Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Babies born on stairs fall to thier deaths. 38c  (Read 4163 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Babies born on stairs fall to thier deaths. 38c
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:13:09 pm »

I can't be 100% sure but it seems very likely that babies born on staircases simply fall to the ground and splat. The map I am currently playing is literally 10% stairs. Whenever I get a new baby announcement, 80% of the time it is immediately followed by an announcement that a baby has died from falling. When the dwarves are idle and huddled in the meeting place instead of at work on the staircases, babies never die upon birth.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Babies born on stairs fall to thier deaths. 38c
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 09:17:49 pm »

Are the stairs all chained together in up/down stacks?  I'll note down the problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 10:39:03 pm »

Yes, the stairs form a solid wall 15 levels high. I was using them to construct a big wall and a solid wall of stairs was needed to reach all the construction sites to make the solid wall.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:33:38 am »

One must admit, the mental image is fantastic.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:57:30 am »

Hey, cool, an actual bug.  And a pretty nice one at that.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 08:44:51 pm »

Nah, it's not a bug at all -- it's an undocumented feature! See, the dwarves pop babies out so fast that, without a floor to catch them, they go shooting down to the ground (or bounce down the stairs) and splat!

If you don't believe me, then why do you think that they have to search for them after giving birth? ;)

(For the humour impaired, I'm joking...)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside