Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ronin's Ultimate Mod (RUM)  (Read 1385 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Ronin's Ultimate Mod (RUM)
« on: June 16, 2008, 10:27:58 pm »

RUM

What its aims are: To rebalance the game using my limited skills and the efforts of community mod-makers who I will acknowledge once I get my affairs in order (before publicly releasing the modification of course).

What it does thus far:

REMOVES

The boring old dragon.

ADDS

22 new sensible creatures painstakingly balanced to provide maximum immersion and entertainment.

- Green Dragon
- Red Dragon
- Blue Dragon
- White Dragon
- Black Dragon
- Vampire
- Ancient Vampire
- Pegasus
- Phoenix
- Hellhound
- Adamantine Man
- Copper Man
- Mithril Man
- Chicken
- Pig
- Giant Lizard
- Mammoth
- Giant Forest Spider
- Sabertooth Cat
- Ogre Mage
- Black Rhinoceros
- White Rhinoceros

Six new sensible metals painstakingly balanced to provide maximum immersion and entertainment.

- White Gold
- Nordic Gold
- Dragon Scale
- Mithril
- Red Brass
- Cobalt

One new toy

- Marble Set

One new plant.

- Corn

One new drink.

- Corn Based Bourbon.

One new extract.

-  Corn Flour.

Four new threats and two new boasts for MEGABEASTS and SEMIMEGABEASTS.

MODIFIES

- New attacks for almost EVERY creature and a BETTER more DETAILED damage system (courtesy of Sean Mirrsen).

- Several metals such as gold can now be made into weapons and amour (albeit cumbersome and impracticable ones).

- Tweaked properties of the metals (a little known fact is that bronze is more durable than iron, iron took over historically because it was easier to mass produce).

- Several miscellaneous creature tweaks such as improving the werewolf (now it is a truly fearsome beast).

- Crossbow and Bow damage and critical strike variables played around with to ensure that the crossbow is now more than just a bow with an extended name.

Now for the important bit. THIS THREAD WAS OPENED BECAUSE: I need your help. Ideas... Ideas... Ideas... The lifeblood of society as we know it. It would be good to have a focal point for discussion pertaining to the addition of new features.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:28:43 am by The13thRonin »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Ronin's Ultimate Mod (RUM)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:39:22 pm »

Screenshots of hilarious/awesome results of the mod?

And my suggestion: Have Titans be more fearsome. I imagine them as Zeuses, carrying thunderbolts capable of frying anything it touches. Giant things in the armor of the Gods, animated form the spirits of old heroes.

And the obligatory:

Wheres the Rum?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 10:43:18 pm »

Screenshots of hilarious/awesome results of the mod?

And my suggestion: Have Titans be more fearsome. I imagine them as Zeuses, carrying thunderbolts capable of frying anything it touches. Giant things in the armor of the Gods, animated form the spirits of old heroes.

And the obligatory:

Wheres the Rum?

Love the tag line. Hope it catches on. It's just a working title because as stated above it will be MY work in conjunction with THE COMMUNITIES work. This will be a mod for the people by the people.

I'll work on screen-shots and consider updating the titans as you said... I think increasing their size is an easy way out though, perhaps I can give them a few tags that will make them more fearsome. I will consider it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:45:15 pm by The13thRonin »

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:24:29 am »

What about corn syrup?

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:17 am »

i'd advise the focus of such a mod to not add plants. Unless of course a full fury of plants are added, subterranean and otherwise. A greater variety of the little things you've added such as toys and other such should also be greatly expanded.

The focus of the mod should be for immersion as you've stated, and real immersion arises from the littlest of details.

details, details, details

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 03:06:15 am »

Ronin, if you're basing your mod on mine (at least partially anyway), it would be prudent to use ModBase. After all, the idea was that mods would be developed for it, not converted to it afterwards, since that's more work.

And don't forget that many of said creatures and metals are already added by my mods, and with ModBase it isn't necessary to repeat them, you can just edit them.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:04:57 am »

Ronin, if you're basing your mod on mine (at least partially anyway), it would be prudent to use ModBase. After all, the idea was that mods would be developed for it, not converted to it afterwards, since that's more work.

And don't forget that many of said creatures and metals are already added by my mods, and with ModBase it isn't necessary to repeat them, you can just edit them.

