Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random question re: item qualities  (Read 744 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random question re: item qualities
« on: June 16, 2008, 09:29:53 pm »

So I'm reading the wiki on item quality because I can never remember which adjective goes with which level of quality. And it says, right there at the top, "All items in the game have a base value, which is multiplied by what material the item is made of and by the item's quality."

And I initially read that as "All items have a quality, which is multiplied by material and base value." Which is very different from what it actually says.

And I'm wondering, is there anything in the game that prevents you from having, say, Masterpiece Felsite? Aside, of course, from the total inability to output new items with quality modifiers? Would suck rock make for more valuable furniture? What about more valuable stone blocks? Would those in turn make more valuable walls? And so on.

This is obviously totally pointless as it stands. I'm just curious. And I find the concept of a masterpiece hunk of rock hilarious. Maybe your legendary miners chop the rock into clever shapes as they go...

This is a Chert rock. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is adorned with bands of Turtle shell and menaces with spikes of Chert. On the item is an image of a dwarf in Chert. The dwarf is mining.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Random question re: item qualities
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 09:33:01 pm »

There are many items hard-coded to not have quality modifiers. I think. Although everything having a quality would be grand.

Only good-quality stones and gems for crafts, anybody?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:35:16 pm »

How do you imagine to get a quality rock? This is impossible now.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 09:41:59 pm »

Well, conceptually I'd say that a quality rock has no cracks in it and is of a size large enough to carve something reasonable out of.

As for actually obtaining one in-game, the only way I can think of is with itemcorpse, but I haven't bothered experimenting.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:18:45 pm »

High quality rock could be used for statue-carving;

"Oddom McDwarf cancels Make Rock Statue; needs carvable rock" would probably be a scenario if you had crap miners.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 04:27:11 pm »

You can get masterpiece blocks though. The first ever masterpiece in my first ever successful fort back in the 2D version was a granite block.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India