Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Huge question, unimaginably important.  (Read 6953 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Huge question, unimaginably important.
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 07:25:30 am »

Name's Martin. I zzz a lot.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Spud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 07:31:08 am »

Ussually i use  "The KGB" for games, however for one flight sim i used to play i was known as the "Red Potato" cuz it was WW1, that was shortened to Spud and i use that for non-modern games
I hate it when people answer "whats going on" with "not too much".
Plenty of shit is going on and you know it. Spill motherfucker.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 08:32:53 am »

The story of my name is long and stupid.  My habit of giving myself a bizarre, adorable name started when I was playing Morrowind.  I made a wizard, and couldn't think of a name.  I finally decided I'd name myself Mezzidrell, a boss from an old PS2 game.  That was too long, so I shortened it to Mezzy.  My brother and I found this name hilarious, so I used it everywhere.  Then I saw the name Muffles on Warcraft 3, and it replaced Mezzy.  Muffles was my original bay12 games screen name.  On April Fools Day, however, I changed it to Cthulhu since everyone was changing their names to Toady One.  In a bit of FORUM MADNESS, I found the next day that I could no longer change my name.  Hence, Cthulhu.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 09:18:01 am »

Ceasar?

Unless of course that's not an obtuse Eddie Izzard reference...

Nope, and I WISH I had made an Eddie Izzard reference in there. There IS a major clue in there, though. You just need to look Behind the Name.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 09:18:37 am »

LSTAR...
Well, my real name is Alasdair. Can you guess the connection? I was originally L*, but quite a lot of sites don't accept symbols in usernames. And people kept calling me Lasterix when they did.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Jamuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2008, 09:24:04 am »

My nick is just my initials J.M.K. with vowels in it.   JaMuK

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2008, 09:53:41 am »

It's just my initials. My real name is Darko Jelica.

That's an unbelieveably awesome real name.
It becomes even more awesome when you factor in my thick Eastern European accent. It's like I'm destined to be killed by James Bond in some spectacular way.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 10:40:06 am »

This name started as McDoom, which is simply a conflation of two things I happen to like, namely the frivolous addition of Mc- to a random word, and the word 'doom'.  I first used it on Puzzle Pirates, because let's face it, "The dread pirate McDoom" just sounds cool.  At least, it always does in my head.

When I signed up here, I decided the PP name didn't fit on a forum so I looked for something dwarfier.  "Doomhammer" has a nice dwarven ring to it, a little WHFB but none the worse for that, and so McDoomhammer I became.

I can only wish 'McDoomhammer' was anything to do with my real name.  I won't be posting that here (or anywhere public), because it's long, double-barrelled and extremely distinctive.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:42:53 am by McDoomhammer »
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2008, 10:44:27 am »

And for those who don't know, the avatar is from the classic Lucasarts game Full Throttle.  Not an internet toughguy thing.
I loved this game... This is like a sweet syrup for my heart.
Biker Ben...

Think a Happy dog name. Nothing tough, adventurous or noble. Think of a dog with a Face of God.
Scooby Doo?

Mine is from the ancient greek "Deov" [deon] which means "godly" or "related to god". I picked it when I studied ancient latin and greek so it was just a gesture of my love to ancient greek language. Also I liked how is sounds, since I'm Dennis/Den it's someway related too.

Later I knew that there's D'eon -> Deon surname which comes from french D'eon (which comes from Eon place).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 10:48:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2008, 11:02:41 am »

Quote from: Deon link=topic=19539.msg204228#msg204228  I'm Dennis/Den it's someway related too.

[/quote

I thought i was the only one..
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:29 pm »

In Civ you could name your Civilizations.

I kicked ass at that whole series of games due to my "spread like cancer 'cause the world doesn't have an oncologist" strategy.  (Of course they made that approach more difficult in Civ III & IV, but it's still doable and powerful.)

At some point when I should have been studying for college courses but was instead staying up way too late playing Civ II on a Pentium 100 (or it might have been high school courses I should have been studying for while instead playing Civ on a 386), I named a Civilization The Losers, their leader Moron, and all their cities different words for stupid.  (I ran out of synonyms for stupid and moved on to crazy at some point in each game that didn't kill me off early.)

I had a handle I had, way back, picked out for myself as a teenager on the BBS scene, but I needed another for a sock-puppet on some board or another.  (I think it was Penny-Arcade c. 1999.)  So I went with 'loser' because 'moron' was taken.

I eventually saw the angst-chosen handle of my teenage years as pretentious.  (It doesn't sound angsty, it's just pretentious.)  So now I'm just plain 'loser' almost everywhere.

Duke, your name is Spike?  Your given name?
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

It becomes even more awesome when you factor in my thick Eastern European accent. It's like I'm destined to be killed by James Bond in some spectacular way.
Croat? Serb?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2008, 01:39:15 pm »

Mine's pretty simple. Mephansteras was a type of creature I came up with for a D&D game back in high school. Back when I first needed to get an e-mail address, I got tired of trying to find something I liked that wasn't already taken, since I refuse to add numbers to my name. So, after being frustrated for a bit, I used Mephansteras. Which, no surprise, wasn't taken. It never is, so it's become my default handle everywhere.

Oh, and for reference it's kind of like the Aliens from the Alien series, but and ant head and no strange back protrusions.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2008, 04:25:01 pm »

Well my name was borne from two separate and distinct UO characters from... 98 I think.  Maybe 97.

I was rolling a guy who I intended to be the big dumb warrior, so I basically picked a batman sound - Krunk.  Unfortunately, around the same time the guys who made Dexter's Lab (Genddy Tartakovsky if memory serves) had a little superhero cartoon which also featured a big dumb warrior named Krunk.  The name has since taken another downturn as it has become a shortening of the term "crazy drunk" and is now featured prominently in music I don't listen to.  But I still like it.

Around the same time I was rolling a guy named Doctor Spleen, who was a mage/alchemist.  The Doctor thing seemed appropriate, and I think Spleen is one of nature's funniest words.

A year or two later, EverQuest came out.  My first character was Krunk, a Dwarf Paladin.  Once I got higher in level, I was able to add a surname.  Spleen didn't seem to fit the Fantasy setting as well as I'd have liked, so I changed a vowel.  And thus Krunk Splein was born.

I have since removed the space, since lots of places don't let you have one.

I also go by variations of the word "Bear" or "Ursa", because my three-year-old niece calls me Uncle Bear.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 05:47:23 pm »

Croat? Serb?
Bosnian Croat.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6