I'd rather not use the mod-base. I want this to be a downloadable standalone version of Dwarf Fortress so that you can have both vanilla and this installed on your drive side by side. I have just thrown all my edits into the original text files that Toady set up and it is too late to change much of anything at this stage. Forcing me to use the mod-base is just going to take valuable time away from additional features (and in my opinion is unnecessary at this present stage).

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 02:29:11 pm »

Thats were Common the mod merger comes in!

You got it? I'll merge it!  Ill place those raws in their own files, and then make it mod base compatable (splitting current mods so you can have a choice of which version of what you want >:3)

Also, I could help in here, I have plenty of race ideas I was planning on doing.  Since mine is unreleased aswell, we could combine projects maybe?  or I could just give you some of my races to work on.

ALL I NEED, is information, and for you to make future edits in separated .txt files while I work.
info:
1. Are you using the same extended damage system as sean mirrsen? or have you expanded/modified it?  VERY IMPORTANT THANK YOU >:3

2. a list of the exact files you have edited, so I dont have to do any extra searching through long files.

3. if you can, a full list of changes would work wonderfully, and speed this up X10.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:19:04 am »

I haven't been keeping tabs on everything I've changed, I've made a LOT of miscellaneous tweaks including small tweaks to Sean's martial arts modification (the bodies). If you want to split all the changes up into their own mod-base compatible version then I have no reason to object. I do however feel the need to digress that I think you're setting yourself up for a LOT of work sifting through all those files.

If you could send me your text files then I'll take a look at them and see if they'll fit into the whole RUM theme (the predominant focuses are balance, excitement and immersion). If your files do indeed fit into where I'm looking to take the game I'd be happy to pair up for a joint venture. If not then I'll send you my text files so that you might get ideas or code from them that will benefit the community. I'm a big believer in the sharing of mod work and knowledge if the end result is positive for the community.

Continuing work on the modification tonight. Plan to add some new toys in as well as creatures and plants. Having some crashes with Sean's bodies, might have to see if I can fix that up too. I suspect the MOUTH_MAW entity as being the problem but only some testing will provide conclusive results.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 03:27:18 am »

I can provide (or, heck, already have provided) ready split versions of both my mods. Seeing how I was aiming to preserve most of the original raw structure, there isn't much to go through, in most cases the changes are the body line and any new attacks.

And I've no clue about the crashes. They started when I added them ribs, or so I think. I don't know if maws have anything to do with stuff, I think it's just the game going crazy after all the misuse. I mean, we don't know what kind of error the game encounters, so it may well be because my changes upped the [SKELETON] part count from one to twelve for the upper body...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 04:49:31 am »

I started a mod and am testing it lol. Not a lot of time to do that right now, but you might find it interesting.

Metal Mod http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=166(M&M) it increases the quantity of ALL metal ore to metal bars, and it also simplifies ores/reactions. Took me a while to figure it out, but it really is quite simple.

If you do use it I suggest lowering the quantity of bars. 100 is too many lol. I think around 40-50 would be about right for realism and practicality.
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 09:49:51 am »

I can provide (or, heck, already have provided) ready split versions of both my mods. Seeing how I was aiming to preserve most of the original raw structure, there isn't much to go through, in most cases the changes are the body line and any new attacks.

I think you're assuming that I just took your files and stuck them into my modification. I did a lot of work on them, the very first thing I did was to grab all of the creature stuff that I wanted to use and to shove it into the pre-existing files Toady created. Hence he would have to search every line of every file and compare with the original files. Seems like a lot of work for a small gain. I understand you're promoting your mod-base (a fantastic piece of coding in its own right) but I think you'll find that the situation here doesn't require it at the present moment. I don't have the time to convert it by looking through all the changes, I may very well do this sometime in the future. If someone else wants to have a crack at it, as I said, be my guest. My files are of course, as always, the community's files.

EDIT - I decided to start throwing everything I've modified into seperate files and creating correct documentation of it all to get certain people off my case. It won't be ready for at least a week. I'm working almost every day so I get only a few hours to mod.

DOUBLE EDIT - Name change, will start a new thread when ready.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 11:07:30 am by The13thRonin »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 03:33:07 pm »

Hm. I wonder if I can stuff a "raws comparer" function into modbase? I mean, I do already read raws in full, all I would need is another instance of the raws loaded from elsewhere and a function to iterate through all the stuff...