Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

New "Task": Wait

(1/3) > >>

Derakon:
I propose a new task that would be assignable to any workshop/lever/etc: Wait. You'd get to select a number of ticks, and then as soon as the Wait task is next in the queue, it would activate and delay activation of the task following it. A few possible uses:

* Slowing a consumer down to match the pace of a producer (for example, if you have a legendary armorsmith and a dabbling furnace operator, you'll use up metal bars much more quickly than you create them)
* Allow periodic lever-based activation of traps without mucking about with the machine logic stuff on the wiki (putting a lever on Pull Lever / R alone doesn't always do what you need)
* Allow a single dwarf to split his time between multiple workshops. For example, if you want a dwarf to alternate between making beds and studding them with gems, then you'd put the bed and gem tasks on repeat, with a short delay after each so the dwarf would have time to pick a new task after each bed/gem task is completed.

Abyssal Squid:
2 and 3 sound pretty useful, but they don't sound like they'd work the same way.  With levers, you'd want the dwarf to stick around so he can flip it again as soon as its effect activates, a "joggle" task.  I can't see wait being very useful for them, but I also can't see a reason not to allow it in addition to joggle.

With legendaries, I'd rather have a "suspend instead of cancel" toggle for workshops and get my legendaries working in spurts, rather than wandering off after every job.

irmo:

--- Quote from: Abyssal Squid on June 15, 2008, 12:25:20 pm ---2 and 3 sound pretty useful, but they don't sound like they'd work the same way.  With levers, you'd want the dwarf to stick around so he can flip it again as soon as its effect activates, a "joggle" task.  I can't see wait being very useful for them, but I also can't see a reason not to allow it in addition to joggle.

--- End quote ---

The way to do that is to queue "Pull the lever, Pull the lever, Wait" on repeat.

Draco18s:
No.  As pulling the lever twice has the same result as pulling it once (but leaves the lever in the wrong position).

Pull, Wait(1), Pull, Wait(300), Repeat.

Cryten:
I think this would be good for setting up lever sequences but would add anouther unesciary layer to workshop ques. Though thats my preference feel free to think otherwise.

At the moment if I want a task which keep running out of materials to be done repedativly I just schedual it in a job manager, itll abort when it runs out of materials and then re add the task when materials become availible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version