Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Ill make you an avatar. That is Dwarf Fortress related.  (Read 20125 times)

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ill make you an avatar. That is Dwarf Fortress related.
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 01:36:27 pm »

This is what I came up for you helmaroc, I could make the bird a bit more erratic moving, but if not then there you go.

I want to make that barrel explode though.

I like it, but how about the single barrel is in the middle of the picture, (no other barrels or stockpile tiles in view) and the bird flies in a circle/square around the barrel once or twice and then the barrel explodes and kills the bird.  ;D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 01:45:25 pm »

It should be possible if you use GIF or TGA, but I forget how you tell it to handle transparency.  I don't really have a whole lot of experience dealing with that stuff.

Here you go:

1) Simple gif without background:

2) Animated (blinking) gif without background: (background is fixed)

if it's not too much trouble, can i get my current one made legendary?
Wait a bit, I'm gonna make all professions with "legendary". I will post the result here.

Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 02:01:09 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 01:58:12 pm »

Moin pl0x. I want to post it in his "forum" :p.
Really though, I could try it myself. If I wasn't busy. Busy busy busy. Really busy. Uhum.
*stands around idle for five minutes*

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 02:33:17 pm »

Professions' avatars
Here they are. Legendaries are on the way.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 03:51:39 pm »

Hmmm...

If it isn't too complicated, could I get something like a siege engineer firing a ballista?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 04:10:54 pm »

Hmm...   That gave me three ideas. 

One:  Goblin siege is making its way towards the fortress entrance.  A lone siege operator rushes to a ballista and loads it before getting into firing position...

He shoots the bolt, which flies out in a loose curve and decimates the goblins (which were attacking from the side of the map, so they're lined up just right).  Once it chews up most of the siege, the bolt continues back around, flies through a fortification, and then  completes the circle by flying straight back into the ballista, thus splattering the unfortunate operator.  The screen goes blank and states a single word:  "Legendary".

Two: A dragon is attacking the fortress, and is making its way towards the entrance.  A siege operator jumps into a ballista with a lever next to it and fires a ballista bolt at the dragon, skewering it on the tip.  While in flight, the bolt trails a string of "§" shapes that connects it to the ballista.

The operator gets out of the ballista and goes over to the lever, which he begins pumping furiously.  This winds up the rope, causing the dragon's corpse to be reeled in on the tip of the ballista bolt.

Three:  Little picture of a dwarf in a ballista that is surrounded by small chunks.  Dwarf fires the ballista, and the bolt flies off the side of the screen.  After a short time, the bolt reappears on the other side and flies back into the ballista, spraying operator parts into the predefined "chunky bit" piles.  A new dwarf steps up to the ballista.

As you can see, it takes me a very short time to come up with a complicated idea, and a very long time to come up with a simple idea.

EDIT:  Four:  Stream of siege operators that fire themselves into a wall using a catapult.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2008, 04:20:16 pm »

Hmm... Legendary siege operator catapaulting nobles into a wall?
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2008, 04:21:30 pm »

I think the forum community will set you on fire if you have something like that displaying everywhere because of the harsh transition between frames considering how conservative and vocal some of the members are.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2008, 04:23:47 pm »

I... don't follow you. ???

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2008, 04:33:14 pm »

Glaring, animated, repeated avatars/sigs = stick + face.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2008, 04:35:57 pm »

Oy, never thought of that...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2008, 04:43:40 pm »

Err... just imagine the legendary siege operator catapulting nobles into a wall .gif right?

Basically, when we get down to it, the most basic version of this .gif would be a single position animation (i.e: the picture doesn't "move" around. Sorta like mine there) with a catapult and the siege operator (blinking, no less). We've got a line of nobles at the rear, being loaded onto the catapult where they are subsequently splattered on the wall.

Imagine this being repeated endlessly.

In other words, here are the frames:
1. idle animation
2. load
3. fire
4. soar
5. splat
1. idle animation
2. load
3. fire
4. soar
5. splat

Did I do a good job explaining? Basically, it means that it would draw a lot of attention to itself. by having harsh transitions. How to say... each movement is strikingly different from the other, causing the .gif to stand out significantly.

How to explain... okay. Imagine those legendary avatars you see around right now. Now imagine they explode every 10 seconds. Something like that.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 04:49:56 pm »

Blinking is fine. Even little animations are fine. Explosions, however, are a bit extreme.

And when there is a blink, make sure there is at LEAST a second delay. Anything faster causes some... headaches.

Now if only I could get my freak'n Flash to work again...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2008, 04:50:41 pm »

Ah, I see what you mean. So just something simple?

Oh, who am I kidding, do I even need an avatar?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:54:44 pm by Impending Doom »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2008, 05:02:18 pm »

Everyone has avatars.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7