Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More in-depth Ticker?  (Read 1255 times)

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
More in-depth Ticker?
« on: June 17, 2008, 03:23:51 am »

I hope this hasn't been done to death, but how about more active info on what's going on in the game?

Right now we get announcements for fey moods/job interruptions/deaths and the like, but little else. I like to be a little bit more informed on what's going on. Is there anything like a calendar/updated ticker in the works?

It seems like it'd be helpful to get a message saying 'Urist McArmordwarf has finished crafting 5] Steel Plates', or 'Work order for 30 clear glass blocks complete'.

There's a thousand different things I'm sure we'd all like updates on. Is anything like this planned?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: More in-depth Ticker?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 03:54:26 am »

The notification for a completed work order actually does get announced.  You can check a calendar from the Z screen, top right.

Salbrismind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 05:51:57 am »

I would seconded this, but only for a few things. I already have problems with the log getting spammed with canceled work orders, the last thing we need are 20 more things to popup. Maybe notifications if a stockpile is filled? If a miner has nothing to mine? If he can't reach a spot? If your dwarves engage in battle? I can imagine this will be dealt with in the interface arc.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:28:03 am »

How about actually making it a ticker?

Scroll news across the bottom in the order which it appears.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:37:10 am »

I kinda like the idea of months slowing up in the announcement screen, it would at least give me some kind of time frame.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 07:10:36 am »

I expect that, eventually, the announcement list will be expanded and a submenu of
  • will be made to let the player choose exactly which announcements to see.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:42:23 pm »

That was the idea, honestly. I should've explain it more. Actually, I think it'd be tcool to have some of the news repeat. You could customize it, so say you want your food stocks to roll across the screen every minute or so.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 09:18:17 pm »

That was the idea, honestly. I should've explain it more. Actually, I think it'd be tcool to have some of the news repeat. You could customize it, so say you want your food stocks to roll across the screen every minute or so.
Honestly?  (And I know I'll be berated for saying this) If this game could have the interface basics of SimCity (2000 or 3000), it might actually make it past niche.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 09:57:32 pm »

Honestly?  (And I know I'll be berated for saying this) If this game could have the interface basics of SimCity (2000 or 3000), it might actually make it past niche.

It can't have the bubble-gum interface of a SimCity game because there's exponentially more to do in DF than there is in SimCity.

OTOH, you're right, the interface does need work. I'm sure by the time the game hits v1.0 Toady will have addressed that.

Edit: Also, DF will probably always be a 'niche' game - this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most casual gamers don't have the time or attention to detail a very in-depth, micromanagement-oriented game like DF requires. Roguelikes in general are niche games, for that matter. DF has far more mass-appeal than most RLs do, though.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 09:59:29 pm by Lord Dullard »

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 01:03:09 am »

It can't have the bubble-gum interface of a SimCity game because there's exponentially more to do in DF than there is in SimCity.

OTOH, you're right, the interface does need work. I'm sure by the time the game hits v1.0 Toady will have addressed that.

Edit: Also, DF will probably always be a 'niche' game - this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most casual gamers don't have the time or attention to detail a very in-depth, micromanagement-oriented game like DF requires. Roguelikes in general are niche games, for that matter. DF has far more mass-appeal than most RLs do, though.

If Toady actually manages to finish everything he's got planned (and the odds look pretty good judging current progress), DF would be a professional graphic interface away from being commercial-worthy. Without a doubt. There's a growing market for games as complicated as DF and perhaps even moreso, and as someone who's poked around with Sins of a Solar Empire and Europa Universalis, they don't have half as much to offer as Dwarf Fortress.

Look at EVE Online for christ's sake. That game has a steeper curve than a skyscraper, and its one of the most popular MMOs around.

Put it this way, I don't know if Toady has another job, but I'd be surprised if he'll still need it in a few years.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 02:47:15 pm »

I have trouble thinking interfaces outside of the windows standard, but a big screen with a checkbox next to every kind of alert and some A.I. type suppress options (Suppress cancelations for the same cause after 3) with their own checkboxes would go miles towards managing this.

Maybe add in some UI options (I seem to remember a section requesting support for UI modders, actually) to display popups for a clock or an expanded events screen (two or three lines instead of one, for example.)

Being able to control what you see would make it a lot more acceptable to see more.