Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your idea of a good starting place?  (Read 2752 times)

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
Re: Your idea of a good starting place?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 07:06:50 am »

I'm with Aqizzar in that I like lots off sheer cliffs to build bedrooms into with glass windows. I love a permanent water source, preferrably at the base of the sheer cliffs to act as a natural wall, and I despise water freezing in winter. Sand is a luxury, but I prefer it in a select area rather than all over. And I have to admit I have yet to find magma on a single map (but 1. I don't look for it, and 2. I don't play for military, I play for expansion, invention, and exploration).

I also avoid other creature habitats and flat, plain surfaces. I go for at least some wood, and middle range temperatures. I also make sure it's accessible to at least 3-4 races.

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 08:30:14 am »

I am a perfectionist. I usually create about 20 or so worlds until I find one that has a location with Magma, iron, flux, a chasm, coal, Adamantite, trees, sand, a source of running water (preferably underground),obsidian, if possible all ores and bauxite (in that order). It actually isn't too hard to find such a location, although quite often you only get all these features in a 3x7 or larger area.
Currently my fortress is build in a 4x4 area that has everything but a water source. I could have gone for a 3x3 area, but then I would have missed 2 magnetite clusters.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 08:46:14 am »

I require sand, magma, infinite water, and no aquifer. I really like iron, coal, flux, trees, and bauxite. Chasms and HFS are laggy but neat. Caves and lakes are laggy and not neat. Ice is annoying. Access to all civs but elves and goblins is highly preferable. I prefer a rugged surface but one with under 10 surface z-levels. This must all fit in a 4x4.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 10:34:48 am »

All of you are making lots of mandates. As a token of our appreciation, we've installed this beautiful bauxite floodgate in your room...
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 12:14:33 pm »

Cliffs, dirt, a river, and magma if possible. Depending on my fortress goals, I prefer to have civs available. Sometimes I just want to build in peace, so I just find a nice dwarf-only location.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 02:50:58 pm »

I shutter to think of the dwarf fortress noble equivalent of some of you.

I ask for simple things. 1-2 layers of dirt/sand, infinite water source, and magma. Of course no aquifer, I cannot think of a single use for those that cannot be taken care of with a brook and some channeling.

Xofrevlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt Page
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 03:35:14 pm »

Large natural waterfalls (and everything that entails) and a dense forest in a cold -but not freezing- climate would definitely be prime estate for me. There's just something nice about a soothing waterfall over my main entrance, that turns into a curtain of frozen death for three months of the year. Magma and sand would be a nice bonus, but not all that necessary if I found the first three.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 04:14:10 pm »

all i want is some water, some wood and it would be cool to be able to get underground before being exterminated :/

please no bauxite floodgate for me

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 06:53:35 pm »

Depends a lot on the purpose of the fort but...really just a brook and either trees or magma. Everything else is nice but not essential. My usual ideal spot?

A canyon with a brook running through it, sand, limestone or chalk, marble, and granite for stone, lots of trees. Magma is nice, but not required. All other underground goodies...unnecessary.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 07:37:48 pm »

…limestone or chalk, marble… All other underground goodies...unnecessary.
Really?
What are you doing with all that flux with no iron?
Bwa-ha-ha-ha
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 08:13:46 pm »

Really?
Bwa-ha-ha-ha

Iron walks up to you every year.

I personally only desire magma. I already consider iron too precious as it is. No need to make me never do smithing jobs.

As for preferred, I always liked a hill in the center of a map. It just seems easier to make a fortress on top of a whole hill, not on the side of one.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 10:06:06 pm »

Really?
Bwa-ha-ha-ha
Iron is easy, man.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I forgot to address my own mandate.

I like smallish, flatish, with unending water.  And magma is logistically nice.

I'm on my first map with underground water and heavily over engineered my Tower Cap Farm.  The holding tank fills instantly and the grow zone is massive and fills almost as fast but it took me two years to build.  But yeah, underground water leading to a chasm (to serve as the emergency drain for the primary shaft) is nice, too.

Iron is entirely unimportant.  Flux would be nice.  Sand, so far, just goes to prove my inadequacies, so I don't like it.

Elves, humans, dwarves, they're great.  But it's the goblins that matter.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:12:42 pm by loser »
ΘπĆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Sheezy

• Bay Watcher
  • Jon Ban Jovi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 11:25:22 pm »

An oceanside location with a river flowing nearby and a volcano.
<Naze>   A baby crying in the cave!
<Naze>   Don't go in there woman!
<Naze>   Your not trained for mutant superbabies!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 01:59:33 pm »

Really?
Bwa-ha-ha-ha

Well, yeah, goblins will provide tons later on. But, really, I've never had Limestone or Chalk without tons of magnetite. They're both sedimentary layers AND flux. What more do you need?

Marble I like because I've modded some stuff into it, and because I like marble in real life. Granite is a good source of gems, gold, and silver. And I modded stuff into that too. Oh, and not that it matters too much, but Marble and Granite usually give you the resources to create bronze. Good for annoying noble mandates, if you get some that really like bronze.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 03:59:43 pm »

Needs: Running water
Preferences: Underground Running Water, Magma, Sand, Flux
Bonuses: Bauxite, Trees, Iron, Adamantine, Small chasm (for garbage!)

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a site with all of my needs/preferences despite multiple world gens.  All of my magma spots have no flux or sediment layers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3