Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sensible Mod  (Read 1132 times)

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sensible Mod
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »

DF lacks a lot of sense. So, I decided to beat some into it myself. I present to you:

Sensible Races Mod:
http://www.geocities.com/normandy_333/entity_default.txt
(If your browser does not download it for you, go to File->Save As... and put it in your DF folder. It will overwrite your default entities folder)

What it Does:
-It completely removes clothes (from all races) and balances armor/weapon distribution.

What it will do:
-Add city-dwellers for every size of race, making equipment easier to find.
-Balance weapon and armor distribution even more.

Notes:
-This mod is designed for people who play on small maps or smaller. If you play medium or standard maps, you will probably need to increase the max number of civilizations from one back to the standard amounts.
-I have not tested the long term side effects of the mod, such as when clothiers get fey moods and the like. If you get a clothier with a fey mood, I would highly suggest execution.

Sensible Agriculture Mod:
http://www.geocities.com/normandy_333/matgloss_plant.txt
(Once again, use 'save as' if your browser does not automatically download it. It will overwrite your plant matgloss.)

What it Does:
-Makes agriculture more difficult by increasing grow times while decreasing stack size of some notorious crops, like Plump Helmets.
-Rebalances the value of some crops and their extracts (e.g. Dwarven Wine worth 1 not 2, Dwarven Syrup decreased to 4 monies)
-Makes aboveground farming more interesting by adding growth times and variable seasons (I actually have not tested this, but it should work)

What it will do:
-Increase the variety of plants and the extracts that come from them.
-Make agriculture... difficult.

Notes:
-Once again, I have not tested the long-term side effects of this mod.
-Farming can actually catch you off guard now. I starved three times because I underestimated the amount of time necessary to grow a crop of cave wheat, and how much alcahol my dwarves would drink.

Sensible Wood Mod:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WOOD_TO_CHARCOAL]
[NAME:make charcoal (smelter)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:CHARCOAL]

[REACTION:WOOD_TO_POTASH]
[NAME:make potash (smelter)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:5:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:POTASH:NO_MATGLOSS]
(Simply append to the end of your default reactions file)

What it Does:
-Makes Charcoal a viable resource in non-forests.
-Makes Potash a viable resource in general.
-Makes the sensible agriculture mod not so harsh. (Turns the 10 stack of cave wheat into 15 stacks. Cook that brew and you've fed your fortress for months)

Notes:
-It does not allow the making of pearlash. You still have to build a kiln for that.
-Makes the 'wood burner' skill obselete. Promptly dispose of any wood burners in methods similar to those reserved for cheesemakers and the like.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Sensible Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:32:24 pm »

Sensible Races Mod:

What it Does:
-No more comfortable glacier fortresses due to lack of clothes. Freeze, dwarves, freeze :-).

And can you explain me please, what is the sense of all-naked races? Do you think that nudity makes more sense than clothes-wearing? =)

Anyway, nice work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:08:09 pm »

Clothes are kind of bugged at the moment... Male adventurers wearing fluffy panties out around town and all...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:32:53 pm »

You got a problem with panties on men? Hmmm?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:34:08 pm »

He should know our adventurers find them very comfortable.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:17:13 am »

He should know our adventurers find them very comfortable.

Personally, I wear seven spider silk dresses and a two bat leather thongs for logistical purposes. In the Goblin tongue I'm known as 'Manyfrocks, the Well-Dressed Terror'.

Don't judge me.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:04 am »

Eh, that thought never occured to me about the glaciers. I'll just increase the temperature range dwarves can survive. I think.

Mainly I did it because I was tired of sorting through piles of clothing in adventure mode after slaughtering a town. That and my dwarves usually end up naked anyways. Clothing is simply a fire hazard in my fortress.

Lastly, I fear the panties are simply divine retribution from Armok for making his clothing hauling queues so short. There is a reduction from 15+ pieces to 3-4 pieces per goblin. Picking up clothing is the ultimate prayer to Armok, remember. I find it the only logical explanation people would much rather pick up clothing in a warzone then close the front door.