Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: creature raw limits?  (Read 672 times)

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
creature raw limits?
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:52:31 pm »

So, I read somewhere that dwarves only take their prefstrings from the first creature file or two, alphabetically (can anyone confirm this?)

I'd like my dwarves to be able to use any creature prefstring... my thinking is that I can take all creatures and dump them into the same file. Will this work? Anyone know if there is a size or number limit for a creature_x.txt file?
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: creature raw limits?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 09:53:35 pm »

So, I read somewhere that dwarves only take their prefstrings from the first creature file or two, alphabetically (can anyone confirm this?)

I'd like my dwarves to be able to use any creature prefstring... my thinking is that I can take all creatures and dump them into the same file. Will this work? Anyone know if there is a size or number limit for a creature_x.txt file?

I've never heard of any such limit. Can anyone confirm this? I have multiple creature files and the prefstrings all SEEM to be working.

If there is such a limit I would be curious as to how... The creature files are all meant to be read by Dwarf Fortress as one big file after it finds all the [OBJECT:CREATURE] and that each creature has their own individual prefstrings.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:47:46 pm »

I just opened one of my modded savegames to see if this was the case. I checked my dwarve's preferences and they seem perfectly able to pick animals that aren't in the first few creature files.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 10:49:03 pm »

As one of those who's done extensive work on prefstrings, let me assure you it isn't true.

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:26:30 am »

All righty then. Thanks for clearing that up!
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law