php
  Line: 351

(*) Last posts on every board are random (until people post on those boards).  This is actually a pervasive problem to do with how the dates/post ids were converted which we'll have to deal with over time.

(*) Topic squashage!  If a topic gets squashed waaaay to the left, let me know in this thread and I can fix it.

(*) First letter was cut off on all signatures -- you'll just have to put them back.  Some were also truncated a bit.

(*) Long topic titles cut off.

(*) Various html tags littered about, and they can be introduced into old posts when you edit them.  You can do links in your signatures with a url in square brackets (url=address)text(/url) <-- but with square brackets

(*) I'm a Bay Watcher!  He he he...  The Great Bay Watcher.

Let me know what else there is, and we'll try to deal with them!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:26:14 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the New Forum
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 08:49:28 am »

I found that long thread titles are cut off.
I tried to restore the title of my community fortress to the original lenght, but, after I saved, the whole message layout was altered:

I've always been the pacifist elven hippie concerning immigrants. I let them all live. I've had it with that now, so, here we go:<P><BR>Judge Orblock sat at his desk, unbelieving.<BR>Those damned uprisings! It had all gotten way out of hand.<P>It had all started when the King forbade the import of rope reeds from the Elves two years ago.<BR>Some say that, with weaving, dyeing and treshing rope reeds being their only source of income, this caused the dwarves of the Northern Outposts to become quite desperate. Some say even that it makes sense for a desperate dwarf <I>to act against the law</I><P>But ofcourse, Orblock knew that it was nonsense. He could smell Elven foul play from miles away.<BR>Did they really think that a dwarven King would fall for Elven trickery?<BR>Did they really expect him to lift his ban just because things had gotten a bit out of hand?<P>At first, as was expected, smuggling routes opened up. Wisely thinking ahead though, the King had ordered patrols of highly skilled ambushers at the passages to the Elven towns.<BR>The Judge had been busy conducting trails those days. He had been mild, with the sentences ranging from a beating to a few years in prison and a beating.<BR>Had he known then, that the prison complex was short on water, he would have been more stern.<BR>No dwarf deserved to die like that for so petty a crime.<P>Things turned quiet for almost a year. Although there were reports of starvation in the Northern Outposts, the King would not hear of sending any more trade caravans that could not return with profit.<BR>Then the disappearings began. At first, it were only one or two border patrols that never returned from their duty.<BR>It wasn't long though, before the first disturbing reports came in from the Northern Outposts of nobles and government officials vanishing without a trace. Investigators sent by the King to solve the dissappearings went missing a well.<BR>With local authority gone, the situation in the Northern Outposts has now escalated into a bloody rebellion.<P>Orblock looked again at the letter on his desk.<P><I>HIGHLY CLASSIFIED.<P>His Royal Majesty to the Judge Vabôkthak.<P>Sir Judge!<P>As is known, Law and Order form the base of any dwarven society. A dwarf who disrespects the Law cannot truly be called a dwarf, for it is an Elven abomination. We, the King, cannot tolerate this befouling prescence in our glorious Kingdom  ........................and so on............................... please the elves.<P>Subscription is now open!<BR>EDIT: initial party is full. Do feel free to request any immigrants though.<P>[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]<P>[ June 09, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]<P>[ June 10, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]<P>[ June 11, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]<p>[ June 13, 2008: Message edited by: martinuzz ]

All <returns> have been removed, and also the coding for italics, for instance, is changed to <I>, and doesn't work.
<BR> is single return
<P> is multiple returns

It only happens when you edit the post, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:03:31 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:21:55 am »

Well to me it seems I can only acsess the first and last pages of theforum.

But I have an old browser so it might be just that.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 09:25:53 am »

Nah, the paging problem was part of our time-sorting hack.  It should be fixed now.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:28:28 am »

I edited my post that contained a quote and it became seriously broken similar to what martinuzz posted. I guess that editing posts that were originally made on the old board is to be avoided at all costs if you don't want to manually correct all the formatting.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 09:30:21 am »

Yeah, I set this board to enable some basic html, but it doesn't seem to help at all...  possibly because the html UBB was using wasn't really proper.  Some of those tags look unmatched or otherwise wrong.

There might be some way to handle this though, but it might be a few days.

The continuing adventure.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 09:39:01 am »

After I posted a new topic I was thrown to the general discussion (main forum) instead of last post of the thread. However after modifying it returns you to your post.
Can you please configure this to return you to your posted message instead of throwing you in the main forum?

Also I miss 2 things:
1) "Beyond Qualituy image in the main forums page (www.bay12games.com/forums), at the same place where we have "StA:God of blood) in these forums.
2) An ability to return to the main forums by clicking on that image (top-left corner, giant banner).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 09:43:50 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Janus

• Bay Watcher
  • huffi muffi guffi
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress File Depot
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:48:59 am »

After I posted a new topic I was thrown to the general discussion (main forum) instead of last post of the thread. However after modifying it returns you to your post.
Can you please configure this to return you to your posted message instead of throwing you in the main forum?
You can set it in your profile here:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;sa=theme
"Return to topics after posting by default"
Tomas asked Dolgan, "What place is this?"
The dwarf puffed on his pipe. "It is a glory hole, laddie. When my people mined this area, we fashioned many such areas."
     - Raymond E. Feist, Magician: Apprentice  (Riftwar Saga)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:51:47 am »

We have a squaschingproblem in the "Battle of the Gods II" thread. Please help us almighty Toady.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 09:58:26 am »

Poltifar's signature got cut off in the html.  Handled.

Obsidian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:23:25 am »

Pretty :D

I approve of this new-fangled board. Not that my opinion actually counts for anything, but... still! Also, the first letter of my signature was cut off... random.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 10:25:10 am by Obsidian »
Obsidian cancels common sense: Interrupted by insanity
!!carp!!

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 10:31:32 am »

This 'ere new-fangled forum thingy looks to be a bit of alright: although them flickering posting options are gonna take a bit o' getting used to. Seems all my details transferred okay -- except for the known truncation of signature whatsit. But that's a pretty quick fix...

But what are we going to do with Superscript and Subscript? And I don't even want to know about the horrors lurking under the beguiling title of "marquee"  ::)
By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 10:38:09 am »

Awesomesauce!

MUAHAHAHAHA

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 10:42:40 am »

Yeah, I think options like marquee could be removed because they are usually abused, and they are annoying to read.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 10:48:13 am »

I agree, but it's really fun to make stuff with them.

Code: [Select]
-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11