Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple foodstuff ... stuff.  (Read 2358 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple foodstuff ... stuff.
« on: June 16, 2008, 05:14:31 pm »

In ascending order of complexity:

1) Kitchen-made meals should require the ingredients be of different food types: ie. no more plump helmet roasts made of plump helmets, plump helmets, plump helmets, and plump helmets. This makes high-quality meals harder to make, and supports a diversified foodstream instead of a single-crop economy. Yays.

2) Meals should have numerous possible naming conventions chosen from a random list, possibly influenced by the ingredients (ie. the matgloss for an ingredient would suggest possible names, perhaps). Something made of plants might be a "salad" rather than a stew.

3) It would be nice if there was a way to get the kitchen to preserve seeds, bones, and shells if desired. I think it would be cool if there was an optional "prep" task done at a kitchen, extracting seeds, bones, and shells from things that had them, and increasing their quality by a small margin. Of course such things could be cooked with or without being prepped.

4) I've seen this one around in places: dwarves should get sick of eating or drinking the same thing all the time. If eating a food type they don't particularly like up to, say, 3 times in a row, they should start to suffer similarly to alcohol withdrawal. Or just get an unhappy thought. Of course, with enforced meal ingredient variation this is harder to get if you're preparing meals; a biscuit made from plump helmets and turtle would not count as the same as a biscuit made from plump helmet and dwarven syrup, even if they were both described as "plump helmet biscuits". Of course if they like the food, this shouldn't happen.

Cheers.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple foodstuff ... stuff.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 05:31:37 pm »

Lots of different ways to make kitchens more interesting have been suggested, and I'm pretty certain I've seen all of yours except the one for making dwarves get tired of repetitive meals. Toady has dev items to enhance the kitchen with recipes and the like, so it's all coming.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 07:28:37 pm »

In ascending order of complexity:

1) Kitchen-made meals should require the ingredients be of different food types: ie. no more plump helmet roasts made of plump helmets, plump helmets, plump helmets, and plump helmets. This makes high-quality meals harder to make, and supports a diversified foodstream instead of a single-crop economy. Yays.

2) Meals should have numerous possible naming conventions chosen from a random list, possibly influenced by the ingredients (ie. the matgloss for an ingredient would suggest possible names, perhaps). Something made of plants might be a "salad" rather than a stew.

3) It would be nice if there was a way to get the kitchen to preserve seeds, bones, and shells if desired. I think it would be cool if there was an optional "prep" task done at a kitchen, extracting seeds, bones, and shells from things that had them, and increasing their quality by a small margin. Of course such things could be cooked with or without being prepped.

4) I've seen this one around in places: dwarves should get sick of eating or drinking the same thing all the time. If eating a food type they don't particularly like up to, say, 3 times in a row, they should start to suffer similarly to alcohol withdrawal. Or just get an unhappy thought. Of course, with enforced meal ingredient variation this is harder to get if you're preparing meals; a biscuit made from plump helmets and turtle would not count as the same as a biscuit made from plump helmet and dwarven syrup, even if they were both described as "plump helmet biscuits". Of course if they like the food, this shouldn't happen.

Cheers.

Your dwarves live in a fortress that is constantly facing death, staring, neigh exhaling into it's eyes until it casues watery tears of rage to drip because of it's inability to vanquish your fortress. Are you really telling me that your dwarves should or even will care about what the hell it is they eat or drink? So long as they're gaining nourishment, they should be happy little bastards and work about as the outpost leader sees fit. To hell with making them happy by letting them indulge in certain foods. Plump helmets roast with minced plump helmets and finely diced plump helmets all around!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 11:01:06 pm »

Your dwarves live in a fortress that is constantly facing death, staring, neigh exhaling into it's eyes until it casues watery tears of rage to drip because of it's inability to vanquish your fortress. Are you really telling me that your dwarves should or even will care about what the hell it is they eat or drink? So long as they're gaining nourishment, they should be happy little bastards and work about as the outpost leader sees fit. To hell with making them happy by letting them indulge in certain foods. Plump helmets roast with minced plump helmets and finely diced plump helmets all around!

I giggle because I myself have noticed a distinct lack of interest in eating beyond nurishment...and I'm only in college.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:22 pm »

Are you saying my dwarves will complain in said life-or-death situation because they saw a mouse, but they somehow don't get tired of eating plump helmets every day and drinking plump helmet wine every evening? :) cuts both ways. Dwarves are, I think, supposed to be rather fickle. We need a few more unhappy thoughts, particularly ones that hit earlier in the game. In my opinion.

Derakon: most of what I have seen about modding food is tied into huge changes of the system, like tradeable recipes for regions and things like that. Those are cool, but I was trying to highlight some things that would be relatively easy to change.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 02:03:26 pm »

We need a few more unhappy thoughts, particularly ones that hit earlier in the game. In my opinion.
I agree, but they should be offset by a pretty strong "was excited to be part in founding a settlement" thought for the first few months.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:41:10 am »

where's the need? I've never seen a founding dwarf get worse than happy after the first few days. They seem to have very low expectations.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 03:02:41 pm »

They're fine NOW, but if you start adding lotsa bad thoughts for small things you definitely don't have when you start out there's going to be some serious tantruming like four weeks after embarking.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

All right, but it's not that difficult to start out with varied foodstuffs. It's only if one goes El Lame-o and brings nothing but a sack of turtles and another of plump helmet seeds that there's a problem... and that is something one should be prevented from doing anyway, in my opinion