Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lamentations of Kogan, or, I wish I had spent it supporting Bay 12...  (Read 9504 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Lamentations of Kogan, or, I wish I had spent it supporting Bay 12...
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 05:57:50 pm »

umiman, you're the only one flaming anyone here.

There is nothing innately holy, sacred, or important about human life...  The meat machines our brains call home are no better or worse than those of other animals.  However, we are capable of reaching achievements that other animals cannot.  Through those achievements we earn our importance.

Human life has a base value of nil, but a potential value above most other individual animals.

That's just a hypocritical, and contradictory justification for being selfish.  If you truly place no value in life then the logical thing to do is end your supposedly worthless existence.

Secondly, saying something has no base value, but has potential value makes no sense.  The goose that lays golden eggs is valuable because of it's potential.  Kill it and it becomes worthless.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »

What would've really been weird, is if the guy woke up, was accosted by giant insects, ran away screaming, and at the end you find out they were people, and he was...  This sounded a lot better and more coherent in my head.

On killing for your family's prosperity.  Why is your family more important to them and their family?  Let's say you're a dad, who makes just enough to stay afloat.  You kill a guy, securing your family's prosperity.  What about his family?  Unless he has a working wife, his family is screwed.  Even if he doesn't have a family, and makes no contribution to society, he's still a human being.  We can't put anything above human life.
The question wasn't about killing someone else to secure your family's security. The chances of that happening is close to nil and even then, there are so many more things to consider before murder becomes a viable option. As I said earlier, every time someone attempts to make you feel guilty by putting a stupidly unreasonable example as an excuse, in this case, murder, it's pointless to argue it. It's like asking you to choose between shooting man A and shooting man B or you die. What's the frigging point? It's not going to happen and there's not much point to debating it because it ain't gonna happen. Even the person who introduced this scenario admitted it was all a test to prove I'm evil.

These sort of questions are completely loaded. There's no right answer. I could tell you right now that when you eat vegetables, someone else who is starving who could've eaten that vegetable by some strange act of chaos theory would have survived. So you killed him. Get my point? By eating that plant, you caused a cow to die. By shooting that man, you killed his kids. By not shooting that man, you kill your kids. There is no way to answer these questions simply because it's unreasonable to ask them in the first place. I can give you more examples of these kind of silly questions: There's a poisoned lobster. If you eat it, you will die. If you don't eat it, you will starve to death. This chicken holds the cradle of all life. If you kill it, you will cease to exist. If you don't, you will be raped and tortured as a kid.

I'm sure you can see that bothering to answer such questions is a futile act.

No... my question was, "If it would keep for family off welfare, would you kill someone?"  Not "Would you kill someone if it would keep your family alive?"  Ending a life to save a life is completely different from ending a life for economic gain.  I never called you evil.  I made a joke about Kagus being Neutral Evil, which is a reference to Dungeons & Dragons, the first roleplaying game.

Like I said, if you can't understand why someone would not kill a random person to improve the economic situation of their family then you shouldn't expect to be able to understand why someone wouldn't pirate software.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 06:28:13 pm »

Uh, no you didn't...  You listed thatguyyaknow's alignment as Neutral Evil.  You never mentioned me.

Okay, onto slightly less minor points...  You obviously do not agree with my assessment that base human life (I.E., the state of living.  Not to say anything about a person's job, family, personality, relationships, etc.  Just the basic state of being alive) is not innately worth anything more than that of other animals. 

So, do you view all life as equally sacred, or do you believe that human life is specifically important?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 08:12:15 pm »

Okay Children, there is to be no killing of each other in my thread, to feed families or otherwise.

As for the borderline poverty, it sparks from high health care costs and high health insurance costs. it's somewhere around 100 a week to do health insurance, and that still requires almost a grand dropped down if anything goes bad.

Saving 50$ over the course of a month isn't that big of a deal. Saving 400$ over a course of a month is. If I get sick in a manner that I can't get cheaply repaired, I've got tens of thousands of dollars in debt looking at me. That puts me into an actual poverty situation, unless I refuse to pay it (and be sure, I would happily not pay for medical bills if It was pay them or live under a roof)

Still though, it's not about me. it's about my brother, whom doesn't have access to the internet at all on his own.

Sure, he might be able to get free internet, and accept all the malware it installs onto computers with it, but it still requires internet to get, and the whole topic isn't about him not having internet, but the fact that there are others worse then me, whom 50$ is a major purchase, and worse then my brother, whom can't even afford internet. Games like Half Life 2 (which is the sole and only reason I never buy valve at all anymore) and now Spore Creature Creator, single player games that are raved about for stuff that has nothing to do with being able to connect to the internet, aren't offline and aren't very good at pushing across the fact that they require internet to play. Spore CC has it in fine print somewhere on the box, my brother found it eventually, but not in it's system requirements. Half Life 2 is the reason I read system requirements now.

That answer what the OP was doing and why Toadyone can get a couple bucks from me since I got a couple extra in the budget?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 08:21:30 pm »

Hmmm... that's an interesting thought process. You actually didn't answer my question, but I think I can get your reasoning from those words. Mind you it's quite different from what I'm used to seeing in Asian communities. I will note it down and see if I can adapt it for marketing and strategy. Thanks!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 08:22:57 pm »

I don't think internet providers have any special malware protection, they just have much higher speed.  If the computer already has protection of some sort (your flash drive could serve some use in that matter), you should be just fine.  Not that I know that much about the subject, mind you...

But that's not the point, as you just pointed out.  Man...  Looking over at the replies on the Spore forums, I really don't know what to think of them.  It's standard procedure to give new posters a certain amount of suspicion, but some of those posts have nothing to do with suspicion... 

Good to be here.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
Re: Laminations of Kogan, or, I wish I had spent it supporting Bay 12...
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 02:00:16 am »

You could always buy the game, and then download a cracked version and play that.  You've bought the game, so it should be legal.

Logically, it should be... yes.

Unfortunately in the US the DMCA doesn't make any provisions for breaking DRM, even for purposes you have the legal right to do. Basically even if a DRM scheme is denying you usage of something that you have a legal right to do, you're still not specifically allowed to circumvent it.

Canada is getting an even worse version of the law soon if Prentice gets his way, too.

Hence we see exactly why lobbyist-oriented lawmaking is truly evil... laws getting passed which harm the commonwealth in the interests of a minority.

Oh, and DRM is fucking evil in every shape or form.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 04:36:49 am »

Well if your brother ever does get free internet Stardock might be a good alternative to Steam.  It only requires an internet connection to register the product.  You don't even need to register to install if you have the CD.  Registering is just required to install updates and whatnot which you could actually download separately to your flash drive and bring to him since they don't use an auto-update system.  Just an idea.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 04:18:48 pm »

Uh, no you didn't...  You listed thatguyyaknow's alignment as Neutral Evil.  You never mentioned me.

I dont mind, after all who wouldn't want to be Kagus, even if only through a mistake.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:24 am »

I feel really sorry for your brother...
But it's strange, because when I bought my half life 2 copy, the shop had putted a bright red tag on it saying requires internet to register.
I'm not sure if they did the same with the spore cc or if it's just the shop that has an = warning system =.
Anyway, that's why I am glad I am living in Belgium. I couldn't even imagine how it is living with private health insurances and no retirement.
Hurrah liberalism, ey?

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2008, 10:19:46 am »

Anyway, that's why I am glad I am living in Belgium. I couldn't even imagine how it is living with private health insurances and no retirement.

It's very similar to living in Belgium, except we are screwed if we get old or sick. On the bright side, we get most of our paychecks!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!
Pages: 1 2 [3]